Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Coffee

1. Western Ave. Vintage Coffee

I was advertising in another thread and it was suggested that I get my own thread, so here it is!

We also own a little coffee shop in OKC. Vintage Coffee at 150th and Western. It's not really a trendy and edgy kind of place, more laid back and low key. I can't do trendy + caffeine, makes me irritable! lol.

Come by and give us a shop before you decide on your favorite coffee shop. All of our beans and Teas are organic and fairly traded and taste great, we think they are the best product in the market. We love both brewed coffee and espresso drinks, you'll have to try both and tell us which you like better. We also have great frou-frou drinks for those with a sweet tooth. In fact, we created the Smooffee drink - frozen yogurt and espresso and your choice of flavor. Perhaps you've seen the Sonic copy of it with their soft serve "ice cream" and dehydrated "espresso"?

We have couches - tables - bar stools, free wifi, fresh baked goodies from Brown's Bakery and sandwiches from Kolache Kitchen. We also have a drive-thru when you are on the go.

2. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

While I'm selfishly hawking my wares, here is a list of our weekly summer night events:

Tuesday Night - Game Night. Bring your favorite board or card game and a group of friends or challenge a stranger. Also Wii games and Rock Band. $1 brewed coffee (hot or cold) if you drink it in a mug or glass.

Thursday Night - Movie Night. Staff selection of campy movies you can watch and make your own clever comments on, a la MST 3000. So far we've watched Goonies and Beetlejuice, who knows what we'll watch next?
    Free Popcorn with purchase.

Friday Night - Open Mike Night. Bring a guitar or your best comedy routine.
    $1-off Smooffee's and Latte's.

Saturday Night - Singles Mingle. Invite all your single friends who are tired of the bar scene. Relaxed atmosphere to meet new people.
    $1 Sandwiches or Sausage Rolls.

Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Perhaps a dumb question, but is that NW 150th or SW 150th?

nw. -M

5. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Perhaps a dumb question, but is that NW 150th or SW 150th?
    Yup, NW. The next street north of Memorial, and just east of the intersection of Western and 150th. The street turns into 33rd a few miles east as it turns into Edmond.

Went in today at about 1:30PM. The shop is inviting. Its very clean, has fun colors and decor. Definitely pulls off the 'third place' concept well. Mid-afternoon is a slow time, so it was just I in there. Barista was very friendly, and quick to take the order. I ordered a double espresso.

Shop uses a super-auto machine. It looked like a Franke, judging by the hemispheric-looking group, but admittedly I'm no expert on such things and forgot to look at the brand.

Anyway, espresso was served on a 15-20 sec shot, with some serious blonding at the end, served in a paper cup. In fairness, I poured it into a demitasse, so my review isn't exactly perfect. Tastes like the beans are a medium-dark blend, and the coffee came out a bit under-extracted and a tad bitter.

I don't know if I was undercharged, but $1.08 for a doubleshot is among the most competitive prices in town. Kudos to the designer. The shop has a long bar which would be really cool for hanging out. That seems to becoming more and more rare, even in third wave style shops.

Definitely one of the cooler-atmosphere hang outs along the North side. There's not a lot of coffee options up in Edmond, but I think I'd probably give Allaus the edge in Coffee, though neither have a particularly great product. I'd definitely go back. Coffee shops are about a whole lot more than coffee.

Lastly, I think it would be inaccurate to insinuate that Sonic ripped off the "Smoofie." Unless I misunderstand the product, the caffè affogato is not a new concept.

7. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Once the construction clears up in front of your store, I'll bet it really gets going. I live nearby, so I'll have to swing by to check it out.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

8. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by lpecan View Post
    Went in today at about 1:30PM. The shop is inviting. Its very clean, has fun colors and decor. Definitely pulls off the 'third place' concept well. Mid-afternoon is a slow time, so it was just I in there. Barista was very friendly, and quick to take the order. I ordered a double espresso.

Shop uses a super-auto machine. It looked like a Franke, judging by the hemispheric-looking group, but admittedly I'm no expert on such things and forgot to look at the brand.

Anyway, espresso was served on a 15-20 sec shot, with some serious blonding at the end, served in a paper cup. In fairness, I poured it into a demitasse, so my review isn't exactly perfect. Tastes like the beans are a medium-dark blend, and the coffee came out a bit under-extracted and a tad bitter.

I don't know if I was undercharged, but $1.08 for a doubleshot is among the most competitive prices in town. Kudos to the designer. The shop has a long bar which would be really cool for hanging out. That seems to becoming more and more rare, even in third wave style shops.

Definitely one of the cooler-atmosphere hang outs along the North side. There's not a lot of coffee options up in Edmond, but I think I'd probably give Allaus the edge in Coffee, though neither have a particularly great product. I'd definitely go back. Coffee shops are about a whole lot more than coffee.

Lastly, I think it would be inaccurate to insinuate that Sonic ripped off the "Smoofie." Unless I misunderstand the product, the caffè affogato is not a new concept.

Thanks for coming in, and thanks so much for the heads up on the espresso. I adjusted the settings to improve the taste. And yes, you were undercharged, lol. It should have been $1.75 + tax. But everyone deserves a cheap drink every now and then!

It was indeed a Franke super-auto, it's a great little machine. And the espresso blend is a medium-dark. You may have rushed the judgment a bit about our products. I'd give us another opportunity, if I were you.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an Affogato espresso poured over gelato and then eaten with a spoon? Our smooffee is more like a shake. Before we opened I did quite a bit of research on it, and I couldn't find anyone in the US who made anything like it. I could be wrong about the Sonic deal, but the coincidence and the timing is uncanny.

9. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Once the construction clears up in front of your store, I'll bet it really gets going. I live nearby, so I'll have to swing by to check it out.
    We look forward to serving you! Yes, we are very anxious for the construction to clear up; it was started about a year ago and has been very slow going.

10. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

It doesn't look like they are making much progress. Every time I go to Vintage, the road looks about the same.

Although, IMO, Vintage is well worth driving through a little construction to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Stark View Post
    Thanks for coming in, and thanks so much for the heads up on the espresso. I adjusted the settings to improve the taste. And yes, you were undercharged, lol. It should have been $1.75 + tax. But everyone deserves a cheap drink every now and then!

It was indeed a Franke super-auto, it's a great little machine. And the espresso blend is a medium-dark. You may have rushed the judgment a bit about our products. I'd give us another opportunity, if I were you.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an Affogato espresso poured over gelato and then eaten with a spoon? Our smooffee is more like a shake. Before we opened I did quite a bit of research on it, and I couldn't find anyone in the US who made anything like it. I could be wrong about the Sonic deal, but the coincidence and the timing is uncanny.
    I guess I misunderstood what the smoofie was. You're exactly right about what an affogato is. I was undet the impression that what you were serving. In any case, I'll certainly be back. A little finer grind adjustment (I assume) will go a long way.

Cheers!

12. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by lpecan View Post
    A little finer grind adjustment (I assume) will go a long way.
    done! I am absolutely grateful for the feedback.

It was set a little coarser due to high humidity we've been having.

Does "vintage coffee" mean the coffee is old and expired?

14. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Of course that is what it means. What a silly question.

15. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

That was mean and unnecessary. If you were trying to be funny, add a LOL or a smiley next time.

Here's one definition of vintage.... try Google or dictionary next time if you're not familiar with a word.

Vintage:

1. Of or relating to a vintage.
    2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

16. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Vintage:

1. Of or relating to a vintage.
    2. Characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic.
    Precisely!

We hear that joke about every 4 months.
    We knew it was coming.

Seeing as how I was the one who suggested you start a new thread, I feel the need to comment as requested. I've never been to your shop, but I love MST3K and coffee so I'll try to stop by on a Thursday night to get in on that.
    What are your hours? When does this movie night thing kick off?

18. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by mcbee04 View Post
    Seeing as how I was the one who suggested you start a new thread, I feel the need to comment as requested. I've never been to your shop, but I love MST3K and coffee so I'll try to stop by on a Thursday night to get in on that.
    What are your hours? When does this movie night thing kick off?
    cool!

hours:
    open at 6am Mon to Sat
    close at 9pm (or later if people are here) Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri, Sat
    close at 6pm Wed
    closed Sunday

we start the movie around 7pm - I was actually thinking about getting MST3K this week, put in an "official" request and that'll seal the deal.

Been in a couple of times. Nice store.

Wish you'd have been open while OKCMallen and I were growing up. Would have been very convenient!

20. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

coffee is just brewed and tastes good.....

MST3K secured (I watched it last night) and all ready to go for Thursday night.

I live right in that area, where exactly are you located? Are you in the shopping center that has the cleaners and the karate place?

Yes. He's on the far east side of the strip, right next door to Limerick Photography studio.

23. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    Yes. He's on the far east side of the strip, right next door to Limerick Photography studio.
    *DING!*

24. Default Re: Vintage Coffee - 150th & Western

I'm at Vintage now, editing the manuscript for my next book. Very nice neighborhood coffee shop, good Latte, good prices, friendly mellow vibe. Not at all corporate. Much better than Starbucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I'm at Vintage now, editing the manuscript for my next book. Very nice neighborhood coffee shop, good Latte, good prices, friendly mellow vibe. Not at all corporate. Much better than Starbucks.
    I know a coffee shop is not a sports bar, but do they have a TV showing the OSU game right now????

Thread Information