Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 60 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Classen Curve

1. Default Re: Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Again, I ask... why are our city leaders not helping already-existing local stores to develop into something similar to Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, Anthologie, Urban Outfitters, etc. We've got to move beyong the mentality that these outside conglomerates are better for our city than local shops.
    How exactly would they do that? Either people like their product and they grow into a large chain, or they don't. What does it have to do with city leaders?

Default Re: Classen Curve

Care to name any local shops that could attain the glorious product output of these chains?
    I would guess that most of these chains started out as individual stores. Mathis Brothers is sort of turning into a chain after decades of being a locally-owned business.

How exactly would they do that? Either people like their product and they grow into a large chain, or they don't. What does it have to do with city leaders?
    I don't personally support this idea, but it's not hard to see possibilities. One would be for the state to help create some sort of incubator, consisting of expert help and perhaps venture capital, to help locally-owned businesses grow and expand. That's no more far-fetched, in my opinion, than city hall agreeing to underwrite the marketing costs of an outlet mall.

3. Default Re: Classen Curve

Well you have to admit it's a little more far fetched... Not a terrible idea though.

But with some of these kinds of "desired" upscale chains, there is no local equivalent, so there's nothing wrong with going after upscale national retail.

Drove by today, work is progressing rapidly. There were 4 concrete pads already poured and they are working on a few others. I imagine we'll see stuff go vertical pretty quickly. Also on the SE corner of Grand and Classen, Chesapeake tore down an office building today. A week or two ago, they tore down another building just north of the funeral home. Work is really taking shape in the area. Here are a few pics I snapped on my phone while in the car (don't recommend or endorse).

5. Question Re: Classen Curve

any master plans for the classen curve?

or could you just take a better pic of the poster board at the site.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

6. Default Re: Classen Curve

There's a video of it at Rand Elliot's website, if you google Elliot and Associates.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken In The Rough View Post
    Again, I ask... why are our city leaders not helping already-existing local stores to develop into something similar to Restoration Hardware, Crate & Barrel, Anthologie, Urban Outfitters, etc. We've got to move beyong the mentality that these outside conglomerates are better for our city than local shops.
    Love's Country Stores, Braum's, Mardel's come to mind.

8. Default Re: Classen Curve

^^ Or Sonic?

I think they meant really respected chains, things that won't go into just any old city, and are considered selective. Like, if Bruno's Home Furnishings went national it would be like that... LIT clothing could be something like that if they end up succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    any master plans for the classen curve?

or could you just take a better pic of the poster board at the site.
    Look back on page one or go here:

Elliott + Associates Architects

Can't really take a better pic. That pic is right on the "curve" and usually has crazy traffic. Most drivers I notice are on their cell phones not paying attention and there is no place to pull off and do it out of the car. Kind of had to hold the phone out the window and click while moving. Check out the video, much better anyways.

10. Default Re: Classen Curve

Thanks Metro.

As soon as I typed that, I figured I probably could go to page 1 but was too lazy. lol.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

11. Default Re: Classen Curve

Quote Originally Posted by shane453 View Post
    I think they meant really respected chains, things that won't go into just any old city, and are considered selective. Like, if Bruno's Home Furnishings went national it would be like that... LIT clothing could be something like that if they end up succeeding.
    Firefly is in Dallas. I'm not sure where they were first. Another like that is Shoe Gypsy.

Has anyone noticed the little ramp of rocks that flirt with going into the far right northbound lane?? that, and the water coming off of there really bug me.

13. Default Re: Classen Curve

The Classen Curve is the first retail development I have seen that decided to consider design as a part of its offering to both tenants and patrons. It is another classic RE invention that will feature clean lines, lots of glass, black brick and several more sculptural entrance pieces.

The Classen Curve is the first retail development I have seen that decided to consider design as a part of its offering to both tenants and patrons. It is another classic RE invention that will feature clean lines, lots of glass, black brick and several more sculptural entrance pieces
    in others words, it's ugly

sgt p you need to get some new glasses if you think Elliot's designs are "ugly" - a lot of people must disagree for them to get so many design awards and be published everywhere

IMO....IT'S UGLY!
    i don't like that sleek, all glass, clean lines, stuff. i don't have to like just because everybody else does, and please don't get on to me because i disagree with you....and everybody else apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    IMO....IT'S UGLY!
    i don't like that sleek, all glass, clean lines, stuff. i don't have to like just because everybody else does, and please don't get on to me because i disagree with you....and everybody else apparently.
    Geez. What is with this 'hypersensitivity". Yes you are entitled to agree/disagree.

geez...thanks

19. Default Re: Classen Curve

It's definitely going to be different. I'm withholding judgement for now.

you're right jbrown. all i saw were renderings, i'm sure the real thing will look different. i guess i'm just an old old-fashion architectural kind of guy.

hey i'm not getting onto you for your opinion - just think it is quite a reach to label as ugly. not every style of architecture is for everyone, but you have to admit elliott's designs transcend the norm. if you look at historic projects they hav done there is quite a respect for the original building.

but we';re cool!

yes, there is nothing wrong with elliot's stuff. this would be a really boring world if people like elliot did'nt think outside the box.

If they have interesting retail, it won't look sleek and featureless. Every window will be a showcase for what's inside, unhindered by foofy exterior architecture. It will be a window shopper's paradise.

I've found the renderings and video a little vague.

However, it's clear they are spending a good chunk of money on this project and put a lot of planning and thought into it, and I'm excited to see the end product.

I'm also glad to see OKC the beneficiary of something new and bold, especially in the retail world. We have way, way too many soulless strip centers.

I heard a rumor that Chesapeake is planning a huge sports bar in the classen curve area. Has anybody else heard that?

Thread Information