Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Norman Music Festival

Default Re: Norman Music Festival

Leon Russell is going to close the Jagermeister Stage on Sunday the 25th.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    I can understand the lawn chair issue (would be nice to sit and relax), but does one need easy and cheap access to liquor to enjoy music!!
    Yes

I can understand the lawn chair issue (would be nice to sit and relax), but does one need easy and cheap access to liquor to enjoy music!!
    Need and want are two different things. I like to have a beer or two while relaxing and listening to music. I don't NEED it but I WANT it. I've attended many Groovefests and Summer Breeze's where alchoholic beverages were allowed(no vendors selling it) and I've never seen any problems with people getting out of control. Maybe Groovefest and SB attracts a calmer crowd than the NMF.

I have to ask whether this is a festival of music or a venue for vendors to hike prices for profit? I see no other reason to not allow lawn chairs and your own ice chest. Doesn't matter, I've not gone to it yet and this year won't be an exeption.

Don't know about the beer sales, but the last year the coke sales were not done by vendors, but were done by volunteers, and the proceeds went to the Arts Council to support the show and keep it free. Could be the same with the beer sales.

Dissapointed the main day is Sunday this year. Shocking - but some of us actually have to go to work the next day. Kind of tough to stay out late on a Sunday night.

My thanks to all who state they are not going because of a couple of changes (liquor and lawn chairs), last years festival was very crowded at times and there were many that were more interested in booze then good music. Hopefully there will be more that share your opinion, making more room for us that attend to enjoy the music.
    I didn't drink either. It's the Sunday thing more than anything for me on why I'm not going. But there isn't anyone worth going to see this year anyway. So enjoy!

ill probably go even though there are only like 5 bands i really care to see. And i like indie music but i think they really need to open it up to more than just one or two genres of music.

I will still go, but the way the event is being managed has taken a huge turn for the worse. The bottom line is that if the event coordinators don't consider what will get people to the event, then it won't last. That is my concern. I agree that NMF is the best thing to happen in the metro for years. I want to see grow to it's full potential and this years changes are a huge step in the wrong direction.

On a positive note, the NMF has some side attractions this year. The Dustbowl Arts Market is nearby and the Lions Carnival is moving back to downtown after being elsewhere for 15 years. Here's an article from the Transcript.
    Eight events make city a staycation destination Headlines The Norman Transcript

i was down at the Diner last week and got to thinking that the Vista building needs to reopen. i'd like to check the view during the festival. anyone know what's up with that building? the weather looks great for the weekend!

NMF is good for Norman and could grow into something really big.

Anyone else go to this? What were your thoughts?

I went. It didn't seem as big as last year in terms of attendance (probably because it was on Sunday) and the music wasn't nearly as good quality as last year's festival (in my opinion). Still, there were an impressive number of people downtown that probably poured some nice money into the surrounding businesses.

weather was great! attendance did seem to be down some over last year's, which made it a little easier to get around. less drunk knuckleheads stumbling around also, more than likely due to the new rules not letting outside drink being brought in... i liked the food court area, although lines seemed to be a little long at times. i enjoyed the bands, but there were some bands that i really wanted to see anyway that i got to, so i have some bias in that regards... overall i think it's a great thing for norman and the area and i hope they keep it going and keep it free.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    i was down at the Diner last week and got to thinking that the Vista building needs to reopen. i'd like to check the view during the festival. anyone know what's up with that building? the weather looks great for the weekend!
    A while back, serious structural issues required the building to be vacated and then rehabilitation work began. The work continues.

I went on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised. There were some great improvements. Things were more organized this year with schedules placed around and better variety of vendors. The music was good and the crowd was well behaved, although could have shown better support earlier in the day. This is the best "people watching" event ever. Not the best pic, but did anyone see this thing?

Christine is not a thing.

The monsters name is Christine?

No, Christine is the lady standing to the left of it.

So what was the deal with pets? The NMF3 website said it was okay to bring dogs before 6 p.m., but I've heard Norman police were turning people with dogs away?

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    So what was the deal with pets? The NMF3 website said it was okay to bring dogs before 6 p.m., but I've heard Norman police were turning people with dogs away?
    I didn't see any of that. I saw a ton of dogs there, even after 6.

I concur with king183...lots of dogs there and and accidentally stepped on a dog that was out there for the final act.

Looks like a switch back to Saturday with outside stages...potentially great news depending on da bands

http://m.newsok.com/s?s=16&a=3521568&f=entertainment

NORMAN — The 2011 Norman Music Festival is doing the bunny hop, jumping a weekend to accommodate the Easter holiday weekend

Norman Music Festival 4 now is set for April 28 through 30, a week later than the original dates organizers recently announced.

Although it won't be on its usual weekend, plans are still in place to expand the free event from two to three days, with the festivities spanning Thursday through Saturday. The first two days will take place primarily inside various Norman venues.

For the 2011 festival, Saturday will be the big day, when outdoor stages go up in downtown Norman. Although next year's festival won't extend through Sunday, concerns were raised that the Easter weekend dates would conflict with Good Friday church services and Easter egg hunts, 2011 festival chairman Robert Ruiz said.

Thanks, Easy.

Looks like Keller Williams is headlining the Jäger stage Saturday night...Pretty nice grab

Not sure what to think of this lineup. Seems like a whole lot of rockabilly.

Thread Information