Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 138 FirstFirst 1234567891055105 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

SORRY:....WAL-MART DID NOT BEAT T.G.& Y. .... in sam's book he even admits following some of the tg&y ways.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    Hey, do you remember Sussy's? In capitol hill, they made the Rowdy Kids go in the back to eat the $2.00 Combination Pizzas. Now, there was a Pizza...Ned's had nothing on Sussy's
    I talked to Jake Samara about 10 years ago. He was the owner of Sussy's. He told me that Jack came to the Tempo Club, one Jake's many, and started moving the tables around. He wanted a job. Jake asked if he had any restaurant experience and Jack said he worked in a deli in New Orleans. Jake hired him. The name 'Sussys' was chosen because it would cover the name 'Tempo'. It was on NE 23rd just east of Lincoln. The rest is hysteria.

Jake wrote me a check and it said "Kings Club", which was the Sussy's on NE 36th and Lincoln.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cindyl57 View Post
    I also worked my first job at Don's Drive Inn on 59th and Agnew....And I can remember the Donut shop on Penn or Western...
    Would the donut shop be the Donut Hole on Penn just south of 59th? That was really good. We used to throw papers and eat at 'Denny's Donuts' just east of Miller/Ross on SW 59th. I think an optidoolilist, md eye doc wanabe, has the building, now.

Do you remember an English teacher, at Grant, named Chase. He may have retired before you attended.

Prunepicker Guest

Did the Rainbow's assemble at the Myrtle Lodge on 44th & Western? I was a DeMolay in the 60's.

Mr. Chase was a tough teacher but, more of the kids liked him. I think he has passed away. Rainbow's was at the Myrtle Lodge on 44th..It has since moved to 89th st. East of Santa Fe. I used to like to go to those dances that always had. You must be long in the tooth if you were there in the 60's. Where did you go to school and when did you graduate?

Did you sunbath on the roof of the changing rooms on on the grass?
    Yep!!!! I don't remember the trampolines...My best friend was Worthy Advisor when we were Juniors or Seniors...That was the only time I was in Rainbow...
    My Sister inlaw was in Rainbows here in Moore..She is about 7 years younger than me....

The Rainbows did meet at Myrtle Lodge I think...Hey I am old now you know...LOL
    But I went to school in Moore, so I don't know the teachers at Grant, and I am not good with Names either...so I don't remember hardly anyone....
    Now I get alot of people say they remember me, And that is weird, cause I tried to not be noticed as much as possible...Shy and Shyer...

My first boyfriend was bussed from SE to Douglas...His name..Virgil....hmmmm

Oh and before cars and highschool...we hung out alot at the skating rink on western....

Prunepicker Guest

Mr. Chase was a tough teacher but, more of the kids liked him. I think he has passed away. Rainbow's was at the Myrtle Lodge on 44th..It has since moved to 89th st. East of Santa Fe. I used to like to go to those dances that always had. You must be long in the tooth if you were there in the 60's. Where did you go to school and when did you graduate?
    Chase: extricate the quadrapod from the vehicle...

I went to Grant in '69.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Chase: extricate the quadrapod from the vehicle...

I went to Grant in '69.
    HEY: where did you go?...1969???Hershell Burns graduated with you. He has undoubtedly to nicest Chevelle in the Country.

I was managing the T.G.& Y. store on 59th and Penn the night you graduated.

let's begin a scavenger hunt and see how far we can go back in Southside History...Challenge is to all...see ya next time

Hey:....come on and join in...your dad knows as much about the southside as anyone...Ask him if he remembers Mr. Bucks"... Levine's (capitol Hill) or, who was cutie?...see ya next time

Hey:....come on and join in...your dad knows as much about the southside as anyone...Ask him if he remembers Mr. Bucks"... Levine's (capitol Hill) or, who was cutie?...see ya next time
    BACK TO THE FUTURE
    Does anyone remember these?
    1. Honest John's Grocery
    2. Rotary Park Swimming Pool
    3. BS&B Steel and Fabricating.
    4. Ray Tener's original shop was where?
    5. Ben Franklin in Packing Town next to the Pharmacy (still there).
    6. How much was a Hamburger Steak at Glenn's
    7. Where was Nocolosis Restaurant.
    8. The A&W Drive-In between May and Independence off of 17th st. across from Rockwall school
    9. Airline Drive Inn $2.00 car on Sunday Night.
    10. Did you EVER? go to the Theater called The Rodeo?
    11. How about the Criterion downtown....Or even better play pool upstairs west of the Criterion. An actual hangout for Minnesota Fats.
    12. Do you remember the most notorious event in '65 to happen in OKC???A gang Rape at the Split-T.
    13. The roads were mud between 44th and 51 and Drexel and Independence until 1955. My parents had to pay $ 50.00 for the concrete put in front of our house on sw 47th.
    14. Bob Pooles Grocery Store on 44th and S. May?
    15. How about Keirns drive through Dairy Barn?
    16. in 1959 there was a car load of kids running up and down south (supposedly from Capitol Hill) Penn and they were shooting out store windows. A lucky shot got the hands off of the clock in front of the Texaco station that used to be on the S.E. corner of 44th and Penn. The guys thought they were so cool for doing that shot they told the police how good shot they were the rest is history.

Come on now Southsiders....Let's make a game of this:...See ya next time

Prunepicker Guest

HEY: where did you go?...1969???Hershell Burns graduated with you. He has undoubtedly to nicest Chevelle in the Country.

let's begin a scavenger hunt and see how far we can go back in Southside History...Challenge is to all...see ya next time
    I ended up going to a private school and graduated in '71. Please don't ask where.

The name Hershell Burns is familiar but I can't place him. Most of my friends were seniors in '69. Mike Murphy, Duck McDonald, Delmer Pound, Norma Bateman...

How about the tornado of '60? It went down SW 63rd and started tearing up houses on Villa and Hillcrest drive. It lifted our roof and put it back down and made the loudest sound I've ever heard. We were all in the bathroom shaking in terror. Channel 4 (?) made it a special for a couple of years.

Prunepicker Guest

BACK TO THE FUTURE
    Does anyone remember these?

2. Rotary Park Swimming Pool

7. Where was Nocolosis Restaurant.

9. Airline Drive Inn $2.00 car on Sunday Night.

11. How about the Criterion downtown....Or even better play pool upstairs west of the Criterion. An actual hangout for Minnesota Fats.
    4 out of 16. That's batting .250 :-)

Especially the Criterion. When the "Green Berets" with John Wayne was shown there they had some Army guys repelling off of the parking garage that was across the street. Way cool.

The Airline was a mess. Does anybody remember which of the speakers worked? I saw "Night of the Living Dead" there.

Nicolosi's was on N.W. 10th near Ann Arbor. I think their original home, just south of 10th on Ann Arbor, is still owned by the family. Wasn't one of them a veterinarian?

I remember the swimming pool but not the location. Was it on the southside?

We used to cruise the northside but start out on the southside. Quick's and Hollies were our fave's. We'd order beer and when the carhop came out they'd just turn around. It worked once or twice.

About the Alamo motel. Wasn't that the Alamo Courts on Grand Blvd and S. Robinson?

Does anybody remember when Grand Avenue was changed to Sheridan? Sheridan is an official southside street.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    4 out of 16. That's batting .250 :-)

Especially the Criterion. When the "Green Berets" with John Wayne was shown there they had some Army guys repelling off of the parking garage that was across the street. Way cool.

The Airline was a mess. Does anybody remember which of the speakers worked? I saw "Night of the Living Dead" there.

Nicolosi's was on N.W. 10th near Ann Arbor. I think their original home, just south of 10th on Ann Arbor, is still owned by the family. Wasn't one of them a veterinarian?

I remember the swimming pool but not the location. Was it on the southside?

We used to cruise the northside but start out on the southside. Quick's and Hollies were our fave's. We'd order beer and when the carhop came out they'd just turn around. It worked once or twice.

About the Alamo motel. Wasn't that the Alamo Courts on Grand Blvd and S. Robinson?

Does anybody remember when Grand Avenue was changed to Sheridan? Sheridan is an official southside street.

1. Don Todd passed away in April of last year....Miss him a lot
    2. When YOU were maybe a year old, the Airline and Chieftain movies were GREAT.
    3. There is a set of Motel Courts on Grand Blvd. and Robinson but, there was a
    Motel located on the N.W. Corner of 44th and Robinson.
    4. Do your remember Shipman's Restaurant on the Southside?
    5. A guy that went to S.E. still has Mr. Hollies last ElDorado Cadillac
    6. Yes, it was (and still is ) that property that juts out on 51st st.
    7. Rotary Park is STILL located on or about S.W. 10th or 12th east of Pennsylvania. The pool is no longer there but, the park is.
    8. In the early 60's we were playing "Snooker" next to the Criterion upstairs and Minnesota Fats was there playing. At the time, it was NO Big Deal.
    9. You aren't old enough to remember wearing Wedges are you?
    10. If you played gigs with Don Todd then maybe you remember Al Good? Let's check and see if you can tell me the name of his band???? Did you know that they played the fairground for all of the rodeos plus the NFR for ever?
    11. Try Mustard on your Fries next time......

SEE YA NEXT TIME

A long time ago there was a place over in that area called Gill's Donuts. I know Gill passed away several years ago. Is the donut shop still there?

There was a big donut shop on May and 44th st. Used to sell donuts door to door. The largest one I can remember was Hardigres who eventually ended up a donut factory on Main and Western. They would hired kids to sell donuts and you got so much per dozen. We got to eat all we wanted before we went out to sell. Got to the point I didn't want to see another donut. There is still a shop on south Penn about 55th st.............

1960 Tornado, Coolidge Elementary got their south side windows blown out and they couldn't have their Spring 6th grade dance.

Our house had to have the roof replaced and the house got repainted like everyone else's house. In those days, there was not a seal tab shingle. I was in the eight grade and made a deal to "Tar" down the shingles for $5.00 a house and I hired the kids on the block and paid them $2.00 per house. Made pretty good money for a 13 yr. old kid in 1960.

Prunepicker Guest

1. Don Todd passed away in April of last year....Miss him a lot
    3. There is a set of Motel Courts on Grand Blvd. and Robinson but, there was a
    Motel located on the N.W. Corner of 44th and Robinson.
    4. Do your remember Shipman's Restaurant on the Southside?
    9. You aren't old enough to remember wearing Wedges are you?
    10. If you played gigs with Don Todd then maybe you remember Al Good? Let's check and see if you can tell me the name of his band???? Did you know that they played the fairground for all of the rodeos plus the NFR for ever?
    11. Try Mustard on your Fries next time.
    3. That's the one I'm thinking of. I thought it was the Alamo Courts.

4. Shipman's! YEAH! All the biscuits and honey you could eat. My mouth still waters every time we drive by the building. I ate at the one on S. Robinson around 1982.

9. Wedges? Not sure. Do you mean Weejuns the penny loafter?

10. I played many, many, many, many gigs on the Al Good band. The name of the band was the Al Good Orchestra. I played the Rodeo's too, and the circus and just about anything that came along.

11. Mustard fries... I don't think so.

Prunepicker Guest

Is Mulligan's Flats the district on the river between May and Western?

Prunepicker Guest

This may be too quick of a notice but I'm playing jazz at the Ranch Steakhouse just west of N. May on Britton Road. We'll be there from 7pm until 10pm.

A really GREAT band.

I was 6 months old during the Spring '60. My mother held me wrapped in a blanket in the hall. My older brothers and sisters were either at school or at work. It blew out our windows, but took roofs off of the houses around us. The people directly across the street lost their roof and built a cellar later that year.

Keirn's Dairy (Agnew and 44th) had the BEST broasted chicken and potatoes and was one of the few "take out" items we ever ate. I still remember Mama and Daddy carrying it into the kitchen in the brown paper bags they packed it in, soaked with grease on the bottom. It still sounds good to me!

Speaking of Daddy, God Rest His Sweet Soul, yesterday was one year since we lost him.

For years, my Daddy was a butcher at Rudy's Red Bud at 59th and May.

That was called "SandTown"...The flats were just north of the railroad tracks between Many and Pennsylvania.

Wish I had know sooner about the Ranch Steakhouse. I have Al Good's Valve Trombone. I visited him about a year before he died and bought a bunch of his old instruments for nothing, he was just getting rid of things. Nostalgia rings true with the Valve Trombone as I played that from the ninth grade (Roosevelt) through high school....Gave him $10.00 for it...Still plays, just a little old like the rest of us.
    ......Wedges were wing tip shoes with a leather flat bottom from front to back...we had Continental Taps (on front) and horseshoe taps on the back. Penny Loafers were considered "kiss me quick" shoes. Then they became the style. We wore Wheat Jeans and Sneakers with no socks...Madras shirts with the tails tucked out. My mother could straight starch anything...Always a crease.

........Try the Mustard fries....you'll enjoy them the first time......No one seems to talk about the restaurant Across the Street at 59th and Agnew. That's where Hal Smith started in the Restaurant business......

.....Do you remember Montgomery Wards downtown?...Being a South Sider, we scraped every penny we could...A "Flip tongue" shoe came into style for a while and Monkey Wards used to have a sample basement...$2.00..(one yard mowed and edged and bagged paid $2.00)

let me know next time:...See ya next time

There was a big donut shop on May and 44th st. Used to sell donuts door to door. The largest one I can remember was Hardigres who eventually ended up a donut factory on Main and Western. They would hired kids to sell donuts and you got so much per dozen. We got to eat all we wanted before we went out to sell. Got to the point I didn't want to see another donut. There is still a shop on south Penn about 55th st.............
    As a kid I did newspapers, handbills, donuts and my specialty was the stuff ordered from the comic boks.. I sold hundreds of blue glittering signs like"Jesus Loves Me". Paid 15 cents was supposed to sell them for 35 cents but I sold mine for 50 cents and kept buying with the extra profit. Got a new Bicycle out of the deal...(Not really new but new to me).

Does anyone remember MR. COFFEY? He was the local door to door insurance salesman for our area. I remember he came around every week and collected 11 cents from my mom...Sometimes she had to scramble :...selling pop bottles etc. but, man those were the days. I used to go to the T.G.&Y. at Mayridge and help the magazine salesman pull the fronts off of the magazines he got..He'd give me all the books I wanted....Boy were they good trading material. Comic books wer in high demand but,.....there were a few "Girlie" magazines...TOP DOLLAR.

Did you know that Mayridge Baptist Church was originally built out of old Army barracks that were moved in. As kids, we helped drag the blocks under the buildings to help the people of the Church.

GOTTA GO:........see ya next timehttp://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/texas-sucks.gif

Ok first of all I am new to the talk as of tonight. I had to join yall are bringing back some great memories, so I figured I would share a few.

See if yall remeber these:
    1.Fox and horn restaurant on western by skate rink
    2.Big Giant grocerystore down on portland (big man still stands there today)
    3.crystals pizza of course very romantic to take a girl in 1976 haha
    4.Jims IGA worked there when i was a teenager.
    5.Across the street restaurant on 59th and agnew (called in order from phone at table) I worked there busing tables and washing dishes as a 14 yr old.
    6. Wilkersons drive in my girlfriend drove me there in a 71 cutlass convertible to eat lunch (her daddys car, ended up marrying that hottie)
    7.los tacos(nuff said)
    8. the spot drive in between 25th and 29th on western owned by truman black and his wife they actually lived right behind sears in that house facing western, he was a good friend i sure miss him.
    9.the drive in theater on 59th and portland by will rodgers airport where thwy pilled all that dirt that now is being removed.
    10.the APCO filling station just south of grant high school.
    11.The taco bell south of grant on penn( was so cool to walk over there and eat)
    12 the foosball joint just south of grant (heard the drugies hung out there shhh).
    13.AFTER THE GOLD RUSH bar where service merchandise is used to be a rough little hang out there.
    14.worked at western sizzlin when it first open in 1975 at the ripe age of 15 and mom and dad let me drive there everynite by myself (shh dont tell that either)
    15. underwoods barbecue on 59th where the big ole car was sits on the corner in between penn and blackwelder was a funeral home also, used to park my 77 bright yellow pickup in the parking lot next to my best friends and his was blue and lay on the hood and watch cruisers go by
    16.billies tastee freeze on may yummy burgers
    17 59th and may south east corner was a bassball feild before apartments went in. used to live behind it on 60th and play there all the time
    18 RUDY GROCERY STORE. had the neatest little kid movie theater in with benches so we could watch cartoons while our parents shopped. was next to tg&y on 59th and may
    19.cruising sonic on 59th, back down to mcdonalds, getting in fights in front of godfathers pizza joint on 59th and may.throwing rocks through windows of old mansion on 59th and may on corner.
    20. skating rink on 29th and agnew.
    21.place to ride your bike we called 5 9

I have so many fond memories of growing up on the southside of OKC, lived most of my years on 60th went to hillcrest elementry had a crush on miss crittenden haha. then went to jefferson middle school and just missed out on being bussed across town by bohanan, back then he was despised.wE MAD A COLLAGE AT JEFFERSON OUT OF TILES AND IT STILL TO THIS DAY HANGS IN JEFFERSON. Then went to THE u.s. grant high school! generals rule by the way. j.d. diggs was principal. was standing by randy truitt when he was shot at school those were some turbulant times during the riots and all.

GRANT TEACHERS AND STAFF
    poppa duck football coach/drivers ed he was so cool
    glen castle coach and/drivers ed (now principal at blanchard high school)
    miss baugh english nice lady
    human resources teacher cant remember his name was kind of a beatnick
    over all i had a great child hood THANK YOU MOM AND DAD I LOVE YALL!!

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    I was 6 months old during the Spring '60. My mother held me wrapped in a blanket in the hall. My older brothers and sisters were either at school or at work. It blew out our windows, but took roofs off of the houses around us. The people directly across the street lost their roof and built a cellar later that year.

Keirn's Dairy (Agnew and 44th) had the BEST broasted chicken and potatoes and was one of the few "take out" items we ever ate. I still remember Mama and Daddy carrying it into the kitchen in the brown paper bags they packed it in, soaked with grease on the bottom. It still sounds good to me!

Speaking of Daddy, God Rest His Sweet Soul, yesterday was one year since we lost him.

For years, my Daddy was a butcher at Rudy's Red Bud at 59th and May.
    OMG teri I probably ran into your dad a million times then and your about the same age as me. very cool memory and sorry to hear about your dad.

Thread Information