Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Sorry but I can't get excited about more sprawl along the Kilpatrick Tpke. I work up here now (temporarily) and can't wait to be in a different part of the city. I would be excited if this were being developed at the under-developed east end of Kilpatrick/Memorial where the future commuter rail line intersects it. Then it could be a TOD but not at Rockwell.

I'm curious why so many people want to live out west that way and not in the prettier hilly and tree-covered areas closer to I-35? Never made sense to me that the NE side of OKC was so sparesely developed while the ugly NW side was booming.
    I agree. Never made sense why the sprawl went more west and not east. Everyone thinks east is "poorer" and some parts are, but it is sure prettier and has the potential to be with all the hills and wooded areas compared to flat land out by Piedmont.

2. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I'm curious why so many people want to live out west that way and not in the prettier hilly and tree-covered areas closer to I-35? Never made sense to me that the NE side of OKC was so sparesely developed while the ugly NW side was booming.
    It's all about the school districts. I agree though. I don't understand the appeal of the far NW side.

Comparing "Far NW OKC" with NE OKC & Edmond is like comparing OKC with Tulsa. Geographically they ain't the same, but still more people call OKC home than Tulsa.

We chose to live near NW164th & Meridian because we could not afford Edmond or Norman. The open prairie has a charm and mystique all its own. The sun rises and sunsets are fabulous, the yipping of coyotes is enthralling, and the scissor tails, pippets and kildeer are fun to watch. Now about those damned potholes...

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Hum...so three fairly decent sized theatres in the same general area?

Who fails and goes under first?
    My vote would go to AMC. I HATE having to walk all the way through the mall when I have absolutely no desire to shop. If I'm just there for a movie, I'd rather go straight into the theater. Right now, we go to Tinseltown, unless something good is showing in the balconies at the Warren - then we'll drive down to Moore. We're only willing to spend the money on the Warren if something good is showing in the balconies. That may change if they're closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The new Warren can't open up fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking forward to never having to step foot in Quail Springs Mall, ever again.
    Amen! Preach on...

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is...that out of Quail and Penn, Quail is more prone to go under. Not that it will though, Quail is very active and supported well and I love that mall almost as much as Penn. Just saying that if one of them were to disappear it would be Quail. Just saying...ya know?
    I don't see either one going under in the foreseeable future. QSM is in the center of the hottest retail area in central OK; with its proximity to Edmond and far north OKC, it's got a large, affluent population base to pull from.

PSM is closer to downtown, the capitol, HSC and the central part of OKC than Crossroads, and doesn't have the gang issues. Its proximity to Nichols Hills doesn't hurt, either.

Penn Square has the highest retail sales in the state, Woodland Hills is second. If any mall would go under it would be Quail first. Penn Square is hot location and frankly I think it is the core shopping area of OKC. To me it's OKC very small galleria. Have you ever noticed how the Highway next to PSM, is like when your on 635 next to galleria in dallas. Everytime I am in dallas always think of that for some reason.

Any update on the Warren in NW OKC? I would not be surprised if he is scoping out places in Tulsa.

Quote Originally Posted by animeGhost View Post
    A very good friend of mine works there now... they tell me they were scheduled to install the digital projection system this summer but for whatever reason they postponed it.
    The AMC Quail Springs (at least some of the theaters) is definitely set up for digital projection. I saw "Body of Lies" there on Friday...the ads at the beginning of the movie were in digital. But they showed the actual movie itself using the film projection (the projectors were sitting side by side)....why!?!?!?

The preshow at almost all AMC theatres are shown on digital projectors. These, however, are not 'movie quality' projectors. They were installed at AMC 3-4 years ago and were installed to get rid of the old slide projectors. The digital movie projectors that AMC is installing in their theatres are EXTREMELY NICE! The projectors at Warren in Moore are 2K projectors (basically, they have like 2 times the resolution of a 1080p TV at your home), AMC is installing 4K projectors (4 times the resolution). When AMC finally installs these in Quail, the picture will be amazing. But I would not expect to see them for probably another year or so.

ought to be interesting to hear how it all shakes out. I don't tend to do movies on the north side, last one was ages ago at the old discount theater off 63rd and NWXPress, the far south of the north side I suppose

11. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Yay sprawl.

Quote Originally Posted by jsibelius View Post
    My vote would go to AMC. I HATE having to walk all the way through the mall when I have absolutely no desire to shop. If I'm just there for a movie, I'd rather go straight into the theater.
    You know, going to AMC/Quail wouldn't be so bad if they would just build an entrance directly into the theatre itself. You'd still have to deal with all the parking during the holidays, but you could bypass all the shops and stores entirely (which is probably why they haven't done that, and probably never will). Anyway, that would make going to see a movie there a much more enjoyable (or maybe less-enfuriating?) experience.

13. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

My dad always complains about having to go through the mall. I just don't really get that. I like walking through the mall. It's never bothered me.

OK, here is why the theatre entrance is inside the mall...

Back when AMC was still the 8 screen and they were looking to expand. They approached the land owner where the Super Target now sits and tried to get him to sell to them. They (AMC) were going to build a 30 screen movie theatre. The land owner laughed and told them no and that they would never make money with a theatre that big. Enter Quail Springs Mall... The mall was getting ready to 'reinvent' itself with a major remodel and they approached AMC with a killer deal if they would build at the mall. AMC wanted to build the building (a 30 screen) in the parking lot (not attached) with a court yard separating the movie theatre from the mall. The theatre would have been just like Grapevine Mills 30 in Dallas. The mall said no. They would only allow the theatre to build on the mall owned property if they built the building attached to the mall with NO exterior entrances. AMC fought this but eventually gave in. Thus, the theatre was scaled back to 24 screens and built attached to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You know, going to AMC/Quail wouldn't be so bad if they would just build an entrance directly into the theatre itself. You'd still have to deal with all the parking during the holidays, but you could bypass all the shops and stores entirely (which is probably why they haven't done that, and probably never will). Anyway, that would make going to see a movie there a much more enjoyable (or maybe less-enfuriating?) experience.
    Exactly my argument, and you're exactly right - they never will. The reason why I don't go to movies there. I'm either at Tinseltown or if something good is on in the balconies, I'll drive all the way down to Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    OK, here is why the theatre entrance is inside the mall...

Back when AMC was still the 8 screen and they were looking to expand. They approached the land owner where the Super Target now sits and tried to get him to sell to them. They (AMC) were going to build a 30 screen movie theatre. The land owner laughed and told them no and that they would never make money with a theatre that big. Enter Quail Springs Mall... The mall was getting ready to 'reinvent' itself with a major remodel and they approached AMC with a killer deal if they would build at the mall. AMC wanted to build the building (a 30 screen) in the parking lot (not attached) with a court yard separating the movie theatre from the mall. The theatre would have been just like Grapevine Mills 30 in Dallas. The mall said no. They would only allow the theatre to build on the mall owned property if they built the building attached to the mall with NO exterior entrances. AMC fought this but eventually gave in. Thus, the theatre was scaled back to 24 screens and built attached to the mall.
    Thanks for the back story. It makes sense, but it was really poor planning on AMC's part. Backward thinking. People are still shopping at malls, but less and less. They're moving out into strip malls and stand-alone stores.

Or maybe not... Retail building is basically disposable these days, is it not? Build something now, and 10 or 15 years down the road, you can abandon it and building something better a few blocks away, right? Maybe AMC really didn't HAVE to be all that forward-thinking. I wonder what will happen to Quail Springs Mall when AMC decides it doesn't like the setup it has anymore and it's going to move out? That's an awfully big space it occupies right in front-center.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    My dad always complains about having to go through the mall. I just don't really get that. I like walking through the mall. It's never bothered me.
    What's there to get? Not everybody likes dealing with the shopping mall.

(And thanks for the info, Insider.)

Anyway, how many more days until the Warren on Rockwell opens up?

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    The preshow at almost all AMC theatres are shown on digital projectors. These, however, are not 'movie quality' projectors. They were installed at AMC 3-4 years ago and were installed to get rid of the old slide projectors. The digital movie projectors that AMC is installing in their theatres are EXTREMELY NICE! The projectors at Warren in Moore are 2K projectors (basically, they have like 2 times the resolution of a 1080p TV at your home), AMC is installing 4K projectors (4 times the resolution). When AMC finally installs these in Quail, the picture will be amazing. But I would not expect to see them for probably another year or so.
    You're probably right. The projector that I saw showing the ads at the AMC (cosmetically) looked somewhat like a consumer-level projector...albeit probably an expensive one. I remember myself wondering if a "theater-grade" digital projector actually looked like that...I always thought that it would "look expensive" (for lack of a better term!)

18. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

We usually go to Tinseltown for most of the movies. We go to AMC only when they are the only one in town to have the movie we want to see. This happens a little too frequently for my taste. We have started going to the Warren just for the thrill of it about once per month. I too cannot wait until the new northside one gets built.

Tinseltown now has a digital theater in auditorium #10. Plus they are coming in below Warren's prices for 3-D presentations. So the competition is causing some changes

19. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

I went to Tinseltown for a matinee on a snow day this week and it was only $3.50!

20. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I went to Tinseltown for a matinee on a snow day this week and it was only $3.50!
    How about that? After 6 tickets are $5.50.

Not to break any hearts, but the management of Warren says they have 'postponed' the new theatre on the north side and the expansion of the theatre in Moore. When I inquired what 'postponed' meant, I was told that basically it will not be happening any time soon.

Not surprised with the current state of the national economy.

Is there any new info on the Warren on Memorial? Is it still going to happen?

I flipped over one of those lil' magic 8 balls at a Big Lots and it said something like don't hold yer breath waiting on it to happen. I trust magic 8 balls most times.

Quote Originally Posted by djohn View Post
    Is there any new info on the Warren on Memorial? Is it still going to happen?
    Nope, not going to happen.

Thread Information