Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sonic

Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

has sonic changed their card machines? i usually pay by card and the only reason i don't tip there is because the machine doesn't have an option to do so. -M

2. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    has sonic changed their card machines? i usually pay by card and the only reason i don't tip there is because the machine doesn't have an option to do so. -M
    It depends on the franchise. I always put my tip on the debit card at the Sonic I usually go to in Plano, but I can't in OKC on NWX west of May. We have a "Sonic Tip Tray" instead of a cigarette tray in our car. We keep it stuffed with stray one dollar bills just for Sonic tips.

If I pay by card, I give them a cash tip.

Lord Helmet Guest

I'm in the same boat. I never carry cash, so if the card machine doesn't let me add a tip, the carhop gets no tip.

5. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

If I use my card for payment I don't tip. If I pay cash, I always leave a small tip.

I usually tip a car hop a dollar or let them keep the change depending on the cost of the order. The car hops always seem appreciative when I tip them.

Bigray in Ok

I tip like I tip any other waitress, + - 15%. I'd like to use my credit card and add the tip on so I don't have to fumble with money. They should fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Didn't think about that. All this talk about Sonic and I made a Pickle-O's run last night. Asked the car hop and she said there they car hops start at five something and the inside staff start higher since they don't share tips.
    How could they startat 5 something if they don't share tips, minimum wage is like $7.25 I believe

9. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    How could they startat 5 something if they don't share tips, minimum wage is like $7.25 I believe
    Brian wrote: "...she said the car hops start at five something and the inside staff start higher since they don't share tips.

10. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

Yes, I tip every time. I learned how important tips are as soon I started working at Crest.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Luxton View Post
    Just wondering what everybody else does at Sonic. And if you do tip, how much, usually? I will occasionally tip, but it all depends on the carhop. If she's cute, I'll tip her a dollar bill. If she's just okay-looking, I'll let her keep the change. And if it's a guy, I don't tip at all.

What about you guys?
    I just want to say to everyone... Please do not tip a person base on gender and appearance. Not now, not ever! Tip them for whatever reasons appropriate to their job, but not personal preference.

I've had thousands of straight guys generously tipping me. I've tipped both, males and females. Seriously, gender is not important. Appearance is not important. Boobs definitely are not important.

Those girls are lucky I tip them anything at all considering all they're doing is carrying a drink from the building to the car and then I never see them again. Just barely tipworthy, and not at all like what a server does at a sit-down restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Yes, I tip every time. I learned how important tips are as soon I started working at Crest.

I just want to say to everyone... Please do not tip a person base on gender and appearance. Not now, not ever! Tip them for whatever reasons appropriate to their job, but not personal preference.

I've had thousands of straight guys generously tipping me. I've tipped both, males and females. Seriously, gender is not important. Appearance is not important. Boobs definitely are not important.
    Straight guys are known for being better tippers than women. I don't know how they stack up against gay people. And old people of any orientation are the WORST.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Luxton View Post
    Those girls are lucky I tip them anything at all considering all they're doing is carrying a drink from the building to the car and then I never see them again. Just barely tipworthy, and not at all like what a server does at a sit-down restaurant.
    Do you enjoy being single!!!

Twice, I've had carhops walk away with my change without counting it back to me. It is my decision whether to tip or not. I have tipped carhops in the past but after this experience, I won't make that mistake again. This is the reason why I never go to Sonic.

15. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

I do not tip. I don't treat them any differently than the folks at McDonalds, Burger King, Whataburger, etc. It's fast food, not a restaurant. They get full pay, it's not reduced pay because of tips, so why do they need one? Yes they walk around all day to deliver food, but that's part of the job. If they didn't like that part of the job, they could have worked at any of the other fast food options out there.

Besides, the place is usually so slow, if they were going to get a tip at the beginning, it would have been gone by the time i get my food.

If the lid is securely on my drink and napkins in the bag, then I tip. If not, then not.

17. Default Re: Do you tip at Sonic?

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I do not tip. I don't treat them any differently than the folks at McDonalds, Burger King, Whataburger, etc. It's fast food, not a restaurant. They get full pay, it's not reduced pay because of tips, so why do they need one? Yes they walk around all day to deliver food, but that's part of the job. If they didn't like that part of the job, they could have worked at any of the other fast food options out there.

Besides, the place is usually so slow, if they were going to get a tip at the beginning, it would have been gone by the time i get my food.
    I'm pretty much the same mindset. That's one reason I use the drive through - really no need to bring the food out to me because I rarely eat there or in my car. However, I do tip at the one at SE 29 and Shields when someone I know brings my food out. Sonic must have a policy of hiring felons because I've seen a few former victims of prostitution working there that were trying to go straight. I've tipped them and given them kind words on those occasions.

However, I'm no fan of the Sonic closest to our house. Our son had to quit when we realized the manager was allowing him to park his car there and then borrowing another employee's car to go out on school nights (back when he was in high school - we didn't allow being out past 8pm on school nights unless he was working).

**cough** cheapskates **cough**

J/K

I'd say it's similar to pizza delivery etiquette: http://www.tipping.org/tips/deliveries.html I mean they are "delivering" the food to you and it's an extra service. Plus, for crying out loud they're usually teenagers trying to make a little spending money.

Reminds me about the old Sonic or Classic '50s drive-in in Norman back in the '70s. It had a mechanical delivery system where the trays were on rails that traveled to each stall. I never saw it operate but heard the first week they tried it all the customers got shakes dumped on them.

Default Re: Good news and bad news at Sonic

I've been a Sonic Drive-In fan since I first encountered one of their primitive, original, locations as a child. It was in some hot, dusty, little town, somewhere on the hot (and dusty!) two-lane road between Boulder, Colorado and Shady Nook, Oklahoma (out on 23rd St. between Spencer and Nicoma Park). This was back when we used to make an annual summer visit during the hottest part of the year . . . Come to think of it: Like right about now! Except without air-conditioning . . . Or GIANT Soft Drink Cups.

It was probably a Sonic location somewhere up near the panhandle . . . (Maybe even in Kansas?)

I am glad to see that Pickle-Os are apparently back on The Menu.
    The Ched-R Peppers are fine, but Pickle-Os . . .
    Well they are something else.

Speaking of Deep Fried, Crunchy Comfort Food . . .

When I was in high school--in Boulder, Home of The TwinBurger--there was another popular place called something like, "King's Family Food Host" or "King's Fine Food" or "King's Drive In" or just "King's." They were famous for amazing onion rings and fabulous malts/shakes. "King's" other claim(s) to fame were Cheese and Tuna Frenchies. Copycat recipes for those delights can be found all over Cyberspace.

(Sometimes they are referred to as "Frenchys" . . .
    The spellings of "Cheese" and "Tuna" are never altered.)

Perhaps ten or fifteen years ago, I actually called Sonic Corporate Headquarters--using a primitive "land-line"--to ask if, maybe, they could add these to their menu. I described them in some detail--without providing any Internet Links to the recipe since the World Wide Web was only just beginning to be spun.

The "product development" guy (or maybe just the janitor)--to whom I was talking--said:
    "Oh . . . Like a Monte Cristo Sandwich!"

I said: "Uh . . . Maybe . . . I dunno . . ."

(In addition to not having a computer at the time, I also had never heard of a "Monte Cristo Sandwich")

In any case, neither Cheese nor Tuna Frenchies have ever appeared on Sonic's menu.

And I have to wonder why (don't you?):
    Don't they already have all of the required deep-frying stuff (and even the bread and the cheese)? (Yes)
    Don't they already do onion rings? (Yes)
    All they would have to add would be some crushed cornflakes or whatever (for the extra crunch).
    Don't they already do "breakfast"? (Yes)

After all . . . Providing so-called "Health Food" has never been a Prime Directive for Sonic so I don't see why this isn't possible . . .
    (Even if it requires overriding the anticipated objections of Mayor Mick.)

Another suggestion would be to add "Steak Fingers" (like "Chicken Fingers" except not chicken and higher on the food chain). They already "do" "Chicken Fried Steak" so the transition should be easy. (I'm not sure about the Odessa, Texas-style Dipping Gravy.)

Just so you know, a "Cheese or Tuna Frenchie" is to a "Monte Cristo Sandwich" as "Pickle-Os" are to ":Ched-R Peppers": Not the same thing at all.

Oh, before I forget: Always Tip at Sonic. Always.

No, I don't wonder why cheese or tuna frenchies don't appear on Sonic menus. Any kind of food will have some people who like it but that isn't something that sounds appealing to me at all. Sonic isn't going to change it's menu based on a casual call from an unknown person. Even if you don't approve of their menu items, they actually do market studies and testing on food items that they might add to the menus. What you're describing would have limited appeal or it would be offered in many places.

Did I say that I didn't approve of their menu items? (No, I did not.)

In fact, I approve of some of them so much that my wife and I actually hit the closest Sonic just tonight to see if Pickle-Os had actually returned. (They had.)

The other menu item I approved of was one of those new "New York Style" hot dogs.

BTW: We also tipped the carhop two dollars. I think she approved.
    A good rule of thumb might be to tip the carhop one dollar per adult and fifty cents for each child in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Did I say that I didn't approve of their menu items? (No, I did not.)

In fact, I approve of some of them so much that my wife and I actually hit the closest Sonic just tonight to see if Pickle-Os had actually returned. (They had.)

The other menu item I approved of was one of those new "New York Style" hot dogs.

BTW: We also tipped the carhop two dollars. I think she approved.
    A good rule of thumb might be to tip the carhop one dollar per adult and fifty cents for each child in the car.
    Perhaps I should have said you disapprove of a lack of certain items on the menu then. However, I really wasn't talking about just you specifically when I made that comment. It was meant as more of a general observation.

Oh those pesky pronouns . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Oh those pesky pronouns . . .
    You're always supposed to understand exactly what I mean with no further explanation. LOL

Thread Information