Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 17 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Slingers

1. Auto Alley Coffee Slingers

A new coffee shop, Coffee Slingers, just opened up on Broadway and 10th in Automobile Alley.

In my mind, any coffee shop worth its weight in java beans simply must excel in at least two areas, coffee and pastries. This is a low hurdle to cross, but I am amazed at the number of times I've visited a coffee shop and found that hurdle lying on the ground, snapped in half as if this hurdle race was being run by a blindfolded olympian on steroids. Coffee Slingers made it over the hurdle but not without clipping a foot on the bar causing it to lean forward precariously before settling back in place.

Coffee. A cup of coffee should be strong, hot and bottomless. Score one of three for Coffee Slingers. While the coffee was strong enough to survive the flood of cream I poured in, it wasn't hot enough. Not too troubling for me given that when I need my daily fix of coffee, I'll drink coffee even when it's hours old and ice cold. A much more grave fault in my mind is that Coffee Slingers only sells 12 oz cups of coffee. Honestly, I haven't had a 12 oz coffee since I was too young to be drinking coffee, when my brain wasn't jam packed with caffeine receptors, when I could think straight without 20 oz of liquid gold, when I wasn't addicted. As if that wasn't bad enough, Coffee Slingers serves up 12 oz of brew for a pricey $2. I can't imagine a worse insult, but right after leaving Coffee Slingers, I immediately stopped at Wills Coffee Shop on Western to get a proper fix of real coffee.

Pastries. Lest one wants to burn a hole in their gut, strong coffee must be accompanied by a pastry. Croissants, muffins and buns will do, but a good scone is ideal. I'm not sure, but years of experience has lead me to believe that a scone has just the right sponginess and selective absorptivity to sequester any hint of acidity in the coffee while simultaneously catalyzing and speeding the caffeine that naturally seeks out blood flowing to the brain. Yes, Coffee Slinger's scones are so good that they literally snatched the hurdle from the brink of tipping over and settled it square in the lane. There is no place in Oklahoma City with a scone like this. It is unassuming in appearance, delicate and textured, much unlike Starbuck's icing caked uber-scone. Its quite easy to forgive Coffee Slingers for a lack of pastry selection when they serve up scones that ant Brit would be glad to call their own.

Coffee Slingers
    Homepage
    Map
    Blogspot
    Cafevoke review

Default Re: Coffee Slingers

maybe this is a faux pas for the coffee purist... but can i get a frappe at coffee slingers?

-M

3. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    maybe this is a faux pas for the coffee purist... but can i get a frappe at coffee slingers?
    Sacre bleu! That is analogous to asking for ketchup in a 5 star French restaurant.

Anyway, I don't think so.

4. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Party foul... Gasp!

Lol.. I actually have no idea..

I'm happy getting coffee at McDonald's - who am I to say?
    " You've Been Thunder Struck ! "

: ( aww shucks.

so they won't take a couple shots of espresso, mix it with milk, ice, etc. and whirl it around in a blender for me. travesty! what does a guy have to do to get some ketchup in this joint!?!

-M

6. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

I invited the owner to come and say hi here so maybe we can ask him!

I think the owner is a she. In any case, I definitely recommend this place. This is a real coffee shop whose main focus is coffee. And its VERY VERY good. I had to stop myself from going in this week too many times because I was afraid I would creep out the staff.

8. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

This from the blog:

we are open and operational, slinging coffee and pastries for ya'll for real now...Saturday was our first day. Thank you Oklahoma City, all the people who have supported us, fed us,our families our damn hard working selves, patient bosses of day jobs and the roaring enthusiasm of good coffee which is why we are doing this in the first place.

my wonderful wifey,mellie mel, the mastermind work monster behind this thing....tough as nails and a true natural artist....she can sing the blues too, ask her...
    So, I'm not sure who is the owner but I invited them anyway!

9. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by lpecan View Post
    This is a real coffee shop whose main focus is coffee. And its VERY VERY good.
    Some clarification needed. Now there are coffee shops that serve good American style drip coffee and there are coffee shops that serve good espresso coffee drinks. While the best shops master both, many joints will focus on espresso drinks to the detriment of the drip coffee because, I believe, the former is where more money is made. I drink (and buy) so much coffee that in order to avoid depleting my wallet, I'm almost exclusively a drip coffee man. To which type of coffee drink do you refer?

I think "mellie mel" is probably the same melody who just posted in the AAlley thread. In any case, all should support this place. Its a great shop and the more people come down to AAlley the more foot traffic there will be and the more new stuff will pop up.

To which type of coffee drink do you refer?
    I'm talking espresso I guess. That's all I drink. I do know they do all French press coffee for the drip-lovers out there. If you are just getting into coffee, or you think you never liked espresso because you tried to down a 5oz double espresso that was charred (or bold, as they put it) from a big chain, go order a double espresso. You won't be disappointed.

Easy on the wallet? I don't know anywhere that charges more than two bucks for a double shot. I guess if you do some kind of fufu drink it gets expensive, but if that's the case you should skip the formalities and just go buy a milkshake.

11. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

... a double shot. I guess if you do some kind of fufu drink it gets expensive, but if that's the case you should skip the formalities and just go buy a milkshake.
    For me, it's drip or fufu coffee (when I can afford it). I avoid espresso shots because I just don't need any more hair on my chest (or anywhere else for that matter).

Careful not to drink too many espressos or else suffer the fate of this girl.

I've been twice this week, and have been really impressed both times.

I drink two types of coffee:

1. the swill we brew up each morning that comes from the gigantic red plastic container in which I dump so much pre-flavored non-dairy crap that the end product barely resembles anything remotely close to coffee;

2. real coffee with real steamed milk made from a real barrista who knows what they're doing.

Coffee Slammers definitely fits this second bill. I think I stated in an earlier thread that I am so burned out on Starbucks I can't stand going anymore (my husband loves it). And sorry, Java Dave fans, I like the downtown locations, and will occasion it for lunch, but I cannot stand their coffee - it's too oily and it all tastes like coconuts.

The coffee I had at Coffee Slammers is reminiscent of a good Mexican or European cafe-style pour. Deep rich coffee, just bitter enough, full-bodied with a light nuttiness. No flavorings of any kind are needed. I still have to have my usual splenda (although raw sugar on occasion will also fit the bill).

In all, I've gotta say, it was a great cup of Joe. And, I didn't mind at all the 12 oz. servings, as I would rarely drink more than that on any day.

13. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

I enjoy their coffee. I had a good cup here. Strong smooth brew with a lively flavor.
    I like the location and setting, the windows are great.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCCrime View Post
    Careful not to drink too many espressos or else suffer the fate of this girl.
    Haha. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Though I have never gone to the hospital, I've had the espresso fever many times. Its crazy. You get really cold and can't stop shivering. Your mouth is really dry and you can actually hear your heart pounding. Not good.

I typically do a double in the morning and a double in the afternoon. I typically pull them myself, but there's something fun about having someone else make you coffee, not to mention the fact that coffee shops have such diverse character.

Don't worry about the hair. Its a good thing!

15. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Haha. I can't tell you how many times I've done that. Though I have never gone to the hospital, I've had the espresso fever many times. Its crazy. You get really cold and can't stop shivering. Your mouth is really dry and you can actually hear your heart pounding. Not good.
    Wow, I didn't actually believe that such a thing could actually happen. I thought the article was a hoax.

Let us know if your addiction gets worse. I'm sure that I can get a couple OKCTalkers together for an intervention if necessary. Actually, I'm going to go and talk to the baristas at Coffee Slingers and tell them to cut you off after two double espressos. And I thought I was an addict

16. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Yippie, they've got wireless Internet!

Stopped by for a Chia(sp) Tea with vanilla. It was soooooo good.

Really liked the potential of the place. I think it needs more tables (and cooler/hipper tables). Lots of local artwork on the walls would be cool too. I could even see some evening live music for a nice touch. Food items were sparce and very high in fat/calories for the most part. I'd add some fresh fruit to the selection and sandwiches once things get going well.

But, all that aside, I liked it and would go back.

The bike shop next door is way cool also.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper View Post
    Yippie, they've got wireless Internet!

Stopped by for a Chia(sp) Tea with vanilla. It was soooooo good.
    LOL!! Sorry, I normally hate picking out misspellings, but this one was too good to pass up!

The yummy spiced tea is called (and spelled) CHAI (like Thai).

Now, if you really want to grow hair (or something else) on your head - and not just your chest - then a CHIA would be the perfect thing to order.

Last edited by FritterGirl; 04-07-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: fixed my quotes

I wonder if the inventor of the Chia pet has a cha cha cha chia house? You know, build an adobe house and then spray the lawn hose on it then get a giant pack of chia seeds and spread em on the house.

Wow, I didn't actually believe that such a thing could actually happen. I thought the article was a hoax.

Let us know if your addiction gets worse. I'm sure that I can get a couple OKCTalkers together for an intervention if necessary. Actually, I'm going to go and talk to the baristas at Coffee Slingers and tell them to cut you off after two double espressos. And I thought I was an addict
    Nah... that wouldnt help. It rarely happens. In fact, it only happens intentionally. I'm a night-student, so when I rekindle my youth and pull an all-nighter, 6-7 espressos is the only way to go. If you start drinking at like 9, you feel good till about 4. After that, 4-10am are rarely fun, especially since you are at work by then. I guess since I so infrequently get drunk, I feel the need to have some other unhealthy addiction. At least alcohol doesnt change the color of your teeth.

I actually have friends I went to college with that are worse. We found a classic la pavoni europiccola machine back then at a thrift store which started our problem. One of them took a road trip a few months ago, and would have to call me every two to three hours to guide him to an espresso join in such urban metropoleis as Rolla, Mo.

Unfortunately, I've never been to a good shop in a small town. Good [espresso] shops go out of business a lot because good beans are expensive. Good baristi are expensive and even the best barista with the best equipment will have to pour out shots now and then. In a world of 20 oz mocha latti, its tough to taste a good shot over a mediocre one, and often the investment in pulling that good shot gets little to no return.

I guess thats why I am so adamant about supporting good coffee shops (I think now 20% of my posts on this site are about the subject). I also think that its great that there are three very good shops here in town. I think there's (in my unprofessional opinion) only one decent one in Houston, and only two in Austin. I'd urge people to try it, and see what they're missing. The part of town where coffeeslingers is will be a tough market, with Java Dave's, Uncommon Grounds, Starbucks, the Buzz, The upcoming coffee shop in Maywood park, etc, all within a mile. We'll have to see.

20. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

The part of town where coffeeslingers is will be a tough market, with Java Dave's, Uncommon Grounds, Starbucks, the Buzz, The upcoming coffee shop in Maywood park, etc, all within a mile. We'll have to see.
    Although I didn't talk about it in my original post, I thought the same thing. I was trying to figure out to which customers Coffee Slingers is trying to cater. I think that the crowd that picks up coffee on the way to work is not likely. The street parking is awful on weekdays and without a dedicated lot, people will go to Java Daves one block east just for the sake of convenience (not quality for sure). Moreover, there is little reason for the hospital lunch crowd to stop by, given Coffee Slingers limited food choices. It seems their only reliable/repeat customers will be office workers on Broadway willing to walk over. I don't know how many that is or will be after all the construction in the area finishes up, but hopefully it will be enough. I wonder if the business owner had an actual business plan that outlined a strategy or if it was a fly by the seat of the pants approach. Too bad we never heard from the owner or employees for that matter.

Although I didn't talk about it in my original post, I thought the same thing. I was trying to figure out to which customers Coffee Slingers is trying to cater. I think that the crowd that picks up coffee on the way to work is not likely. The street parking is awful on weekdays and without a dedicated lot, people will go to Java Daves one block east just for the sake of convenience (not quality for sure). Moreover, there is little reason for the hospital lunch crowd to stop by, given Coffee Slingers limited food choices. It seems their only reliable/repeat customers will be office workers on Broadway willing to walk over. I don't know how many that is or will be after all the construction in the area finishes up, but hopefully it will be enough. I wonder if the business owner had an actual business plan that outlined a strategy or if it was a fly by the seat of the pants approach. Too bad we never heard from the owner or employees for that matter.
    I remember reading somewhere that it was financed by the owner of the cardinal engineering building, and I know it has been planned for a long time. Like I've indicated, if they can draw in the quality crowd, it is likely to work. Also, I'd give it some time, since if AAlley becomes lively at night between RedPrime and Tenth, a good coffee shop could do very well.I imagine they are counting on two types of people. A) people like me who used to drive 7 mi to Coco Flow to get a good shot and B) people coming off I-235 at 10th. Parking may hurt (B) though. I also think they'll need some decent outside seating in order to make it attractive. I really think it can work, depending on if AAlley rents are as ridiculous as BT rents, since BT developers seem content to sit on vacant proerties hoping for a big payday. If they're not, maybe you'll see a lot of places do well. For property owners in AAlley, its good if theie is more business there, so maybe its in there interests to help places like this survive.

I hope it works!

I went to Coffee Slingers a few weeks ago. It was the best latte I've had in OKC bar none. I'll probably stop there any time I'm running erands or doing anything in OKC.

23. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Don't forget about their new "happy hour" from 12-2 daily.

Yesterday I decided to go in and order me a cappuccino. I've been looking forward to going there since it opened up, especially after reading some of the positive comments here. Well, I guess my taste in coffee is somewhat different than some of you who seem to think that Coffee Slingers makes a decent latte and cappuccino. My experience was different.

First off, I ordered a short, double shot cap, dry. They don't have short sizes, in fact, they don't have small sizes either. All of their coffee drinks come in 12 oz cups. That's OK I suppose, but not typical of how most coffeehouses throughout the US serve their coffee drinks. Anyway, the cap I got was not hot, it was very warm, but nowhere near the 150-155 degrees that it should have been.

Second, I asked for a dry cap (meaning extra foam), but what I got had VERY little foam in it. Not only was there a small amount of foam in it, there was way too much milk in it. Basically, what they served me was a latte, not a cap.

Third, the coffee itself did not have a very strong taste to it. To me it had a licorice taste to it and lacked the bold, rich, smooth, caramelly flavor that a good cap should have. I suppose a lot of people prefer a less bold tasting cap, but for me, I like it to have a rich bold taste to it.

Not related to the coffee, but I was unimpressed with the breakfast danish they offered there--not a lot of variety either. Hopefully, as time goes on they'll find some better products to serve.

I really didn't get the sense that the people who run this place have a business plan that they are adhering to. OKCCrime made a similar observation. It seems they are kind of doing a "trial and error" thing *hoping* to make it work. If they want to become a successful coffeehouse they need to give their customers a reason to WANT to go back. There was nothing that made me want to go back after my first visit there. I think the place has a lot of potential, it's a nice looking place, a little plain looking, but that's something that can easily be adjusted as time goes on.

I really hope they make it. It would be nice to have a cool place where we can get our coffee fixes downtown rather than having to go to Starbucks for it. I know there's Java Daves, but......

Off topic and probably irrelevant, their sign out front looks like they did it themselves as well. Basically it looks like they ordered the vinyl letters from a shop and decided to save the $20 bucks and put it on themselves instead of having the pro's do it. The letters are crooked and look funny if you're walking/driving by.

Thread Information