Widgets Magazine

Thread: Carpool Exchange

1. Default Carpool Exchange

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to post carpool needs - ie routes, schedules, meeting places, parking (or places to leave cars while you commute) etc etc.

If I had to commute, I'd be all over this and organize a carpool but I work out of home for the most part.

Post your car pool needs here but don't disclose any personal info. You can PM members if you feel that it might work for you.

Here is a sample:

Route:

Need a carpool from West Edmond (Western and 164th) to OG & E Corporate office ( 321 N. Harvey Ave).

Work Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00pm

Commute Schedule: Pick up approx 7:20 am (?)

Suggested Meeting Place: Walmart Parking Lot or (?)

Alternate Weeks: Yes

Vehicle Capacity: 8

Smoking: No

( This is just something I made up - hopefully, some people will take the initiative and save some money/time and frustration)

Other ideas:

iCarpool - Carpool Made Easy

Carpool Etiquette

Cost sharing $$$

Decide how you will split the costs before you start carpooling. The big one is usually fuel, which you can decide based on the mileage of the vehicle and actual trip distance shared. Toll-way costs are also good to split. If you do not drive at all, consider maintenance, parking costs and increase in insurance premium that the driver may have to bear as well. Licensing and depreciation are other costs usually not significant enough – but get these clarified before you start carpooling.

Example: AAA average cost per mile in 2006 was $0.44 USD. For a two person carpool for 10 miles one way, using the AAA average the amount the driver incurs for the trip is $4.44. Splitting this equally between the driver and rider, it means the rider should pay $2.22 to the driver.

Rules of the game

Decide on some basic rules. Smoking, eating, loud music, radio station, talking in the car – all these are details, which, if sorted out well beforehand make your carpooling enjoyable. The iCarpool engine allows you to filter on these criteria, but also displays best route match without filtering criteria to enable you to choose between a closer route match v/s a closer preference match.

Waiting time

This is the big one. Decide on a waiting time and how many calls you are going to make. 5 minutes and 2 calls are usually a good starting point. Share your cell phone numbers since weather conditions, traffic conditions, car troubles are all factors which could affect driving times.

Backup strategy

Have a backup plan in case the driver falls sick, goes on vacation or the car breaks down. We recommend having atleast two drivers in your carpool. Public transportation can also make a good backup plan.

More etiquette

Simple strategy like big and tall in the front can make the ride convenient for all. If you are driving, tidy up your car. Don’t pick up errands on your way without consulting others - it is usually best to carpool straight to and from the destination.

Insurance

Drivers, consider increasing the appropriate coverage like liability and underinsured motorist. Please verify with your insurance company about any other considerations for your carpool.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Carpool Exchange

3. Default Re: Carpool Exchange

Note to self, don't sign up with oneforone. lol

4. Default Re: Carpool Exchange

jburnsosu

Re: Fuel Costs?

I am looking for someone to carpool with. I drive from Ada to OKC(Airport area) for work (M-F)

If you know anyone who is interested in sharing a ride, please e-mail me.

I drive 59A west to I-35 (Wayne/Payne) then north from there so it would also be good to share a ride from the Purcell area.

Thread Information