Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 138 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

funny story.
    My cousin went on foreman scotty on his birthday got to sit on the horse. All month he bragged about getting to sit on the horse and nananie boo boo you dont get to! But somehow i got justice, they put him on the horse he froze like a icecicle and pee`d all over himself and the horse. Of course scotty jumped back a little to avoid the oncoming waterfall.....YES!(shaking fist in the air)

4. Sinclair Station ...kids used to try and steal the dinosaur
    6. Leroy was a wrestling promoter...help to establish the WWF.
    7. Foreman Scotty "Goofy" sidekick beside Danny Williams
    9. All were Dirt Track Stock Car Drivers at Taft Stadium in the early to middle 50's. All southsiders.
    10. Tim Holt "B" Cowboy Movie Star..Work for KLPR because Jack Beasley owed him. He had a few minor problems...
    11. Off 149th eas of 44

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    funny story.
    My cousin went on foreman scotty on his birthday got to sit on the horse. All month he bragged about getting to sit on the horse and nananie boo boo you dont get to! But somehow i got justice, they put him on the horse he froze like a icecicle and pee`d all over himself and the horse. Of course scotty jumped back a little to avoid the oncoming waterfall.....YES!(shaking fist in the air)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When my wife was young, she wanted to do the same thing, she really wanted that GOLD Horseshoe. She reached under the stands and found a nail sticking out, she brought blood to her finger and Foreman Scotty (being the company man) grab her up and did a commercial for bactine...Spray it on her finger and let the little boy next to her get on the birthday horse. Next time you think about it, go buy a horseshoe, paint it Gold and give it to your cousin for Christmas....They really know you care then.

See you next time........

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When my wife was young, she wanted to do the same thing, she really wanted that GOLD Horseshoe. She reached under the stands and found a nail sticking out, she brought blood to her finger and Foreman Scotty (being the company man) grab her up and did a commercial for bactine...Spray it on her finger and let the little boy next to her get on the birthday horse. Next time you think about it, go buy a horseshoe, paint it Gold and give it to your cousin for Christmas....They really know you care then.

See you next time........
    haha good idea and some depends as well.

4. Sinclair Station ...kids used to try and steal the dinosaur
    6. Leroy was a wrestling promoter...help to establish the WWF.
    7. Foreman Scotty "Goofy" sidekick beside Danny Williams
    9. All were Dirt Track Stock Car Drivers at Taft Stadium in the early to middle 50's. All southsiders.
    10. Tim Holt "B" Cowboy Movie Star..Work for KLPR because Jack Beasley owed him. He had a few minor problems...
    11. Off 149th eas of 44
    One of the few times I knew all the answers...

Do you remember the car numbers of those dirt track roundy-round guys? I do...

Quote Originally Posted by FRISKY View Post
    One of the few times I knew all the answers...

Do you remember the car numbers of those dirt track roundy-round guys? I do...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First, I had my picture (I was 10) made with CARL FERGUSON #10
    Then there was Bob Eichor #101....Bill McAlister(went to school with his girls Ann and Carlotta) his number jumped from #12 to whatever he decided on. He was one wild person. But was a teddy bear at heart.
    O.K. I had an Old Age mind go blank. I remember going on Friday night and what a time we had. My best friend has stacks of the programs....

do you remember Carol Shipman?.......The beauty Queen they all wanted to kiss.
    I got a kiss from her one time (I was grown) and it brought back memories. Of course by then she was married to Jude Northcutt of Jude and Jody fame. Carol passed away a few years ago.NOW tell me names and numbers....But, where did you go to school/ what year and what part of town are you from?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First, I had my picture (I was 10) made with CARL FERGUSON #10
    Then there was Bob Eichor #101....Bill McAlister(went to school with his girls Ann and Carlotta) his number jumped from #12 to whatever he decided on. He was one wild person. But was a teddy bear at heart.
    O.K. I had an Old Age mind go blank. I remember going on Friday night and what a time we had. My best friend has stacks of the programs....

do you remember Carol Shipman?.......The beauty Queen they all wanted to kiss.
    I got a kiss from her one time (I was grown) and it brought back memories. Of course by then she was married to Jude Northcutt of Jude and Jody fame. Carol passed away a few years ago.NOW tell me names and numbers....But, where did you go to school/ what year and what part of town are you from?
    ================================================== =====
    1. How About Spin & Marty?
    2. How come Columbus Elementary always had the biggest guys in Little League
    3. Remember Sam Goldstein? The original Sam's on Agnew
    4. How did Gene Wade acquire Cattlemens" Restaurant?
    5. Where were you when the Armour meat plant blew up?
    6. Remember Mrs. Pendell at Roosevelt?....Tough Judicial Judge now.
    7. Judge Twyla Gray is married to an old Grant Graduate (Charlie '66)
    8. Anyone remember Tracy Norwood?
    9..Hey Girls how about Mr. Hess or ms. Carter, Mr. Fuller....My senior year in Fuller's class we thought it would be funny to put a tack in one of the girls chairs. When she sat down and that went in her back side I felt so bad...Have seen her off and on over the years....But, 44 years later I drove to Ardmore (where she lives now) and apologized to her in front of her husband. Feel better about it now.
    10. How many out there got an old brick from the school? My wife was a cheerleader and she always stood on a certain spot in the courtyard. I conned the demo guy to let me go in there and get those bricks for her....She still has them. I also got the science desks out of there...(wife is a science teacher at Jefferson now)......I do have a bunch of the original locker handles from Grant....Don't even ask...but, if you want one let me know....
    11. Any of you guys go to camp classen?
    12. Do you Rember "beat the HIll Friday night"..............anyone remember Connie Hahn:...Cha-cha-cha.....I saw Janice Triechler at the Grant before demo and reminded her of Cha-cha-cha:......She sais she was too old for that nonsense. How about Dan Marker? Did you know there were tow (2) mrs. Mannings teaching at the same time? One English and one Jr. Hi Choir....during the tear down of the school I came across the regional marching bands trophy for 1965...Any old band members out there that wants this?...Or I guess I could give it back . It was in a dumpster. see ya next time:.....................
    see ya next time:.............

I'll have to call my dad on those. He's US Grant '58. I know there was an Apco Service Station at SW 65 and May where the current 7-11 is. Full service and they sold gallon containers of Bordens milk. There was a DX Service station at SW 74 and May. My dad was friends with the owner who apparently was a star athlete at Grant or Capitol Hill?? What year did the kid get stabbed at Grant. I remember as a kid that was a huge deal and scared me to death.
    I think Camp Kickapoo sits on County Line Rd around SW 102?? I know I got my hand messed up pretty bad in a Cub Scouts Tug O War there, probably around 1968 or 1969.
    Wonder if I could still sue the Cub Scouts, Camp Kickapoo, and the rope mfg? Just kidding. This is an enjoyable thread, keep it going!!

I think Bill Green is the name of the man who owned the DX service station at S.W. 74th and May. I know Mr. Green, and I know he had a gas station on the Southside, but I'm not positive of its location. He coached baseball for the S.S. Chiefs. I remember one time after a heavy rain our game was going to be cancelled because the fields were extreamly muddy. Mr. Green poured a few gallons of gas on the infield, lit it up, and dried it out enough for us to play on. Back then gas was only a quarter or so a gallon. I doubt he would have done that at todays price of gas.

Thats hilarious!! Davis, Woodson or Friendship Field??

Ok here is one I bet no one knows.
    Who had the gas station at s.w.29th and penn?
    what kind of station was it?
    When he shut it down where did he move his business on 29th?

(subliminal message) hey general that locker handle perked my ears up hint hint!

Quote Originally Posted by fire121 View Post
    Thats hilarious!! Davis, Woodson or Friendship Field??
    None of the above. Not sure what its name was. If I remember right it was called S.W. Optimist. Its long gone and has been for many years. It was a little south of S.W. 74th St. on S. Central.

(subliminal message) hey general that locker handle perked my ears up hint hint!
    Jack Childers, Phillips. Am I close?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Jack Childers, Phillips. Am I close?
    WOW...that did not take long...it was actually him and his dads peewee childers and jack and yes was a phillips 66

O.K. you're covered on the handle when we go to Coney island I'll bring you one.
    Is that the old station where the welder is now? If so, you had to have asked someone for that one I just barely remember that.

ANDY:... who is telling you all the answers? You're not that old.......
    1. Who was the first manager of the 74th T.G.&Y.?
    2. Where were the two (2) DODSON'S CAFETERIAS?
    3. When did the Reding Shopping Center Open?
    4. What was the name of the hobby shop in Reding?
    5. Where Was Jesse's?
    Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.

Quote Originally Posted by fire121 View Post
    I'll have to call my dad on those. He's US Grant '58. I know there was an Apco Service Station at SW 65 and May where the current 7-11 is. Full service and they sold gallon containers of Bordens milk. There was a DX Service station at SW 74 and May. My dad was friends with the owner who apparently was a star athlete at Grant or Capitol Hill?? What year did the kid get stabbed at Grant. I remember as a kid that was a huge deal and scared me to death.
    I think Camp Kickapoo sits on County Line Rd around SW 102?? I know I got my hand messed up pretty bad in a Cub Scouts Tug O War there, probably around 1968 or 1969.
    Wonder if I could still sue the Cub Scouts, Camp Kickapoo, and the rope mfg? Just kidding. This is an enjoyable thread, keep it going!!
    Hey:.................
    Mr. Daugherty owned a champlin Station on 59th and May...He had two sons and a daughter. One of his sons is sometimes on this thread. Both boys were fireman...

1. One of the earlier science teachers at Grant (many years ago) got a lot at Cedar Lake donated to Grant's Science club. The guys spent numerous week-ends getting the trees and brush cleared, the lot sparkled then, the teacher would only take the girls down there HMMMMMM.
    2. Gene Wade won the original (North side) Cattlemen's in a dice game..Threw a hard six (2-3's). The part most of you might remember is the new side.
    3. I was in the eighth grade when the Armour plant blew. It was as loud or louder than the Murrah building.
    4. Tracy Norwood was the old football coach in the late 50's early 60's. We actual won a bunch of games back then.

ANDY:... who is telling you all the answers? You're not that old.......
    1. Who was the first manager of the 74th T.G.&Y.?
    2. Where were the two (2) DODSON'S CAFETERIAS?
    3. When did the Reding Shopping Center Open?
    4. What was the name of the hobby shop in Reding?
    5. Where Was Jesse's?
    Answer those...just about every southside kid worked at a T.G.& Y.
    just know of the one dodsons and am cluless on the rest

just know of the one dodsons and am cluless on the rest
    1. H.O. Price was the first Store Manager at 74th st. We started putting the fixtures together in the original store on June 4th, 1964.
    2. There was a Dodson's Cafeteria in Reding and at 59th & Penn.
    3. Hobby Shop was Doncene's...They had it all...from 45's (rpm) to gasoline powered airplane. They had a model car contest going on all the time.
    4. Reding shopping center opened 1955. John Kennedy came there during his campaign for President in 1960.
    5. Jesse's was off of 13th and Walker....Ladies of the night, outlaw Whiskey and plenty of Trouble.

This is fun......I've got to quit and go to work (that's what my wife said)...

1. Can you guys name any of the old car dealerships in OKC area.? like what was the name of the old Pontiac Dealer? Or the Plymouth dealer across from the old jail.
    2. How about grade school mascot names?.....Arthur, Coolidge, Fillmore, Rancho Village, John Adams, Rockwood, Jackson, Roosevelt, Jefferson, Capitol Hill Jr. High yes, there was one and it's still there (Middle school).
    4. What was Grant's fight song?
    5. What class (year) and name of teacher wrote Grant's Alma Mater?
    6. What class donated the cannon?
    7. Can you tell the name of the first heavy weight wrestling champ from grant (High School)? His trophy was in the hall trophy case by the gym until the school was torn down. It is probably in the trophy area at the new school.
    8. Did you know there was a time capsule buried in front of the school and it was not dug up?
    9. One of Grant's former vice-principals was at one Superintendent of OKC schools.
    10. If you guys want to meet for a coney hot dog some saturday I'll bring some of the Old Grant Reporter newspapers......They are quite unique.
    11. How about where was the "SMOKING AREA" designated at Grant? Both kids and teachers...........

see ya next time:................

1. jack clark crysler plymouth,scott chevrolet,kinda okc alan merrill chevy,bus horton ford, southwest ford,fred jones
    2. jefferson statesman, grant generals,chapitol hill redskins, southeat spartans,jackson tigers,coolidge crockodiles,
    4.fighton for us grant
    8. OMG NO when was it buried and why is it not up?
    10.sounds like a plan
    11. court yard duhhhhhhhhh

Mr. Usery.....who was he?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    None of the above. Not sure what its name was. If I remember right it was called S.W. Optimist. Its long gone and has been for many years. It was a little south of S.W. 74th St. on S. Central.
    Wasn't that called Metro Park?

Prunepicker Guest

This is fun......I've got to quit and go to work (that's what my wife said)...

1. Can you guys name any of the old car dealerships in OKC area.? like what was the name of the old Pontiac Dealer? Or the Plymouth dealer across from the old jail.
    2. How about grade school mascot names?.....Arthur, Coolidge, Fillmore, Rancho Village, John Adams, Rockwood, Jackson, Roosevelt, Jefferson, Capitol Hill Jr. High yes, there was one and it's still there (Middle school).
    1. Wasn't that Coker Dodge?

2. Coolidge Crocodiles, Adams Beavers, Filmore Falcons(?) Hillcrest Hornets, Sluggers & Hillbillies, Westwood Wranglers, Prairie Queen Schooners, St. James Giants, Garfield Gladiators...

4. The same as USC. Fight on for USG... That's all I ever knew

FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT TO WIN OR LOOSE TO LOOSE OR WIN WE`LL ALWAYS DO OUR BEST TO MEET THE TEST SO LETS FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT FIGHT ON FOR US GRANT .......then it just starts again

Thread Information