Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy's Egg

Default Re: Restaurant closings

Quote Originally Posted by dford2 View Post
    Jimmy's Egg was started in the mid to late 70's.
    No, it was in 1980. Attached is probably the definitive history of the Jimmy's Egg startup, from Classic Restaurants of Oklahoma City by Dave Cathey. TL;DR is Jimmy Newman owned what used to be a Beverly's Pancake Alley (established by phone directory lookups, as well as others on other sites), Kim Le (Loc's wife) ate there in the mornings before opening her wig stores, liked it, heard he wanted to sell, and Loc bought it in January 1980. Jimmy's Egg has no relation to anything else named "Jimmy's whatever" in OKC.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0950.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	15203

Default Re: Jimmy's Egg

There also used to be a Beverly's on the south side of 23rd street west of Classen, where the Walgreens is now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    No, it was in 1980. Attached is probably the definitive history of the Jimmy's Egg startup, from Classic Restaurants of Oklahoma City by Dave Cathey. TL;DR is Jimmy Newman owned what used to be a Beverly's Pancake Alley (established by phone directory lookups, as well as others on other sites), Kim Le (Loc's wife) ate there in the mornings before opening her wig stores, liked it, heard he wanted to sell, and Loc bought it in January 1980. Jimmy's Egg has no relation to anything else named "Jimmy's whatever" in OKC.

Was it called Jimmy's Egg when Jimmy Newman sold it (or was it a Beverly's), and how long was that around? I looked yesterday out of curiosity but couldn't find any information from before Loc Le purchased the restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Was it called Jimmy's Egg when Jimmy Newman sold it (or was it a Beverly's), and how long was that around? I looked yesterday out of curiosity but couldn't find any information from before Loc Le purchased the restaurant.
    Don't know about that, I don't remember if the book goes into that part of the history (I checked it out of the library months ago, and took that pic at B&N last night, so I didn't look through it for more than that page). I thought it was called "Jimmy's Diner" or "Jimmy's Cafe" when he sold it, but as of 1969, it was still "Beverly's Pancake Alley" (which opened in 1954, according to another part of the book I found on Google Books). There may be ads/stories in the Joklahoman archives, but I haven't searched there yet, and wife's got a book on hold at Belle Isle, so when we pick it up, I'll try to remember to pick up the Cathey book too and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    apparently it was called that (or just jimmy's)... a 1982 review in the oklahoman of the second location at sw 59th & western contained the following line:
    Jimmy's owner, Le Van Loc, purchased the original Jimmy's from Jimmy Newman last year.
    no telling how long it was open prior to being purchased... the oklahoman doesn't seem to mention "jimmy's egg" (or just "jimmy's") prior to the 1982 review.

I got the story this week that when Loc Le purchased Jimmy's Egg from Jimmy Newman in the early 1980s it was named "Jimmy's Egg" and the only location was at 16th and May, in the current location. Loc purchased the property later in the 1980s from the landlord, who was no relation to Newman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I got the story this week that when Loc Le purchased Jimmy's Egg from Jimmy Newman in the early 1980s it was named "Jimmy's Egg" and the only location was at 16th and May, in the current location. Loc purchased the property later in the 1980s from the landlord, who was no relation to Newman.
    Well, it was January 1980, according to Dave Cathey (see the image in post 78), not the early 1980s. And I believe Loc purchased the restaurant (fixtures, etc.), not the building/land, in January 1980, so that seems reasonable. Might not have definitive proof of the name when Jimmy owned it until someone comes up with a photo (pics, or it didn't happen ). Thanks to Martin for saving me some search time!

Last I heard, January 1980 is in the early 1980s.

That is the version I was told by Ban Nguyen on Monday when he stopped by to visit me.

It was an old phone store (most recently) although it does have side overhead doors. Across the street north from the fire station.

Last I heard, January 1980 is in the early 1980s.

That is the version I was told by Ban Nguyen on Monday when he stopped by to visit me.
    Technically, yes, you're right about Jan 1980, but colloquially, when someone says "early 1980s", the first month of the first year of the decade isn't what comes to mind for almost anybody. Googled him and since he's their son-in-law, next time you see him, ask him if he knows what it was called when they bought it from Jimmy, that'd be one more piece of the puzzle solved.

Ban owns and operates 10, I think it is, Jimmy's Egg locations. He is the person on the OETA show about Vietnamese immigrants in Oklahoma who talks from his Jimmy's Egg location about the business and his time in it.

And I will say it again-it was already named "Jimmy's Egg" when Loc Le bought it from Jimmy Newman. That is what Ban told me.

And I will say it again-it was already named "Jimmy's Egg" when Loc Le bought it from Jimmy Newman. That is what Ban told me.
    Yep, sorry, overlooked that part in an earlier post, too many things going on with a really odd day at work, coordinating with roof repair guys, and doing Jimmy's Egg research today. So now the only piece missing is when it changed from Beverly's Pancake Alley to Jimmy's Egg 1.0, but that's for another day when I care enough to do more research...

Agree. I'm also wondering when the Egg logo was created?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post

Repeat an earlier post, I was working as a switchman on the ATSF RR when Loc was also working in the ATSF ‘car department’.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    The first Jimmy's egg was on North May avenue and 16th as mentioned before. But it was a Beverley's Chicken in the Rough for quite a few years. I have eaten at both. It was one of the last Beverley's when it closed. The last one was on Northwest Expressway. I've been out of touch, but I think Beverly's is still open on Northwest Expressway near Independence.
    C. T.
    And it is far superior to Jimmy's, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Really? I liked the Pancake Corner location, but when they moved and turned into Pancake House, we tried it and didn't think it was worth going back to. We did think about trying them again when this Beverly's/Jimmy's sub-thread got started, so I guess we need to try them. Haven't decided on a breakfast place for tomorrow yet, so we might give them another shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I'm very curious, as I actually have never been to either location. I'm not a huge breakfast person. But unless they're doing unique breakfast dishes, how is one far superior to the other? I mean, is Beverly's sunny side up eggs that much more delicious than Jimmy's sunny side up eggs? It wouldn't surprise me if they get their sausages from the same supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    I'm very curious, as I actually have never been to either location. I'm not a huge breakfast person. But unless they're doing unique breakfast dishes, how is one far superior to the other? I mean, is Beverly's sunny side up eggs that much more delicious than Jimmy's sunny side up eggs? It wouldn't surprise me if they get their sausages from the same supplier.
    Now don't you remember the huge discussion on the Sunnyside Diner over on Classen on how a sunny side egg should be prepared. (Not saying it wasn't a valid discussion). We prefer Waffle house because no one does hash browns like they do (especially scattered, smothered, covered, peppered and chunked)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Now don't you remember the huge discussion on the Sunnyside Diner over on Classen on how a sunny side egg should be prepared. (Not saying it wasn't a valid discussion). We prefer Waffle house because no one does hash browns like they do (especially scattered, smothered, covered, peppered and chunked)
    I actually don’t recall this discussion at all. Not a huge fan of Sunnyside after the one or two times i went. Food and service was ok.

New Jimmy's Egg coming to 3009 SW 29th; just east of I-44 and Taco Beuno.

Went to the new location on Hudson & 8th(?) this morning. This my second visit, as I went there last Saturday, also. Food and service were top notch. Wifi speed was fast and worked well. Did not try the bar.

This is a 100% Ban Nguyen production, IMO. From the site selection, property purchase, remodel, putting Riviere (sp?) next door and placing a bar inside both. Ban & his sons decided that they needed to step up the Jimmy's Egg game in order to respond to the increasing competition in the breakfast business by the likes of Neighborhood Jam and Hatch. Ban told me that he is committed to product quality at his 10 plus locations.

I think the best period for Jimmy's was in the early 2000s. Around the time the location on May Avenue just north of Memorial opened and for a couple years thereafter. Things kinda fractured after then. That is when I noticed the 16th and May, and Casady Square locations just weren't as good as they used to be. These are the two that are less than 1/2 mile from my business and home, so 90% of the time I'm at Jimmy's it is one of those. I think Ban is making sure his restaurants are the best that Jimmy's has to offer.

Speaking of Jimmy’s, I managed to get into Neighborhood Jam during yesterday’s service, and I was less than impressed. I’d forgotten how LOUD and full of basic b******* the North Penn location is.

Seems like you get better service in there if you have at least one arm tattoo. I might have to look into some different designs as I definitely lacked some of the street cred the HSG looks for in its patrons.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Speaking of Jimmy’s, I managed to get into Neighborhood Jam during yesterday’s service, and I was less than impressed. I’d forgotten how LOUD and full of basic b******* the North Penn location is.

Seems like you get better service in there if you have at least one arm tattoo. I might have to look into some different designs as I definitely lacked some of the street cred the HSG looks for in its patrons.
    Or just go to one of the many places that's better than the HSRG ones.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post

Seems like you get better service in there if you have at least one arm tattoo. I might have to look into some different designs as I definitely lacked some of the street cred the HSG looks for in its
    We were in there on Friday or Saturday morning and not only was it Yuppie-Central, the service and food were both excellent, as has been the case every time we've eaten there.

We don't go that often because it's so busy and I had forgotten how LOUD it is in there, so that was definately a negative for us.

Went to the new location on Hudson & 8th(?) this morning. This my second visit, as I went there last Saturday, also. Food and service were top notch. Wifi speed was fast and worked well. Did not try the bar.

This is a 100% Ban Nguyen production, IMO. From the site selection, property purchase, remodel, putting Riviere (sp?) next door and placing a bar inside both. Ban & his sons decided that they needed to step up the Jimmy's Egg game in order to respond to the increasing competition in the breakfast business by the likes of Neighborhood Jam and Hatch. Ban told me that he is committed to product quality at his 10 plus locations.

I think the best period for Jimmy's was in the early 2000s. Around the time the location on May Avenue just north of Memorial opened and for a couple years thereafter. Things kinda fractured after then. That is when I noticed the 16th and May, and Casady Square locations just weren't as good as they used to be. These are the two that are less than 1/2 mile from my business and home, so 90% of the time I'm at Jimmy's it is one of those. I think Ban is making sure his restaurants are the best that Jimmy's has to offer.
    Went to the new location today and it was by far the best food we've had at a Jimmy's in a long time (16th/May location was pretty crappy last time we went a few months ago, both food and service). Inside is way cool too, nice and modern. Needs more business, our server said, it's kind of slow, but she said it usually takes 6-8 months for things to get to normal at a Jimmy's (she's worked at a few). She also mentioned that Loc's daughter runs the Jimmy's and his son runs Riviere, going to try Riviere in the next few weeks, probably before the Kamasi Washington show at the Tower...

Thread Information