Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moore Memories

Default Re: Moore Memories

yes starbucks i beleive, and kits is still thre, I had lunch there last week....

Quote Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
    I was a photographer for the Moore HS paper and took some photos of the history teacher who would dress up in period clothing to teach. He was Teacher of the Year and time magazine asked the school for his picture and they used the picture I had taken.
    I remember this guy clearly. Big glasses and mustache.

Civil War reenactors have always scared the hell out of me.

Wow , alot of memories. My parents bought a house in Moore in 71. I remember Moore having so much open space. Its good that its growing but its getting difficult to navigate.

Otasco, Safeway, Humpty Dumpty's , I remember going to Godfathers Pizza on 12th and my Mom putting REO Speedwagon on the jukebox.

Anyone remember the old MR. Burger back in the day?

That teacher that dressed up in period clothes was Mike Adkins. Mike now works for the state historical society by the capital. He has been fighting cancer for almost a year and a half. Anyone that had Mike, please give him a call or go by and see him. Mike and I have been best friends and taught together for 31 years, all in the Moore school district. He is trying to live life to the fullest each day, but it has been a big struggle for him. He would like to hear from as many people as possible.

yes I do remember mr. burger, I like the fries for some reason..

6. Default Re: Moore Memories

Ate at a Mr. Burger in Guymon recently......Ah the memories.

7. Default Re: Moore Memories

I moved from Little Axe to across the street from Highland East in 1988. Went to Moore HS for junior year and moved during the summer near 104th and Western and went to Westmoore my senior year.
    I remember there was a pool hall/arcade on the frontage road between 27th and 89th. Spent a lot of quarters playing games there and took a few dates there. It became a statue place later and is now an RV place. I'm sure back in the day it was probably seedy as hell, but I had a blast there.

I remember 19th street flooding under the train tracks every time it rained a couple inches.

There was a big old white house on the hill right next to the train tracks. Always looked kinda spooky.

I was a photographer for the Moore HS paper and took some photos of the history teacher who would dress up in period clothing to teach. He was Teacher of the Year and time magazine asked the school for his picture and they used the picture I had taken.

I remember eating lunch at Kit's Chinese every day back when it was still fairly new. Made for a good school lunch and good times with friends.
    That big white house also had an empty swimming pool behind it...And we'd go ride in it after getting kicked out of Factory Outlet Mall for riding our bikes in there

And I had a LOT of pictures in Central Mid High's as well as MHS's yearbooks.

FACTORY OUTLET MALL? Was that by sams? Ididn't kow that was a outlet mall. I remember one year it was a flea market then rented out for a haunted house, which was a really good one.. then a college and bingo hall. Is this the once factory outlet mall?

that's the one... originally it was called 'outlet mall of america' or something like that.

-M

10. Default Re: Moore Memories

I think it was Factory Outlet, then Outlet Mall of America...I think it was a truck driving school at some point too.

Didn't the "mall" close about the time Sams was built?

Ooooooo....Big Ed's had a place over there for a while too.

nom nom nom

could be... that mall died such a slow death, i'm not sure exactly when it closed.

i don't remember that particular big ed's... we usually ate at the one on 89th & western. totally miss that place.

-M

12. Default Re: Moore Memories

The Big Ed's was on the far west end of the strip mall in front of Ross...Close to the highway, just south of Hardees/Carl's Jr. It became a BBQ joint after it was a Big Ed's, if memory serves.

Anybody else remember gridlock on 12th street Fri/Sat nights? It would take us two hours to drive from Eastern to Santa Fe and back on some nights.

HA HA THE STRIP. my older sister (Ann Alarcon Moore high class of 92 anyone know her?) use to cruise that stripp every weekend, she took me a couple times, bumper to bumper it took about a hour to make it from eastern to santa fe some nights. The hangout was the car wash area near the old taco bell and the maibu shopping center is where a lot of fight broke out.

14. Default Re: Moore Memories

I graduated in '90...So I was WAY too cool to have known your sister

I graduated Westmoore class of '89. Went cruising 12th a few times with friends, but it never seemed THAT fun to me. I was too busy being a computer nerd lol

16. Default Re: Moore Memories

I graduated Westmoore class of '89. Went cruising 12th a few times with friends, but it never seemed THAT fun to me. I was too busy being a computer nerd lol
    Had me a TI-99 4/A sitting at home waiting for me when the girls didn't want to play

Talking about School Teachers...One of my favorite teachers was Mrs. Soriano(sp?)
    When we were in High School, our english classes were divided up into quarters..and each year you got to choose some different Themed classes..
    She taught Shakespearan Tragedys, and I absolutely loved her class...She was awsome...Also, I loved Mythology too....I always thought our American History Classes were a joke...Well..Seems the High School coaches taught them, in one huge room and we watched alot of War Movies...

Quote Originally Posted by cindyl57 View Post
    I cannot remember right now the Foosball place, but I will ask..I know my brother spent tons of time there.
    The foosball place was first a pool hall in the Malibu shoping center. I remember when they introduced the first pong game in town. It was amazing at the time and people would line up to play it. They later brought in foosball. Later on the people who owned the Pappa John's put in a place on the corner of 12th and Santa Fe called Pappa Foos. When it first opened up it was so crowded you could barely get in the door.

19. Default Re: Moore Memories

Starbucks.

Fond Moore Memories: Class of 88.

Pronks and Pranks shop in City of Moore shopping center
    BoBo's Chinese Rest, worked there 2.80/hr
    Movies in Moore - midnight movie Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Jammers game room off Shields and I-35 area
    Starbucks game room, more seedy but I liked it
    Moore Swimmng pool
    Rocket with slide at the park with softball fields
    Moore Skating rink on Telephone road
    Papas Pizza on 12th street
    Hangin out at 12th street park on weekends
    Oriental Health Spa (always curious about this place) on 12th st and Broadway
    Duffs Buffet ( They had a spinning buffet, pretty cool)
    Building of the Moore Community Center.

I graduated from MHS in '88 too (huge graduating class). I wasted so much time and gas on 12th Street. My good friend had an IROC and we'd take off the T-tops and go hang at the park, check out Starbucks and Jammers, and eat at Del Rancho. In the summer, we'd go to the pool and bake in the sun (before I realized that was not wise).

We need to come up with Moore Memories as the Southside Okc has lots and lots...

I know we talked about the Shopping center and TG&Y...remember when it was only the one building and TGY was small...At Christmas, The parking lot all lit up and rides with Santa in his sliegh...

And remember when the Highschool had a smoking area...I didn't smoke, but had friends that did...I'd freeze my butt off so that I could stand out there and look cool...finally I gave it up for the library...

At the central junior high..only one then, they had a tree that set out by the street on the other side of the drive...It was called the "smoking tree"...
    I never went out there...you know that was where all the thugs went..lol...

The little pool hall on 12th street was call "Foos and Cues" remember going in there a few times. Also remember the Big Eds next to the theater on the back side of the city of Moore shopping center. Anyone remember the water park that they started building at 19th and I-35 that supposedly was bought out by White Water before they could even really get started.

24. Default Re: Moore Memories

Quote Originally Posted by fireant View Post
    Anyone remember the water park that they started building at 19th and I-35 that supposedly was bought out by White Water before they could even really get started.
    Little River Landing was the name of it. They got as far as a parking lot and a couple of outbuildings before they went bankrupt.

As someone stated earlier Chunk E Cheese owned Showbiz. They had the room that had animatron dogs called "The Beagles" and they had a Indiana Jones style swing where you could swing across a padded pit. (There is NO way that would happen these days)

Wasn't there a movie theatre in that strip mall as well?

Thread Information