Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151661111 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

^
    89th & western, where swadley's is currently... you got it.

-M

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    89th & western, where Swadley's is currently... you got it. - M
    I've eaten at Swadley's a few times because some friends were playing at the N. Rockwell place. Imagine the shock when I found out it was supposed to BBQ.

Georgia and Ron are really nice people and are doing a good job of keeping their business going.

aside - BMI and ASCAP caused them to have to end the live entertainment. A real dirty trick to pull. They wanted them to pay outrageous royalties and yearly fees in order to have free entertainment. It was a good place for amatuers to play in front of a friendly crowd.

Yes, The A&W opened there in the early 70s. Ray Doonkeen was the owner/mgr and his cousin Mario Hernandez was the assistant mgr. I think that is his last name? His grandmother had the Cosina Domina (sp?) Mexican restaurant on SE 29 and Central. He took that over and expanded to several locations then sold out. He now owns/operates the Adobe Grill at NW 50 and Shartel. ( A&W Carhop and Cook '77-'78)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fire121 View Post
    His grandmother had the Cosina Domina (sp?) Mexican restaurant on SE 29 and Central.
    Cocina de Mino. A really good Mexican restaurant. It means My Kitchen or something like that.

Ok here is a few:

pizza planet...56th and penn
    roy rodgers.....59th and blackwelder
    pharmacy next to rudys on 59th may
    jim dandy chicken on may
    croketts bbq on may and 74th
    neptunes, on 44th and penn
    south park theatre on 44th and may
    park terrace theatre on 59th and may
    sound warehouse on 74th and penn
    linda soundtrack...gotta luv her
    humpty dumptys on penn and 44th
    utotem on may avenue
    catfish cabin 29th and may
    miss lavons on penn

and the evil water wiggle!

O.K., Pizza Planet was where we we went in the 60's if we couldn't afford Sussy's.
    Pharmacy (Almonte):...What about Jones Pharm. on 59/Penn
    Humpty Dumpty was on 44th/Western:..Safeway on Penn (Grant Square).
    Catfish Cabin:..O.K., it was a Pancake House, a Steakhouse, Chinese Place, Hamburger Joint, Sandwich/Grille....
    Miss Lavon's on Penn:.....How about Jean's on Penn (oh, you weren't born then)..See Ya next time...And Saturday.........I have a Fanner 50 remember those?

If you don't remember the Fanner 50, I'll bring it Saturday...It's missing the grips but it's still for real:........

when we were kids, there two toys we (My best buddy) and I treasured, One of thos toys was a plastic hot rod that cost 19 cents. My Friend found one at an antique shop. I'll bring it as well a little man (rubber) that came out of the original Fort Apache:................

For real, I still have the Beatles White Album :...CCr, steppenwolf, rolling stones,then a whole bunch of early country/western. They still work too. And for the ladies I gave my mother-in-law (before she passed away '05) a Chatty Cathy I know where it is if anyone wants to walk down that lane:................

See ya next time:..............

Hey:...my mind isn't working too well tonight:....What about the old toys we/you guys used to play with? Any fond memories:.........
    1. '59 Barbie Doll (not me, my sisters) But in my "junk" piles I still have one.
    2. Catseye Marbles
    3. Daisy Red Ryder B-B Gun.
    4. An original Smokey the Bear teddy bear. Pretty rough shape but we conquered many a dark night together.
    5. MTD Models (late 50's)
    6. How about an electric Football Game:...........?
    7. An original Radio Flyer...Wasn't mine...I'm not That old.
    8. Aunt Jemima Doll:...once again Not mine:.........

If you don't realize it, I am a "Junk Collector" of nostalgia:....Was in the Dime store business too long:...........Know where the first T.G.&Y. (as a group) was opened?

See ya next time:............................

ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?

yea your right on safeway got mixfused

My best friends are junk collectors..they always have kewl stuff

ok here is something not everyone remembers

city tittys
    and city camel humps

What was the name of the small A-frame ice cream place on the north side of 59th about Villa? They had a live rock band in the parking lot a couple times.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    ok correct me if I am wrong but wasnt the fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?

yea your right on safeway got mixfused

My best friends are junk collectors..they always have kewl stuff
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NO:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fanner 50 is sacred :.......they (Mattel) quit making them about the time you graduated from highschool. Even then they were hard to find.
    My Oldest son kept his until he could for gas for his car.....Not much nostalgia in him.
    The Fanner Fity had a place to put a roll of caps and you could fan the pistol and it would just keep firing.
    Speaking of caps do you remember the "Rocket Bombs"., You would put a single cap in it, throw it in the air and let it hit on concrete and it would "pop" yeah:...they used to cost 10 cents and the caps were 2 boxes for a nickle.
    How about the plastic coach sets with the cowboys and horses with the stage coach robbers? I was so enthralled with them as a kid that when I started managing my first store I bought 2 or 3 gross of them. My boss got so upset but, it was at Christmas time and the guys my age bought them for their Kids...speaking of nostalgia.....sold them all.........$1.99 each.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My prize possession now is a Colt (yeah a real one) .41 caliber "Thunderer" like John Wesley Hardin and Billy the Kid carried it was made in 1890 and stil has 85% Factory Blue. THE AGE OF A BOY IS BY THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SEE YA NEXT TIME:...............

[QUOTE=Generals64;162021]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NO:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fanner 50 is sacred :.......they (Mattel) quit making them about the time you graduated from highschool. Even then they were hard to find.
    My Oldest son kept his until he could for gas for his car.....Not much nostalgia in him.
    The Fanner Fity had a place to put a roll of caps and you could fan the pistol and it would just keep firing.

OH heck yea I remember that I just forgot what they were called, I bought a many caps at that tg&y on 59th and may.

Even had 2 holsters me and my posee ruled our street, or so we thought at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Wasn't there an A&W at 89th & Western (near the Hobby Lobby store). It's now a Swadley's BBQ?
    A&W closed when they opened the new A&W/Long John's on 74th and Western. Yum brands bought out the franchise license from the family who owned the one on 89th. I remember reading it in the Joklahoman. One of the terms of the agreement is they would allow their employees to move to the new A&W if they wanted a job there.

Prunepicker Guest

ok correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the Fanner the one that you put the bullets together and put the blast cap on the shell?
    The 'Fanner 50' used caps. There were 50 shots on a roll of caps. Mattel had a name for their unusual colored caps. Do you remember the name?

Ok here is a few:

pizza planet...56th and penn
    roy rodgers.....59th and blackwelder
    pharmacy next to rudys on 59th may
    jim dandy chicken on may
    croketts bbq on may and 74th
    neptunes, on 44th and penn
    south park theatre on 44th and may
    park terrace theatre on 59th and may
    sound warehouse on 74th and penn
    linda soundtrack...gotta luv her
    humpty dumptys on penn and 44th
    utotem on may avenue
    catfish cabin 29th and may
    miss lavons o

and the evil water wiggle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    44th/Penn the name of the center is Grant Square. What was the name of the Variety store that was in that center? Jewel Box Florist started in that center. Mrs. Nettle (her son Fred graduated in '64) started the florist shop there.
    Next door there was a hamburger Grille there that in the 8th Grade all the kids used to go there since no one had car we could walk to there."GREASE PIT."
    If you were short a nickle or dime Mrs. Nettle was the banker...she always came through.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was in the5th-9th Grade we used to play in Lightning creek...When there was a big rain, we would jump off the bridge at 44th/Drexel and ride the current to 51/Independence......I'd beat my kids to death if I caught them doing that:.....but, that was what my Dad always said....Never caught us. When it would snow, you guys surely remember when it snowed so hard in OKC, we would ride an old rocking chair down the embankment and would bust ourselves in the face when the chair flipped over:.....thought that was fun?...... Duh .......

Do any of you remember the old Agnew Hardware? He had anything you could need there and it wasn't so very long ago that it closed. How about riding old car hoods on the ice behind a car? you used to learn how to duck though when the car stopped......That was like playing with a loaded gun.....I don't know what were thinking............we weren't we were kids making do with nothing

were they call greenies?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do any of you remember the old Agnew Hardware? He had anything you could need there and it wasn't so very long ago that it closed. How about riding old car hoods on the ice behind a car? you used to learn how to duck though when the car stopped......That was like playing with a loaded gun.....I don't know what were thinking............we weren't we were kids making do with nothing

yes I used to go there all the time when we had our body shop on s.w. 25th and kentucky

Hey, here's one I forgot:...Epperson Photos ....Paul Epperson used to sell Cameras for the 74th st. T.G.&Y...One day he and I were talking about going into business for ourselves......We both did, he still is. One good guy.......but, he was an old southsider.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have read through here about the Twilight Zone? As kids in the early 60's/late 50's we were looking for places like that. What originally got us going over there was the Nudity we could see through the big plate glass windows....Boys will be boys...then we would try to embarrass the girls that were with us. This was the beginning of the "Hippy" "Free Love" days. Then about two years ago we had some friends that wanted to see what everyone was talking about so we went in the daylight and sure enough there were some "OLD" chicks sunbathing Naked....It wasn't as exciting as when we were kids....they didn't look as good as they did back then and my wife was rolling in the floor of the car laughing at me when she saw the look of disappointment on my face. Old men still dream (Don't they?) come on you guys, help me out here.

Why did we buy madras shirts? They faded, the fell apart, they HAD to be starched to look good and then the girls would tear the loop off the back. Not much of that made sense did it? How about Wheat Jeans? They had to be starch and ironed and then they would be wrinkled completely by the time you got to school And we thought we were looking good...Only to see the real jocks have their mommies bring them another shirt.

How about the Prom? One guy taped his mothers douche bag to his arm in order to bring Jack Daniels into the dance. Tasted horrible, don't know if he remembered to wash it out.....Then where did you pin the corsage without the girl's date bringing out a shotgun?......Looked cool though....Then we always ended up in Cattlemen's my girl/now wife always ordered the rig eye $4.99 and I got the pan fried steak...$3.99 and we were sitting on top of the world. My wife's were friends with Gene and Percy Wade so we always had a good table? It was there I told me wife I loved her.......still together 45 years...she still looks like she did in highschool....me to....just a few more pounds however. My levi's still fit theyre just another size. How about buck horn jeans from Langston's...Cheaper but a whole lot better than overalls. Did that fashion statement in the third grade
    wasn't really appreciated. Then the "Boogie" haircut...my dad said NO...no way...no f.......way. so, I waited until he went out of town (drove a truck) got my haircut (Boogie style) and would you know it, he came home early. Got to get MY MONEY out and have mr. Raulston give me an army cut...Didn't try my dad again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    kawasaki, kawasaki:..........what was the rest? Where was it located and who owned it?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember Murcer's Jewelry store:....I still have on the ring my wife put on my finger 43 years ago (can't get it off...tooo fat)....she paid 19.99 for awhite gold band. After a few years, I took my class ring and had it melted down and took the diamonds and had her a new wedding ring made me look like a hero....Then I got a 3 1/2 diamond in a trade and had that made into the one she wears now. But, mr murcer started it all...........1965...........what a year....we were married in June of '66....bought anew house in June of'67.....then we couldn't find it for a couple of days. It was back on s.w.85th and Villa.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. Does anyone remember Brock Park? How many pools were there?.....
    2. Remind me Saturday about the shootin at Grant in the sixties...guy died...Big Fight.
    3. Does anyone remember Emory Ashpaugh? Built the most exotic 55 chevy in OKC...went to Grant and was envied by everyone {even teachers}. He a bunch of
    guys his junior year and too much beer and too much nervr he dove off the Falls at turner Falls. pushed his neck in and almost killed himself:...confined to a wheelchair until he just recently passed away.

4. Bobby Atherton: The girls swoon over him (really it was his purple lowered 51 Chevy)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Connie Hahn:...cha...cha...cha..............Janice Treichler:........Cha-cha-cha:......
    I'm not that old..... woohoo.....
    What were the girls required for initiation to the Pep Squad?............
    Where were the autograph pencils tied for the "O" club initiation?

1. do you remember the Bread Man?
    2. The Milk Man?
    3. Door to Door donut salesman?
    4. Door to door insurance salesman? collected 11 cents a week.
    5. How Mr. Nixon the independent Garbage man?
    6. How about the people that would turn their living rooms into a small grocery store. One on every block......
    7. When Oklahoma was reinstating beer and liquor Coors shipped 6 trailer load of
    the wrongcontent (6.2) beer in so, they had to destroy it. My Grandfather ran the dump on Portland. He called my dad and told him to get everything and everyone that could haul or carry before the dozer arrived. They brought 16' flat bed trailers, pick-up trucks, cars and wagons back. Lotsa beer was consumed that year........
    8. Need to find out where and why the time capsule was never dug up at Grant? I know '64 '65 '66 had them out there in front of the office........
    9. Remember the HOWDY dances????????
    10.how about sliding down the hall in front of the boiler. then the two swats later......
    11. What happened to the Home ec rooms:..we got to sample the food somes times we HAD to sample the food. The Science table are still alive...my wife has them in her classroom...also, I got Mrs. carters Precious WORLD GLOBE..........
    12. HOW MR. KNORR? I think my still has a crush on him.....Until she saw his wife.
    13. How about Al Fuller (passed away recently);....Thought he was a sissy but he wasn't. His first wife was a girl that graduated in '64......

HOW ABOUT "FROG" THOMPSON???????????? THERE'S ONE TO DRAW TOO.

SEE YA NEXT TIME.............

SEE YA NEXT TIME

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    44th/Penn the name of the center is Grant Square. What was the name of the Variety store that was in that center?
    I'm not sure but when I was at Grant we'd go to Woolworth's for lunch. You could get a hot dog, fries and a coke for about 40 cents.

Remember the chili cheese burger at Penn 44?

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I'm not sure but when I was at Grant we'd go to Woolworth's for lunch. You could get a hot dog, fries and a coke for about 40 cents.

Remember the chili cheese burger at Penn 44?
    You're right on Woolworth's. It stayed until T.G.&Y. bought them out. Yes, I remember the Chzbrgr.........Also, the pin Ball machines...I always wondered how long that great big tree out on penn would last.

Penn 44 also had one of the first "racecar" video games. It didn't use a CRT video screen.

Does anyone remember the go-karts they had behind the gas station about SW 46th on the east side of Penn?

How about the drive-thru Nuway dry cleaners (8-hour service) at SW44 and Penn?

What was the name of the game room just north of Across The Street in the same strip shopping center? They were one of the last places to have 10-cent pinball machines.

^
    i don't remember those go-carts, but that does remind me of malibu grand prix that was off of i-35... it was on the east side, but i can't remember the exact cross street.

-M

Is there still a place called Neptune Subs somewhere in that same part of town, or is it long gone?

I visited my grandparents recently and told them about this thread. They got a huge kick out of hearing about Across the Street, they said they used to go there all the time and had completely forgotten all about it.

Thread Information