Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

Default any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

I notice we have interstate 40 west to east, east to west. and interstate 35 norht to south, sout to north,and 44 sw to ne,ne to sw, is there ever going to be a interstate from nw to se, se to nw? i think we need something like that to make it easier to get to texarkana, shreveport, woodward, and make it easier to get to colorado.. Any thought? and was this ever planned or in the works?

2. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I notice we have interstate 40 west to east, east to west. and interstate 35 norht to south, sout to north,and 44 sw to ne,ne to sw, is there ever going to be a interstate from nw to se, se to nw? i think we need something like that to make it easier to get to texarkana, shreveport, woodward, and make it easier to get to colorado.. Any thought? and was this ever planned or in the works?
    I'm not even sure who builds these; I thought they were federal...?

Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

I dont know either, I am just curious since a lot of new or future interstates are in the works like I-69 going through mississippi arkansas lousiana and the new i540 south of ft smith to texarkana, just wondering if we are getting anything new paved our way

Considering populations continue to decline out in western OK, there really isn't a need.

Eastern OK is already well served with highways and turnpikes.

Looking for easier? There's always Greyhound; you can sleep all the way to CO.

5. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

The only potential interstate I could imagine, would be one between OKC and Denver...I seriously doubt anybody needs a direct route to Shreveport and Texarkana.

Governor George Nigh was a big proponent of the "Northwest Passage," and I believe that the NWX farther out is called something like the "George Nigh Northwest Passage." I don't think there's the justification to build anything more substantial northwest of OKC because there's not another big population center at the other end (such as Tulsa, Little Rock, Dallas, Albuquerque or Wichita, or any through-traffic such as on I-40 or I-35.

i was jus posting because tghere is nothing between ft smith and texaarkana but there is plans for a i-540.

two words may explain that project Jesseda ... chicken farms

ok, that makes since, chickens, it a easier route than coming through okc

Not likely that would ever happen...traffic flow does not go that way in Oklahoma or nation-wide. Do not believe there are many interstates at all that run NW to SE, except maybe I-49 in LA, and if you've ever been on that, it isn't real heavily traveled.

there are also alot of mountains down se and that way making it an expensive road to build to cut through se okla or sw ark. I 40 east is about the best route for a road as it stands and its mostly flat all the way to the ark boarder.
    the best thing i can see built around here would be a loop from south of norman to route to I 40 either east or west of the metro, so it could reduce some of the traffic load off of I 35, but o wait we have the need for all of those travelers to stop off at the MIles of cars, and Miles of retail, and spend their money.....lol
    referring to the UNP in norman..

someday there should be a loop that connects around the metro like it does in dallas I635. i saw a plan one time for it and we are about 1/2 way there with the turnpike on the north and west sides. just need to complete something over on the se/ne and east sides of the metro.

I'm not even sure who builds these; I thought they were federal...?
    I would think that as a normal, intelligent libertarian, you'd know something about what the dadgum fed'ral gummint actually does.

13. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    I would think that as a normal, intelligent libertarian, you'd know something about what the dadgum fed'ral gummint actually does.
    Well then, please enlighten us as to precisely how interstates are funded and built, smart alek. (WITHOUT google.)

States build them to a national standard (to make them consistent from state to state so black helicopters can be easily landed on them anywhere) and receive federal funding for the construction.

Happy to be of assistance.

States build them to a national standard (to make them consistent from state to state so black helicopters can be easily landed on them anywhere) and receive federal funding for the construction.

You're not a conspiracy theorist r u?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    The only potential interstate I could imagine, would be one between OKC and Denver...
    This will happen at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    You're not a conspiracy theorist r u?
    Actually the standard was originally so that mobile ICBM launchers and other military equipment could be easily and safely transported across the country. So yes, the standards were originally set for military purposes. Strategic Highway Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although on the topic matter, I don't see much new Highway construction happening, with the federal gas tax income in decline there isn't any new money available for such projects.

19. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

Thanks for telling us about the funding and decision making process as to when/how they are built...or anything else relevant to the original post.

I just didn't realize I had to be well-versed in interstate highway construction in order to gain enough credibility so as to be allowed a political opinion. Jeez, people lik eyou just irritate the crap out of me on these boards. You make a dumb statement, get called out on it, then antagonize in unrelated threads. Nice.

there was a new highway just built to go from watonga to woodward that makes that trip a lot better than it used to be

not much help but i thought i'd throw that in

I just didn't realize I had to be well-versed in interstate highway construction in order to gain enough credibility so as to be allowed a political opinion.
    I think a person ought to have some knowledge of what the federal gov't does before complaining about it being out of control and taking over his or her life.

22. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

Jessida, there is a greater chance of I-45 connecting Kansas City, Tulsa and Dallas then there ever will be for a direct link from Texarkana to OKC and on to Denver. The United States is at a point right now where much of the interstate system is meeting the end of its lifespan, and at $20 million per mile to rebuild an interstate highway there isn't much justification for any new lane miles of interstate.

Couple that with sky-high gas prices, you will see less travelers on the road in the coming years, and more people taking rail or mass transit. Tulsa couldn't even get support for a toll road to link directly with Wichita. Not even I found it feasable.

Right now, the primary focus is investing in existing infrastructure. I believe the bridge collapse in Minneapolis was a rude awakening for politicians. That bridge wasn't slated for replacement until 2020.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

I don't have time to look it up now but there are several new Interstates under construction now. There is talk of one through Eastern Oklahoma from Dallas through Sherman/Dennison, Texas, to Durant and replace US69.

24. Default Re: any new plans for a new interstate in oklahoma

I-330? (I-130 is already in the works, connecting US 71 to I-30 near Texarkana.)

Thing is, you can't look at the Interstates from a state view. You have to pull out farther and look at it nationally. And nationally, a Texarkana-OKC-Denver Interstate wouldn't garner much need, IMO.

What DOES need to happen, though, is the following:

1. Turn the entire NW Passage/SH 3 into a four-lane divided highway. That's important to move the trucks that go all over the NW/Panhandle area.

2. Make the SE Oklahoma version of SH 3 better. Do what they've been doing to the NW part and 4-lane it and divide it from OKC to Broken Bow. While Little Dixie isn't a concern to many, I think it's important for OKC to have a clear route to every part of the state and right now, that part of the state is the only region without a direct route (that's of any quality anyway).

There will never be an interstate that way, but a solid SH setup like SH-51 from I-35 to Stillwater would be perfect.

Thread Information