Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee Slingers

Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by OKCCrime View Post

My money is on a violent dispute (over coffee?), or just someone with a (coffee?) grudge vandalizing the store. Straight up robbery is very low on my list of reasonable explanations.
    Straight up robbery may be low on my list of reasonable explanations too, but even lower is the story about a guy getting enraged over ice coffee and taking a bar stool and crashing it into their window, right in front of them...

2. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

So I went to the source of this story, a friend of a friend, who listens to the police band.
    OKCCRIME, what is your friend using to listen to the police band radio?

My grandfather used to love to sit and listen to the police band. Even more so than the TV or radio for his entertainment.

However, a couple of years ago he put the Radio Shack scanner away because OCPD had gone to a different technology. Gramps inquired with Radio Shack but was told there are no retail police scanners that will now pick up their dispatches.

I'd love to surprise him this Christmas with a radio that will do the trick. Any ideas?

BailJumper,

RadioShack is no longer a place you can expect to find anyone who actually knows what they're talking about. Trust me. I worked there for over 8 years. There are people who know, but they are now few and far between. At any rate, after a quick bit of Googling, I have the solution from a pretty credible source. I'll credit the answer to Skip Sanders on the Radio Reference.com board.

What they're telling you is that no scanner, including yours, can receive 'provoice' signals. It's a modulation/encoding scheme that's not public, not licensed to scanner makers, and available only by buying a commercial radio designed for it.

IF you buy a Pro-Voice capable commercial radio, and IF you can get all the programming info you need for it, and IF it can be programmed on the particular system to receive without ever transmitting to the system to affiliate (some systems, this is not possible), and IF they aren't using special features like ESK that prohibit even a commercial ProVoice radio from working unless it has the special secret key they have for the system, and IF they aren't encrypting the signals on top of everything else, you could monitor the system.

Expensive, and tricky. And may or may not be possible.
    -- He has a HAM license, so I assume the man knows what he's talking about.

Mcbee04, I bet that the barista you called was probably told by the owner it was a break-in, especially if it was the owner in the altercation, to avoid the embarrassment.
    I'm sorry, but your friend is incorrect. The window was intact when Coffee Slingers closed that night and broken when my friend (a manager) opened the next morning. She just spent this morning convincing FOX news that their source on the incident was unreliable to say the least.

5. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by mcbee04 View Post
    I'm sorry, but your friend is incorrect.
    Friend of a friend. Like I said. I don't know the guy very well.

Quote Originally Posted by BailJumper
    What is your friend using to listen to the police band radio?
    Absolutely no idea, and from what I understand he's not interested in sharing. Hell, for all I know he could be getting his info through a friend in the force. Or he could even be making it all up. I wouldn't put it past him.

Quote Originally Posted by mecarr
    Straight up robbery may be low on my list of reasonable explanations too, but even lower is the story about a guy getting enraged over ice coffee and taking a bar stool and crashing it into their window, right in front of them.
    Agreed, I think I fell for the Frappucino Theory. A normal dispute ending in a chair being thrown through a window seems much more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by mcbee04
    She just spent this morning convincing FOX news that their source on the incident was unreliable to say the least.
    If getting tips from OKCTalk is FOX news' approach to investigative reporting, that's sad, very sad indeed.

6. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Really now, what do you expect from FOX 25?

They obviously didn't listen when Barry Trammel clearly explained what BBSes are all about.

I don't watch t.v. but did someone say that on the news... that's really funny... the truth of anything is usually very banal and run of the mill...It was just a robbery of very small change in the middle of the night....It doesn't even matter who or what...alarm laziness rectification is in order i suppose.....

and a folding chair,flimsy as they are would never go through double panes, each a quarter of an inch thick with a space between them....wierd how the spicing of boring stories is almost a reflex of ours in this here modern world of instant ill communication...It's interesting to see where the collective mind goes with things....lie the old school yard "fight ,fight, fight"...where?

10. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Yeah I had a feeling it was a severely embellished or made up story from the beginning.

11. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by yadillah nai View Post
    and a folding chair,flimsy as they are would never go through double panes, each a quarter of an inch thick with a space between them....
    I've seen chairs at coffee slingers that aren't folding or flimsy. Something went through that window. If your window specifications are correct, it would have had to be something big.

Quote Originally Posted by yadillah nai
    It was just a robbery of very small change in the middle of the night
    For the reasons I mentioned before, I don't believe that is a plausible conclusion at all. Someone would have to be an idiot to break such large and hefty windows for the slim chance of finding cash on the premise after closing (when people typically deposit any cash in a bank, or in a locked safe!). Plus, the criminal would have had to literally crawl through tons of broken glass shards to gain entry, especially given the size of the hole. Nope, even the stupidest robber would have gone for the bike shop next door - same chances of finding cash (low) but much higher chances of getting valuable merchandise.

12. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

and a folding chair,flimsy as they are would never go through double panes, each a quarter of an inch thick with a space between them....wierd how the spicing of boring stories is almost a reflex of ours in this here modern world of instant ill communication...It's interesting to see where the collective mind goes with things....lie the old school yard "fight ,fight, fight"...where?
    You just don't know how to throw one properly.

I have had 2 windows broken by vandals in the last 30 days in or near the downtown area. The glass company told me they had over 100 calls in July to repair these types of break-ins...all downtown to NW 23rd.

Crimes like this always increase when the weather heats up.

14. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    I have had 2 windows broken by vandals in the last 30 days in or near the downtown area.
    Your place on 23rd is in a really bad part of town, so I would reasonably expect vandalism. I have the impression that Broadway is much safer - more secluded from low income - high crime neighborhoods.

The glass company told me they had over 100 calls in July to repair these types of break-ins...all downtown to NW 23rd.
    Interesting. I guess that I will have the revise my initial impressions of crime in Automobile Alley.

Crimes like this always increase when the weather heats up.
    Thus the plausibility of the Frappucino Theory.

Most areas in the metro have bad areas for borders. These guys broke these windows from Reno to nw 23rd / Classen to Broadway Extension. Very amateur and petty.

I think if there was an arguement, and someone threw something through a window the police would have been called and there would be a report. There also would be one if there was a break in. Might start there.

17. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

Most areas in the metro have bad areas for borders.
    No - not really. Here's the crime map of Broadway for all crimes in 2007:

As can be seen, the areas around Coffee Slingers (10th & Broadway) - and Red Prime - have pretty low crime rates. There is a slight elevation in crime rates for Automobile Alley proper. Automobile Alley is really quite safe. Especially compared to the area around Cheevers (near 23rd and Broadway). The area beginning at 23rd & Broadway and continuing NE to Paseo is just not safe at all.

18. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

well that stinks. hopefully they were able to repair the window for a reasonable price.

whatever the reason, it's a frustrating expenditure for a new business. well any business, really.

drugs are expensive,people are desperate...

20. Default Re: Coffee Slingers

No - not really. Here's the crime map of Broadway for all crimes in 2007:

As can be seen, the areas around Coffee Slingers (10th & Broadway) - and Red Prime - have pretty low crime rates. There is a slight elevation in crime rates for Automobile Alley proper. Automobile Alley is really quite safe. Especially compared to the area around Cheevers (near 23rd and Broadway). The area beginning at 23rd & Broadway and continuing NE to Paseo is just not safe at all.
    One must go NW from 23rd and Broadway to reach Paseo.

Talking Coffee Slingers Coffee cupping’s “tastings”

COFFEE ☆ SLINGERS This place has wonderful everything

Default Re: Coffee Slingers Coffee cupping’s “tastings”

COFFEE ☆ SLINGERS This place has wonderful everything
    That was not my experience when I went there.

Default Re: Coffee Slingers Coffee cupping’s “tastings”

{passing along a little cutting and pasting)

Hailing all Coffee Slingers customers,

Taking an opportunity to thank you all for your business and for helping us support and continue to develop the availability of quality,freshly roasted coffees and hand crafted espresso in Oklahoma. We will be roasting in the future and your continued support and positivity inspires and confirms this decision.

Drink Coffee...
    Thanks,
    Coffee Slingers

Coffee Cupping on Saturday

COME TO THE cuPPING of the New coffees on the 6th of September...Saturday at 2 pm..
    come early,first come first serve ..Forward this info to your friends,neighbors and dear associates who might like to join a cupping with us or just haven't had a chance to enjoy a handcrafted espresso based beverage yet. Our website is up and functioning...Check in for info COFFEE ☆ SLINGERS

Default Coffee Slingers 2

I spoke with a very good source that told me that Coffee Slingers is barely making it. I really hope this place makes it as it is a great addition to Automobile Alley. I think it just shows you how hard it is to make a profit off of selling coffee, especially in this economy.

Default re: Coffee Slingers

Quote Originally Posted by mecarr View Post
    I spoke with a very good source that told me that Coffee Slingers is barely making it. I really hope this place makes it as it is a great addition to Automobile Alley. I think it just shows you how hard it is to make a profit off of selling coffee, especially in this economy.
    Sorry, I'm afraid they aren't gonna make it. Hate to see them fail, but from my experience, they're not very friendly, nor are they responsive to their customers suggestions, at least that's been my experience. They recently changed to a better brand coffee for their cappuccino drinks, but the cappuccino and latte's are not very hot. I asked if I could get my cappuccino a little bit hotter next time I came in, the guy that served me became very defensive and told me that "this is the way it's supposed to be". Then he went on to explain why it couldn't be hotter, blah, blah, blah. I've been drinking cappuccino's for thirty years, and have been in coffee houses all over the United States, and that was the first time I've ever heard anyone tell me why a cappuccino had to be 145 degrees. If Coffee Slingers wants to do it "their way" and not give customers what they want, sadly, they aren't going to be around long. I hope they don't go out of business, but if they do, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Thread Information