Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 138 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156106 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

The donut shop on 59th and Penn. is Geralds. He started out on the N.W. corner of S.W. 59th and Penn. Then they moved across the street to the shopping center, next door(maybe 2 or 3) to Dodsons. Later he moved again to the current locaton on the west side of Penn between 59th and 55th.

The Alamo Courts Motel was ( is?) on the S.E. corner of S.W. 44th and Rob. I grew up with a guy who lived there, his parents owned it.

How about Capitol Hill ice cream on the South side of S.W. 29th between Rob. and Harvey, you guys remember that?

I almost forgot. A couple of my most fondest memories of growing up on the Southside had to do with painting a cannon. Some of you know what I'm talking about.

Around 73 there was a resturant on the corner of 59th and Agnew. I worked there as a waitress. My first real job at 16. There was a sit down resturant and a drive in outside. I worked inside. It is now a Del Rancho...But then it was Don's Drive In and the owner also owned Don's in Del City....
    I loved their fries and hamburgers....

I met alot of people there. A Fireman named Kenneth Walker was a regular as was his son in law...
    I remember Geralds Donuts also...I think they were open 24 hrs....

It seemed like then I was either working or in school...when we got off sometimes we would go eat either donuts or shakeys pizzas....
    Cindy

I also remember during the summer and maybe a few more times DAIRY QUEEN on south may would price the footlong hotdogs for .99 and my mom and dad loaded us kids up in the 1966 ford galaxie 7-litre and away we went and boy were those good!

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    I almost forgot. A couple of my most fondest memories of growing up on the Southside had to do with painting a cannon. Some of you know what I'm talking about.
    Yea Andy me and some friends waited on you guys.....GRRRR!

Prunepicker Guest

The donut shop on 59th and Penn. is Geralds. He started out on the N.W. corner of S.W. 59th and Penn. Then they moved across the street to the shopping center, next door(maybe 2 or 3) to Dodsons. Later he moved again to the current locaton on the west side of Penn between 59th and 55th.

The Alamo Courts Motel was ( is?) on the S.E. corner of S.W. 44th and Rob. I grew up with a guy who lived there, his parents owned it.

How about Capitol Hill ice cream on the South side of S.W. 29th between Rob. and Harvey, you guys remember that?
    Thanks for setting the Alamo Court straight. I knew it was there, just not where I thought I remembered.

Gerald's Donuts!!!

I've been thinking about the Capitol Hill ice cream place since a date and I found it accident @ 1970. We were lost.

All Right Kid:..WELCOME TO THE HOME PAGE "SOUTHSIDERS"
    1. Big Giant food Store just closed last week. The big giant on Portland was originally Honest John's. Owned by the same family however as Big giant and Fox Lumber.
    2. Remember the Moose Head at Crystals? I still have it hanging over my fireplace.
    3. Across the Street was where Hal Smith (owner of Charleston's etc.) started in the food business.
    .4 The Taco Bell on S. Penn was opened in 1965. I was married in '66 my wife first got pregnant in '68 and that was ALL she would eat...Bad Memories there. Not Really.
    5. The skating rink building is still there you must have been very small when you skated there and it is on 27th st. It is a carpet store now. The floor is still there though.
    6. However, STAY with us you have some good memories.

O.K. you are right about the Alamo Courts. But, there was a Motel on the N.W. corner of 44th and Robison...Was deemed a bad mess and bulldozed down. The corner is still level. Was a major Brothel in South OKC. Do you remember Jesse's?

2. Kaiser's on 10th (N.W.) and Walker had the same GREAT ICE CREAM. My wife's father was a refrigeration man and I would go with him on calls all the ice cream you wanted when the cooler's "down".

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Thanks for setting the Alamo Court straight. I knew it was there, just not where I thought I remembered.

Gerald's Donuts!!!

I've been thinking about the Capitol Hill ice cream place since a date and I found it accident @ 1970. We were lost.
    hey hotshot....you weren't lost you just had a pretty girl with you. Do you remember the Auto Supply store that was next to it? What was the name?

When you were maybe two (2) we used to go on Wednesday night to a dance on S. Robinson at the Kiwanis Club. Never used that much Brylcreem in my life....Thought it was cool though.

See Ya next time..............

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    All Right Kid:..WELCOME TO THE HOME PAGE "SOUTHSIDERS"
    1. Big Giant food Store just closed last week. The big giant on Portland was originally Honest John's. Owned by the same family however as Big giant and Fox Lumber.
    2. Remember the Moose Head at Crystals? I still have it hanging over my fireplace.
    3. Across the Street was where Hal Smith (owner of Charleston's etc.) started in the food business.
    .4 The Taco Bell on S. Penn was opened in 1965. I was married in '66 my wife first got pregnant in '68 and that was ALL she would eat...Bad Memories there. Not Really.
    5. The skating rink building is still there you must have been very small when you skated there and it is on 27th st. It is a carpet store now. The floor is still there though.
    6. However, STAY with us you have some good memories.
    Are we talking about the same BIG GIANT, the one that has the big guy holding up the sign between 15th and 25th on portland if so they closed years ago and several business have been in there even a paintball gaming. BIG GIANT had the best home made bread my wife worked in the bakery as a teen.

Yes I do remember the moose head..that was cool
    Wow never knew hal smith owner that!
    My wife skated at that rink her daddy took her and they did the hokey pokey.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Are we talking about the same BIG GIANT, the one that has the big guy holding up the sign between 15th and 25th on portland if so they closed years ago and several business have been in there even a paintball gaming. BIG GIANT had the best home made bread my wife worked in the bakery as a teen.
    The Big Giant on Portland closed many years ago. We never shopped there but us kids wanted to because of the cool sign.

It's a Mexican business of some kind, now, unless that's closed, too. There was a junk yard just north we used to go to.

How about hecklers joke shop on about 61st and western in the shopping center, bought a many stink bombs there for school.

wasnt on the soutside but remember when lynn hickey and evil kneivel were in the van at the dealership....funny stuff right there!

Ok me and my wife are at odds
    She says sirloin stockage where the murders took place was siting where western sizzlin is now.

I say it sat out in front of the big tg&y parking lot on the east side of penn.

Who is right?

OMG teri I probably ran into your dad a million times then and your about the same age as me. very cool memory and sorry to hear about your dad.
    check Friday's paper in the obit section. There was a memorial message for Daddy and a photo of him, if you want to check it out.

Yes, we're about the same age. I graduated in 1978 from Christian Heritage Academy

You win the prize.

About 5 years ago, I put together a Southside Trivia Quiz for our annual "old friends" Christmas party. I may post it here later. Should I post it under this thread or start a new "Southside Trivia" thread?

Stay where it is...Some of us are getting REAL OLD and confusion sets in fast.

see ya next time:...............

Ok me and my wife are at odds
    She says sirloin stockage where the murders took place was siting where western sizzlin is now.

I say it sat out in front of the big tg&y parking lot on the east side of penn.

Who is right?
    You are correct Sir.

Stay where it is...Some of us are getting REAL OLD and confusion sets in fast.

see ya next time:...............
    1. Hey do you guys (U.S. Grant remember who the longest tenured teacher at Grant was?
    2. Anyone remember Mr. Monjaras?
    3. I had Mrs. Baugh in my Junior year. Learned a lot from her.
    4. Grant's winningest football coach was Dick Evans. However, he won the games while he was head coach at Midwest City.
    5. In 1966 Grant won a city basketball championship and they weren't even considered to be good enough to play. Big Fluke but, Grant got the win and the trophy.

Grant has a "colorful" History it's too bad someone doesn't write about it and it's rival Capitol Hill. Southeast was not a threat, they were just there. Bobby Murcer was good too bad he passed away. Prayers are always with Kay and the kids.

See Ya next time:............

Who remembers Griffs Burger Bar on S.W. 59th and Dewey? It was a McDonalds like fast food chain. Sherries Diner is there now. Clydes "Q" pool hall? The underground tunnel at the Skate-A-Roma? The "A" frame German hot dog stand next door to Kenny Skaggs Kirby/ Tag Agency, heres a hint (D W S).

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    About 5 years ago, I put together a Southside Trivia Quiz for our annual "old friends" Christmas party. I may post it here later. Should I post it under this thread or start a new "Southside Trivia" thread?
    Teri, I would put it here.

You are correct Sir.
    Thank you Andy! my wife also says "THANKS ALOT!!!"

1. Hey do you guys (U.S. Grant remember who the longest tenured teacher at Grant was?
    2. Anyone remember Mr. Monjaras?
    3. I had Mrs. Baugh in my Junior year. Learned a lot from her.
    4. Grant's winningest football coach was Dick Evans. However, he won the games while he was head coach at Midwest City.
    5. In 1966 Grant won a city basketball championship and they weren't even considered to be good enough to play. Big Fluke but, Grant got the win and the trophy.

Grant has a "colorful" History it's too bad someone doesn't write about it and it's rival Capitol Hill. Southeast was not a threat, they were just there. Bobby Murcer was good too bad he passed away. Prayers are always with Kay and the kids.

See Ya next time:............
    It was a woman right?

Yea Andy me and some friends waited on you guys.....GRRRR!
    I know.Thats what made it so much fun. But you were waiting on the youngsters that followed the S.E. class of "73". I had(and still do)lots of good friends that went to U.S.G., we all played football/baseball for "Ole fat Ted". He was quite a guy. Do you remember his lettering shop?

Thread Information