Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonic

Default Re: Question about Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuSooner View Post
    There are 10 Sonics in the Edmond area, with a populaton of about 75K. SoCal has 21 MILLION, with 10 million in L.A. County alone!
    That certainly does put it in perspective. Are you leaning towards seeking partners and going forward? I don't see how (barring the financial entry) you could miss. One of my favorite quotes is from playwright Neil Simon:

"If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine Floor."

Good luck!

I would definitely need partners and am already talking to some people.

Love the quote.

ever thought about a checkers/rallys

Well...

Now Sonic is telling me that all of Southern California is now obligated to 5 different groups.

I have to say I'm very disappointed in how they handled this... First said on their website that Southern California is available, took forever to respond to my request for information (more than a week to get an email), email says my territory is not available but then lists Southern California as available, flippant guy in their franchise department basically brushes me off and says the entire territory is spoken for -- even though there is a total of one Sonic in an area of 21 million people.

I guess the good news is that we should be getting some Sonics out here in the near future. But I have the feeling they sold the rights then not much will happen for quite a while.

5. Default Re: Question about Sonic

oh, that's disappointing for you I'm sure...

I'm sorry to hear it !
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Everyone I work with here in Atlanta loves Sonic. I go to Sonics about once a week either here in Atlanta or back home in Jacskonville. My kids LOVE the popcorn chicken. If you want to get rich MS consider Chico, Red Bluff, Gridley, Yuba City area in Northern California. Cost of doing business is much lower than SoCal and you would corner the market. You would probably have to set the extra money on fire just to get rid of it.

7. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Pete...I'll trade you one Sonic for one Wienerschnitzel.

My Son has worked for Sonic since his High School days. He now trains new Sonic Managers and workers in North Carolina, currently opening three new stores in the Raleigh/Durham area.

Personally...I prefer the Whopper. But when it comes to refreshments and desserts...Sonic wins hand down!

8. Default Re: Question about Sonic

I'd love to have a Blake's Lotaburger here in OKC. They are a New Mexico chain, but their hamburgers are great.I love Sonic cokes and used to like their steak sandwiches, but never eat the rest of the food.I LOVE Blake's cheeseburgers. I'd eat there a lot if they were here.

Well, FWIW, as Sonic has pushed hard to go more national, I think their food quality has diminished. They used to have really good hamburgers, but the patty size has decreased while the buns have gotten fatter. Service is measurably worse than before, with wrong orders, wrong charges, stuff that Sonic used to do really well before they were so successful.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Well, FWIW, as Sonic has pushed hard to go more national, I think their food quality has diminished. They used to have really good hamburgers, but the patty size has decreased while the buns have gotten fatter. Service is measurably worse than before, with wrong orders, wrong charges, stuff that Sonic used to do really well before they were so successful.
    Have to disagree with ya Dave...Can't say I can remember the last time my order was incorrect or when I received poor service at a Sonic

Can't say the same for every other fast food joint I frequent except for Chik-Fil-A

Sadly, expecting any fast food place these days to give a fig on service or correctness of the order is expecting too much. I no longer leave a parking lot without doing an inspection of each item, in each bag.

However, as I am right royally perturbed that it's come to this, I very seldom visit fast food establishments now. I'm happier, healthier andmy blood pressures down. I canna prove there's a connection, but I'm certainly not willing to bet against it.

But, to give credit where credit is due, Little Ceaser's hasn't fouled up a hot and ready order ina ges, and i still go there. It ain't special,l it ain't top of the line, but it is adequate for the price, it is hot when I pick it up and I can count on no surprises when I open the box, and there are precious few ready to go places i can say that about anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    People in California aren't that different than elsewhere, believe it or not. I think the one major difference is that a small percentage of the population is very fitness and health conscious... But the huge majority are just like most Americans: don't really watch what they eat.

I can assure you that we have a plethora of fast food places and they are busier than those in OKC. There are just so many people out here and people here actually spend far more time in their cars and less at home.

The drive-in concept is better suited to Cali than OK due to the weather. It's almost always great here and I know Sonics are much busier in that part of the world in the summers when the weather is warm.

Anyway, the idea intrigues me. The cost of entry is quite high so I'd have to pull in some partners if I wanted to go forward.
    Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy180 View Post
    Have to disagree with ya Dave...Can't say I can remember the last time my order was incorrect or when I received poor service at a Sonic

Can't say the same for every other fast food joint I frequent except for Chik-Fil-A
    Surely everyone's experiences are different. We haven't sworn off Sonic, by any means, but compared to when I first started frequenting Sonic, I think the difference is night-and-day.

For me, things started souring about two or three summers ago. I had carhops at a Northside Sonic arguing with me about the flavor of tea they brought to me; a clerk at a different Sonic that couldn't figure out how to operate the cash register without two others (plus a manager) assisting - only to find out they couldn't make it work, either. Then there was a completely different (third) Sonic where we sat in our stall for a measured thirty minutes to get four hamburgers - that were all prepared wrong. The problem was that we were in a rush to get somewhere at a given time, and I didn't have the luxury of getting out and complaining and making them rebuild our order. The irony was we had stopped at Sonic to grab a quick bag of burgers and it was a disaster.

All these things work together to dampen my enthusiasm for Sonic. Like I said, I haven't sworn them off, but I have come to expect really good service and good food, so when they miss that mark, it used to be an exception...nowadays, not so much. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerQueen View Post
    I'd love to have a Blake's Lotaburger here in OKC. They are a New Mexico chain, but their hamburgers are great.I love Sonic cokes and used to like their steak sandwiches, but never eat the rest of the food.I LOVE Blake's cheeseburgers. I'd eat there a lot if they were here.

There is a Lottaburger in Enid that my Mother swears is just like the old Blake's.... sometimes they drive from Wichita to Enid just to have one.... BTW, my Mom grew up in Santa Fe so Blake's Lottaburger is her all-time favorite.

And as for Sonic.... I can't remember the last time I had a bad service experience at one..... in fact, Sonic is the one place I go to MAKE SURE I have a good and fast experience....

15. Default Re: Question about Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Pete, why don't you see if the good citizens of Anaheim would vote to increase the City's sales tax by 1 penny for 10 or 12 months. They can be your partners.
    Hardy har har

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Hardy har har
    You like that hey

Default New Sonic - 150th & Santa Fe

This is probably technically in OKC, but will be used by Edmond Residents. Its nice for me because not far from my house, but anyone have an idea why they are building this so close to the location on Memorial? Are they intending on shutting that one down?

I had some information that the location on Broadway & 15th in Edmond isn't doing so hot and may go away in time (note that it was never remodeled).

Default Re: New Sonic - 150th & Santa Fe

Go next door to 7-11 for your Dark Roast Coffee and then Sonic for your breakfast burrito. Great combo!

Default Sonic Help

I live in San Diego and was watching television last night when a sonic drive in ad hit the screen it threw the whole family into a melt down.
    We miss Sonic! and Charcoal oven on NW Expressway, and real Bar BQ.
    Does anyone ship to southern California???
    Need a Tater Tot and Cherry Limeaid Fast!
    (don't even mention Braums)

20. Default Re: Sonic Help

Quote Originally Posted by NativeOkie View Post
    I live in San Diego and was watching television last night when a sonic drive in ad hit the screen it threw the whole family into a melt down.
    We miss Sonic! and Charcoal oven on NW Expressway, and real Bar BQ.
    Does anyone ship to southern California???
    Need a Tater Tot and Cherry Limeaid Fast!
    (don't even mention Braums)
    Tyler's: The Great Taste of Texas out in El Cajon will give you ribs every bit as good as you'll get here.

That is...If they're still there, I've not been to San Diego for a couple of years, and haven't lived there in a decade.

Default Sonic to introduce value menu

Sonic plans value menu
    by Kelley Chambers
    The Journal Record
    December 16, 2008

OKLAHOMA CITY – Sonic Corp. plans to introduce a value menu at the end of December, with a handful of food items for about $1, citing tough economic times for consumers.

Paul Macaluso, vice president of marketing at Sonic, said the company will offer a value menu with about eight to 10 items for those watching their pocketbooks.An exact menu has not been revealed yet. It is the first time the chain has introduced a value menu.

“There will be a variety of products that people can make complete meals out of as well as have as sides or snacks,” Macaluso said.

The Oklahoma City-based drive-in chain has more than 3,500 locations across the country.

Mike Donohue, spokesman for the National Restaurant Association, said more restaurants across the board are beginning to expand value menus, or offer them for the first time to help customers and themselves.

“Restaurants are operating under a weak economy and nearly unprecedented food price inflation,” he said. “It’s a very difficult time for restaurants.”
    Donohue cited U.S. Department of Labor numbers that showed food price inflation in 2007 ran at 7.5 percent, the steepest increase since 1981. For 2008 that number is expected to climb to 8 percent.

Donohue said restaurants are eyeing their bottom line, while trying to offer value to their customers and keep them coming in the door. This can be difficult, he said, since food costs amount to 33 cents on the sales dollar for most restaurants.

“This kind of economy lends itself to going the extra step to try to provide value,” Donohue said. “Restaurants have always done this, but in this kind of economic situation you’re seeing more of it.”

Macaluso said one step Sonic took in the last year to offer lower-priced drinks was the implementation of its happy hour program from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., when all drinks are half-price.

On Monday, Sonic also reported systemwide same-store sales were expected to be below expectations for the first fiscal quarter of 2009, which ended Nov. 30.

Same-store sales for November are expected to be more positive. The company said that increase reflected a more aggressive, price-sensitive promotion versus September and October.

Partner drive-ins, where the company owns a majority interest, are reported to have lagged franchisee sales by about 4 percent, which is expected to have an adverse impact on operating margins and net income for the quarter.
    Sonic plans to report its first-quarter results on Jan. 8.

22. Default Re: Sonic to introduce value menu

I find it telling that Sonic introduces a value menu because of the economic times, yet there has been reports McDonald's may be eliminating parts or all of their $1 menu because of the economic times.

I personally love Sonic and have never figured out how a burger with so little meat tastes so good!

Default Re: Sonic to introduce value menu

This is great news! I like Sonic, and I'd rather support them than McDonald's anyway. I've eaten both in the last week. I got food for me and my girlfriend off McDonald's value menu, and it cost about $6 for two large teas, two burgers, fries, and two pies. I ate at Sonic by myself the other night; I got a bacon cheeseburger and some cheddar bites, and it was $7.50. I can get an Irma's no name burger for that price!

24. Default Re: Sonic to introduce value menu

Ohhhhhh, think there is any chance they will bring back Pickle-O's for the value menu? I love me some fried pickles!

Default Re: Sonic to introduce value menu

Kewl, this offsets having lost a little community value card for Sonic. Lots of little BOGO stickers, most of which were never collected, even when offered. That little card, bought off a youth shucking them for a fundraiser, combined with two Sonics within 1.5 miles of home and another 0.5 from work, sure got a lot of use before I dropped it somewhere. I hope it found its way to a nice wallet or purse and isn't shivering in some drainage ditch.

Thread Information