Widgets Magazine

Thread: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

Default Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

Remember when Steve did a biggest eyesore contest? What about a most attractive building in downtown....contest? I think the Skirvin is amazing architecture and has been renovated exactly like it should. I also really like Leadership Square just because it has so much natural light and it the only all glass building. Thoughts?

Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

I'm with you on the Skirvin. I'm also partial to the Ramsey Tower. I think most people tend to think of the First National Bank Building as more iconic, but the Ramsey appeals more to my aesthetic. I think the art museum is the best of the recent construction. The blank noirth wall leaves something to be desired, but I was really impressed with the way the architect worked around the shell of the Centre Theater.

3. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

I like the new Federal Building, Plaza Court, The Classen and Gold Dome together, JDM Place, The Stage Center, the Art-Deco gov't buildings, the MofA, and the Farmers Public Market Building, just off of the top of my head. I prefer the Colcord over the Skirvin, mainly because the back of the Skirvin looks like a patchwork quilt.

What is the condition of the old Federal Reserve Building? I remember walking around downtown a long time ago, turning a corner, and seeing that building. My first thought was, "What is this doing here!" I also like the old high school that became the SWB/SBC/ATT building.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
    What is the condition of the old Federal Reserve Building? I remember walking around downtown a long time ago, turning a corner, and seeing that building. My first thought was, "What is this doing here!" I also like the old high school that became the SWB/SBC/ATT building.
    It's currently undergoing and wrapping up an extensive remodel.

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I prefer the Colcord over the Skirvin, mainly because the back of the Skirvin looks like a patchwork quilt.
    I feel the same way about the Colcord. I really like the way it is designed and I like its setting. After all, if I am not mistaken, it was the first skyscraper (if you will) in OKC.

First National Center for me... At least the tower and not that hodge-podge of buildings attached to it.

I love the old step-back skyscrapers and always thought it looked like a mini Empire State Building.

Plus, there are tons of exterior art deco pieces and of course the Great Banking Hall is maybe the best space in OKC.

If we can consider it downtown, Union Station is way up there as well. I can't wait to see it fully restored.

And I've also always loved old Central High School. I know it's been converted to office use but it's still amazing.

8. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

First National for the art deco.

I
    love the old step-back skyscrapers and always thought it looked like a mini Empire State Building.
    I read somewhere, maybe it was one of Dougs blogs, that that building was ment to copy the impire state building?

I think FNC looks more like the Chicago Board of Trade than anything else.

11. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

In the new Dark Knight trailer, they have a bird's eye view shot of a building that looks like First National. They shot in Chicago, so I wonder if it's the building you mention, Kerry.

I think I have to go with The Colcord, but I also love the County Courthouse, The Skirvin, the new Federal Building, Central High, FNC, Court Plaza, and the old Oklahoman-Times building.

12. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

Depends on the era for me. I like Leadership Square for the newer buildings, but definitely FNC for the older ones (minus all the extra ugly crap on it).

13. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

I think FNC looks more like the Chicago Board of Trade than anything else.
    They look strikingly similar.

I'm torn... City Hall, Civic Center, First National, Court Plaza. After thinking about it, there really isn't a build I don't like.

I might be biased, but I really prefer the First National Center. It is a beautifully harmonius and balanced building. THE most classical and distinctive building in OKC by far.

16. Default Re: Most Attractive Building in Downtown?

I'm not big on the Ramsey Tower, for some reason.

OKCMallen - go in to the Ramsey Tower and ask to ride the slide. It is amusement ride - not an office building.

OKCMallen - go in to the Ramsey Tower and ask to ride the slide. It is amusement ride - not an office building.
    I thought it was closed off?

I like First National best.

Thread Information