Widgets Magazine

Thread: Select the sex of your child?

Patrick Guest

Default Select the sex of your child?

I found this article about the technology of being able to select the sex of your baby. What do you think? Should people be able to "play God" and select the sex of their baby, using modern science?

---------
    "Technology allows sex selection
    Embryo screening stirs ethics debateBy Rob Stein

Kristen and John Magill adore all three of their daughters -- 11-year-old twins and a 5-year-old baby sister. But when they began to plan for their next -- and last -- child, the Magills really wanted a boy.

"My husband is a 'Junior' and has a family business that he wants to continue in the family name," said Kristen, 37, of Grafton, Mass.

So the Magills combined a family trip to Disneyland in August with a stop at a Los Angeles fertility clinic that enables couples to pick the sex of their babies. Kristen is now expecting twin boys.

"I'm excited," she said. "We always wanted a boy. We really wanted just one, but we'll be happy with two."

The Magills are part of a small but growing number of Americans who are selecting the sex of their children, using techniques developed to help couples who are infertile or at risk for having babies with genetic diseases.

In addition to the standard in vitro fertilization procedure that Kristen underwent, a Fairfax clinic is testing another approach that can sort sperm by sex -- an easier and far less expensive method, albeit not quite as reliable.

The doctors offering the services, as well as some medical ethicists who defend them, argue the procedures make it possible for parents to fulfill a natural desire, harm no one, and enhance the joys of parenthood and family life.

Etc.

For rest of story, see: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6709111/

Keith Guest

Default Re: Select the sex of your child?

This is one thing that nobody should mess with. Nobody should be able to "play God," just because they want a boy instead of a girl. What God has given us as a blessing, should continue to be left in his control, not ours.

3. Default Re: Select the sex of your child?

I will go one farther. I do not believe in revealing the sex of the child either. IT spoils the surprise.

Yes. I agree with Keith. No one should try to mess with the sex of a child.

If people are able to "play God", if you're religious, don't you think that since we have the technology, it was what God intended?

I don't think there's any relevant data in any religion forbidding choosing the sex of a child. In fact, weren't some people in the Bible blessed with many sons?

5. Default Re: Select the sex of your child?

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner
    If people are able to "play God", if you're religious, don't you think that since we have the technology, it was what God intended?

I don't think there's any relevant data in any religion forbidding choosing the sex of a child. In fact, weren't some people in the Bible blessed with many sons?
    Yes. However, the Bible says GOD was the one who did the blessing. Not a medical lab.

Patrick Guest

Personally, I feel we should leave determining the sex of the child up to random events. Besides, isn't that part of the fun? It isn't like someone HAS to have a boy or girl! Take whatever you get. Why are so many people so bent on getting one sex or the other?

I personally have no problem with knowing the sex of the child beforehand. Most of the preparation is done before the baby is born. Buying gifts for people who don't determine the sex of the child is extremely difficult, because baby merchandise is very gender specific.

Quote Originally Posted by mranderson
    Yes. However, the Bible says GOD was the one who did the blessing. Not a medical lab.
    Perhaps it was God that blessed the medical lab with the discovery? If God has a hand in everything that occurs, how could this not be part of His plan?

Patrick Guest

Sure, God allows certain things to happen, but that doesn't mean He favors everything he allows to happen. For example, He allows certain people to abuse drugs, but He doesn't cause that. Satan causes that. God simply gives people choices to make. He allows people the opportunity to choose between good and evil.

But how do you define this as evil? By what standard is this evil? It's new, it's unfamiliar, but evil? That's a huge stretch.

Around the turn of the century, we had a similar argument being used:

"If God had intended man to fly, he would have given us wings."

Patrick Guest

Oh, I didn't really say THIS was evil, I was just making a general statement, referencing the fact that God doesn't always approve of everything that happens in life.

Keith Guest

Exactly.

Patrick Guest

Whether the selection of the sex of a baby is evil or not, is still up for debate. I personally don't support it, but I don't necessarily base this on scripture or anything....I base it more on personal morals and societal ethics.

What specific part of your social/moral credo does selecting the child conflict with?

We're not talking about genetically enhancing the embryo in terms of physical gifts, IQ, etc. We're just talking about the sex. It's done by sorting sperm, not by messing with Chromosomes, so it doesn't rise to the level of genetically engineering human beings.

Patrick Guest

It's just of my personal belief that God should determine the sex of the baby, not science.
    You have to look at the ethics of it all. What if everyone decided they wanted boys? Of course, that wouldn't happen, but it's always a possiblity. Obviously there aren't any rules controlling this....so anything could happen.

SoundMind Guest

If God wanted parents to determine the sex of their child, he would've made a way without modern science having to step up to the plate. Keith and Patrick, I agree with your thinking. Although I'm a scientist, I believe certain ethics need to be established in my field.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMind
    If God wanted parents to determine the sex of their child, he would've made a way without modern science having to step up to the plate. Keith and Patrick, I agree with your thinking. Although I'm a scientist, I believe certain ethics need to be established in my field.
    I'll never get tired of saying this...

And if God had wanted man to fly, he'd have given us wings!

17. Default Re: Select the sex of your child?

The way I look at it....What's the fun in letting some hmmm....other person mess around with my significant other's and my hmmm...."Handy work"? Maybe that's a skewed way to look at it, but I would imagine that there are others that would agree with my somewhat neanderthalic way of looking at it. Let God do the work on that end, let us have some fun on our end....

18. Default Re: Select the sex of your child?

I don't have a problem with it until you get into the area of "You know, we really wanted a boy this time around, and...."

This is not to say that I think we're going to be following the Chinese model (any child beyond the first is unwanted by law), but this slope is a bit more slippery than I'd like.

Thread Information