Widgets Magazine
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 111213141516

Thread: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Default Re: Bars/restaurants that are sorely missed

Old northwest side boy here, missing Larry's Steakhouse (and the platewarmers), Nicolosi's, and Sparky's drive in S of 23rd and Meridian. Some of those southside places ring a bell, but they were clear across town!

Sean Cummings Irish Pub and Der Dutchman.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Sean Cummings Irish Pub and Der Dutchman.
    RM,
    That was the original name, then it became Zuider Zee. I wasn't aware that it was owned/started by Mr. Adair of cafeteria fame.
    C. T.

Oklahoma City restaurant chain have improved after a name change.
    Jerry Adair, owner of Adair's Inc., changed both his Der Dutchman specialty seafood restaurants to "Zuider Zee" in early January.

The name was changed "to create interest in the market," Adair said. "Zuider Zee is a good, catchy name that has good public approval."

Zuider Zee was the name of Adair's popular franchise at 3509 NW 58th St. from 1967 to 1970. Adair discontinued the franchise in 1970 and changed the name to Der Dutchman.

The place below the Hi Lo Club that Vern Echols owned was The Patio, a great place anytime.

HangryHippo Guest

Has anyone said Allen's? j/k I'm just craving a patty melt today and they made the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by SamW View Post
    The place below the Hi Lo Club that Vern Echols owned was The Patio, a great place anytime.
    Loved the patio.. most sundays my group of hungover friends took the big round table in the back. he would normally save it for us at about 11. such a great place!

Quote Originally Posted by SamW View Post
    SamW,
    My favorite item at The Patio was the Schnitzel. A burger patty topped with chili, cheese, chopped onions and a fried egg, with French fries and baked beans on the side. And all of the long time employees. Remember the sign stating how long each employee had worked there?
    C. T.

First, forgive me for being late on the scene, but you guys have have posted so many amazing memories, I just had to join in. The property I believe that was the Will Rogers center had so many venues located in it that it was hard to keep track back then. "Fritzi's" I believe was one such establishment along with other interesting named businesses. One such place was a briefly-lived beer bar called Jaggzz owned by a guy who also owned "Up the Alley" on Campus Corner. I mention it only because of the music acts that David Box was booking at those and others like Kelley's and G.O.T. U2, Huey Lewis and the News, Joe Ely, Stray Cats, the Talking Heads, Iggy Pop, Dead Kennedy's, Joe King Carrasco, Max and the Makeups, among other. It 's just kind of wild thinking back to the choices that you had. Also thanks to the folks for reminding me why it was an exciting day when dad would take me and my brother to John A Browns in Capitol Hill or downtown to T.G & Y. In the middle of the tall buildings or a new Shepard Mall. Thanks guys for stirring up those great memories from 1965 and on.

The last post here was 06-04-2016? How sad!

Thread Information