Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moore Memories

Default Moore Memories

Okay I notice in the okc section they have a memories post and I thought that was a little fun. So what is your memories about moore, I have only been in moore since the 80s so my memories are not old one, I do remember that eastern between 4th street and 12th street at one time had 4 large grocery stores which now non of the origanl 4 are still around, Buchanans, pratts, homeland and food lion. I remember when 12th street was the place to be friday and saturday night and the place to eat was godfathers pizza. The only thing on 19th street was a some fast food, ross and a old walmart where convergy is now all on the east side of 19th.. nothing really was on the west side. Carnivals in the area where block buster is now off of 12th and eastern, carnivals close to where where burger king is off of 12th ans eastern, and carnivals in the new city shopping center (what ever happened to non holiday no reason just there carnivals in moore). Oh yes and the moore pool then afterwards hanging out at the dairy queen...

Default Re: Moore Memories

We moved here in June 68...I turned 11 that summer.
    There were no traffic lights in Moore and we lived off Shields..Every Friday and Saturday night...Bad traffic accidents at 89th and 27th...You could here the SCREECH CRASH...

The movie theater that was on Broadway had already shut down...
    The A&W Rootbeer stand sold coneys 5 for 1.00 on Tuesdays.
    There was only one Junior High and Moore High was not very old.
    We had TG&Y and Otascos in the Ciity of Moore Shopping Center..Which was alot smaller then...Humpty Dumpty Grocery Store, Safeway, Star Pharmacy...
    Sooner Shopping Center there on Broadway and 5th had a small 5 and dime and Buchanans...
    The Big W drive inn was on it's way out.
    I started 6th grade in Moore at Kelly Elementry. I think then we had Northmoore, Plaza Towers, South Gate, Central, and Fairview.
    Santa Fe was a dirt road.
    Coots Meat Market was on Shields and it was a little mom and pop grocery with a meat market.

The park on 5th and Telephone was THE PARK..Where little league was played and the big Space Ship slide...There was no swimming pool..If you wanted to swim, you went to Elm Wood on Shields, Or the YMCA on Janeway.
    And the only fast food place that I remember was the Dairy Queen and A&W...

The Car Dealership was Williams Kilpatrick on Shields and they sold Chevys...

vaguely remember the dairy queen... wasn't it on the corner of 5th & telephone? it's sort of an office park now, right?

i remember the big rocket with the slide on it... i'd always ask to go there.

chuck e. cheese was on the far south end of the moore shopping center... way better than the showbiz on 240 & walker in my expert kid opinion of the day.

bobo's was where i first had chinese food. i think that location has been maria's for a number of years now.

-M

I knew it, I am not crazy, I was really young when i saw the chuck-e-cheese in the new chity shopping center I think it might have been where family dollar is or somewhere close to that.. My firends in highschool was telling me there was never a place like that there..ha now i know im not crazy. Does anybody remember a taco tico in moore, I want to say off broadway around 12th street.. Also the old mazzios I loved the old mazzios why did they ruin it..

you're not crazy! i think chuck e. cheese was where ace hardware or the western clothing store are currently located. both of those are immediately south of the family dollar.

taco tico was at 12th & broadway... across the street and a little north from mazzio's. the building is still there and is currently dale's bbq.

anybody correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure that mazzio's location is old enough to have once carried the ken's pizza monicker.

immediately to the southwest of the old taco tico sits a chinese food buffet... that's where harry bears used to be located back in the day.

-M

So Moore was a dump even way back in the 60's?

So sweetnsourpoke where are u from?

Oh and the Chinese buffet formerly known as Harry Bears...was a Sambos back in the 70s

And actually Sweet n Sour Pork...When we moved to Moore, the school system here was one of the best in the state...And although we were just a small town growing...and I mean growing..as the billboard along the highway said...Moore Fastest growing City in the USA...
    I believe it was a nice place to grow up...We were never afraid to leave our doors unlocked...
    So I guess a "dump" if you want to call it that...I think it had a little trouble taking off, but think we are pretty fine right now...

I like living in moore, thats why my wife and I bought a house in moore to raise our kids..

Quote Originally Posted by cindyl57
    oh and the chinese buffet formerly known as harry bears...was a sambos back in the 70s
    i thought it might've been something before harry bears but i didn't know that was a sambo's! no way that chain could exist today with that name.

-M

We moved to Moore in 1971 when I was 12 years old. My first job was at that A&W on 12th St when I was 14. Got paid $1 per hour, cash.

Yes, Mazzio's was Ken's Pizza originally. Also, where Arby's now sits on 12th and Janeway, was a Jack-In-The-Box.

There also was a movie theater on the back side of the City Center. My first real date involved seeing the movie Jeremiah Johnson in that theater and then having my step-dad pick us up and take us to the Pizza Hut that used to be on 12th St.

Also, in that shopping center on 12th St that was across from the old A&W, the one that burned down a few years ago and now houses Allechante (sp?), there used to be a foosball place where I spent hours and hours hanging out. They also had free concerts by local bands on a flat bed truck in the parking lot on a fairly regular basis. I also spent a lot of my teen time at a little foosball place that used to be on Main and Broadway along with Plaza Cue when was just outside of Plaza Towers on 4th St.

We used to live in the addition (Bonnie Brae?) that is between 4th and 19th off of Telephone Road. We spent a lot of time as kids in the "jungle" that was torn down to make room for the Warren Theater, et al. I remember how exciting it was when they built the original WalMart and that was followed by a Sam's and a shopping mall. It amazes me to see now how much has changed in that part of town.

don't remember the foosball joint... maybe a name would ring a bell.

however, in the exact spot where allechante now sits was a local pizza shop. i can't seem to remember the name... i think it was papa ____'s or something like that.

across 12th and a bit west from there was mr. gaddy's (sp?) pizza.

-M

...nevermind. it was papa john's. no relation to the chain out of louisville.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    So sweetnsourpoke where are u from?

Moore. Yeah!

For the Moore historians.....

When exactly did Moore become a police state?

I live on the OKC side of the border west of Santa Fe and often cross over Santa Fe to visit friends just north of 12th Street.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but there is CONSTANTLY a patrol car along Santa Fe just north of Santa Fe. I've been pulled over three times this year but never given a ticket. Once for turning into the opposite lane from a left hand turn. Huh?

It's like crossing the damned DMZ to visit friends in Moore.

What's the deal?

moore police have been strict for as long as i've known. moore is just one of those places where i will not speed. i'd be willing to bet that up until recent years, one of the city's primary sources of income was traffic tickets... hence the motivation to pull people over for anything and everything.

-M

across 12th and a bit west from there was mr. gaddy's (sp?) pizza.
    I think you might mean God Fathers Pizza.

I cannot remember right now the Foosball place, but I will ask..I know my brother spent tons of time there.

To be honest, Moore is one of those cities where being caucasian really pays off.

When you're pulled over three times - once without proof of insurance - and released with a verbal warning each time......it shows the ol buddy system is alive and well.

Doubtful a Mexican or an African-American would get away with that.

19. Default Re: Moore Memories

Godfather's was in the shopping center directly across the street from the old Papa John's. It's now a Mexican food place.

Mr Gatti's was a standalone building a little further west, which is now Golden Palace (or something like that).

right... it's spelled, "gatti's"... thanks! i'd never recomend the chinese food restaurant that now occupies that space... i ate there once and was horribly sick.

the former godfather's is now a los vaqueros.

-M

Im mexican and have gotten away with it, so I have seen caucasions who looks like slums, and who are just plain stupid get tickes left and right.. so yeah what ever nationality you are black red white brown, I dont think it matters, as if you are rich or poor. I have black friends and white friends in moore, and I guess my friends and I have just been lucky these past 2 decades because we havent been treated any different when it comes to police or really anything, its really all just depends on who you are and your actions.. but hey i live in the suburb bubble all my life not the west side of santa fe in the city like you sweetnsourpoke

"but hey i live in the suburb bubble all my life not the west side of santa fe in the city like you sweetnsourpoke"

Actually, I think we all live in a suburb bubble. I don't think there's much difference between either side of Santa Fe. LOL!

I'm just going by what my (minority) friends were saying. They doubt they'd get away with a warning if they left their insurance verification at home.

well from a minority, 20 years froim now, soon to be the majority, i got away with no drivers licence, but hey i talked up the officer, I was attending hilsdale free will baptist college at the time and the officer use to go there, so it gave us something in common, and us hilsdale alumni take care of each other. Well any poop me and my minority and majority and mixed with minority and majority and vica versa dont have problems and see things like that or at least try not to, people who talks about oh poor me its because of race is usually the ones that keep racism going, but oh well all to there own.. p.s keyboard really stucks and the o's and t's sometime stick so not stupid just my keyboard is...

I moved from Little Axe to across the street from Highland East in 1988. Went to Moore HS for junior year and moved during the summer near 104th and Western and went to Westmoore my senior year.
    I remember there was a pool hall/arcade on the frontage road between 27th and 89th. Spent a lot of quarters playing games there and took a few dates there. It became a statue place later and is now an RV place. I'm sure back in the day it was probably seedy as hell, but I had a blast there.

I remember 19th street flooding under the train tracks every time it rained a couple inches.

There was a big old white house on the hill right next to the train tracks. Always looked kinda spooky.

I was a photographer for the Moore HS paper and took some photos of the history teacher who would dress up in period clothing to teach. He was Teacher of the Year and time magazine asked the school for his picture and they used the picture I had taken.

I remember eating lunch at Kit's Chinese every day back when it was still fairly new. Made for a good school lunch and good times with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by mrz
    i remember there was a pool hall/arcade on the frontage road between 27th and 89th.
    wasn't that called starbuck's... or something like that?

-M

Thread Information