Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtown Question

1. Default Downtown Question

What do you consider to be downtown's five worst eyesores?

Default Re: Downtown Question

Hey, Steve.

Could you clarify? Are you talking CBD specifically, or the downtown area in general, including Mid-Town, Automobile Alley, Bricktown, etc.

What are the parameters you have in mind?

3. Default Re: Downtown Question

Good question. Let's put the emphasis on the core - the central business district, arts district, Bricktown and Auto Alley.

Not sure about the top 5, but for me the worst is the back side of the buildings on the southside of Park Ave, between Robinson and Broadway. That is one giant wall of crap that makes downtown OKC look old a dingy.

1) The old library (which is being fixed, I know one of the subcontractors);
    2) The DEQ building
    3) The AT&T windowless monstrosity
    4) "The Century" parking garage -- that white pile 'ol crap on Kerr & Harvey.
    5t) Park Harvey Tower -- ugly and brown
    5t) The empty Dowell Center

The Parking Garage near the ballpark and the U-Haul building.

Bass-Pro #1
    U-Haul building
    Century Center
    piece o'crap maintenance their building in front of RockTown
    Harkins Theatre

Just think if we would have built an IKEA instead of Bass Pro! Much more urban development would be here by now.

Note: Most of mine have to do with Bricktown because I don't work or spend a lot of time downtown so forgive me.

1. The huge building just north of the U-haul building that looks like it is constantly being renovated, but no headway being made. It is on the NW corner of Oklahoma and Reno
    2. Under Zio's (which is going to be fixed eventually I know)
    3. the buildings just west of 235 in bricktown on the SE corner of Sheridan and Byers Ave. They look like old shop buildings that are very dilapitated and are falling apart.
    4. the store fronts next to the main street parking garage that include a Subway on Main Street between Robinson and Broadway
    5. The parking garage just north of the Cox Center on EK Gaylord and between Main and NE 2nd.

10. Default Re: Downtown Question

1) U-Haul building, it doesn't even fit in, but since OKC is the crossing of two major highways that run border to border, I can see why they would want people to see it.
    2) Oil Coop building, nothing says urban or vibrant like a couple of huge industrial buildings.
    3) Anything East of 235 on Reno, i know it's not downtown, but still an entrance/exit to the city, but you can pretty much just say the whole east side.
    4) Roads, enough said.
    5) Oklahoma County Jail, again, enough said.

All of the buildings immediately east of the Bricktown events center (the Fox body shop and all the warehouse buildings). I guess it isn't quite in your designated area , but the Finley building on 2nd street and the adjacent buildings on south 2nd Street in the Triangle are pretty bad, as is the area immediately south of them and just north of Bricktown.

The cotton oil monster south of I-40 gets all 5 of my votes!!! I like the climbing range though. It could be jazzed up a bit, but it does serve a good purpose.

13. Default Re: Downtown Question

Any building without a sigificant street-level presence.

14. Default Re: Downtown Question

No Cuatrode, I'm not going to let you off that easily. You almost always have an interesting take on things downtown. Come on - name names.

15. Default Re: Downtown Question

I agree with Metro... the AT&T building... what I call a giant brick box. The day a wrecking ball is applied to that tower is a day of rejoice.

Another eyesore is the Union Bus Station. It maybe old and historic. But it is OLD, and due a face lift.

Another downtown eyesore is the First National Arcade, next to the First National Tower. For crying out loud, at least give the hunk o' junk an exterior face lift.

And last but not least... the ugliest building in downtown Oklahoma City... I can;t name it but it is right next to City Place... Sonic's original HQ before they occupied the building on Broadway (and before moving to Bricktown). I believe a portion of it is a parking garage with car lifts. Does that ring a bell? It HAS to go.
    Continue the Renaissance!!!

16. Default Re: Downtown Question

Yes, I know what you are talking about. It was, or is, owned by Globe Life.

All five of my votes go to Stage Center. Yuck! Looks like a relic of the '70s...

Quote Originally Posted by okcpulse View Post
    I agree with Metro... the AT&T building... what I call a giant brick box. The day a wrecking ball is applied to that tower is a day of rejoice.

Another eyesore is the Union Bus Station. It maybe old and historic. But it is OLD, and due a face lift.

Another downtown eyesore is the First National Arcade, next to the First National Tower. For crying out loud, at least give the hunk o' junk an exterior face lift.

And last but not least... the ugliest building in downtown Oklahoma City... I can;t name it but it is right next to City Place... Sonic's original HQ before they occupied the building on Broadway (and before moving to Bricktown). I believe a portion of it is a parking garage with car lifts. Does that ring a bell? It HAS to go.
    okcpulse, how are you agreeing with me, when none of the buildings you mentioned, I mentioned. I mentioned Bass Pro as number 1 (wishing it was an IKEA and mixed-use urban development).

19. Default Re: Downtown Question

8. I agree, anything east of 235 on Reno.

7. I don't know is this is close enough to count, but banks of the Oklahoma River. Instead if looking like a drainage ditch, it looks like one filled with water.

6. I-40 Crosstown Bridge AND the I-235 bridge. Not because it is an eyesore, but because it provides a view of downtown that is less-than-spetacular.

5. I call franchise architecture an eyesore (i.e. Courtyard, Residence Inn).

4. The Tri-Gen building.

3. I have always hated the AT&T building. Their building here in stillwater is almost as bad. Maybe not a wrecking ball, but maybe in interesting facade treatment. I'm not a big Micheal Graves fan but this could work:

2. Parking.
    ----2A. Surface parking. Including the Ford dealership (come on C2S!).
    ----2B. Every parking garage except the Galleria.

Allright Steve, since you called me out:

1. In terms of lack of street activity, the Century Center. (I hear that is being fixed) As for the other buildings without street presence, they are smaller buildings that I do not know the names of. The larger buildings are better in terms of ground level activity but it could use some reconfiguration, such as being more transparent, opening onto the street vs opening into a lobby, etc. For retail to thrive in the core, it needs to be continous.

0. (I just thought of this) In general our skyline could use some color. With few exceptions, it's a heap of brown and gray buildings.

20. Default Re: Downtown Question

I vote for CS2 to be funded by Disney and put in an amusement park.. we'll then have our small light rail, hotels, attractions, and shopping... eh... i'm below level thinking right now.

21. Default Re: Downtown Question

Now, when some of you mention the ATT building, are you referring to the one built in the early 1970s that has a scarcity of windows, or are you referring to the old Pioneer Telephone Building that has the gold honeycomb like microwave relay equipment on top?

To see buildings, go here to Doug's site: Sothwestern Bell Buildings, Downtown Oklahoma City

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Now, when some of you mention the ATT building, are you referring to the one built in the early 1970s that has a scarcity of windows, or are you referring to the old Pioneer Telephone Building that has the gold honeycomb like microwave relay equipment on top?
    The Pioneer Building could be nice if the equipment were removed and the facade restored.

Otherwise, the AT&T building without the windows is sort of a monstrosity.

I don't mind either so much though. Each gives the skyline depth. I'd rather have those buildings than surface parking.

The old WH Stewart Co. buildings on Sheridan east of Bricktown that have been there since statehood and look like that was the last time they were maintained.

The severely dilapidated old quasi-Victorian house setting to the west of the Deep Deuce Apartments.

The OCPD drunk tank directly across the street from the severely dilapidated house west of Deep Deuce.

The corrugated metal shedding nightmare of and around the Fox auto-body repair site.

Not sure of the building name, but it's on the canal and it is boarded up and looks like a war zone.

There are other buildings downtown that aren't what we wish they were, but to me the above are true and absolute eyesores.

Steve, just curious, are you going to do an article with the results from this? Perhaps if the building owners were aware of how ugly their buildings are and how upset the public was maybe they'll consider something?

25. Default Re: Downtown Question

I'll sign a petition if necessary...

Thread Information