Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighborhoods

Default Neighborhoods

My husband and I just recently paid a trip to Edmond to look at homes. We really liked a home in Redbud Canyon. It just kind of seems out there on the NE by itself. Much more development on the NW side of 35. Is my impression correct, or do you all think this area would be a good investment for us? We also liked many properties on the NW side like Belmont Farms, Oak Tree Park and Cascata Falls to name a few. Basically, there are soooo many nice additions it was so hard to make a decision...lol. So, the realtor told us that Edmond development is moving in a northern direction. I am wondering if that is the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Default Re: Neighborhoods

Yep, that's the way to go. I would choose near 35 - that area is really growing. I love the Eastern side of Edmond, trees, trees and more trees. Hate the flat brown Deer Creek side. Plus, they have flooding issues.

That's where I'll end up one day hopefully. I don't know if I would go as far as Redbud, it is pretty far out (but beautiful) and it won't be long before all of that area is starting to fill in. There's not a lot of convencience out that way.. ie restaurants, shops etc...

I like the area I'm in just for that reason - it's so close to everything and so convenient to get where I'm going .. I'm more SouthWest Edmond/NW OKC.

But, eventually, we'll make our way out towards the trees.

ps. Edmond North is reputed to be one of the best high schools in the area.
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Default Re: Neighborhoods

Yes, agree with you about the trees. Plus my husband will be commuting to Tinker for work and does not want to be in the Deer Creek area. He wants closer to I35. And since we saw Valencia and the homes affected by the recent tornado, we are pretty much not looking over in that area at all. His colleagues have convinced us that tornados do have a path they like to take and so that area is more likely to be hit again than another area. So, enough said. We really loved Oak Tree Park, but I think we may want more of a yard. What do you think about Raintree Acres or Cedar Creek Estates? Want to look at those when we arrive in June. Really want some property coming from socal and having nothing but a patio for a yard. Thanks for your input.

If you guys make a return trip, you might try making a drive to Tinker at the time he'd normally have to go to work to see what the traffic is like at that time. That might help in your decision of where to locate as well. I think you'll be surprised by how quickly traffic moves here even during what we call rush hour (probably nothing like your rush hour). I drive 30 miles to and from work in traditional rush hour (before 8:00/after 5:00) and I make it in about 30-40 minutes.

You can take Sooner Road all the way to Tinker from where Sooner merges onto I-35 near the Turner Turnpike. Only one major "jog" in it and kind of a nice drive to me.

6. Default Re: Neighborhoods

Rain Tree Acres, if I remember correctly, while very beautiful, backs up to the Kilpatrick Turnpike and has constant freeway/road/semi trucks noise...
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

Oh...that is good to know. Thanks.

I live in RBC. Love the area.
    Living East of I-35 I think is the way to go or North Edmond. However, there are pluses & minuses .... and you all have talked about it already. I-35 is so close, I hop on it everyday and travel.

For me, I'd do it again or I'd want to have more land and no HOA ... but those are just personal prefs. If he's travelin' to Tinker everyday, living close to I-35 is key - living inside Edmond/West Edmond could become a grind as you notice more traffic at the key intersections and getting across Edmond is similar to Norman (since you don't live here... it's just not that much fun).

Our HWY traffic is well... 5 min slowdown you really get upset if that happens (ie, Dallas, 5 min slowdown, you pray for those!)

Best of luck - also, going North Edmond, East/West of I-35 ... Up Sooner, Air Depot, Coltrane, Bryant ... probably Bryant would be as far "west" to go but just depends on what you want. HTH

Quote Originally Posted by shadow42 View Post
    My husband and I just recently paid a trip to Edmond to look at homes. We really liked a home in Redbud Canyon. It just kind of seems out there on the NE by itself. Much more development on the NW side of 35. Is my impression correct, or do you all think this area would be a good investment for us? We also liked many properties on the NW side like Belmont Farms, Oak Tree Park and Cascata Falls to name a few. Basically, there are soooo many nice additions it was so hard to make a decision...lol. So, the realtor told us that Edmond development is moving in a northern direction. I am wondering if that is the way to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pearlblue, RBC is really a beautiful neighborhood and I love all the property around the homes. Negative for me is that there is no park or pool. What would be the closest pool for us? Also, I have enrolled my 3yr old at St. Mary's. Would that be just a pain to do for me? You know, I am really not against a little drive. It takes us 15 min just to get to the freeway here, so that means 30min to get most places and that is w/out traffic. It seems that everything is fairly close, but not knowing the ins/outs of the area it is hard to determine.

@Shadow - I'm probably not the best person to answer the pool question except to say that my wife would say the Edmond pelican bay aquatic center (or whatever it is called) is between 2nd/15th off of Bryant. I can tell you she wants a pool badly ... or she takes the children to friend's and they swim.

St Marys - sorry, I don't even know where that is! Traveling from RBC into Edmd isn't really a big deal to me ... again, for the most part you are looking at a 5-15 min trip one way depending on if you are going to the 2nd/15th & Bryant area, downtown Edmd or at 33rd/Broadway ... getting over to Santa Fe/Kelly and 15th/33rd is probably max time.

You probably should try staying for a few days and just driving the areas at different times and just time things. It's really not that bad...

Best of luck.

Don't discount the areas around Tinker. Since your husband will be working at Tinker, you might want to check out Eastern Oklahoma County (MWC/Choctaw/Harrah). They have everything from 1940's salt boxes" to today's Mc Mansions. . .and with the Interstate, it's close to downtown/Bricktown. It's an up and coming area. . .used to live out that direction, but moved to more of an "inner city" neighborhood due to personal preferences.

Well, I am pretty stuck on Edmond because of the schools. My son has asperger's and we need some district services and Edmond has the best schools in the state. I have been in contact with the autism consultant there and she has been quite responsive and helpful. My experience with contacting Deer Creek was not so good even. Initially, I wanted to be in the DC district, but the special services director would never return my calls. Very unimpressed with that regardless of test scores! Anyway, thanks for your input. My hubby actually wanted to look in Norman as well, but I think we should stick to Edmond.

Just to give you an idea of travel time I had to drive from far southwest Oklahoma City (as in nearly to Newcastle) to near Sooner Road and I-240 and then to Memorial Road and Western area. Left a little after 7 and was at last destination by 7:45. You just have to love getting around in Oklahoma City especially compared to any other place I've lived.

There is a very active autism group here in OKC, as they are lobbying (not too successfully at this point) our legislators regarding insurance for families with autistic children. you might want to check into the group if you are interested once you settle in. Could be a good resource for your child?

We live on the East side of I-35 off of 33rd street in Fountain Gate Estates and we love it! I'm not sure the ages of your child or children but our daughter goes to Chisholm Elementary and it's a GREAT school! The only thing you've mentioned that we don't have is a neighborhood pool. There were too many homes that put in their own so we just decided to do the same. We also looked at Redbud Canyon and liked it too but didn't want to change schools. I agree with what you said...there are so many great neighborhoods around here I'm sure you'll find something that will work perfect for your family! Good luck!

Smile Re: Neighborhoods

Have not heard of that neighborhood, but will look into it. Thanks.

@Shadow42 -

If you want, I can compile a list of 'hoods for you ... as KHuelskamp mentioned, Fountains Gate is nice too. Have some friends that live there and more around that area. The I-35 corridor for Edmond on East/West side has nice homes and 'hoods to choose from. You should have plenty of areas to choose from.

If only I could afford the east side of Edmond. Oh well, some day. We just purchased a home on the west side of Edmond. Actually bought it from Tom Ward, CEO of Sandridge Energy. He originally bought the home for his adopted son to live in. Neat!

@ P ... 1 transaction closer to a Billionaire ... cool !

Too bad I wasn't Tom's adopted son.

It was funny, because we were trying to get him to sign the contract. His son was trying to sign the contract, but we explained to him that Tom would have to sign it since the house was in his name. We were told that his power of attorney would do it! Must be nice to be so busy and have so much money, that you have to get other people to do things for you.

Ah man, I was hoping I'd get to meet Tom at closing. But, my realtor told me his power of attorney would probably handle things! Of course, why would Tom be bothered by such a trivial matter as a $175,00 house that's 1/10 the size of his own! Ha!

Tom is a really great guy though, so don't think I'm dogging him. He does great things for our city, and for the Christian community at Crossings Community Church.

It's just interesting to learn how the billionaires handle life issues.

Quit your boasting.

Good grief... are you kidding me? If this is @ Patrick... you're off-base IMHO.
    He didn't say anything to offend anyone .. or boast!

Quote Originally Posted by jsenter View Post
    Quit your boasting.

Quote Originally Posted by pearlbluevtx View Post
    Good grief... are you kidding me? If this is @ Patrick... you're off-base IMHO.
    He didn't say anything to offend anyone .. or boast!

He didn't have to bring up the Tom Ward reference. He's just boasting.

I find that information interesting ... thanks for SHARING Patrick!

Boasting? OMG, I was sharing my unique experience from last week. It's not like I'm boasting about my mansion. I bought a STARTER home. Even at that, I wasn't boasting. I was SHARING about my experience buying a home in the west Edmond area, and I thought it was interesting to learn that when I put a contract on the house, I found out the house was in Tom Ward's name and that his son lived in it. I thought it was interesting to see how rich people deal with ordinary situations. That was nothing against Tom though. Just an observation.

Thread Information