Widgets Magazine
Page 14 of 138 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181964114 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Prunepicker Guest

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    Do you also remember the trampolines and the watermelon stand that were in front of the miniture golf / par 3 course?
    OH Yeah! Those trampolines were absolutely dangerous. How in the world did we survive. Cushing, a town in Oklahoma, had the same thing. If you weren't careful you'd stick your leg through one of those webbings and suddenly stop! That is YOU'D stop and the trampoline would continue. It made for some very interesting scenarios. OUCH! comes to mind.

Hey, you should have been at Coney Island today. Those Greeks make a great hot dog. The conversation were really good.

Your loss :0

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hogfan View Post
    Does anyone recall that Jeane Dixon (sp?), the famous psychic, predicted that the Crossroads Mall would collapse shortly after it opened in 1974 or 1975? My mother was telling this story a while back and we didn't believe. She then produced an old copy of the Daily Oklahoman with a story. What a scream!
    She, or some psickic, predicted that the Myriad would also collapse.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    1. WHAT WAS Foreman Scotty's Magic Word? Anybody up for that?
    2. What was 3-D Danny's famous word...?
    3. The name of the Star on Fury?
    4. Do you remember Harry Volkman or Tom Paxton (not Padgham)...?

'PRUNEPICKER"... share some memories about Airline Shopping Center, these kids can't go back that far.
    1. Nix-o-Billy
    2. That escapes me. "Holy Flashback" or something?
    3. Highlander Dale, Mr. Phelps from Mission Impossible, and Joey.
    4. Tom Paxton had the TP show around noon on WKY 4.

The Airline shopping, which I just found out yesterday was the name of the place, was home of the Chieftain Theater. If nothing good was playing in Capitol Hill we'd go there. There was a motel behind the center on the east side, on Dumas Ave (?), where some guys were known to rent a room and drink. There was a fire station across the street.

It seems to me that everything in that center sold broken down junk. There was a Goodwill store, or something like it. Was there a grocery store?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    1. Nix-o-Billy
    2. That escapes me. "Holy Flashback" or something?
    3. Highlander Dale, Mr. Phelps from Mission Impossible, and Joey.
    4. Tom Paxton had the TP show around noon on WKY 4.

The Airline shopping, which I just found out yesterday was the name of the place, was home of the Chieftain Theater. If nothing good was playing in Capitol Hill we'd go there. There was a motel behind the center on the east side, on Dumas Ave (?), where some guys were known to rent a room and drink. There was a fire station across the street.

It seems to me that everything in that center sold broken down junk. There was a Goodwill store, or something like it. Was there a grocery store?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Synchrorectovertor:....you remember now don't you....Where was Bazark?
    3. Peter Graves (James Arness's brother) was the star. Black Diamond was the name of the horse.
    4. Harry Volkman was WKY (KTVY) weatherman during the beginning. Tom Paxton (as noted) had the show that was later Danny's Day (with Mary Hart).

Now, just because you lived in the affluent side of the Southside don't run down Airline. Yes, there were a few drinks taken at the Airline Motel.....Couple of shootings, couple of late night rendezvous, couple of stabbings that shouldn't be held against them. However Airline Shopping Center was one of the best on the southside. Otasco, Veazey Drug, Hardegree bakery,Humpty Dumpty, T.G.&Y., C.R. Anthony, Beck Jewelry (original one), Chieftain and some other late night stores etc.
    i can remember when it used to snow in OKC and we would WALK ( old timey tansportation) two miles there and have a million snow ball fights on the way. Some of those Capitol Hill characters put rocks in the Snowballs. However, do you know how many kids would run from a Snow Ball with a Cherry Bomb in it? We may not have been financially wealthy but, we were resourceful.

See ya next time:....................Still had a good time Saturday...

[QUOTE=Generals64;163985]
    What did Boby Laden and Leroy Deshields do that made them famous names in OKC?

QUOTE]

They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this....

Tidbits

[QUOTE=SoonerGirl26;164029]

QUOTE]

They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this....

Tidbits
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Girl:...you can run with the old guys now. We will excuse your reasons for going to South East. When I was a little boy, I got my picture made with Carl Ferguson after he won the main race. When I was an older young man, I got to know Jude and Carol Northcutt (Carol Shipman). Carol was the trophy girl several times in my younger years and one we were at a party with Jude and Carol and some other people and I told her my dream was to kiss Carol Shipman after a Trphy race. POW:>>>> she kissed me right then.....My wife and everyone just about died laughing as I was not stupified, but, I finally got to kiss Carol Shipman.
    Even though her husband and my wife were in the room.....Not a whole lot og guys my age can say that now. Carol passed away a few years leaving three kids.......Miss her............

Oh Yeah, a friend of mine has some of the OLD Taft Programs. I'll see if I can get some copies before the next Southside outing.

See ya next time...................

I have a old fairgrounds speeway MAR-CAR poster that has a car #69 who was the driver? and there is another car but cannot see the number but the driver is bobby cagle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I tried to answer you yesterday but, Old age set in and something went goofy on the computer. I hated to hear that about Ed Cox...You're right, he was a good guy.
    Now, about your questions
    1. The Drive-In thought you were referring to is located on the south side of 29th east of Penn. The Del Rancho that you are talking about used to be the Hamburger Inn.....
    2. Brotherton's was West of there on the North side of the street I think.
    3. The name escapes me about the Furniture store but, I remember them selling boatloads of Bean Bag Chairs.....
    4. Doughnut guy?....Whew, I sold donuts door to door as a kid...Donuts don't do good to me. Don't know who that was though.
    5. Horton Motors was Warren?......
    6. The Mortorcycle shop (east of Agnew) was the Harley World....You can buy boots there now....

----------------------------------------------------
    Who was the GREAT BOLO?

And, we've got to get next month planned....Where does eveyone want to go?

See Ya next time:.........................
    actually the motorcycle shop was MIKES CYCLES SHOP, he was a friend of peewee`s

Prunepicker Guest

[quote=SoonerGirl26;164029]
    What did Boby Laden and Leroy Deshields do that made them famous names in OKC? They both raced cars at Taft Stadium and later at the Fairgrounds in the 60's. Some of you might enjoy reading this...
    My first memories of Taft Stadium we from the late '50s and going to the stock car races. I never new any of the drivers. Dad would buy a huge bag of peanuts on the way. Loved those races.

Does anybody remember the drag races at the Fairgrounds? That was a big event.

Prunepicker Guest

[quote=Generals64;164034]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post

... Carl Ferguson after he won the main race.
    Correction! I was aware of Carl Ferguson being one of the drivers.

[QUOTE=Generals64;164034]
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Girl:...you can run with the old guys now. We will excuse your reasons for going to South East. When I was a little boy, I got my picture made with Carl Ferguson after he won the main race. When I was an older young man, I got to know Jude and Carol Northcutt (Carol Shipman). Carol was the trophy girl several times in my younger years and one we were at a party with Jude and Carol and some other people and I told her my dream was to kiss Carol Shipman after a Trphy race. POW:>>>> she kissed me right then.....My wife and everyone just about died laughing as I was not stupified, but, I finally got to kiss Carol Shipman.
    Even though her husband and my wife were in the room.....Not a whole lot og guys my age can say that now. Carol passed away a few years leaving three kids.......Miss her............

Oh Yeah, a friend of mine has some of the OLD Taft Programs. I'll see if I can get some copies before the next Southside outing.

See ya next time...................
    I'm not quite your age, but I can say that I have also kissed her. I have a few questions for you.
    1. What big contest did she win?
    2. What was her prize for winning?
    3. Where did she and Jude live (before Ranchwood)?
    4. What was one of Judes hobbies?

I saw one of the Godzilla movies at the Airline somewhere around 68-69?? A friends dad worked at the Otasco on the east end and my cousins lived over on Parkview Terrace. There was also a little store we would walk to on 36th??between Parkview and Goff.

Prunepicker Guest

And, we've got to get next month planned... Where does everyone want to go?
    See Ya next time...
    It has to be on the South side. That's a given.

Coney Island was good for my tightwad budget, although, pulling out nearly $4 for lunch may me feel like a big spender.

Is there a tamale stand with 50 cent tamales? Day old donuts? A grocery store with a good array of free samples?

[QUOTE=andy157;164089]
    I'm not quite your age, but I can say that I have also kissed her. I have a few questions for you.
    1. What big contest did she win?
    2. What was her prize for winning?
    3. Where did she and Jude live (before Ranchwood)?
    4. What was one of Judes hobbies?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Carol won quite a few contests...Mrs. OKlahoma, Miss OKC, man I don't remember all of them. As a favor she helped me at the State Fair in 1965? as Mrs. Oklahoma......
    2. Don't remember the prize............
    3. Which time?............In 1969, my wife and I house sat for them , for two weeks and we kept their youngest son (Dino). Before they got got back Dino had started calling my wife Mama.......That was his first word and Carol and Jude were ecstatic
    and my wife had him walking before they got back....
    4. Jude had and still does have many hobbies. when we see each other at the next outing we'll talk.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Where was Swyden's restaurant????
    2. The guys that own Almonte Center's dad was the man that invented the shopping cart (Sid Goldman) that's what that family was famous for.
    3. Andy, name the automotive store that stayed open 24 hrs. a day/night in Capitol Hill. And, what was the name of the Auto store in Mayridge Shopping center....Also, what was the name of the FIRST grocery store in Mayridge.????

Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No???? Coits Was There When All Of Us Lived On The Southside And, They Are Still There. They Have A Meeting Room And An Array Of Food Other Than Hot Dogs.......remember The "frosted Mug Root Beer"? Still There.

Let's Talk About It:......

See Ya Next Time:...andy Help Me Out On The Carol Answers.

Prunepicker Guest

1. Where was Swyden's restaurant?
    It was on S. May on or about S.W. 40th. We ate there quite a bit. They had an item called Virginia Ham. It wasn't really Virginia ham. It was a ham steak with crushed pineapples.

It either became something else or it was the second restaurant in that place.

Prunepicker Guest

Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No?
    Sounds good to me. I'll start scrounging for pop bottles right now to avoid the rush.

Hey Guys, How About Coit's On S. Western For The Next Outing Say Sept. 26th. Saturday Afternoon 12:30...yes Or No???? Coits Was There When All Of Us Lived On The Southside And, They Are Still There. They Have A Meeting Room And An Array Of Food Other Than Hot Dogs.......remember The "frosted Mug Root Beer"? Still There.

Let's Talk About It:......

See Ya Next Time:...andy Help Me Out On The Carol Answers.
    1. Mrs. Oklahoma is what I remember as her best.
    2. A big pink Caddilac. Maybe a 59 model give or take a year.
    3. S.W. 62nd and Walker (525 S.W. 62nd Terr.)
    4. Flying is the one I remember. He would fly the kids on the block around OKC to look at Christmas lights during the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by andy157 View Post
    1. Mrs. Oklahoma is what I remember as her best.
    2. A big pink Caddilac. Maybe a 59 model give or take a year.
    3. S.W. 62nd and Walker (525 S.W. 62nd Terr.)
    4. Flying is the one I remember. He would fly the kids on the block around OKC to look at Christmas lights during the holidays.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, he still flies but we'll talk more at Coit's. I think I had the date wrong for a Saturday it should be September 27th, 2008 at 12:30. She got the Cadillac, maybe 59 or 60, it was when Elvis was really big. i think it was a year's free use. However, she was Mrs. Oklahoma in the middle sixties. That is when she helped me at the State Fair booth that T.G.& Y. had in the made in Oklahoma building. T.G.&Y. had a promotions director (Hugh Weirsig) and she worked with him in store openings etc.
    Do you remember when Jude and Jody worked for Duke Evans? As well as the Original Mathis Brothers? They would have a Saturday Night show out on Reno and sell furniture and put on quite a gig.........

See ya next time:...........................
    Last edited by Generals64; 08-26-2008 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Prunepicker Guest

I asked this a while back. Does anybody know the name of the dairy that was on 59th about 1959? It might have been around S. Walker but quite possibly farther east. There was a long gravel driveway and a white fence.

OK, all dairies have long gravel driveways and white fences...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yeah, he still flies but we'll talk more at Coit's. I think I had the date wrong for a Saturday it should be September 27th, 2008 at 12:30. She got the Cadillac, maybe 59 or 60, it was when Elvis was really big. i think it was a year's free use. However, she was Mrs. Oklahoma in the middle sixties. That is when she helped me at the State Fair booth that T.G.& Y. had in the made in Oklahoma building. T.G.&Y. had a promotions director (Hugh Weirsig) and she worked with him in store openings etc.
    Do you remember when Jude and Jody worked for Duke Evans? As well as the Original Mathis Brothers? They would have a Saturday Night show out on Reno and sell furniture and put on quite a gig.........

See ya next time:...........................
    Uh oh! almost forgot,big OU fans here, we might miss the one at coits next month. DANGIT!

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Uh oh! almost forgot,big OU fans here, we might miss the one at coits next month. DANGIT!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HEY: The day is not etched in stone.....Nor is the time...someone else pick a time and spot won't bother me.

I don't remember the dairy:.......but, I do remember that around the East side of walker and 59th that was a farm plot even with the big creek going through it.

See ya next time:......................

Prunepicker Guest

I don't remember the dairy... but, I do remember that around the East side of walker and 59th that was a farm plot even with the big creek going through it.
    I'm gigging out of town on the 19th & 20th. What does the 13th look like?

We used to get our milk at that dairy. It was small, maybe that was it. You entered from 59th.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'm gigging out of town on the 19th & 20th. What does the 13th look like?

We used to get our milk at that dairy. It was small, maybe that was it. You entered from 59th.

the 13th might work for folks I found this on the OU inder website.

Sept. 13 @ Washington 6:45 p.m. (ESPN)

Does anyone remember the little store on s.w. 26th and kentucky it had wood floors and a meat market cabinet where he would wrap your meat in white paper?

Thread Information