Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Default Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Baghdad, Mogadishu, Chernobyl, Oklahoma City...

Top 10 Places To Not Visit

haha.

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Natural disasters?! How about those cities that suffer from earthquakes? I'll take a little twister any day over the earth undulating under my feet.

the reviewer must have come from a state where our football team kicked their &#@% !!!

Wow, the '99 tornado devastated most of the city? Journalistic license I guess.

That sure is a beautiful photo of one of the worst natural disaster places to live. i agree w/ sonnerfan. This has to be a joke.

Whew! I was worried when I saw all of these articles raving about the city. This balances things out nicely and keeps us from tempting fate so much.

7. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

No, it was a real article written for askmen.com and the title was Top 10: Hells On Earth.

8. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

What a bunch of crap. Because you know, we've had so many high rises knocked down by high winds.

9. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

The "OKC Reviews" link at the bottom is filled with people upset about this, from all over the country. "Unjust, Unfair", and other similar comments.

Unfortunately, even this picture is better than the one Forbes Magazine used in their #1 list. Well....kinda....anybody else notice the clouds that look like smoke from an explosion? Think: OKC bombing. A little subliminal dig in the picture.

11. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

What a moron. I just can't stand people that think that articles like this are funny and cute, all the while, destroying tourism and spreading false rumors about a city they probably have never been to.

How about freaking New Orleans?

Sheesh, that hurricane and aftermath makes our tornadoes look mild.

Oh great, Maggie Carlo is talking about it on the news .. the only American city on the list. ugh.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

12. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Do we have blizzards?

13. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

No.

I think he meant to say Detroit.

Well we all have to agree that OKC does get some wicked weather. However OKC shouldn't be bashed by that fact. As a result of our wicked weather we have some of best (if not the best) weather prediction, meteorologist, and weather schools in the world, which in return protects other people and not just Oklahomans.

What are your chances of visiting OKC and getting in the middle of a tornado? I would have to say pretty slim. Now what are you chances of ending up in the bad neighborhoods of Detroit, North Little Rock, Memphis, or Compton and getting shot or mugged? That has to be higher chance being involved in a tornado in OKC. I could be wrong.

17. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Some comments found here: View all Reviews for Oklahoma City Oklahoma - AOL Travel

OKC is a great place to visit!

This is ridiculous. Having been there to watch our son compete in the rowing Olympic Trials just weeks ago, I can tell you it is a great city with much to do. Thriving downtown, great bars and restaurants, we didn't know what to expect and were very impressed!
    totally unjust

My kids and I were in OKC while my husband was at a convention and we loved it. The zoo was great, there were wonderful parks. I would definately go back. So much for us to do while he was tied up in meetings.
    I'm a proud Texan who moved just north of OKC last year, and I am also offended that OKC would be compared to the crap holes of the third world.
    WOW

This writer is an idiot....I grew up in OKC and had to move away when I was 14. I have been back several times since and am considering moving back now. I live in Michigan now and the economy and weather are horrible. The cost of living is lower in OKC and there are many jobs available right now. As far as the tornadoes....Some of my best childhood memories are of me and my family hanging out in the storm shelter eating hotdogs and telling stories. I wish me and my kids had some of that together time now....
    The inclusion of Oklahoma City in this list is unjust, unfair and unwise. I lived near Dulles, Virginia, home of AOL's corporate office, for 10 years. I chose to leave that area and return to Oklahoma City, a wonderful community and a great place to live. Why should those of us in Oklahoma City send our resources to an institution that insults us?
    Obviously the author of this article has never been in Oklahoma City. Is it possible that this idiot is from Seattle?
    You actually have a clean, middle-America, middle-class city rated more dangerous than Chenobyl, Somalia, Bangladesh, and Iraq!!! Are you out of your mind? Just because there's an occassional tornado that makes it more dangerous than radiation poisoning, war, murder, and disease? And, ranked only a little safer than Pyongyang, North Korea! What kind of idiots do you have working there?

18. Default Re: Oklaohoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfever View Post
    Well we all have to agree that OKC does get some wicked weather.
    Yes, but the worst city for natural disasters? NO. NOT EVEN.

19. Default Re: Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

I want to comment but then I'd have to register with AOL and I don't want to... you can comment anonymously on AskMen.com - Free Men's Online Magazine .... search Oklahoma

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Probably some ex OKC AOL Call Center employee that got a raise right before it shut down.

Default Re: Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

Maybe the person who wrote this article is a Seattle Sonic fan. I think this is worth some kind of investigation and punishment at the end of it. There is no way in he** OKC is even close in the top 100, much less top 10! I'm telling ya, ther is some kind of conspiracy against our GREAT city. Somebody owes Oklahoma City a huge apology.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    Yes, but the worst city for natural disasters? NO. NOT EVEN.
    No! Not the worst for sure. I just meant that we get some pretty significant weather. Just like Karried said what about New Orleans. I can't ever remember a tornado flushing out 3/4 of OKC population.

Does anybody think it was a coincidence that the picture of the skyline (shown in my post about ten posts up) included a single cloud puff that makes it look like smoke from an explosion? A not-very-cute reference to the 1995 bombing? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's awfully strange looking. Makes me think of subliminal advertising years ago.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma City - top 10 places NOT to visit

The text on AskMen.com is even worse:

While it may be all hunky-dory on the musical front, Oklahoma City isn’t the kind of place you’d want to hang out in for too long if you like to keep your feet on terra firma. The weather is frighteningly unpredictable, with blizzards often descending on the city and winds that could knock a high rise clean off its feet. It is, after all, located in the direct path of “Tornado Alley.”

The worst time to visit would be from March to August, when The Day After Tomorrow-style weather is pretty much expected. In fact, the severe weather season makes Dorothy’s Kansas look positively calm, with Oklahoma City being the city worst affected by tornadoes in the United States. One of the most powerful tornadoes on record -- an F5 with wind speeds of 320 mph -- devastated much of the city in 1999, rendering it a place on our list of hells on earth

Quote Originally Posted by solitude View Post
    Does anybody think it was a coincidence that the picture of the skyline (shown in my post about ten posts up) included a single cloud puff that makes it look like smoke from an explosion? A not-very-cute reference to the 1995 bombing? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's awfully strange looking. Makes me think of subliminal advertising years ago.

Very interesting?

Thread Information