Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 23456789101156 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Curve

Default Re: Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Honestly, that's the one thing I don't like about Classen Curve. I know it would face a cemetery, but I think facing inward promotes car culture and not much else. Facing inward hides the businesses and requires extra signage to promote business...
    in this case, whether it faces inward or outward, you'll still need a car to get there. . . .walkability not an issue.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by foodiefan View Post
    ... in this case, whether it faces inward or outward, you'll still need a car to
    get there... walkability not an issue.
    Walkibility is a great word. Did you coin, that is, make it up?

At any rate, trying to cross the (Anton) Classen curve is taking your life
    into your own hands. I suggest using a tank.

walkability is a common term and a new urbanist buzz word

I drove by the other day and saw a lot of the black brick up windows in.

Metro, when you were around town taking pictures did you not get any shots of this?

No, as my last shots were only downtown. I will take some next time I'm over that way in the next few days.

Anyone know who is doing the leasing for Classen Curve? I think it'd be a good article for Lackmeyer to follow up with and see what, if any, tenants are coming in. I know there were a lot of upscale tenants rumored, but that was before the financial crisis. Time to play citizen journalist or get Lackmeyer to do a piece.

shoptheclassencurve.com/

Has anyone seen this? Found it on yahoo, when I typed in classen Curve, nothing showing, future site?

8. Default Re: Classen Curve

LOL I thought it said "STOPtheclassencurve". People have to protest everything these days.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

LOL, well that neighborhood behind the classencurve, did do some protest. But I think they just got over it.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    looks promising. Does anyone know if construction has started?

12. Default Re: Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by bbhill View Post
    looks promising. Does anyone know if construction has started?
    It's 3/4 of the way complete.

13. Default Re: Classen Curve

I like the logo a lot.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I did just "hear" that a WHOLE FOODS is coming to The Curve. Does anyone know if this a rumor or truth?

Not sure on the Whole Foods but I do know there is a major tenant announcement planned in the next 30 days so stay tuned. You can also check out some updated project pics I snapped last week on www.okcreview.com.

Your pics were just great! Thanks for sharing. We'll just have to wait for the announcement. Sure hope it's WHOLE FOODS...but now I hear that is going where Hahn Cook was on Grand Blvd.

17. Default Re: Classen Curve

The largest contiguous space in Classen Curve is "Building M" at 14,000 Square feet. Based on Whole Food's quarterly reports, average new store size runs 50,000 sq ft+ and even the ancient stores average 27k so I doubt a Whole Foods is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by carolace View Post
    I did just "hear" that a WHOLE FOODS is coming to The Curve. Does anyone know if this a rumor or truth?
    I've heard this rumor from both credible people on the inside as well as non-credible people, so it makes me wonder. When I was at WF in Tulsa 2 weeks ago, they said we are on the list, but it will be at least 3 years. I do know Chesapeake has the capital to make it happen and speed it up. I sure hope it comes to fruition, we sure do need a WF or two.

For those that didn't see this on the Food & Restaurant board, Good Egg Group (Cheevers, Red Prime, Iron Starr) announced a gastropub (pub w/ good food) called Republic to be located in CC.

Looks like the only two confirmed tenants thus far are 105 Degrees and Republic; no retail yet.

20. Default Re: Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    For those that didn't see this on the Food & Restaurant board, Good Egg Group (Cheevers, Red Prime, Iron Starr) announced a gastropub (pub w/ good food) called Republic to be located in CC.

Looks like the only two confirmed tenants thus far are 105 Degrees and Republic; no retail yet.
    That's great news. I wonder what the status of the Classen Curve sportsbar is.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougz View Post
    The largest contiguous space in Classen Curve is "Building M" at 14,000 Square feet. Based on Whole Food's quarterly reports, average new store size runs 50,000 sq ft+ and even the ancient stores average 27k so I doubt a Whole Foods is possible.
    that's kind of what I've been thinking..those buildings look too small to house a WF

I know everyone has Whole Foods envy, but if that is not possible, I think it would be cool for the Curve to use its smaller spaces to attract several specialty markets, in effect creating a nice mix of local vendors in a quasi-open market setting. That way we could get Whole Foods quality or better in one location, keep profits in the community, and create a more intimate and unique upscale shopping experience that's usually only found in larger markets. I would actually prefer this over Whole Foods or any other "upscale" mega-mart type operation. You could probably even do this with half the space at CC, and maybe create a "Market at Classen Curve" side and use the other side for more general retail.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I know everyone has Whole Foods envy, but if that is not possible, I think it would be cool for the Curve to use its smaller spaces to attract several specialty markets, in effect creating a nice mix of local vendors in a quasi-open market setting. That way we could get Whole Foods quality or better in one location, keep profits in the community, and create a more intimate and unique upscale shopping experience that's usually only found in larger markets. I would actually prefer this over Whole Foods or any other "upscale" mega-mart type operation. You could probably even do this with half the space at CC, and maybe create a "Market at Classen Curve" side and use the other side for more general retail.
    I agree.

Whole Foods isn't the only game in town, here in Austin where Whole Foods is based we have several natural/organic options which also carry gourmet items, just not as many as the downtown Austin store which was the largest when it was built and is used as their test store since the HQ is located above the store. Some of those stores are more the size of the existing Gateway (North Austin) store. We have had Sun Harvest for many years, they were part of the Wild Oats chain and were spun off in Whole Foods acquisition of Wild Oats by order of the FTC. Recently we had Colorado based New Flower Farmers Market (Sunflower Farmers Market outside Texas) and opening soon with 4 stores in the area is Arizona based Sprouts Farmers Market and there is always Trader Joe's which doesn't have any locations between St. Louis and Albuquerque. Then there is always the other local we have in the Wheatsville Co-op and local like that could be an option up there as well. I think a location like Classen Curve would be better suited for one of these other, smaller chains rather than a big Whole Foods store which has stopped their expansion for the most part, the only ones moving forward are the ones that were pretty far long in development when the economy cratered. They were supposed to relocate the Gateway location to the The Domain but that has been scrapped for now and is no longer on their list on the website.

I've never been a big fan of Whole Foods. It would be great for OKC but I'm not 100% sure people would support the significantly higher price points.

As an example, I was having a big party last weekend and needed several swordfish steaks. I first went to Ralph's (the big chain out here but nicer than most grocery stores) and bought a few for about $7 a pound. The quality was great but they didn't have enough.

So off I went to Whole Foods as the location near me has a huge seafood section. Guess how much it was there? TWENTY ONE dollars a pound!! Now, it might have been of better quality but I didn't notice it when I prepared the meal.

Three freaking times as expensive!

I almost never shop at WF and strongly prefer Trader Joe's. I think TJ's or something similar would be a better fit for OKC, at least to kick-off the more upscale specialty groceries.

Thread Information