Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213

Thread: Sonic

Default Re: Sonic

Wait... So no place to park and eat in the car?? Woah... that sort of made Sonic... Sonic.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Wait... So no place to park and eat in the car?? Woah... that sort of made Sonic... Sonic.
    There are still drive-in spots directly south of the drive-thru lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are still drive-in spots directly south of the drive-thru lane.
    Oh, those drawings looked like regular parking spots.

Are people actually sitting in the drive-in to enjoy their food/drinks? I've always been a generous tipper, but if there is a drive-thru option I'm going to use that instead of opting-in to tip someone at a drive-in. Tipping a car hop makes sense if you and the gang are hanging out, placing multiple orders, but those days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Are people actually sitting in the drive-in to enjoy their food/drinks? I've always been a generous tipper, but if there is a drive-thru option I'm going to use that instead of opting-in to tip someone at a drive-in. Tipping a car hop makes sense if you and the gang are hanging out, placing multiple orders, but those days are long gone.
    With Sonic I have always treated the drive thru option for drinks only, I will park and use a car hop for food/desserts/ or even drinks if we want to sit and chat. I find tipping is a lot less since it is a fast food place and most car hops are paid full minimum wage. If my order is large and I asked for them to come back a second time I will tip more, if it is just a quick drink order than it is less. Weather also plays a factor.

6. Default Re: Sonic

I usually will just say "keep the change" or give a couple of quarters.

Sonic has submitted revised plans for the NW 23rd and Penn location.

This looks like it may be the first of a new prototype.

For sale signs posted at the 23rd and Penn (formerly) Sonic location. Unless the signs are related to a different parcel within that larger property it looks like this prototype will only ever exist on paper! Am curious why Sonic (my understanding is that this is a corporate-owned location) decided to reverse course on the rebuild - as they were doing ok prior to Covid and have been doing really well during the last couple of months.

^

Yep, went up for sale last week.

$975K for .71 acres.

That looks like a shorter variation of the style at MLK & i44 that has been around for at least at decade or two

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    That looks like a shorter variation of the style at MLK & i44 that has been around for at least at decade or two
    The new prototype is actually quite different.

It has only one row of pull-in spots, a patio in front, 2 ordering stations for the drive-thru and bright graphics instead of masonry; the commonality is the drive-thru between the main building and pull-in row (MLK & I-44 location below):

Was just told by the brokers who have this for sale on behalf of Sonic that they decided the lot was just too small to warrant the investment.

And as you can see from the site plan, with this new layout they had almost no room for pull-in customers.

Was just told by the brokers who have this for sale on behalf of Sonic that they decided the lot was just too small to warrant the investment.

And as you can see from the site plan, with this new layout they had almost no room for pull-in customers.
    It seems like VASA Fitness too their north has way more parking than they need, held over from when it was a grocery store, I wonder if they tried to work a deal to acquire any of the parking lot/ally.

It seems like VASA Fitness too their north has way more parking than they need, held over from when it was a grocery store, I wonder if they tried to work a deal to acquire any of the parking lot.
    That lot was often completely full before the virus hit. I live nearby and drive by often.

14. Default Re: Sonic

I live in Shepherd and can attest to this. They need all of the parking. I know of people who have had to drive around the lot waiting for people to leave.

How about trying an urban format store with little to no parking?

Sonic has gone very average at best. Whataburger much better imo.

Wow, so they tore down the building to replace it, and then just decided to not bother?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Wow, so they tore down the building to replace it, and then just decided to not bother?
    Yes. I'm sure the current economic conditions didn't help.

Yeah. They've been doing great throughout all of this, but understandable to not want to part with a fair bit of cash and/or take a risk on a new concept right now, especially with uncertainty regarding the upcoming beef shortage.

It seems like VASA Fitness too their north has way more parking than they need, held over from when it was a grocery store, I wonder if they tried to work a deal to acquire any of the parking lot/ally.
    Before COVID I more times than not had to do several laps through the lot before finding a spot. I tried to go several different times just to maybe beat certain rushes and it was just always busy. It will be interesting if this time has cut out some of the people sticking to their resolutions.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/so...igned-oklahoma
    I imagine this is what the one that had been planned for 23rd street was supposed to be like?

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/so...igned-oklahoma
    I imagine this is what the one that had been planned for 23rd street was supposed to be like?
    Yes.

The lot at 23rd & Penn was just too small, so they decided to put it on the market.

Sonic unveils bold new design

Sonic Drive-in has planned to open the first of its new concept locations on the site of a recently demolished former Sonic at NW 23rd and Pennsylvania.

[prbreak][/prbreak]

But the company decided the site was too small for the desired layout and instead focused on a location Talequah which just opened.

The property at 23rd and Penn is now up for sale.

Press release:

On the heels of launching a new brand identity and advertising campaign in the spring, SONIC Drive-In recently unveiled the first drive-in of the brand’s new restaurant design – Delight. The updated look provides a fun and inviting space for guests to enjoy a moment of carefree bliss in their daily routine.

Located in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the first of the newly designed drive-ins features 18 docks, a drive-thru and a covered outdoor patio, where guests can dine under string lights and enjoy lawn games.

The exterior of the drive-in highlights SONIC’s new brand identity with pops of red, blue and a bit of yellow, reminding guests that summertime is a feeling, not just a season. The new design also pays homage to SONIC’s signature beverages, with a large, brightly-lit cherry placed atop the building as a nod to the more than 9 million Cherry Limeades enjoyed at its drive-ins across the country each year.

Inside the drive-in, a brand-new kitchen layout enables teams to operate more efficiently, delivering on the brand’s original slogan of “service at the speed of sound.” That quick service is amplified by SONIC’s Mobile Order Ahead platform, allowing guests to take advantage of contactless ordering and payment.

The updated design will also translate seamlessly to previous formats and footprints as SONIC grows its presence across the U.S., and internationally. Already, several SONIC franchisees currently building or remodeling their locations have taken advantage of this new design.

The second restaurant in the new design is under construction in Fort Worth, Texas, and expected to open in July.

Thread Information