Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

ok here is some I vaguely remember.
    1.JOHN A BROWN loved the futuristic escalator...I have one of there signs.
    2.SHEEN
    3.OTASCO on 29th with the awesum christmas catalogues
    4.YARD DARTS absoloutly awesum cat chasers oops
    5.WHAMMO toy that was a double bar with spinning wheel in middle went around the wire and back with a handle you made it roll with.
    6. CLACKERS....NUFF SAID
    7.finally CONEY ISLAND IN ORIGINAL SPOT ON 25TH

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    I know.Thats what made it so much fun. But you were waiting on the youngsters that followed the S.E. class of "73". I had(and still do)lots of good friends that went to U.S.G., we all played football/baseball for "Ole fat Ted". He was quite a guy. Do you remember his lettering shop?
    No I did not know he had one please tell me about it.

Who remembers Griffs Burger Bar on S.W. 59th and Dewey? It was a McDonalds like fast food chain. Sherries Diner is there now. Clydes "Q" pool hall? The underground tunnel at the Skate-A-Roma? The "A" frame German hot dog stand next door to Kenny Skaggs Kirby/ Tag Agency, heres a hint (D W S).
    I always thought that buiding was a old whataburger lol

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Ok me and my wife are at odds
    She says sirloin stockage where the murders took place was siting where western sizzlin is now.

I say it sat out in front of the big tg&y parking lot on the east side of penn.

Who is right?
    You are.

[QUOTE=grantgeneral78;160752]No I did not know he had one please tell me about it.[/QUOTE

Reynolds Lettering was at 46 or 47, maybe 48 or so(can you tell I can't remember) on the West side of Penn. Anyway. Ted Reynolds was one of, if not the, most colorful individuals that hailed from the Southside of OKC in the 60's and 70's era (IMO). But Ted had other business interest as well. Ted owned a bar or two on the Southside. The one I remember, was the Colony Club on 36th and Penn.

Now some may tell you that his lettering shop was really just a front for his "Book" business. It may have been, I don't know. I do know that he loved coaching and sponsering football/baseball teams for Southside kids.

I can tell you one thing about Ted, when it came to uniforms and equipment for his teams, they had the best, money was not an issue, he made sure of that. I don't know if it's still there, but the little league fields at Reno and May were named "Ted Reynolds (Park/Fields)" He was one of a kind for sure.

What was in the building where Office Depot is now on I 240?

Thats a good one. I remember Wehba's ? Grand Bazaar at 240 and Walker with red carpet throughout. Replaced by Pratts. Der Dutchman on the other side of 240. I know I went in there but cannot remember what it was. I listed some of my childhood favorites I think in another thread. Pizza Planet, Shakeys, Crystals Pizza,
    Hotsie Hot Dog, Zorros Tacos, Billies Tastee Freeze , Roy Rogers, Kip's Big Boy. Used to hang out Family Fun Center at SW 74 Penn, Skate A Rama, Putt-Putt, Golf Acres SW 119 west of Penn, MacArthur Park Go Carts, and all the other places folks have listed on here.

8. Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Anyone Remember The Drive Thru Rigt By Grant

Quote Originally Posted by soonerman
    what was in the building where office depot is now on i 240?
    that was a place called handyman hardware.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by fire121
    i remember wehba's ? grand bazaar at 240 and walker with red carpet throughout. replaced by pratts.
    true, but you're forgetting a few tenants... weeba's (sp?) was before my time but after that it was it was mccartney's and crown iga and then it was pratt's.

when it was mccartney's (and possibly weeba's) they would give you a numbered plastic card upon checking out. you'd head out to your car and drive up to the front entrance. your bagged groceries would be loaded up in a big plastic container and would head out on a conveyer... just like the baggage claim at the airport. you'd hand your number to the valet, pop your trunk, and the staff would load your groceries.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    What was in the building where Office Depot is now on I 240?
    Before it was Office Depot, it was Carpet World.

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    true, but you're forgetting a few tenants... weeba's (sp?) was before my time but after that it was it was mccartney's and crown iga and then it was pratt's.

when it was mccartney's (and possibly weeba's) they would give you a numbered plastic card upon checking out. you'd head out to your car and drive up to the front entrance. your bagged groceries would be loaded up in a big plastic container and would head out on a conveyer... just like the baggage claim at the airport. you'd hand your number to the valet, pop your trunk, and the staff would load your groceries.

-M
    You guys are all dreaming. There was a hardware store there and then a Carpet store. It was vacant for about 18 months when Office Depot moved in. Tried to lease the building but, they were real proud of it. Now, if you go to where Primo's etc. you see where McCartney's/Grand Bazaar/ Pratt's used to be.

That Hot Dog place was Der Wiener Schneitzel (sp). They had good hot dogs but, No One beats the Coney Island down town also one in Capitol Hill. they still serve Schwab's Chili.

Clackers were an idea by a guy named "Bud Smith" of Big Red sports sales. He sold T.G. & Y. a boatload of those things until they started exploding upon contact and people were getting badly. I used to run the store on 59th & Penn.... a kid was messing with off the display when one broke and knocked out one of the front glasses. We quit buying them then...his biggest thing was an item that he had cut and put together on a piece of cardboard and they kept your glasses tight. Good idea, he made a fortune we a bunch of them. Can't remember the catchy name he had for them....I'll remember give me time...... Coney Island is next door to the ORIGINAL spot. You are thinking about them being across the street next to the Old Yale Theater.

Quote Originally Posted by etsuco05
    before it was office depot, it was carpet world.
    i knew that spot was something between being handyman hardware and office depot... totally forgot about carpet world... but that's it.

-M

Prunepicker Guest

6. CLACKERS....NUFF SAID
    What were Clackers?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i knew that spot was something between being handyman hardware and office depot... totally forgot about carpet world... but that's it.

-M
    You dudes are almost talking about the EAST side :-)

I rarely went that far.

Prunepicker Guest

What was the name, if any, of the private dairy that was on SW (or SE) 59th? I'm thinking it was near Walker.

Before it was Office Depot, it was Carpet World.
    I was the commercial real estate broker that sold that building to Harold Akin of Carpet World.

It sat vacant for about a year before they took it over in August of '86.

Who remembers...The "A" frame German hot dog stand next door to Kenny Skaggs Kirby/ Tag Agency, heres a hint (D W S).
    Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    That Hot Dog place was Der Wiener Schneitzel (sp).
    Yep, it was Der Wienerschnitzel. I still have a promo 33rpm LP record from there.

ok here is some for you guys

1.ed cox tv and appliance..does anyone know where ed cox is now?
    2.the 2 guys that had the appliace store on about 22nd south western, one guy would cut the other guys tie off.
    3.Kiesperts grocery on western
    4.majic cleaners and laundry on 25th and kentucky
    5.boomer body shop 25th and kentucky
    6. the old store at the curve on kentucky by the city dept. dangit cant remember the name dadgonit!!

ok here is some for you guys

1.ed cox tv and appliance..does anyone know where ed cox is now?
    2.the 2 guys that had the appliace store on about 22nd south western, one guy would cut the other guys tie off.
    3.Kiesperts grocery on western
    4.majic cleaners and laundry on 25th and kentucky
    5.boomer body shop 25th and kentucky
    6. the old store at the curve on kentucky by the city dept. dangit cant remember the name dadgonit!!
    1. After Ed and his wife split he just disappeared...
    2. Kiespert's what a dive in the old days:...It's a Mexican dance Hall now.
    3. Majic cleaners just "closed" their doors after many years.

Now her is some for you
    1. Do you know where the Rancho Village Center is?
    2. Do you know where Robert Halls clothing Store was located
    3. What kind of Service Station was at 59th and Western...Name of the Gas co.?
    4. Do you remember the Champlin Station on 59th and May?
    5. Who was Jack Beasley?.
    6. Who was Leroy McGuirk?
    7. Do you remember Hawg Waller?
    8. How about Dan D. Dynamo's personal Robot...His name?
    9. Do you remember these names and what they were famous for in OKC?:.."Wild Bill" Mcalister, Carl Ferguson, Bob Eichor.
    10. For whom did Tim Holt work for during the last years of his life? Southsider...do you know who Tim Holt was?
    11. Where is Camp Kickapoo?...........

Let me know:...........See ya next time

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    What were Clackers?
    Clackers were DANGEROUS they were two polyurethane type balls (size of a Golf Ball) with a string through them and you shook them until they started clacking and then you tried to see how long you could go.

do you remember the guy that raised Camels on the S.W. corner of 89th and Western. Now, that was cool.......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I remember one time my girlfriend ( now my wife of going on 43 years) and I decided to go and park out by Resthaven Cemetery. Now, as cool as I thought I was I was starting to tell to her a ghost tale...it was warm outside and I had the windows on my '63 Impala 2-door hardtop down.....when out of no where a dairy cow had gotten and she stuck her and moooed it scared me more than my girlfriend and that Chevrolet never nor ran that fast in the five years I owned it. Almost yanked the cows head...she got caught in the car....Funny now but it scared the crap out of me...didn't go and park anymore after that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    1. After Ed and his wife split he just disappeared...
    2. Kiespert's what a dive in the old days:...It's a Mexican dance Hall now.
    3. Majic cleaners just "closed" their doors after many years.

Now her is some for you
    1. Do you know where the Rancho Village Center is?
    2. Do you know where Robert Halls clothing Store was located
    3. What kind of Service Station was at 59th and Western...Name of the Gas co.?
    4. Do you remember the Champlin Station on 59th and May?
    5. Who was Jack Beasley?.
    6. Who was Leroy McGuirk?
    7. Do you remember Hawg Waller?
    8. How about Dan D. Dynamo's personal Robot...His name?
    9. Do you remember these names and what they were famous for in OKC?:.."Wild Bill" Mcalister, Carl Ferguson, Bob Eichor.
    10. For whom did Tim Holt work for during the last years of his life? Southsider...do you know who Tim Holt was?
    11. Where is Camp Kickapoo?...........

Let me know:...........See ya next time
    1. S.W. 36th and Blackwelder
    2. No
    3. Ralph Terrells APCO ( Anderson-Pritchard ) Oil Co.
    4. No
    5. Smilin Jack owned the KLPR radio station and Crossroads Bank also
    6. Wrestler
    7. No
    8. ?
    9. No
    10. ?
    11. I know where it is, but I can't remember where it is, anymore

8. was Bazark
    4.yes
    I knew some that got answered but not all....god my memory is shot haha

Thread Information