Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 138 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

Default Re: Southside OKC Memories....anyone?

I will also try to make it to the get-together. I have hundreds of "Southside" stories and memories, but I type to slow to put them in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Generals64 View Post
    [B]EVERYBODY ON THIS THREAD TAKE NOTICE:A WEEK FROM THIS COMING SATURDAY AT 12;30 let's all meet at the coney island in capitol Hill. Pay for your own meal but the memories you hear wil be priceless (or worthless), everyone tht\at can and will let me know so we can get the place set-up. I know, you're busy on saturday....but, you still eat lunch and guys be a cheap date......

EVERYONE READING THIS IS WELCOME TO BE THERE

let me know:...........see ya next time
    Sorry I can't be there, going to be out of town that weekend. But it does sound like a fun time. I just had my 40-year class reunion in June (SE class of '68) and have been on a nostalgic roll ever since!! Sounds like there are a lot of Grant grads in this thread. Any SE grads on here?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGirl26 View Post
    Sorry I can't be there, going to be out of town that weekend. But it does sound like a fun time. I just had my 40-year class reunion in June (SE class of '68) and have been on a nostalgic roll ever since!! Sounds like there are a lot of Grant grads in this thread. Any SE grads on here?
    First of all why would anyone admit going to S.E.? (Just kidding)...You will be sorely missed as there will be some 67-68 Grant people there (supposed to be). I am proud to say that I knew Bobby and Kay Murcer as well as their parents and brothers DeWayne and Randy. My prayers will always be with them. Bobby was a good guy.....Se ya next time............

First of all why would anyone admit going to S.E.? (Just kidding)...You will be sorely missed as there will be some 67-68 Grant people there (supposed to be). I am proud to say that I knew Bobby and Kay Murcer as well as their parents and brothers DeWayne and Randy. My prayers will always be with them. Bobby was a good guy.....Se ya next time............
    Gee, just like a Grant General...never giving up!! The rival still continues!!

Yes, I knew Bobby and Kay very well too. Kay's sister and I were cheerleaders at SE together and remain good friends today. Bobby's memorial service last week was very nice...a great tribute to him. You do have to admit that SE produced some really good athletes in it's day.

HEY, THE OWNER OF THE BARBER SHOP IS EITHER eNGLISH OR eNGLAND AND AFTER HE DIED, HIS WIFE TOOK OVER AND SHE IS STILL IN BUSINESS ON 44TH & MAY.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. WHERE WAS JIMMY DEAN'S RESTAURANT?
    2. THE ORIGINAL NAME OF THE COUNTRY CLUB ON SOUTHSIDE?
    3. THE ORIGINAL OWNERS OF ALMONTE (Al and Monte Goldman) what is their family most famous for???????

see ya next time:..............

Don't know if some of these have been mentioned:

• McHenry's Restaurant near 59th and Western
    • The candy counter inside Sear's at 44th and Western was a favorite
    • Farrell's at Crossroads Mall
    • We used to eat at Del Rancho on 44th and Penn all the time
    • Stubbs Sporting Goods on Penn
    • The Lion's Share at 44th and Penn (was almost the same exact thing as Across the Street)
    • Longnecker's that was in the old Sirloin Stockade on 74th
    • August Moon on 74th and Penn
    • Big Ed's Hamburgers at 89th and Western (now it's a Chelino's)
    • Jim Dandy's Chicken 74th and Western (now a KFC)
    • Who could forget Harrigan's on 74th...no comparison between it and the northside one
    • Streets on 44th and Penn

1. Remember McHenry's....Candy has been mentioned several times
    2. Don't remember Farrell's...DelRancho was a good one
    3. Longnecker's...got confused with Fuddrucker's (same Hamburger joint)
    4. August Moon...Isn't it still there? Big Ed's southside ..Ed used to hang out there.
    5. Stubb's Sptg. goods....Nick Stubbs was a '64 graduate of Grant...Went through jr. and sr. high school with him and his wife.
    6, Harrigan's R.I.P.:..would kill for their sirloin soup.....

Prunepicker Guest

2. THE ORIGINAL NAME OF THE COUNTRY CLUB ON SOUTHSIDE?

2. Hillcrest Country Club We were members in the '60's. Buster let us fish in the ponds and pick up balls on the driving range for money.

More memories....

1. Robert Hall's - 55th & S. Western - used to buy prom dresses there
    2. Kinney shoe store on S. Western - store is long gone, but last time I checked the huge sign outside was still there
    3. When the "new luxury" apartments were built on 74th.....Grecian Gardens, Gardens of Madrid....and one more I can't remember the name of. ???
    4. A&W's with those little plastic animals they put on your cup
    5. Cloud 9 - a little coke place at 52 & Shields
    6. Spartan's Drive-In next to SE high school.
    7. 77 Drive-in movies "way out" out on Shields
    8. Dancing on Ronnie Kaye's "The Scene" on Saturday mornings.
    9. Sussy's Pizza at 24th & Robinson
    10. Capitol Hill Hospital - is the building still there?
    11. Senior pictures taken at John A. Brown's
    12. Tiny hamburger place at 26 & Walker....like a little trailer...it's still there.
    13. Peyton-Marcus store on 25th
    14. George Turner grocery store at 53 & Byers
    15. Murcer's Jewelry inside the big TG&Y store
    16. Mr. Gatti's on SW 59

And remember from the 60's....
    a. When we wore "drops" from our boyfriends
    b. Dr. Kildare and Ben Casey shirts
    c. Twiggy dresses
    d. Weejuns penny loafers
    e. Pulling the "loops" off of the back of guys shirts
    f. Chinese jump ropes made with rubber bands
    g. Gum wrapper chains
    h. And I dare say....anyone remember the "wob"??????

Wow! This thread is causing my brain to go into remembrance overload. I had forgotten how good the times were back then.

Like Bob Hope used to say, "Thanks for the memories."

Hey, What Happened?

1. Atlantic Mills was located on 29th & May where Grider's is now, Spartan's store
    was across from the Fair Ground...They merged spartan/Atlantic.
    2. Boy Scout Jamboree was held at the old Stockyards Coliseum along with the
    boy/Cub Scout Circus.
    3. Boxing championships were held in the Big Building in the Public Market.
    4. First McDonald's in OKC was on twenty-ninth on the south side east of the
    Economy Square shopping center.
    5. Besides Shepard Mall, there was a inside mall in Capitol Hill...On the south side of
    25th street next to the Knob Hill Theater. To you kids, that movie theater is now
    home of the Oklahoma Opry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....

You guys are making me hungry. Anyone else remember those rolls at Harrigan's? Mmmmm.

I was just a kid at the time but I have a vague memory of a restaurant shaped like a windmill on I-240. I think it may have been called Zeider Zee?

I miss the old A&W on... I think it was 89th.

Wasn't there a Diary Queen around 59th and May at one point?

I have a very vague memory of when Capitol Hill was still in its hey day. I remember my parents taking me down there and I can vividly remember the flower shop that was down there... I remember the smell of roses and the cold, cold refrigerated air from the place. I also seem to remember window shopping... clothing stores, meat markets, etc.

Okay, can someone help me out with something. When I was really little I remember my parents driving "way up" May Ave. to the original Grider's and on the way back home we would always pass this neon sign that had motion to it of a kangaroo hopping over something. Maybe a lock? Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Anyone else remember looking for "the KTOK diamond" in Early Wine Park?

Oh wow that makes me think of Captain Perdue in Red Rover, over. Now that's something I haven't thought of in years.

Ok yall are bringing back some memories again, and it is all SOONERGIRL26 fault.

1.the plastic animals on the sonic cups and I had those things lined up like a small circus on my sunvisors and winshield trim.
    2.the McDonald straw chains you made by whittling them with your teeth into a big slinky type curls.
    3.the baby a&w mugs everyone snuck off with.(of course I never did)
    4.driving out of sonic with the metal tray still hung on the outside of the car window (thought everyone was waving at me..not the tray)
    5.Rushing to get the new ....EAGLES HOTEL CALIFORNIA 8 TRACK TAPE.
    6. THE TRUST HOUSE JEWELERS and the ALAN MERRILL comercial....(thats when you knew you were sneeking in late from a date)
    7.And MARK SPITZ was king

GO U.S.A.!!!!!!!

Just remembered few other little things, remember when you got your class ring you had to wear it to where you could read it during your junior year and you turned it so everyone could read it during the senior year.

then groups were divided inside grant you were either a DOPER, GOAT ROPER,PREPPY,JOCKS OR EINSTEIN.

PEP ASSEMBLYS those were something else.

Soonergirl, since you went to Southeast. Do you remember the Spartan getting painted Green when you naw:...........you're not that old.........Show you how smart kids are, a bunch of the football players, cheerleaders etc. painted you spartan, threw SIGNED bulletins all over South east. Of course, being signed meant getting caught......The only first string player that didn't go was the only one allowed to play that friday night....You guys beat us pitifully (54-6).....so, don't brag about painting Grant's cannon....It didn't show until spring of 1965.

Have a good time when you are not there to protect your school at the Coney Island..............see ya next time....
    You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Just remembered few other little things, remember when you got your class ring you had to wear it to where you could read it during your junior year and you turned it so everyone could read it during the senior year.

then groups were divided inside grant you were either a DOPER, GOAT ROPER,PREPPY,JOCKS OR EINSTEIN.

PEP ASSEMBLYS those were something else.
    I remember that we called the northsiders "Silkies"...and they called us "Greasers".

Did you guys walk the halls before school? We would get to school early and walk down the hall, turn around and walk back....we did that back and forth (like a parade) until the bell rang for us to go to class. Was that just a SE thing?

During my days in high school.....SE's hangout was the Del Rancho on 59th; Capitol Hill's was The Spot on Western; and Grant's was the Triple A on 59th (the A frame building next to Kenny Skaggs). We would drive from one to the other all night long.

I remember that we called the northsiders "Silkies"...and they called us "Greasers".

Did you guys walk the halls before school? We would get to school early and walk down the hall, turn around and walk back....we did that back and forth (like a parade) until the bell rang for us to go to class. Was that just a SE thing?

During my days in high school.....SE's hangout was the Del Rancho on 59th; Capitol Hill's was The Spot on Western; and Grant's was the Triple A on 59th (the A frame building next to Kenny Skaggs). We would drive from one to the other all night long.
    I- am sure there was a few that got there early,not me I gort there as late as possible haha. Now between classes yea we all would get together in the halls.

Yea we cruised 59th between penn and down to sonic and then back again, I am sure I have a cowpath down there I can call my very own.That just brought back a weird memory that you mentioned that, I had this bright yellow pickup with a roll bar in the back and these big round fog lights on it.I turned them suckers on going down 59th and I am sure they blinded everyone! yup the cops pulled me over and said shut those things off now!! So i bought some yellow padded "KC" for light covers in the shape of a smily face and turned them back on and drove like that. Sure was funny to see those 2 smiley faces coming at ya (did not last long covers melted grrr)

Prunepicker Guest

More memories....

12. Tiny hamburger place at 26 & Walker....like a little trailer...it's still there.

And remember from the 60's...

c. Twiggy dresses
    h. And I dare say... anyone remember the "wob?"
    12. Would that have been Cherry's? There were several around town what were made from train cars.

c. Who was skinny enough to wear one?

h. I remember it but never really new what it meant.

Remember when High School had "Smoking Areas"....
    I didn't smoke, but I hung out with people who did...We would be outside Freezing our Butts off...I finally got to where I would hang out in the library in the ams before class as I was freezing my butt off trying to act cool when I didn't even smoke...

And me...I wasn't a preppy, jock, doper, nerd,goat roper.... I wasn't anything...how sad is that...no label at all...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    You guys are making me hungry. Anyone else remember those rolls at Harrigan's? Mmmmm.

I was just a kid at the time but I have a vague memory of a restaurant shaped like a windmill on I-240. I think it may have been called Zeider Zee?

I have a very vague memory of when Capitol Hill was still in its hey day. I remember my parents taking me down there and I can vividly remember the flower shop that was down there... I remember the smell of roses and the cold, cold refrigerated air from the place. I also seem to remember window shopping... clothing stores, meat markets, etc.

Okay, can someone help me out with something. When I was really little I remember my parents driving "way up" May Ave. to the original Grider's and on the way back home we would always pass this neon sign that had motion to it of a kangaroo hopping over something. Maybe a lock? Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Anyone else remember looking for "the KTOK diamond" in Early Wine Park?

Oh wow that makes me think of Captain Perdue in Red Rover, over. Now that's something I haven't thought of in years.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    1. Yes on Zieder Zee. I think it's an animal hospital now.
    2. That sign was a Mac's Sign co. Go to N 21st and Eastern in Moore and the sign is there under Hop 'N Lok.

See Ya next time.

You probably forgot that SE was a Jr.-Sr. High back then. I went to SE from 7th grade thru 12th. We beat Grant 54-6 in the fall of 1963...my 8th grade year. Bobby Murcer scored 3 of those touchdowns. No, I won't be there to protect my school next Saturday, so don't talk about us too much!! You'll have to schedule another one.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same Game:....boy, you are old:..........Your team also Broke Jerry Pitts leg....another hero bit the dust.

By the way, I guess Grant painted the Spartan before you guys painted the cannon?.....My wife graduated from Grant in '66 and the people she knew from S.E. always bragged about painting Grant's cannon before anyone else......

Have fun on your trip:................see ya next time:...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    12. Would that have been Cherry's? There were several around town what were made from train cars.

c. Who was skinny enough to wear one?

h. I remember it but never really new what it meant.

That might have been Cherry's...not for sure....I really remember it when I was in grade school at Lee...so that might have been in the early 60's.

I was skinny enough back then...only weighed 95 pounds my senior year. Yikes!

You are like the rest of us....everyone remembers the "wob" but no one knows what it meant or who started it. Crazy!!

Some of you mentioned the "Across the Street" restaurant at 59th & Agnew. I have a funny story about it.....

When it first opened we went there after football games. One night my mom needed to get a hold of me and since it was new my mom called directory assitance to get their number. Here's how the dialog went......

Mom: I need the number for Across the Street.
    Operator: What is the name?
    Mom: Across the Street.
    Operator (in a huffy voice): Ma'am, if you don't know who lives across the street I can't look up their number for you.

The Operator then hung up on my mom.

We laughed about that for years!!

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post

Harrigan's cheese rolls, oh yeah!

I'm not sure about an A&W on S.W. 89th but there was one just south of S.W. 59th on S. Western.

The Dairy Queen was near S.W. 50th & S. May on the west side of the street.

Billie's Tastee Freeze was on S.W. 59th & S. May.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post

I'm not sure about an A&W on S.W. 89th but there was one just south of S.W. 59th on S. Western.

Wasn't there an A&W at 89th & Western (near the Hobby Lobby store). It's now a Swadley's BBQ?

Thread Information