Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy's Egg

Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    I thought millennials couldn't afford downtown? Or is that another tired stereotype like the rest of the post?
    Sure, some folks under 35 will frequent this location, but my guess is not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I'm sure this will sound wishy washy but I like being able to do both.
    Unacceptable. Pick a side and scream (preferably at Millennials) .

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Unacceptable. Pick a side and scream (preferably at Millennials) .
    OK fine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	15821

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    The Jimmy's on Hudson is doing okay. It is expensive and time consuming to build in the central part of the city, and this location was no exception. It is a new concept in that the back of the house is interlinked with Riviere, so there will be some economy of operating 6AM to Midnight in the building as a whole.

It is correct to think that jimmy's is being challenged by the new, trendy places. jimmy's has naturally moved into the traditional mainstay segment. It makes for less splashy openings, but it also means they don't drop off a cliff after 2 years. If a location closes, it is more strategic, rather than cut and run.

Jimmy's is a federation of family owners, for the most part. Mainly, it was Loc Le, then his daughters and sons in law helped take it to the next level. They have also added franchising, primarily in areas outside of Oklahoma. Ban Nguyen, who is Loc Le's son in law, is the earliest operator of independent locations. Hudson is one of those. Ban and his wife operate Jimmy's and their son operates Riviere.

It is my opinion that Ban Nguyen is the best operator of Jimmy's. He is serious about ingredient quality, and won't chase a 10% cheaper product. As a past president of the Oklahoma Restaurant Association, he feels like he has put himself out there and needs to live up to the reputation.
    Since you're buds with Ban, would be interesting if you'd let him know about this thread (starting here, post #100 - https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...75#post1105675), and get his thoughts on it. Also, next time you talk to him, it'd be a good thing to let him know to ramp up his marketing, put pictures on Yelp, do something rather than just rely on "We're Jimmy's, build it and they will come", which seems to be his strategy (could be wrong, but the server said they've pretty much done nothing to promote it). This is a nicer-than-most Jimmy's and would be a shame to have it die because nobody knew it was there or it was too uncool to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    I only go to SunnySide so often because they constantly do online coupons that make eating there about 45% off - which makes it much more adorable.
    Where are these coupons? Are they for drinks because the drinks there are outrageously priced.

Since you're buds with Ban, would be interesting if you'd let him know about this thread (starting here, post #100 - https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.p...75#post1105675), and get his thoughts on it. Also, next time you talk to him, it'd be a good thing to let him know to ramp up his marketing, put pictures on Yelp, do something rather than just rely on "We're Jimmy's, build it and they will come", which seems to be his strategy (could be wrong, but the server said they've pretty much done nothing to promote it). This is a nicer-than-most Jimmy's and would be a shame to have it die because nobody knew it was there or it was too uncool to go there.
    He is aware of the thread, but I'm pretty sure he has not read it or is up to speed on what we are talking about. I will relay your suggestions and I think they are all good.

I will say that I think Ban is in it for the long haul on this location. I get the impression that his wife has spent more time and energy on the design and implementation of this location that any other. And the entire concept and execution of Riviere is a family effort with their son being the operator.

He is aware of the thread, but I'm pretty sure he has not read it or is up to speed on what we are talking about. I will relay your suggestions and I think they are all good.

I will say that I think Ban is in it for the long haul on this location. I get the impression that his wife has spent more time and energy on the design and implementation of this location that any other. And the entire concept and execution of Riviere is a family effort with their son being the operator.
    Thanks, and it's quite evident they've spent lots of time and care on that location - like I said, it's the most up-to-date and nicely designed one we've been in. We're going to try Riviere next Sat night, looks good.

8. Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Where are these coupons? Are they for drinks because the drinks there are outrageously priced.
    They pop up often on OKC Sweet Deals. I picked up more last week.

Blog Entries

...COVID has claimed the life of @jimmysegg founder Loc Le...
    https://twitter.com/winerev/status/1337445271295434755

Default Re: Jimmy's Egg in Norman

Unfortunately the founders of Jimmy’s Egg has died from COVID-19:

https://kfor.com/news/local/loc-le-f...from-covid-19/

Default Re: Jimmy's Egg in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Unfortunately the founders of Jimmy’s Egg has died from COVID-19:

https://kfor.com/news/local/loc-le-f...from-covid-19/
    Although Loc Le bought Jimmy's Egg from Jimmy Newman in 1980, I think it is fair to say that Loc "founded" the chain. Newman didn't sell because he was tired of winning. He sold because he wanted out and was circling the drain. Loc was smart enough to see the value in Jimmys Egg, his family talents, and how it could all make a successful enterprise.

I just heard that his wife also just passed away from Covid. So incredibly sad. I feel terrible for that family.

13. Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    I just heard that his wife also just passed away from Covid. So incredibly sad. I feel terrible for that family.
    ONG! That is really sad. I'm so sorry for them.

Drove by and noticed the Jimmy’s Egg at NW 16th and May was torn down. Looks like a new JE will be built in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Drove by and noticed the Jimmy’s Egg at NW 16th and May was torn down. Looks like a new JE will be built in its place.
    Knocked it down about 8 this morning. There is an argument about the quality of the dead building over on the restaurant closing thread.

Knocked it down about 8 this morning. There is an argument about the quality of the dead building over on the restaurant closing thread.
    Not a single thing has been done on this - lot full of weeds and a chain link fence, ridiculous... Not that we'd go to that one if it gets built anyway, we've started going to the one on 39th/Portland.

They haven't even applied for a building permit at that NW 16th & May site where they demolished the original location.

The demo permit was filed way back in December.

They did file a new SPUD for that site some time ago but then withdrew it.

My understanding is they have a zoning issue with part of the overall plot. They are working on this with the city.

My understanding is they have a zoning issue with part of the overall plot. They are working on this with the city.
    Hopefully they get things worked out, but a lot of time has passed without any progress.

On a good note. They picked up the rental fences. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by ABryant View Post
    On a good note. They picked up the rental fences. Again.
    ??? The fences were still surrounding the site on Friday, 7/15, when I went by on the way to/from work.

??? The fences were still surrounding the site on Friday, 7/15, when I went by on the way to/from work.
    I think he means they had been blown/knocked down and then put upright again.

Read on Nextdoor that a new Jimmy's will not be built here. No idea if anything will be or if this is true, but wouldn't be a bit surprised.

Read on Nextdoor that a new Jimmy's will not be built here. No idea if anything will be or if this is true, but wouldn't be a bit surprised.
    I have been told they are not going to build at this time. The cost of the new and better Jimmy's was over 40% higher when they got close to "turning shovels", and the revenue projections were shrinking as well. Being over 50 years old, the "Original Jimmy's" wasn't throwing off any real cash for the owners, so it was a better financial move to leave it a vacant lot for the time being. They have no plans to sell the property and fully expect to build when market conditions improve.

Hope my "informant" is wrong, but he's hearing that the Jimmy's Egg Inc, is currently on the market. Hope it's just rumor but my source is very reliable!

Thread Information