Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 138 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459109 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ANDY:... who is telling you all the answers? You're not that old.......
    1. Who was the first manager of the 74th T.G.&Y.?
    2. Where were the two (2) DODSON'S CAFETERIAS?
    3. When did the Reding Shopping Center Open?
    4. What was the name of the hobby shop in Reding?
    5. Where Was Jesse's?
    Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.
    No one. Been on the Southside 54 years. In the early 60s my parents ran a dry cleaners shop in Reding shopping center. It was next door to Fina's shoe repair shop, and Luttrel's barber shop. Do you remember those?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Wasn't that called Metro Park?
    Could have been. I can't remember. I did good just to remember it's location.

Prunepicker Guest

ANDY:... who is telling you all the answers? You're not that old.......
    1. Who was the first manager of the 74th T.G.&Y.?
    5. Where Was Jesse's?
    1. Didn't you tell us that you were the first manager?
    5. I never knew, only heard about him. Where was it?

I never had a job until I was out of high school.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT TO WIN OR LOOSE TO LOOSE OR WIN WE`LL ALWAYS DO OUR BEST TO MEET THE TEST SO LETS FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT .......then it just starts again
    I'm trying to remember how we sang it.

Fight on for USG,
    We had some beer,
    and have to pee...

The rest is a blur.

Jack Clark Dodge
    Chick Coker Pontiac
    R.T. Scott (Scott Chevrolet)
    Downtown Chevrolet
    Fretwell's Chrysler/Plymouth:...........HUDIBURG CHEVROLET

You Bet:....
    How about S&H Green Stamps...Emmer Brothers....Napolean Nash?.....Lerner's ...Otasco:.....Dodson's Cafeteria was in Reding:....Man, that was a good center.

See ya next time:.............

No, Mr. Price was the first manager there. I got to be the first to sweep that big ole building (with a oush broom). I started with T.G.&Y. in '62. Jesse's was off 13th and Walker (S.W.)...I managed the store at 59th/Penn. Ran the sporting goods dept at 411 for some time..... Good ole' days when times were bad...

1. Here's One...don't Remember Myself:.....who Played Count Gragor?:.....
    2. What Year Did Koco Go Color Television And What Was The First Color Picture Shown On Television On Koco? Ida B (blackburn) Was The One To Moderate The Whole Thing.
    3. Do You Know What Don Wallace's Last Name Really?
    4. How About Old Southsider Conway Twitty (real Name)?
    5. The Name Of The Drive Inn (not Theater) On The South Side Of 59/penn?

O.K., here are some you are going to have to have help one.
    1. Where was the Boy/Cub Scout Jamboree held in OKC during the '50's-60's?
    there was a circus also during this time that boy/Cub Scouts were the actors.
    2. Where were most of the boxing Championships held in OKC in the 50's - 60's?
    3. Where was Atlantic Mills located?
    4. First McDonald's in OKC?
    5. First good size indoor shopping Mall in OKC?

Go ahead, call your mom and dad......See Ya next time:...........

3. SW 29 and May in the Grider's Bldg. Fresh popcorn??

Prunepicker Guest

Jack Clark Dodge
    Chick Coker Pontiac
    R.T. Scott (Scott Chevrolet)
    Downtown Chevrolet
    Fretwell's Chrysler/Plymouth:...........HUDIBURG CHEVROLET
    It was Clark that was across from the jail. Scott was on Broadway, right?

Prunepicker Guest

1. Here's One... don't Remember Myself... who Played Count Gragor?:.....
    2. What Year Did Koco Go Color Television And What Was The First Color Picture Shown On Television On Koco? Ida B (blackburn) Was The One To Moderate The Whole Thing.
    3. Do You Know What Don Wallace's Last Name Really?
    4. How About Old Southsider Conway Twitty (real Name)?
    5. The Name Of The Drive Inn (not Theater) On The South Side Of 59/penn?
    1. Ferguson. Was it John Ferguson? By the way, it's Gregore.
    4. He lived on S. Villa. His daughter went to Hillcrest elementary. His band played at the Carnival at Hillcrest in the early 60's. I don't remember him playing, but he may have. Drove across his yard because it jutted out around 65th @ S. Villa.

Prunepicker Guest

You Bet:....
    How about... Emmer Brothers....
    When "A Chorus Line" came to the Civic Center in 1990 the director wanted us pit musicians to wear black, not a tux. I had this ugly black thing hanging in my closet that had Emmer Brother's label sewn on the inside pocket. It was probably from the 70's. When I came home after the first performance my wife said,"Don't you ever wear that in public again!"

I didn't.

O.K. Koco went color in 1964...first image was the american flag out front.
    1. Don Wallace peterson
    2. Harold Jenkins (Conway Twitty)
    3. Hillcrest Drive Inn...It didn't las a real long time for Bus Horton began building and a Chinese food joint opened right there.
    4. Chick Coker was on the corner of about 5th and Dewey....
    5. Really thought Fretwell had the lot across from the old jail.
    YOU GUYS FORGOT THE ARTHUR TIGERSHARKS......
    SEE YA NEXT TIME:...................

OMG Rudy's! And Underwood's BBQ! I remember those. Underwood's made quite an impression on me. A few years ago I racked my brain trying to remember the name of that place and finally decided it was Underwoods. I found a place by the same name in Texas that used to be a franchise that had locations all across the area. I emailed them and the owner was nice enough to email me back. He said back at that time the business was actually split up amongst several of their family members. He swore up and down that they never had a store in Oklahoma though. I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, another nearby BBQ place named Underwood's but man this menu sure looks familiar....

Underwood's Cafeteria - UnderwoodsBBQ.com

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    OMG Rudy's! And Underwood's BBQ! I remember those. Underwood's made quite an impression on me. A few years ago I racked my brain trying to remember the name of that place and finally decided it was Underwoods. I found a place by the same name in Texas that used to be a franchise that had locations all across the area. I emailed them and the owner was nice enough to email me back. He said back at that time the business was actually split up amongst several of their family members. He swore up and down that they never had a store in Oklahoma though. I thought maybe it was just a coincidence, another nearby BBQ place named Underwood's but man this menu sure looks familiar....

As i remember that is what the old menu looked like and the sign as well.

2. Harold Jenkins (Conway Twitty)
    Oh my Gosh...did not know that...He moved to Ranchwood Manor sometime in the late 60s early 70s as We lived on the other side of Santa Fe and I went to school with Joni...and my brother played little league with Jimmy...Joni and I were in choir together at Central Jr High...

Where on the other side of Sante Fe?...I taught Jimmy how to shoot a gun. I also knew their (Joni,Kathy,&Jimmy's) bother Mike?

Who owned the barber shop on 59th and may int the shopping center where rudys was.

rememeber pizza inn on 59th and may also?

the old palm reader on 59th between villa and agnew.

the kodak booth at may and 59th and also 59th in fron of dodsons.

O.K., you got me on the barber shop. Pizza Inn was a pretty good pizza joint in its day. Last time I checked it was a daycare center. My father-in-law used to really like to go there for Pizza.

Palm Reader....Yep.........always wondered why people would have their palms read when all they needed to do was study their Bible. The future for everyone is there and it doesn't cost anything.

Koday Booths............Yep, you won't believe this but the guy that hauled them off asked if I wanted one of them...Didn't know what to do with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you remember the pyramid scheme Koscot and Dare to be great? Wonder what happened to all of those Millionaires. After Across the street closed they used that area for a meeting place. Went to one meeting and it was so phony I got up and walked out during the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post

Didn't that restaurant become a Funeral Home and a Crematorium? What a coincidence......

[B]EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD TAKE NOTICE:A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SATURDAY AT 12;30 let's all meet at the coney island in capitol Hill. Pay for your own meal but the memories you hear wil be priceless (or worthless), everyone tht\at can and will let me know so we can get the place set-up. I know, you're busy on saturday....but, you still eat lunch and guys be a cheap date......

EVERYONE READING THIS IS WELCOME TO BE THERE

let me know:...........see ya next time

[B]EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD TAKE NOTICE:A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SATURDAY AT 12;30 let's all meet at the coney island in capitol Hill. Pay for your own meal but the memories you hear wil be priceless (or worthless), everyone tht\at can and will let me know so we can get the place set-up. I know, you're busy on saturday....but, you still eat lunch and guys be a cheap date......

EVERYONE READING THIS IS WELCOME TO BE THERE

let me know:...........see ya next time
    COUNT ME IN........

Prunepicker Guest

O.K., you got me on the barber shop. Pizza Inn was a pretty good pizza joint in its day. Last time I checked it was a daycare center. My father-in-law used to really like to go there for Pizza.
    The Pizza Inn is still there. A friend mom took us there for the first after it opened. $1.59 all you can eat! I ate at least 2 pepperonis

Prunepicker Guest

I'll try to be there. I won't know until that morning.

Thread Information