Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

1. Default Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

What is the most needed restaurant concept in OKC? What is the place that you wish we had but we don't have?

I figure this thread could be a good storehouse of ideas for restauranteurs. I am not one but surely there are some out there who are looking to fill our city's culinary voids.

Default Re: Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

I would say a good source for quality wine and good cheeses.

A good Jewish delicatessen.

Sports bar.

You should move to Norman, land of the sports bar. I kid you not.

I would like a restaurant with a uniquely urban appearance, an eclectic menu and a great central location. Two of the more interesting places I've eaten recently in Atlanta characterize that description: Float Away Cafe and Two Urban Lick. They're both located in old warehouses, but offer interesting and unique dining experiences.

Maybe a gastro pub (whatever that is). I would like to see Yia Yia's open here, too. We need a greater variety of restaurants. Even Tulsa has more options.

I agree with Betts. We were recently in Kansas City, and I was amazed by the number of mid- to high-end locally-owned establishments, many with an "urban" twist.

We ate at BlueBird, housed in an old 3-story house about two blocks from the new Performing Arts Center site near KC's CBD. It offered modern yet casual fare featuring locally-grown organic produce and meats. Each Thursday they had a "farmer's tasting" event, where you could sign up for a fixed price and enjoy a complete meal based on what the chef was working on for the weekend.

While they had their menu "standards," their specials changed weekly based upon what was locally available from the growers and farmers they worked with to supply the bulk of their food.

In fact, several restaurants we researched offered "prix fixe" menus and chef's tastings events.

In the case of BlueBird, our meal came to just over $100, including salads, entrees, a shared dessert and a bottle of wine - before tip. It was our anniversary so we splurged a bit.

I think like with many other things in OKC, we find it hard to step away from what is tried and true. We have fabulous steaks here, but do we really need another steak place? We have fabulous Mexican and Tex-Mex, but do we really need another one of those? Of course, I'm not a restauranteur (just an expert eater!) , so don't know exactly what it takes to put a new concept together. I also know that in the past some of those concepts failed miserably (I'm still mourning the disappearance of Cafe del Sol).

I like the idea of a Deep Fork, Metro or similar concept, but with an urban kick - and it would be really cool if it were somehow connected to a local food coop, or one of our farmer's markets, where the chefs could really play with what is local and seasonal. A nice location along Broadway a la Red Prime would be really cool.

I'd also like to see a REAL Italian deli, if at all possible, with a variety of cheeses and salamis and other specialty products. Falcone's doesn't even come close to what I am talking about.

I don't know if there is a "most needed" as much as there is desires for certain restaurants our market is lacking. Here are a few ideas:

1.) Lots more of local food movement restaurants (using only local ingredients and changing menu depending on season). Oklahoma is way behind the times with this movement.
    2.) A Brasilian Churriscaria (Cafe Do Brasil was in bad location and poorly advertised). I think another one could do well if located properly, planned better and advertised better.
    3.) Moto restaurant in Chicago is on the leading edge of edgy restaurant concepts with their edible menu's, liquid nitrogen frozen desserts that look like main courses, custom dinners and more. m o t o | c u i s i n e : 2007
    4.) Upscale Cupcake restaurant. See Sprinkles or Kara's
    5.) Waterside restaurant on the Oklahoma River
    6.) True tapas only bars
    7.) Upscale celebrity chef restaurant, Emeril's, Wolfgang Pucks, etc.
    8.) Many more full time food vendor carts in downtown
    9.) Cuban restaurant

Move Cuban restaurant up the list. This has to be the largest city in the US with no cuban food.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    2.) A Brasilian Churriscaria (Cafe Do Brasil was in bad location and poorly advertised). I think another one could do well if located properly, planned better and advertised better.
    You mean Gaucho's Grill.

I think we need a chain effort for our churrascaria, such as Texas de Brazil or Fogo de Chao.

Quote Originally Posted by metro
    4.) Upscale Cupcake restaurant. See Sprinkles or Kara's
    I think there are legs to the Sprinkles rumor regarding the 'new' Nichols Hills Plaza.

Quote Originally Posted by FritterGirl View Post
    I agree with Betts. We were recently in Kansas City, and I was amazed by the number of mid- to high-end locally-owned establishments, many with an "urban" twist.
    I agree FritterGirl. KC is loaded with some really "urban" restaurants. I love Kansas City.

John, thanks for correcting me. Brain freeze, yes I meant Gaucho's Grill. Unfortunately, I agree it's going to take a larger chain for that concept to take off unless a local has the money to properly put into it.

Yes, I know their are fairly solid legs under the "Sprinkles" rumor for Nichols Hills Plaza. We're at least 2 years out on that, if not more. I'm not counting on having that concept for at least a few years if that's all we're putting our hopes on. I'd like to see that concept come to OKC well before then.

lpecan, my list wasn't in order of neccessity as stated in my original post. I stated not necessarily needed as much as our market is lacking these sorts of concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    I would like a restaurant with a uniquely urban appearance, an eclectic menu and a great central location. Two of the more interesting places I've eaten recently in Atlanta characterize that description: Float Away Cafe and Two Urban Lick. They're both located in old warehouses, but offer interesting and unique dining experiences.
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "uniquely urban", but I will assume it means a renovated older building that has original, upscale food.

I agree that more local "urban" restaurants would be great, but are you supporting the ones that we already have like:

Rococo
    Cafe Nova
    Red Prime
    Trattoria Il Centro
    Cheevers
    Iron Starr
    Park Ave Grill
    Soleil
    Paseo Grill
    Galileo
    Prohibition Room

I vote Tapas!

I wish we had Tony's Italian Specialties back (as it was under its original ownership). I'd never eat anywhere else.

We are in dire need of:
    1 Sports Bar
    2 Tapas Bar
    3 A new and better urban breakfast joint

I'd like to see more local "fast-food"... not necessarily unhealthy food, but more local drive-thrus would be nice when in a hurry.

We also need more seafood restaurants and 24-hour choices.

Shabu-shabu would be nice too.

I am really surprised by the need for another sports bar. I haven't been out in a while, but the last time I did some serious bar-hopping it seemed like every third bar was a sports bar here.

20. Default Re: Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

A restaurant with a treadmill and a scale with limited front door parking ... jk..

I'd like to see a TOGO's - my favorite Deli sandwiches ever .. Hot Pastrami or Hot Roast Beef... yeah.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

I would love to see a Fat Sandwich Company open in Bricktown so I wouldnt have to drive to Norman all the time

22. Default Re: Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by BFizzy View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "uniquely urban", but I will assume it means a renovated older building that has original, upscale food.

I agree that more local "urban" restaurants would be great, but are you supporting the ones that we already have like:

Rococo
    Cafe Nova
    Red Prime
    Trattoria Il Centro
    Cheevers
    Iron Starr
    Park Ave Grill
    Soleil
    Paseo Grill
    Galileo
    Prohibition Room
    great list!

If you haven't visited all of them, you should.

Agree with kane...Jewish Deli.
    Kreplach soup yumm.

24. Default Re: Most needed restaurant concept in OKC?

Truthfully, I'd like to see more delis in general.

Also some real coney places would be nice.

I just moved back from Dallas and I ate at Taco Diner/Mi Cocina a few times a month and truly miss it! OKC needs to tap in to that idea and it would do fantastic.. brisket tacos are by far my fav!

Also, we could use a "CRU" which is known for their cheese flights (as was earlier mentioned in this post). They only serve wine, beer, iced tea, and water...

Thread Information