Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy's Egg

Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

Jimmy's Egg has been wildly inconsistent for me. I very much disliked the one in Yukon, and I'll never forgive them for attempting to serve me raw potatoes for the hashbrowns and then claim it was because the kitchen was 'too busy'. Too busy to cook the food? Screw you. Then the one in Mustang opened and it was fabulous. Until the day they served me what they claimed was chicken fried steak. I don't know what it was, but I know what it wasn't, and that's chicken fried steak. It's now to the point where when I enter a Jimmy's Egg, it's a flip of a coin how it's going to be. I feel they should look at addressing that.

I've never had a bad experience at the one on Classen and NW Expressway. It was the go-to spot for Sunday breakfast for my wife and me for quite some time with it being only a couple of blocks from my house.

3. Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

Used to be one of my favorite breakfast spots but has fallen near the bottom of the list in the last few years for the reason someone mentioned above.... The breakfast scene in OKC has improved quite a bit.... For diner breakfast these days it's pretty much Sherri's Diner.

I used to frequent the 16th & May location when I lived down that way, from the early 80's up to about 15 years ago. It was always good back then. And you could watch the cooking going on.

After moving out Arcadia way, we used to stop in at the 2nd & Bryant location, and it was always pretty good there. But haven't been there in quite some time.

Since moving into Edmond, we've been to the location on Broadway in Edmond several times and it was just ok, but the last time, the sevice was so bad we walked out after ordering and won't be back.

This location is in my hood and my wife keeps wanting to go but...I've never had an experience at JE that made me want to go back. I don't remember any really bad experiences, just none I thought were all that good. Admittedly, it's been years since I set foot in one. Thus far, I've avoided visiting this location too, but I did think about it yesterday when I passed by if I should try it one more time.

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Is Jimmy's Egg local? I thought it was a national chain.
    They're franchising now, but it was founded in OKC. Their headquarters are in Edmond, I believe.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    They're franchising now, but it was founded in OKC. Their headquarters are in Edmond, I believe.
    I would say local, as I remember when Jimmy was working for the ATSFRR as a “carman” at the repair track at 36th street in 1978, or so, before he started Jimmy’s Egg!

https://www.jimmysegg.com/about-us/

OUR HISTORY
    Since we started cracking eggs over 35-years ago in a little restaurant in Oklahoma City, our philosophy has been unwavering: Make all of our entrees fresh every day using only quality ingredients and treat every customer like they’re a guest in our home.

Fast Facts About Jimmy’s Egg
    Loc Le, a Vietnamese refugee who came to America in 1975 seeking asylum, founded Jimmy’s Egg.
    We fresh crack and cook 7,535,520 eggs each year.
    Our entire menu is served seven days a week from 6:00am – 2:00pm so you can have lunch for breakfast, breakfast for lunch or lunch for, well, you get the picture.
    Jimmy’s Egg has won 30 Best Breakfast awards.
    There are 40,000 ways to enjoy our omelettes. No one has ordered all 40,000 at one sitting. Yet.
    We prepare eggs over 10 different ways with scrambled being our most popular method.
    Cinnamon Roll Pancakes are, indeed, a thing. And they are an unbelievably delicious thing.
    Fill ‘er up! We brew 700,377 pots of coffee per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    I would say local, as I remember when Jimmy was working for the ATSFRR as a “carman” at the repair track at 36th street in 1978, or so, before he started Jimmy’s Egg!
    Jimmy's Egg is local born. From what I've been told, Vietnamese immigrant and rail road employee Loc Le bought a failing restaurant at NW 16th and May Ave. Which was either a Beverly's from the remnants of the "Chicken In The Rough" days, or a single diner called Jimmy's, I've hear both versions. This was in the early 1980s. The family got involved and their hard work and dedication have gotten them to where they are today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Jimmy's Egg is local born. From what I've been told, Vietnamese immigrant and rail road employee Loc Le bought a failing restaurant at NW 16th and May Ave. Which was either a Beverly's from the remnants of the "Chicken In The Rough" days, or a single diner called Jimmy's, I've hear both versions. This was in the early 1980s. The family got involved and their hard work and dedication have gotten them to where they are today.
    Pretty sure it was a single diner called "Jimmy's Cafe", because if it had been a Beverly's, then why would it be named "Jimmy's Egg/Cafe"? I think I read in the OKC Restaurants book that it was "Jimmy's Cafe", owned by a guy named Jimmy, and he wanted out of the business, so he sold it to Loc Le, who changed the name to "Jimmy's Egg" and started an empire. Could be wrong, but I'll check next time I see the book in a store/library, there doesn't seem to be anything online.

Thanks for the history, I had no idea since I didn't grow up in OKC. I'll have to add them to the breakfast rotation, I usually try to avoid national chains, but their is an exception for local national/regional chains

The first Jimmy's egg was on North May avenue and 16th as mentioned before. But it was a Beverley's Chicken in the Rough for quite a few years. I have eaten at both. It was one of the last Beverley's when it closed. The last one was on Northwest Expressway. I've been out of touch, but I think Beverly's is still open on Northwest Expressway near Independence.
    C. T.

13. Default Re: Restaurant closings

Yes Sir, you're correct, Beverly's is still there. Still in touch CT

Beverly’s was on nw 10th & penn when I first discovered it. It has been hungry frog since beverlys moved to expressway over 10yrs ago and changed ownership not long after. The chicken fry at the old location was some of the best I ever had.

Jimmy’s egg was at the original location as far back as I can remember into the early 80’s. I don’t know if they have or had any ties with jimmy’s round-up cafe on the south side but that business goes back to the 70’s at least and At some point it was tied to round up cleaners and round up pizza, which bought all the shakeys pizza when they left the market over 30yrs ago. Shakeys was very similar to kens pizza.

I don’t remember a Beverley’s ever at the jimmys on 16th.

This of course is all serving from memory.

Jimmy’s egg food has completely flipped from what it once was. The ingredients are cheaper than dirt and that “sausage crumble” stuff that’s in everything Isnt even worthy of frozen pizza topping. I see the practice on diner food to drive the cost down to nothing and sling a platter out for $4.99. I don’t need fancy all day brunch but I love to see what sunny side is doing.

I just got used Europe where tiny cafes dot the landscape and they all do great coffee and small but well made menus. I’m addicted to avocado toast now...

Yes, there was a Beverley's at 16th & May in the 60's

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    Yes, there was a Beverley's at 16th & May in the 60's
    Just confirmed that by looking in Pete's criss-cross directory and that page is horribly blurry, but it was called Beverly's Pancake Alley, so apparently when they went under, Jimmy bought the building and renamed it to Jimmy's Cafe (or Diner, not sure which, forgot to look at the OKC Restaurants book at B&N today when I was there, argh), then he sold it to Loc Le and it became Jimmy's Egg. Also, the Google Books excerpt of the OKC Restaurants book says that Beverly's was built in 1954, and Doug Dawg's blog has several mentions of that being a Beverly's. Now we know....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rte66man View Post
    So much for anti immigrant!

Uptowner,
    Jimmy's Egg has no connection to Jimmy's Roundup Cafe. I was eating at Roundup in the 60's several years before Jimmy's Egg started up. I believe Jimmy's Egg was started and still owned by a Vietnamese immigrant. And I think his name was Le. Jimmy's Roundup was owned by a redneck Okie.
    C. T.
    p.s. I could be wrong and am ready to hear that I am. But I think I'm correct on both of these places.

Don't think Jimmy's Roundup Cafe was there until the mid 70's sometime, that building was originally a Roy Rogers Roast Beef, unless they moved there from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Uptowner,
    Jimmy's Egg has no connection to Jimmy's Roundup Cafe. I was eating at Roundup in the 60's several years before Jimmy's Egg started up. I believe Jimmy's Egg was started and still owned by a Vietnamese immigrant. And I think his name was Le. Jimmy's Roundup was owned by a redneck Okie.
    C. T.
    p.s. I could be wrong and am ready to hear that I am. But I think I'm correct on both of these places.
    You are correct about Jimmy's Egg. I heard the owner speak at an event some time back and he told us his family's story of escaping Vietnam and making their way here to Oklahoma City.

BlackmoreRulz,
    My grandmother took us to Jimmy's for our second anniversary in the late 60's. I know, kind of cheap but she was old and on a fixed income. We enjoyed the company and the conversation.
    C. T.

Jimmy's Egg was started in the mid to late 70's.

Round up cafe, cleaners, and pizza though!

Noticed a new Jimmy's Egg in the remodeling phase. SW 29th about a block east of I-44.

Quote Originally Posted by dford2 View Post
    Noticed a new Jimmy's Egg in the remodeling phase. SW 29th about a block east of I-44.
    i'm trying to picture where that's at... just east of taco bueno?

Thread Information