Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

That's awesome. I love the Warren in Wichita and but I have less than zero reason to go south of I-40.. well, just about ever.

I'll definitely be a regular patron at the NW Warren. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84
    Well if service at the new Dickinson is anything like at the Penn Square one, I'd say bad news for them
    You can say that again. That theater has horrible service in every aspect. Once, I paid a fee for pre-purchasing tickets over the internet, when we got there they didn't have a machine to retrieve tix with your credit card or anything and there was a long line. I asked where to get my prepaid tickets and they said "at the ticket window." I said, "But there's a huge line, that's why I prepaid for my tickets!" I aksed for the manager who said some of their theaters have the machines but most don't and that's "typical Dickinson." I asked him what I paid for with the fee and what my advantage was in prepaying my tickets if I have to wait in the long line. He laughed and said "I guess nothing." I demanded my $3 back and got it. It's terrible over there. I remember the good old days of General Cinema in that spot - times have changed.

Have been wanting to check out Warren, but don't want to make the drive. I live in central OKC. I also hate the drive to Quail Springs and am not terribly fond of that movie house either. Try going there on weekend evenings and you have to fight your way thru teens, teens, teens! Like teens, don't like herds of them. I also don't like having to walk thru the mall to get to the movie entrance.

Sigh, I think I am showing my age here.

I considered going to Warren anyway, but found out you have to pick up your tickets at the theatre if you use the reserved seating and not interested in driving there TWICE to see a movie. Having reserved seating is the only reason I would go there in the first place.

If I am not right let me know. It sounds like a fun evening otherwise.

I can't stand AMC 24 any more because it is overrun with annoying teenagers who like to scream out profanity during silent moments of a movie. Lame.

From here on out I'm just going to the 21+ section of the Warren!

i am so glad that warren is coming to the north side of okc!! i worked in management for theatres in OKC for 8 1/2 years and these theatres are so nice. i think this will take the older crowd from amc who will be left with a LOT of the teenagers. i also believe that the edmond residents will drive out to experience the warren theatre....

6. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Sweet! Just found this thread ...yay! This location will do very well. Gaillardia is right around the corner.

A few minutes up the Kilpatrick - no yappy youngsters or annoying texters in the balcony section, I'm there, perfect! lol - yipee!
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I know we've discussed the rumor before, but it was confirmed in Wednesday's OKC Business.

Moore’s Warren Theatre plans expansion, additional location
    OKC Business
    By Pamela Grady - 6/18/2008

Bill Menke, corporate vice president of Warren Theatres announced plans today to expand the newly built 147,000-square-foot Warren Theatre in Moore.

Plans for expansion include 500 new parking spaces, a new restrooms and additional concession areas. In the fall, six new auditoriums will be added to its existing 14-screen facility.

Also, a second Warren Theatre will be coming soon to northwest Oklahoma City at Rockwell and Memorial Road, three miles west of Quail Springs Mall. The property is owned by Clay Farha of B.D. Eddie Enterprises.

“This has proved to be a two-market town for Warren Theatres,” Menke said. “We’ll probably begin construction on the new theater in the spring (2009) and open in spring of 2010.”

Menke said its current facility in Moore has two stadium auditoriums, the northwest Oklahoma City location will feature four.

During its April 4 opening week, Warren Theatre was third in the nation for two first-run movies: Leatherheads and Nim’s Island. The theater also plans two three-dimensional movies: Journey to the Center of the Earth July 11 and Fly Me To The Moon in August.

Moore's Warren Theater. Photo/Shannon Cornman
    I didn't mind driving to Moore for the best theater in town, but this will make the trip much, much shorter.

I can't say I'm excited about the location. It is just going to add to the urban sprawl.

the swrawl is already way beyond Memorial and Rockwell, this will just fill in blank spots

The new Warren can't open up fast enough, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm looking forward to never having to step foot in Quail Springs Mall, ever again.

11. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported. But I imagine that massive development north of it will keep it active.

But anyways. I don't go to the Warren, never have, no desire. I live on the Southside, 46th/ Walker. I'd rather go to Harkins. When I watch movies, I like to do stuff before and after, so I prefer the Bricktown area because we can do other things. Same with Quail and Crossroads. No way am I going to an over-glorified movie theatre in the suburbs when a very nice one is right in the middle of the action downtown. I'm glad this new one is IN the city. Even if its teetering on the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported. But I imagine that massive development north of it will keep it active.

But anyways. I don't go to the Warren, never have, no desire. I live on the Southside, 46th/ Walker. I'd rather go to Harkins. When I watch movies, I like to do stuff before and after, so I prefer the Bricktown area because we can do other things. Same with Quail and Crossroads. No way am I going to an over-glorified movie theatre in the suburbs when a very nice one is right in the middle of the action downtown. I'm glad this new one is IN the city. Even if its teetering on the edge.
    You don't know what you're missing. Granted I only went once and saw the film in the grand ballroom, but it was still very nice--very spacious for tall people.

I think a northside Warren would be a nice alternative to the others in the area. Quail Springs is high on prices and difficult to get into. The Harkins is nice, but is also irritating to get to. Tinseltown is good for a cheap matinee. The Warren is much more worthwhile of a $9 ticket IMO - great amenities and a lack of recent theater irritations - television ads, movie trivia, etc.

For movies of course right? Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported.
    It'll still be supported, but not by me--not that I ever supported it all that much to begin with. The only reason I ever go into QSM anyway is to see a movie at AMC, and that's an absolute pain in the ass, especially during the holidays when a lot of the good movies come out.

HAs quail springs changed that much, i use to love it compared to crossroads, I live in moore anddrive to quail havent been there in over a year and last tme i was there, there wa lot of teens, but they didt act like the ones that dirty up crossroads.. has stores closed there? the only reason i would drive up there is the Disney store and the large childrens place clothing store..

MadMonk Guest

Quail Springs is still going strong. It's just the mall atmosphere that some people don't like. I don't really mind going there every once in a while (I'm not exactly a shop-a-holic), but I can understand the frustrations of people who don't.

17. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    HAs quail springs changed that much, i use to love it compared to crossroads, I live in moore anddrive to quail havent been there in over a year and last tme i was there, there wa lot of teens, but they didt act like the ones that dirty up crossroads.. has stores closed there? the only reason i would drive up there is the Disney store and the large childrens place clothing store..
    Nothing has closed. In fact, they have the same newly remodeled stores that Penn Square recently got (Victoria's Secret, Bath & Body, Limited) and they scored an exclusive upscale store that Penn doesn't have--Forever 21.

I took the following excerpt out of an article in the JR today about a new development in Tulsa. The same developers are eyeing developments in OKC.

In Oklahoma City, Expert is preparing a possible retail/office/multifamily project for 41 acres at Rockwell and Memorial Road. The company also owns the 30,000-square-foot Rockwell Crossing strip center at 122nd and Rockwell, with three pad sites available.

19. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quail is most prone to becoming the next Crossroads. It needs to be supported.

Why do you say that?

I know that AMC has been fitted out for all digital projection so it shouldn't be to far from installation maybe before the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by animeGhost View Post
    I know that AMC has been fitted out for all digital projection so it shouldn't be to far from installation maybe before the end of the year.
    How do you know this? They were fitted out for IMAX (never happened), they were fitted out for all Dolby Digital (only installed two), etc. I worked at this theatre for many years and it is a cash cow (makes WAY more money than it takes to operate), but AMC was ALWAYS reluctant to invest money into this theatre because it is in a slow market. They will eventually convert it to all digital, but I would expect it to be one of the last theatres to be converted. They will do bigger markets first and work their way down. Since they only have two theatres in the market, Quail will be one of the last.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I took the following excerpt out of an article in the JR today about a new development in Tulsa. The same developers are eyeing developments in OKC.
    Sorry but I can't get excited about more sprawl along the Kilpatrick Tpke. I work up here now (temporarily) and can't wait to be in a different part of the city. I would be excited if this were being developed at the under-developed east end of Kilpatrick/Memorial where the future commuter rail line intersects it. Then it could be a TOD but not at Rockwell.

I'm curious why so many people want to live out west that way and not in the prettier hilly and tree-covered areas closer to I-35? Never made sense to me that the NE side of OKC was so sparesely developed while the ugly NW side was booming.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    How do you know this? They were fitted out for IMAX (never happened), they were fitted out for all Dolby Digital (only installed two), etc. I worked at this theatre for many years and it is a cash cow (makes WAY more money than it takes to operate), but AMC was ALWAYS reluctant to invest money into this theatre because it is in a slow market. They will eventually convert it to all digital, but I would expect it to be one of the last theatres to be converted. They will do bigger markets first and work their way down. Since they only have two theatres in the market, Quail will be one of the last.
    A very good friend of mine works there now... they tell me they were scheduled to install the digital projection system this summer but for whatever reason they postponed it.

24. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by OKCMallen View Post
    Why do you say that?
    Don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is...that out of Quail and Penn, Quail is more prone to go under. Not that it will though, Quail is very active and supported well and I love that mall almost as much as Penn. Just saying that if one of them were to disappear it would be Quail. Just saying...ya know?

25. Default Re: Warren Theatre coming to Memorial and Rockwell

Don't take that the wrong way. What I'm saying is...that out of Quail and Penn, Quail is more prone to go under. Not that it will though, Quail is very active and supported well and I love that mall almost as much as Penn. Just saying that if one of them were to disappear it would be Quail. Just saying...ya know?
    Based on what criteria? Or is that just a gut feeling?

Thread Information