Widgets Magazine
Page 138 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3888133134135136137138
Results 3,426 to 3,447 of 3447

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

I have never heard of one

ok does anyone remember the area south of resthaven graveyard that had a little area you could stop and plink at prairie dogs from the fence on the side of the road. this was way back in like 1964. this would be open country back then...now covered with subdivisions.

That was a little before my time but we did fish fr night crawlers where the junior college is now

I remember elm tree! Had a great bartender in 1990. Can’t remember his name though.

this is my first time. I'm from southside, mainly gander flats on se 15th where I attended Shidler school from 1960 thru 1965. moved to Capitol Hill area and attended Capitol Hill Junior as well as Senior before dropping out to enlist in Marine Corps, graduating boot camp December 9, 1970. I have so many wonderful memories of my times that I would love to share.

Fatjack,
    Then start sharing them! I was born and raised on S. W 37th a couple of blocks West of Western. Went to McKinley and Rancho Village elementary schools, then Grant high school.
    C. T.

In the early 80s my older sister worked at Kerr McGee and Peaches restaurant on the weekends. I thought that was the coolest place. Had the best Nachos! I think it was on the South Side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowser214 View Post
    In the early 80s my older sister worked at Kerr McGee and Peaches restaurant on the weekends. I thought that was the coolest place. Had the best Nachos! I think it was on the South Side.
    i think peaches was on western just a few blocks south of 59th on the east side of the road. i also think it went by another name in the 80's as well but i can't think of it.

found an old ad from 1980 in the oklahoman... peaches was at 6212 s. western. in 1992, a business named teddy's applied for a liquor license at that address. an advanced auto parts currently sits there and was built in 2016... i think the restaurant building was demolished not long before that.

I frequented Peaches quite a few times back in the day. That, along with Fox & Horn, made for a couple of very nice dining options in that area.

https://okcmod.com/architecture/rip/fox-and-horn/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	McCowan-fox-and-horn-FOK-journal-1024x443-978x422.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	17022

Teddy's was a classic rock centered bar.

Grew up near S.E. 44th & High in the 50s and 60s. Went to Shields Heights elementary and then SE. Graduated in 1964. Pretty much everything south and east of there was farms or oilfields. An adventure when I was in elementary school was to catch the city bus with neighborhood kids and go the drug store (a Rexall I think) at 44th and Shields and get malts and shakes and browse around. Many Saturdays were spent at the Yale theater in Capitol Hill watching serials and matinees. Lot's of tales of being a teenager on the Southside but later.

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    An adventure when I was in elementary school was to catch the city bus with neighborhood kids and go the drug store (a Rexall I think) at 44th and Shields and get malts and shakes and browse around.
    that drugstore was called stewart-wood, wasn't it?

I remember when i was in grade school in the 70s my parents would drive in from Hinton to go eat at Der Dutchman. It was the best! But I don't know if it was on the South side tho.

I remember when i was in grade school in the 70s my parents would drive in from Hinton to go eat at Der Dutchman. It was the best! But I don't know if it was on the South side tho.
    i'm pretty sure there were several around town, but i can think of two of them on the southside. in the 70s the one on the southside would've been near sw 36th & penn. in the 80s, there was also one built on the i-240 frontage road just east of walker. i want to say that there was one somewhere on west reno, but not certain of its location.

the thing i remember the most about der dutchman/zuider zee was their hush puppies... basically small cylinders of dense garlicky/oniony corn bread that were just the right size to cram into those individual butter containers. gulfport seafood on north western used to sell a reasonable facsimile that you could fry yourself, but it's been a few years since i've been there.

YES! Hushpuppies I could make a meal on those alone! Had the lobster tanks in the entry way. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i'm pretty sure there were several around town, but i can think of two of them on the southside. in the 70s the one on the southside would've been near sw 36th & penn. in the 80s, there was also one built on the i-240 frontage road just east of walker. i want to say that there was one somewhere on west reno, but not certain of its location.

the thing i remember the most about der dutchman/zuider zee was their hush puppies... basically small cylinders of dense garlicky/oniony corn bread that were just the right size to cram into those individual butter containers. gulfport seafood on north western used to sell a reasonable facsimile that you could fry yourself, but it's been a few years since i've been there.
    Basically everywhere you see a Henry Hudson's, there was a Der Dutchman at some point, since they started out building them adjacent to their restaurants. There was one on Reno by White Water, I believe there was one over in the NW Exp area by Baptist, and there was one razed (along with a Hudson's and a Burger King) where the Loves corporate campus sits in the Village.

And Teddy's was a great rock and roll bar and the go to spot for karaoke on the Southside back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    Basically everywhere you see a Henry Hudson's, there was a Der Dutchman at some point, since they started out building them adjacent to their restaurants. There was one on Reno by White Water, I believe there was one over in the NW Exp area by Baptist, and there was one razed (along with a Hudson's and a Burger King) where the Loves corporate campus sits in the Village.
    pretty interesting... never realized that. but now that you mention it, i know for a fact that the location on walker had a hudson's next door and i have a vague recollection of the other locations you mentioned. the location on south penn must have been before that arrangement, since i don't remember a hudson's ever being around there.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    pretty interesting... never realized that. but now that you mention it, i know for a fact that the location on walker had a hudson's next door and i have a vague recollection of the other locations you mentioned. the location on south penn must have been before that arrangement, since i don't remember a hudson's ever being around there.
    I believe the Der Dutchman was on the north side of 74th, east of Walker, and then they built a Hudson's in the building which eventually became a Rib Crib. The current Hudsons on the South side of 74th opened around 94-95, and it was much larger.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
    I believe the Der Dutchman was on the north side of 74th, east of Walker, and then they built a Hudson's in the building which eventually became a Rib Crib. The current Hudsons on the South side of 74th opened around 94-95, and it was much larger.
    You're correct about the location.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/20...ks-fish-lovers

After reading that article, someone needs to bring Der Dutchman back to life!

After reading that article, someone needs to bring Der Dutchman back to life!
    in the early 2000's they actually did... it was a place called harbor house on nw 39th west of macarthur. they had many of the same dishes and, of course, the hush puppies. they've been out of business for quite some time now, though. the building is currently occupied by ding asian fusion.

edit: found a link! Harbor House, Bethany, OK (eskimo.com)

Thread Information