Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Molly Murphy's

Default Re: Molly Murphy's Restaraunt

LOL!! Excellent, Kevin!

OSUMom had a perfectly valid point, and you gave the perfect response.

That could work. If someone doesn't pass the 'pretend TSA pat down' at the door then they sure don't want what will await them inside. That would be the humor test.

And then the friendly, "fly the friendly skies of Molly's" hostess could pin on some Captain's wings . . . Except they would either be giant, fuzzy angel wings or giant, fuzzy Buffalo Chicken Wings . . . (For the timid and easily offended.)

Love the recent posts guys!!!

We need some more of that type to get over the PC crowd. there is a waiter out in the Vegas Sam's Town that we always ask for when we go out there. He would have fir in perfectly at Molly Murphys but he is a character all to himself. And he rakes in the tips by being that way too. Along the lines of Joan Rivers or Don Rickles....

Maybe he could be persuaded to come to OKC when the New Molly Murphy's opens and assume the role of Rodney Safetyfield. He could go from table to table making sure everyone is belted into their seats, reminding everyone it is important to chew their food at least twenty times and giving graphic demonstrations of the Heimlich Maneuver. Of course, it is doubtful that he will get much respect.

[Edited to Add, (because the option is still available)]:
    Do you suppose that it is possible that Aubrey McC may have dined at Molly Murphy's?
    Perhaps he could include the new location in his master plan (!).
    I think it would be way cooler than Pops. Even as cool as Pops is.
    (Plus it could break up the monotony of the development . . . Well, couldn't it?)

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Maybe he could be persuaded to come to OKC when the New Molly Murphy's opens and assume the role of Rodney Safetyfield. He could go from table to table making sure everyone is belted into their seats, reminding everyone it is important to chew their food at least twenty times and giving graphic demonstrations of the Heimlich Maneuver. Of course, it is doubtful that he will get much respect.

[Edited to Add, (because the option is still available)]:
    Do you suppose that it is possible that Aubrey McC may have dined at Molly Murphy's?
    Perhaps he could include the new location in his master plan (!).
    I think it would be way cooler than Pops. Even as cool as Pops is.
    (Plus it could break up the monotony of the development . . . Well, couldn't it?)
    Did you say there opening a new molly murphys?

"Did you say there opening a new molly murphys?"

They may be opening a new "Molly Murphy's" but I didn't say it and I'm not sure where.
    So the short answer is "no".

(I am, however, confident that Clay Bennett, Aubrey McClendon, and the rest of the crew know exactly where it will be. And that, all things considered, is probably a good thing.)

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by capt_john_97 View Post
    My thought for today is what is/was your favorite Molly Murphy's memory?
    Leaving.

Prunepicker,
    Funny, my thoughts exactly. My boys loved it, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I didn't even care for their food.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    Leaving.

it was a great place to be able to buy a mixed drink when I was 16

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    Prunepicker,
    Funny, my thoughts exactly. My boys loved it, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
    I didn't even care for their food.
    C. T.
    The food wasn't that great. It was a place to have fun and had it's place.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatesooner View Post
    it was a great place to be able to buy a mixed drink when I was 16
    Did they knowingly serve you being well underaged? Am thinking maybe they served you a "virgin" one and told you it was the real thing as they could get into serious trouble if they served to a minor. Not saying it doesn't/couldn't happen, just surprised is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry OKC View Post
    Did they knowingly serve you being well underaged? Am thinking maybe they served you a "virgin" one and told you it was the real thing as they could get into serious trouble if they served to a minor. Not saying it doesn't/couldn't happen, just surprised is all.
    A law violation of alcohol reaching an underage person in a wet county was likely as common as it was in dry counties ... very.

14. Default Re: Molly Murphy's Restaraunt

I pray that they don't open another Molly Murphy's -- wouldn't be the same and it would be a futile attempt to try to recapture old memories. There was nothing better than the original Molly Murphy's during the oil boom and the debauchery that went with it. To open one today, would be a watered down, lame a$$ attempt to replicate something that was catching lightning in a bottle.

Prunepicker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaOkie View Post
    I pray that they don't open another Molly Murphy's -- wouldn't be the
    same and it would be a futile attempt to try to recapture old memories.
    I've noticed that remakes of anything are almost always total failures.

What immediately comes to mind are Hitchcock movies. It's futile.
    The true essence is never considered as much as what can we get
    away with.

In all honesty I wouldnt want it to be exactly the same. I do know that several former Molly's employees are trying to open a new restaraunt similar to the old one but updated. It wouldn't even have the same name since the Tayar family still holds the name. I think the time is right though. Everyone can remember how much fun they had there but not how bad the quality had dropped to. Everyone seems to remember how funny the characters were but not how they had become people in costumes not characters. I also think enough people have heard others talk about it but they never went or were never able to go. I think it would have a nice go today.

Quote Originally Posted by Prunepicker View Post
    I've noticed that remakes of anything are almost always total failures.

What immediately comes to mind are Hitchcock movies. It's futile.
    The true essence is never considered as much as what can we get
    away with.
    Speaking of comeback failures what has happened to the new "soundtrack" with linda soundtrack I seen a few commercials and now nothing?

18. Default Re: Molly Murphy's Restaraunt

My only visit to Molly Murphy's was on a visit home from Military school in San Marcos Texas. Mom took me there for my birthday (must have been the early 80's). I remember as a young kiddo I really enjoyed the atmosphere.

Local DJ Janet Mathis at KJ103 used to be a waitress there.

Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post
    Speaking of comeback failures what has happened to the new "soundtrack" with linda soundtrack I seen a few commercials and now nothing?
    All I know is the one that opened up--briefly--in my neck of the woods (Geez: Did I actually just use the phrase "neck of the woods"? Not only are there no woods around here, but if there were, I doubt that they would have "necks" . . .) closed up shop in no time at all.

Being right next door to Audio Dimensions--the Rolls Royce/Aston Martin Dealership of Musical and Video Appreciation Devices--may have had something to do with it . . . Not that I am implying any sort of "conspiracy" or whatever . . .

Perhaps Sluggo just decided that he didn't want to take up the reins (or reigns?) of the Family Business?

The new Soundtrack was an extension of Audio Dimensions and they hired her to do a few commercials. It apparently wasn't very successful and it is closed. I'm not sure about Audio Dimensensions.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by grantgeneral78 View Post

They are still there.
    Much like The Liberty Bank location. =)

Thanks for the reply, CT!
    I NEVER would have guessed that was the answer.
    (Much like that old Sherlock Holmes/Watson joke/riddle involving a tent and the stars. =)

I thought maybe I was dreaming when I recalled hearing Linda screaming on tv.....glad to hear (in a way) I am not loosing it.

I think MM could make a comeback if done right. From what I recall, the place kinda soured and became cliche. In its last few years, the food wasn't as good, and the waiters/waitresses weren't funny anymore, just annoying and rude.

Plus they let the grease (and other stuff that I shall refrain from mentioning in detail) build way up in the kitchen. (Ref: Previous post, this thread)

RadicalModerate, Your Welcome! About a month before it opened there was a nice article about it in the Daily Oklahoman. It's been a while but I believe it was just a new venture for Russell Kim that would carry a less expensive line of products.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    They are still there.
    Much like The Liberty Bank location. =)

Thanks for the reply, CT!
    I NEVER would have guessed that was the answer.
    (Much like that old Sherlock Holmes/Watson joke/riddle involving a tent and the stars. =)

Thread Information