Widgets Magazine
Page 103 of 138 FirstFirst ... 3539899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 3447

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Both of you are pretty close...the building is still a "Dive" but it's in Spanish...
    Cove

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by TeriOKC View Post
    Rickster:

The houses you're thinking of are still there, but they sit on the corners of SW 53rd and 52nd and May, respectively.
    Thanks Teri, I know which houses you mention but those aren't the ones I'm talking about. I'm talking about the same location Prunepicker and Generals64 talked about (NE corner of 59th & May). They mention one house but I seem to remember when there were two or maybe I'm dreaming. LOL

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Thanks Teri, I know which houses you mention but those aren't the ones I'm
    talking about. I'm talking about the same location Prunepicker and Generals64
    talked about (NE corner of 59th & May). They mention one house but I seem
    to remember when there were two or maybe I'm dreaming. LOL
    There was only 1 that I remember in 1959.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    There was only 1 that I remember in 1959.
    ================================================== ===========
    There were two for a while....One of the two however stayed there for years...It had better than a 12 x 12 pitch on the architecture of the rood line and had a dark brown brick Facade.....

There were two for a while....One of the two however stayed there for years...It had better than a 12 x 12 pitch on the architecture of the rood line and had a dark brown brick Facade.....
    Sounds like you were casing the joint.....

I haven't been around lately, I've been sick, but reading these posts, I had forgotten about Jim's IGA. I grew up on S.W. 37th between May and Independence, Woodson Park etc. I remember when it was a golf course. When I was in junior high, I had a girl friend that lived east of May and south of 44th. We would meet at the drug store in the shopping center (can't remember it's name). Used to walk through Rorland's farm to get there, went to grade, junior high and high school with Linda. I had a crush on a Teri, that I went to junior high and high school with, I wonder if TERIOKC is the same girl. LOL!!! Has anyone ever wonder what happened to the girls (for the females, the boys) that you liked in school. I married my high school sweet heart that I met when I was a junior. I worked on the northside, she went to Northwest and I went to Capitol Hill. We were married for 26 years, before her passing, had 3 kids and I'm soon to be a first time grand parent. I used to go to the movies at the theatre in the Airline Shopping center. My mother worked at the Humpty's there. Anyway, I enjoy reading these posts. I haven't been on the southside for quite a while now. Maybe someday I'll get back over there.

Quote Originally Posted by TOWNHERO View Post
    I haven't been around lately, I've been sick, but reading these posts, I had forgotten about Jim's IGA. I grew up on S.W. 37th between May and Independence, Woodson Park etc. I remember when it was a golf course. When I was in junior high, I had a girl friend that lived east of May and south of 44th. We would meet at the drug store in the shopping center (can't remember it's name). Used to walk through Rorland's farm to get there, went to grade, junior high and high school with Linda. I had a crush on a Teri, that I went to junior high and high school with, I wonder if TERIOKC is the same girl. LOL!!! Has anyone ever wonder what happened to the girls (for the females, the boys) that you liked in school. I married my high school sweet heart that I met when I was a junior. I worked on the northside, she went to Northwest and I went to Capitol Hill. We were married for 26 years, before her passing, had 3 kids and I'm soon to be a first time grand parent. I used to go to the movies at the theatre in the Airline Shopping center. My mother worked at the Humpty's there. Anyway, I enjoy reading these posts. I haven't been on the southside for quite a while now. Maybe someday I'll get back over there.
    Glad to see ya back, been wonderin where ya been.

Welcome back!!

Hey, come to the next meeting (sec. 19th, 2009 at Coit's 1:30 P.M.) we'll disinfect you when you cross the Rivwer (going south of course). The name of that Drug Store was Shaw drug....The Theater was The Chieftain. And yes, I've wonder about a couple of the girls I went with (or thought I did) but, like you I married one and stuck with her (43 years and counting)....Where did you go to Jr. High????

2,500 replies.....52,000 views and 103 pages long.....It seems as though the memories of the Southside Gang is still going strong.....hopefully some of the younger group will dig deep and bring out other memories of their childhood.
    I remember seeing the kids (mine included) would gather up their cold clothes and slide down the hills of the Interstate when there would be a small Snowstorm....When we were kids (50's & 60's) we had home made sleds, some had mfg. sleds...We used car hoods (that was fun) even tried riding our bicycles in the snow....However, we didn't have cell phones, video games and the rest of today's mind teasers....We actually sat down and read a book sometimes....Television was sparse to say the least but we enjoyed this time of year so much.
    Do the kids of today go Crawdad fishin'??? how about sleeping outside in the Spring time and in the Summer?....Just in the Back yard....not talking about the open fields (that are now housing developments).....do the kids ever pick Sand Plums in the wild or do they know about them?....Anybody out there ever actually play "Kick the Can"?....Oh well, the Southsiders did and boy did we have fun......I'm sure Pennyquilts and her group were guilty of some of these things though.....

2,500 replies.....52,000 views and 103 pages long.....It seems as though the memories of the Southside Gang is still going strong.....hopefully some of the younger group will dig deep and bring out other memories of their childhood.
    I remember seeing the kids (mine included) would gather up their cold clothes and slide down the hills of the Interstate when there would be a small Snowstorm....When we were kids (50's & 60's) we had home made sleds, some had mfg. sleds...We used car hoods (that was fun) even tried riding our bicycles in the snow....However, we didn't have cell phones, video games and the rest of today's mind teasers....We actually sat down and read a book sometimes....Television was sparse to say the least but we enjoyed this time of year so much.
    Do the kids of today go Crawdad fishin'??? how about sleeping outside in the Spring time and in the Summer?....Just in the Back yard....not talking about the open fields (that are now housing developments).....do the kids ever pick Sand Plums in the wild or do they know about them?....Anybody out there ever actually play "Kick the Can"?....Oh well, the Southsiders did and boy did we have fun......I'm sure Pennyquilts and her group were guilty of some of these things though.....
    I doubt there are many kids nowadays that know what a crawdad is. There use to be a couple of crawdad ponds on the west side of May around 63rd (near where Prunepicker lived). We used strings tied onto bacon. They seemed to like that. I was wading one of those ponds bare footed once when I nearly cut off a pinky toe stepping on something. And yes, we used to sleep outside occasionally during the summer. Used to have a great time.

For me those were truely the good ole days.

Of course I slept outside. I am one of the reasons the city put a curfew on the city parks!

I'm new to forum and it's fantastic! Only had time to read a couple of pages and it's really stirred up the brain cobwebs. Including memories of Al 'N Dubs, Hollie's, The Spot, Reding and many, many more. How about the watermelon stand on the SE corner of 44th & Western (before Arlan's)? Served ice cold on wooden picnic tables, no utensils - they washed ya' down with a water hose when you were through. And also, a tiny diner on SW 29th (maybe 3300 block?) that served a shrimp basket for 50 cents? It was the biggest butterfly shrimp ever prepared in the same deep fryer as the shoestring potatoes by a lady named Queenie who cooked, served and I think owned the place.

Remember to send TERIOKC a reminder that it is this Saturday that the meeting at Coit's is on. 1:30 p.m. COIT'S 24TH AND S.WESTERN. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.....SEE YA LATER ALLIGATOR......AFTER WHILE CROCODILE.... I gotta get a real job......
    DON'T GET TOUGH POWDER PUFF..... GOOD-BYE......GENERALS64...."WHERE IS REDSKINS/GENERAL WHEN I NEED HIM?"

Was there a dairy boy on the southside, I cannot recall one?

I remember the watermelon stand on 44th and Western, Steve Hunt's dad owned it. We (myself and about 12 other guys) had a racetrack behind it where we raced our motorcycles. Also had one on 66th and Santa Fe across from Webster. Wasn't there a Burger Chef restaurant on 59th just east of Southwestern Plaza? It's where Sherri's Diner is now I think. Wish I had a dollar for every time I cruised between McDonald's on 59th and Penn, and Kip's on 59th and Western....I could retire! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Was there a dairy boy on the southside, I cannot recall one?
    I think the one across from Coutry Club Drive-In was a Tastee Freeze....I know there is a Dairy Boy (For Sale) in Lexington.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bORnot2b View Post
    I'm new to forum and it's fantastic! Only had time to read a couple of pages and it's really stirred up the brain cobwebs. Including memories of Al 'N Dubs, Hollie's, The Spot, Reding and many, many more. How about the watermelon stand on the SE corner of 44th & Western (before Arlan's)? Served ice cold on wooden picnic tables, no utensils - they washed ya' down with a water hose when you were through. And also, a tiny diner on SW 29th (maybe 3300 block?) that served a shrimp basket for 50 cents? It was the biggest butterfly shrimp ever prepared in the same deep fryer as the shoestring potatoes by a lady named Queenie who cooked, served and I think owned the place.
    Good to see you on 2b. Reading gen64 post reminded me that I didn't tell you that we meet at Coit's once a month. Although I've missed the last two I intend to make this one.

Good to see you on 2b. Reading gen64 post reminded me that I didn't tell you that we meet at Coit's once a month. Although I've missed the last two I intend to make this one.
    ================================================== ==========
    You realize that without you our only security at the meetings is Prunepicker and he's never on time.....wait till you see the Christmas Gift I got him...the wrapping is tremendous (did it myself).....

================================================== ==========
    You realize that without you our only security at the meetings is Prunepicker and he's never on time.....wait till you see the Christmas Gift I got him...the wrapping is tremendous (did it myself).....
    2beornot2b is a friend of mine. She graduated at a school, let's just say south of Grant. But she went to Jackson JH when I did. She is a true southsider so be nice to her.

2beornot2b is a friend of mine. She graduated at a school, let's just say south of Grant. But she went to Jackson JH when I did. She is a true southsider so be nice to her.
    ================================================== ============
    Get outta here....you've got a friend????? O.K. then, if she is a Southsider we'll let her slide....She has to come to the meeting and go through the initiation...Right???? All kidding aside Welcome 2beornot2b....

Quote Originally Posted by Crash24OU View Post
    I remember the watermelon stand on 44th and Western, Steve Hunt's dad owned it. We (myself and about 12 other guys) had a racetrack behind it where we raced our motorcycles. Also had one on 66th and Santa Fe across from Webster. Wasn't there a Burger Chef restaurant on 59th just east of Southwestern Plaza? It's where Sherri's Diner is now I think. Wish I had a dollar for every time I cruised between McDonald's on 59th and Penn, and Kip's on 59th and Western....I could retire! LOL
    Hey Crash24OU, glad to see you on here!! You other guys be nice to him, he is a SE Spartan that me and "bowtieguy" recruited to get on this forum and hopefully come to Coit's on Saturday!

I'm planning on being there!!

~~

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Hey Crash24OU, glad to see you on here!! You other guys be nice to him, he is a SE Spartan that me and "bowtieguy" recruited to get on this forum and hopefully come to Coit's on Saturday!

I'm planning on being there!!

~~
    Hello again.....thought maybe you got mad....just kidding....glad to see you back now some class is back in the thread.....maybe 4th but that's O.K......

Hello again.....thought maybe you got mad....just kidding....glad to see you back now some class is back in the thread.....maybe 4th but that's O.K......
    Gen64...I've just been busy... you know me! But I was there last month and you weren't. But I hear that you had a very good reason for missing. OUCH!

~~~

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Gen64...I've just been busy... you know me! But I was there last month and you weren't. But I hear that you had a very good reason for missing. OUCH!

~~~
    ================================================== ==============
    You gotta be there this one...I have Prunepicker a Christmas Present he can't wait to open......Black Friday Special at the TA Truck Stop.......I fought the crowd and the Lot Lizards for this one.....

Thread Information