Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Default Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

I know we've discussed the rumor before, but it was confirmed in Wednesday's OKC Business.

Moore’s Warren Theatre plans expansion, additional location
    OKC Business
    By Pamela Grady - 6/18/2008

Bill Menke, corporate vice president of Warren Theatres announced plans today to expand the newly built 147,000-square-foot Warren Theatre in Moore.

Plans for expansion include 500 new parking spaces, a new restrooms and additional concession areas. In the fall, six new auditoriums will be added to its existing 14-screen facility.

Also, a second Warren Theatre will be coming soon to northwest Oklahoma City at Rockwell and Memorial Road, three miles west of Quail Springs Mall. The property is owned by Clay Farha of B.D. Eddie Enterprises.

“This has proved to be a two-market town for Warren Theatres,” Menke said. “We’ll probably begin construction on the new theater in the spring (2009) and open in spring of 2010.”

Menke said its current facility in Moore has two stadium auditoriums, the northwest Oklahoma City location will feature four.

During its April 4 opening week, Warren Theatre was third in the nation for two first-run movies: Leatherheads and Nim’s Island. The theater also plans two three-dimensional movies: Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11 and Fly Me To The Moon in August.

Moore's Warren Theater. Photo/Shannon Cornman

Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

I was a mile off, I guess.

3. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

This surprises me.

And FOUR balcony theatres? WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    This surprises me.

And FOUR balcony theatres? WOW.
    Yeah....this is a surprise. I expect Warren will be huge in north Oklahoma City.

I'd like to see them also open one up downtown -- maybe a 4 plex, similar to their Old Town Wichita one, which has 5 screens.

In AA or the Triangle?

6. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

That's not THAT far from Quail Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    I'd like to see them also open one up downtown -- maybe a 4 plex, similar to their Old Town Wichita one, which has 5 screens.

In AA or the Triangle?
    Warren asks city for $6M loan for Old Town theater

According to an analysis by the city's staff, "The Old Town Theatre is a popular destination in Old Town and serves as a major attraction to bring patrons to the Old Town area. However, its relatively small size, compared to norms in the movie theater industry, has created negative economies of scale that have resulted in significant financial losses during the theater's first five years of operation."

8. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Good to see Moore will get expanded. The NW side location isn't a shock. They are probably only getting a few people from that side who otherwise stick with AMC. The four balcony theatres really isn't a shock. Their ability to really sell these out in Moore is an indication people love the product.

This is in addition to the Dickinson theater going in the development just north of Quail.

which corner at Mem/Rock?

Since they are all empty!!! I would assume it would be on the north side of memorial since housing is on the south....

Well, I can answer my own question....NW corner. Large undeveloped area.

MadMonk Guest

Excellent news!

14. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Hum...so three fairly decent sized theatres in the same general area?

Who fails and goes under first?

15. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

good question.... but i have a lot of faith in warren. they offer an experience you don't get at other theatres. they provide a level of service and opulence that is unrivaled in the metro.

btw, i am so thrilled at the sprawl that is flourishing around the turnpike. that area totally reminds me of las colinas, frisco and west plano, texas.

I wonder what that will do to Quail Springs Mall? I work in the food court and the weekends and summertimes are DRIVEN by AMC theatres being open. Best case senario I guess is that the price will drop with the competition coming and business will stay relativley the same. Worst case is that the new theatres will drive AMC out of business... and the food court stores will cut hours to compensate loss of revenue and I will be out of a job by 2009

I pass the Warren in Moore most evenings during their prime time. For those who prefer lower crowds, Wednesday, not surprisingly in Oklahoma, seems to be the softest night, but their lot is by no means empty even then.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post

I also think warren will last that's a good (demo) for the theatre that's a young area of okc lots of kids and teens. Heck when I was growing up in the pc area only options we had for theatres was the dollar movies. or beg mom to take me to penn square mall which was rampant with gang violence at the time.

MadMonk Guest

I think AMC will be okay. There's a lot of us in the NW that don't like driving all the way to May Ave just to fight the mall traffic to see a movie. I'm sure they get lots of customers from Edmond anyway (does Edmond have a theater?) A little competition is good for the consumer.

BTW, the PC area's had lots of theaters come and go. I remember sneaking into the drive-in theater next to Hertz on NW Expressway (where Hideaway Pizza / the old Service Merchandise / Hemispheres is now). I also spent many hours in the little two-screen West Park theater at 63rd & MacArthur. There's Brixton Square, and the AMC in the shopping center on NW Expressway between Council and County Line (now an Express "convention center" I believe). Then there's the dollar theater that nearly ruined that shopping center at 63rd and NW Expressway. Tearing that down was a smart decision.

20. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    (does Edmond have a theater?)
    The best they have (as far as I've seen) is Kickingbird Cinema at Danforth & Bryant. It's a decent place, but not as nice as AMC Quail.

> the dollar theater that nearly ruined that shopping center at 63rd and
    > NW Expressway.

Only went there once, back about summer 95. Seemed ok at the time. Forgot it had disappeared

To tell you the truth, AMC at Quail Springs has always been my favorite movie theater. It totally revamped the entire mall, IMO. Kristae's right, the movie theater packs it in on the weekends, but I think it'll still be able to cater to the younger crowd, while the Warren will cater to the older, adult crowd (with disposable income).

When is the new development next to Quail Springs even going to start? I see very little dirt work. I have not seen any heavy equipment in the area. I have not even seen any work on water and sewer work. This would be the first thing to be laid out. IMO I do not think the theater will be built anytime soon, or in at leat the next couple of years.

I'd be happier to hear about a theater supporting some local and/or independent movies moving into town. Instead we are celebrating a place that over-prices their balcony seats for people wanting to buy over-priced drinks during a movie. It's a silly concept that works (sadly), but it does nothing for the art of film... in fact, it distracts from the film. Their concept (and prices) will get old quickly.

25. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post

Well if service at the new Dickinson is anything like at the Penn Square one, I'd say bad news for them, but they will have the benefit of an IMAX. It will be interesting. AMC is very popular but the Warren is sure to be as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    and the AMC in the shopping center on NW Expressway between Council and County Line (now an Express "convention center" I believe).
    and the North Campus of Northwest Baptist Church.

Thread Information