Widgets Magazine

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Hey, What Happened?

1. Atlantic Mills was located on 29th & May where Grider's is now, Spartan's store
    was across from the Fair Ground...They merged spartan/Atlantic.
    2. Boy Scout Jamboree was held at the old Stockyards Coliseum along with the
    boy/Cub Scout Circus.
    3. Boxing championships were held in the Big Building in the Public Market.
    4. First McDonald's in OKC was on twenty-ninth on the south side east of the
    Economy Square shopping center.
    5. Besides Shepard Mall, there was a inside mall in Capitol Hill...On the south side of
    25th street next to the Knob Hill Theater. To you kids, that movie theater is now
    home of the Oklahoma Opry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....
    You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same Game:....boy, you are old:..........Your team also Broke Jerry Pitts leg....another hero bit the dust.

By the way, I guess Grant painted the Spartan before you guys painted the cannon?.....My wife graduated from Grant in '66 and the people she knew from S.E. always bragged about painting Grant's cannon before anyone else......

Have fun on your trip:................see ya next time:...........................

Thread Information