Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 138 FirstFirst 123456752102 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Where exactly was the twilight zone located?

Where was the Twilight Zone?

Also, where was the park terrace theater? I live in Houston now, but at one time, 1997, I lived in SOKC. I enjoyed my time there, but I'm not familiar with some of the more obscure hotspots. Also, what was the deal with the mansion on Draper lake that had some urban legends to go along with it??????

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ddavidson8 View Post
    Where exactly was the twilight zone located?
    It was the Gatewood edition which is about 3 blocks east of N. Penn on 23rd.

Prunepicker

Yeah, the Moore school district has always had unusual borders - it still reaches as far north as SW 82nd if I'm not mistaken. Many moons ago, Moore successfully fought of an annexation attempt by OKC, retained control of their schools, and avoided the abyss many OKC schools became, particularly during the busing days. Moore sprang up in no small part due to the suburban flight after busing was imposed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe at one time many, many years ago, Fairview *was* an OKC public school, but back in the day OKC and Moore worked out some sort of an exchange that made it a Moore school. Don't know where I remember that, but when I saw "Fairview" that's the first thing I thought of. Sadly, some friends of mine live in that area around Fairview, and it has apparently turned into a pretty rough school - even for an elementary. The neighborhood immediately around (primarily north of) Fairview has become increasingly rental property, with short-term tenants and deteriorating properies as a result. I have an aunt and uncle that live in that vicinity, and their area crime has gotten so bad she's having an alarm installed in a house they've lived in to this point for over 40 years virtually trouble-free....sad...also know the big Baptist church there on the corner has experienced an increase in vandalism and break-ins...

sd-

you're right about 82nd street. the exact boundary is the power lines running roughly between 82nd & 81st streets.

as for fairview, i don't think it was ever an okc school. as a kid, i went to sky ranch and the two were referred to as sister schools. both have similar layouts and similar architectural styles. northmoore elementary and the original kelly elementary also have that architectural style. to me, that's pretty good evidence that fairview has always been a part of the moore district.

-M

The "Twilight Zone" is a street called Carey Place, in the historic Gatewood residential district near OCU. The legend had it that the street was a center of devil worship in the 1930's, hence the wrought iron window bars with spears on theends. (yeah, right...) But, you know how urban legends go. I believe it was also called the "doll houses". It IS a strange looking street, just because a trolley car used to have a route down that street and it is VERY narrow. Yes, it does seem quite scary driving down the street at night with a car filled with screaming impressionable teens.

The Park Terrace Theatre was at SW 58th and Western. I remember when it opened - strobe lights, big opening. It was the first theatre to open southside - prior to that, we southsiders had to go north to see a decent movie. I think that the first movie to show there was some John Wayne western. I distinctly remember seeing Mary Poppins there. It was all red velvet and gilding.

The "mansion" was supposedly a large old home out by Lake Stanley Draper in which resided an old African American gentlemen who, as legend had it, would appear at the front door with a gun and shoot at anyone who drove up the long drive. You can imagine what the name of the mansion was in that era (unfortunately). The story was that he was crazy and had killed some people. Of course, I really don't know if it even existed. Everyone I ever talked to who went there got scared and turned back before driving up the drive. I really think it's an urban legend and there never was even a mansion there.

I remember going to Arthur in the 50s Roosevelt in the 60s and then Grant. I remember playing in the woods along Independence Avenue. Mom worked every day and came home and cooked dinner for us every night. I remember when it was a big deal for us to get all dressed up when I was about 13 and Dad took us out to eat at Cattlemens. I wore dresses all the days I was in school, and I also walked to all of the schools I attended until I got rides in high school. I remember feeling deprived because mama cooked all our meals as a kid and now when I can find a recipe like one she cooked its like my most prized possession.

I remember getting my first job in the Sporting Goods department at TGY #411. John Robinett was my boss and HO Price was the store manager. I remember when I got there I knew nothing of guns and when I left I was managing the department and breaking down AR15s and putting them back together. With my first check I went to Sears on 44th and bought my first beautiful yellow wool suit with my own money. I remember mad at Mike because he liked to drag race his 66 SS and getting all dressed up with heels and dangly earings whenever he took me to the movies at the indoor theatres. Of course he liked the drive ins best. I remember when we hired the Round Table bar for our senior DECA party and how cool it was.

Ah.. to have my whole life ahead of me again... or maybe just go back for one more day..

Does anyone remember the large two or three story house that was very gothic looking that used to be at the corner of SW 59th and May? It was torn down in the late 80s I believe. A few years before its demolition it was used as a haunted house. It looked a lot like the house from the TV show The Munsters.

It's amazing how everyone always remembers Crystals. That restaurant made quite an impression on a lot of people.

Angel 27, you and I seem to have led almost parallel school lives! I went to Arthur Elementary in the mid 1960's (beginning with Kindergarten in 1965) and then Roosevelt in the 7th grade before my parents put me into a private Christian School. I remember well Independence (grew up around 53rd & Drexel) and walking or riding our bikes everyone. It seemed so safe then. It was a BIG deal when the DQ went in on 51st & May. My Daddy worked as a butcher at Rudy's Red Bud for years, until his retirement in 1981. We always did our Christmas shopping at Sear's. I remember the smell of popcorn at their candy counter (you know, the GOOD kind popped in COCONUT OIL!!)

I wouldn't mind going back for just a couple of days, just as long as I could know all that I know now.

Dis...Yes I remember the old 2 (or 3) story farmhouse well! The family name was Mohr, and there's no telling how long they had been there. There is still nothing on the actual corner lot where the house was, but a church is now using the old Grider's Food Store building and a Sonic is on the far East of the property (with an assisted living facility bordering the NE corner).

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Does anyone remember the large two or three story house that was very gothic looking that used to be at the corner of SW 59th and May? It was torn down in the late 80s I believe. A few years before its demolition it was used as a haunted house. It looked a lot like the house from the TV show The Munsters.
    The house was on the N.E. corner of S.W. 59th and May. It was only 1 story and not that big. I played baseball directly across the street (south) where the apartments are and lived just a little way from it. We went through that intersection almost daily for many years.

Prunepicker

Prunepicker - You sure it was only one story? Sure seemed like at least two stories to me. If you didn't live far from there, you didn't live far from me. :-)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    Prunepicker - You sure it was only one story? Sure seemed like at least two stories to me. If you didn't live far from there, you didn't live far from me. :-)
    It had a tall pointed roof and was on a high foundation. I lived at 63rd & S. May and went to Hillcrest after it was built in 1960.

Prunepicker

I remember Joker's Comedy Club. it was around for years and i remember it was in 3 different locations, and in brick town at one time.

they were really cool . saw a few cool comedians there, Gallagher, and that
    guy Jeff Dunlap with that old man puppet

last time i went there they were on 56th and may.

In a place where a club called The Plum was at also at one time.

I think there was a club inthe same place called The Boar's Head .

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    It had a tall pointed roof and was on a high foundation. I lived at 63rd & S. May and went to Hillcrest after it was built in 1960.

Prunepicker
    I grew up at 53rd & S. Drexel. Did you live anywhere near the two-toned purple house?

Thanks for the detailed response Teri. I live in Houston now, so I can't revisist these places often.

I'd love to see photos of the Park Terrace theater if anyone has some. It's been torn down though, right?

Actually I just saw a picture of it on Google Maps Street View. I often drove by that theater wondering which one it was and when it closed. It was several night clubs at one time correct?

Prunepicker Guest

I grew up at 53rd & S. Drexel. Did you live anywhere near the two-toned purple house?
    Ha! Yes! We were on the south side of the street and the middle house of the seven. There was a shooting there in the mid 60's. I never knew who they were.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    The house was on the N.E. corner of S.W. 59th and May. It was only 1 story and not that big. I played baseball directly across the street (south) where the apartments are and lived just a little way from it. We went through that intersection almost daily for many years.

Prunepicker
    Yeah that's the one. I've always wondered what the story was on it... it seemed so out of place both in its location and its style. I always wondered if it had been there since statehood or what.

SouthsideSooner Guest

I went to Arthur and Roosevelt too. I grew up thinking I would attend Grant high school but because my family lived on the west side of May ave., I was bused to Capitol Hill. My first year in high school was the year they started busing. Our city was on the national news frequently because of the racial violence. It was a horrible time.

We used to go to lunch at a place called Los Tacos next to Knob Liquor. They had the fattest burritos and tacos loaded with meat and cheese. After disappearing for many years, the same family reopened Los Tacos a couple of years ago at 89th and S. May using the same recipes and portions. Check it out.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideSooner View Post
    I went to Arthur and Roosevelt too. I grew up thinking I would attend Grant high school but because my family lived on the west side of May ave., I was bused to Capitol Hill. My first year in high school was the year they started busing. Our city was on the national news frequently because of the racial violence. It was a horrible time.
    Truly an awful time. Wasn't it strange that everybody, except a handful of guilty so-n-sos who thought they knew everything, was happy. How dare somebody want to go to a school in their neighborhood. For some reason the education at Northeast and Douglas was supposed to be sub-par. It's odd, everybody I knew that transferred from one of those schools were intimidating when it came to grades. They scored higher than most of us.

Mom and Dad moved to the Putnam City area so my younger brothers and sister wouldn't have to put up with the stupidity of busing. I'd already been sent to a private school (pre-busing).

Prunepicker Guest

Does anybody remember the Western Dip @ 58th & S. Western? It was affectionately called the Grease Pit.

Speaking of the house on 59th and May, anyone remember the hamburger joint just south of that intersection on the west side? I believe it was called Billy's or something. A rather large man seemed to own it. I think it's a Taco Mayo or a donut joint now.

Anyone know the name of that place?

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SweetNSourPoke View Post
    Speaking of the house on 59th and May, anyone remember the hamburger joint just south of that intersection on the west side? I believe it was called Billy's or something. A rather large man seemed to own it. I think it's a Taco Mayo or a donut joint now.

Anyone know the name of that place?
    I don't know the name of it now but there used to be a Tastee Freeze in that spot @ 65-71.

Prunepicker Guest

Somebody mentioned the "caves" as a place they used to go. What in the world were the caves and where were they?

You're thinking of Billie's Tastee Freeze. Ate many a meal there - especially remember their steak sandwiches.

25. Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

I LOVE the OKC Memories thread, and have so enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and memories of our wonderful city!

My husband and I both grew up as "southsiders"...

I graduated high school in 1978 and my husband graduated in 1973 (Christian Heritage Academy and U.S. Grant)
    I also went to CHA and grew up on the southside—all be it at a later time.

Thread Information