Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bombers Stadium

1. Default Bombers Stadium

They're getting the new lights up today. They started a little before 8am with the cranes.

Default Re: Bombers Stadium

That's probably why we lost electricity for 30 minutes about noon.

It looked like they may have pulled a line down. (The buses back up to our back yard) Now it makes sense - thanks!

3. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

If you live that close, I must drive by your house virtually 20 times a day.

no doubt -I've lived on "Eddie's" street for 25 years!

5. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

I was wondering when they were going to get started on that project. The stadium itself needs serious help. They keep painting it, but it just needs to be rebuilt. It really could be done quickly, but that thing gets used all year long so its hard to plan.

I say tear down the home side and use the visitors for all stands for the post-football season and then get to work on a new all-metal stand like Broken Arrow's. Then they can work on the visitors stands after the next year's season. There are SOOOO many things wrong with that place.

Plus we really need some turf. Rainy years make that place a mud fest.

If they started now, couldn't they rebuild by football season? I wouldn't think the all-metal bleachers would take that long to put up. Of course, getting school board approval is another matter.

We rescued two of our cats from the area behind the home bleachers. They still go over there to hunt mice!

7. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

Well it would have to be funded as well, so bond issue. One problem there is that then the other schools would cry foul and want their own projects. There has been talk about trying to just build a single high school stadium for the district...like every other 6A district does. But word is, a certain 5A coach has been raising a stink about that. I'd like to see the district grow some balls and tell him to get over it. Then we could build a really nice large stadium. Much nicer than any of the 3 would be seperately. Just look at Putnam City for a great example of what could be done. Moore is getting there with the improvements they are making...so does Mid-Del still flush money down the toilet on this stuff?

I'd say keep one stadium (and that would probably be Rose Field because it's central to all the schools) and convert it to a middle school/track stadium. Then we can toss DC's and CA's since they are also both smaller and CA's is metal so it would be cheap to demo.

Then we can build a nice place over on 15th and Sooner near Sooner Rose Elementary. It's got a huge open flat field already...it's near the highway, central to the district. Lots of pluses there folks.

8. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

Of course.. being a CA alumni you're going to get some crap from me. lol

CA's is actually longer and has ample parking... but, if we were going to get rid of all three, i'll concur, then we can build and focus all in one space, like Sooner and 15th, or bulldoze HPM. That would work too...

\\\Edit\\\
    Plus, it's near Rose State, they can use it too.
    Last edited by mmonroe; 06-26-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: CAUSE

Quote Originally Posted by mmonroe View Post
    CA's is actually longer and has ample parking...
    I for one would love to see more parking at both Rose Field and over at CA. My daughter attends CA. When we would pick her up from there after the games it was horrible.
    When MCHS plays at home forget even trying to get through the housing addition. There were times in the past I wasn't even sure I could get between all the cars lining the roads.
    I live by St. Phillip Neri so luckily I have other ways to get to my house then having to drive by the stadium.

Don't even get me started about traffic and noise level during MWC home games - especially bedlam with DC!

I'd love to see the stadium moved out of the neighborhood and into the open somewhere. I hadn't thought about the area by Sooner Rose, but that would be excellent!

11. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

Parking is another reason why I hate Rose Field. Being with the band, I usually get there for the 5:00 rehearsals so I get first pick...hehehe. BUT getting out SUCKS! But for a middle school activity, I think it's still fine. I've never seen a middle school game that filled even the regular lot.

It's an excellent opportunity to build acceptable parking if they build a new off-site field though. All that empty field space...parking galore!

I hate parking at DC and CA too. DC even has access to different roads but leaving is awful. Getting out of the visitors side you're squeezed into that neighborhood and it takes an hour to get out. At CA, everyone tries to get out on Post so traffic SUCKS!

Build on 15th and you can have access through a stoplight! or even build another access road out behind Sooner Rose to Sooner Rd.

Just for the record, I don't hate CA's stadium. I just don't find it adequate for a 6A game since it's half the size of MWC's. And parking isn't much better than Rose Field because it's basically a middle school parking lot.

I'm sure it won't ever happen, but hey, I can dream.

12. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

Fields are the same size, it's a regulation. There is just more space on the end of the end zones that makes the track wider at CA, and that also makes the seating look smaller.

The field at 15th and Sooner does have an access road to sooner.

13. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

I know the field is the same size...duh. But the CA stadium is half the size of the MWC one.

New stadiums, repairs or any new construction requires bond issues. State law mandates this. It has to be planned, voiced and voted and approved. Want to know something nuts? School bonds require 60% passage, yet any other vote 51% wins but not if you are a school. The state does not provide funding for these type of costs. In fact the state has been very flat on any funding of public education when it comes to operational costs over the past 25 years (this is not to include teacher pay, that is seperate).

15. Default Re: Bombers Stadium

Yeah and we're one of the few places that require that..it's completely stupid. We all know how education funding has been horrible. No surprises there at all.

Believe it or not, building a stadium is actually one of the options on their reorganization plan. Facility Use Slideshow

Of course it doesnt answer any of the questions they have about the problems. It's been a topic discussed off and on for a long time. I'll give you one guess as to why it hasn't happened....or more to the point, who is the main hold-up.

It's going to be a mad crazy place should they ever build it though. Football in the fall then it explodes...soccer, track and field, etc. There are a lot of sports that use the place throughout the year. Scheduling would be tough, but it's obviously been done and is being done other places. Since Edmond doesnt own UCO's stadium, each school has it's own small atroturfed stadium for soccer/track/field/etc. Each "stadium" has seeting for a couple hundred or so, not big at all. But PC does have that sort of stuff at their schools, and they are also a 3 high school district.

Consolidation is a great way to save money. Should this ever happen, i would like to see them bulldoze Rose Field (folks, it's in horrible shape and is a pile of rusting crap...like Kalsu Stadium). Then they can rebuild Jarman on that lot and doze the old Jarman. It's a pile too. They've done work on it for how any decades now, but it's still a pile.

On the topic of the reorg, I would agree with them closing Sooner Rose because of how locked in it is. It's a horrible traffic location for sure. They could add a wing on the next closest elementary schools (like Traub) and split the kids. I'm TOTALLY NOT a fan of closing Jarman though. It's completely stupid to send everyone to Monroney. That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard anyone come up with. If they convert Sooner Rose into the alternative Academy to solve that attendance issue, the traffic there won't be as high as it is now so I don't really see the traffic issue still being there. Ugh so many things to talk about...

Rose Field. Four quarters. East West layout. Memories.

Thread Information