Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 110 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141560 ... LastLast

Thread: First Americans Museum

Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by dismayed View Post
    Agree, it's an exciting project. I don't see how anyone can think otherwise when it is going to be a S M I T H S O N I AN M U S E U M.
    I personally think it will be pretty cool...but dont get to excited about the Smithsonian thing....it is intending to be a Smithsonian affiliate, much like 140 other museums in the country.

https://affiliations.si.edu/AffilDir....Asp?MenuID=11

I see the Oklahoma History Museum and Science Museum Oklahoma are already Smithsonian affiliates.

3. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Ehh. I see now. Well I hope that this museum will achieve greater presence than those two other "Smithsonian affiliates."

What's more important than being a Smithsonian affiliate is being an AAM (American Association of Museums) accredited museum. The process is rigorous but well worth it.

http://www.okmuseums.org/about-oma/f...elin_faq103_14

As of March 2009, Oklahoma has 11 accredited museums.
    Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art University of Oklahoma, Norman
    Gilcrease Museum, Tulsa
    Museum of the Great Plains, Lawton
    National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum, Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City Museum of Art, Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City National Memorial Museum, Oklahoma City
    Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden, Oklahoma City
    Philbrook Museum of Art, Tulsa
    Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History University of Oklahoma, Norman Science Museum Oklahoma, Oklahoma City
    Tulsa Zoo & Living Museum, Tulsa

Doesn't matter if it doesn't get completed, does it now?

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWestOKC View Post
    Doesn't matter if it doesn't get completed, does it now?
    It will be completed, the entire project is funded by the State of Oklahoma with some federal grants and eventually a capital campaign.

Article 2 of the Oklahoma Constitution
    No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

__________________________________________________ __________

I know that there is an attorney who is considering filing a lawsuit against the state because of the State funds that were used to construct the 'dirt pile', since it is a religious monument. If the court rules State funding unconstitutional then that could set us back even further, epessially is they require that the state be refunded.

Eh, I don't know if I would have put that out there. Attorneys, like businessmen, don't like it potential deals (read: suits) are aired out like that. They usually like to keep their cards close to the vest...

Blog Entries

Having a cultural heritage center that displays a culture's religious environment, artifacts, etc. as part of their history and culture is not the same as funding a religion. This is why lawyers get a bad name...filing frivolous lawsuits that cost us the taxpayers money to defend. Lawyers can be like little kids throwing a fit but with much more damaging tantrums.

Quote Originally Posted by sethsrott View Post
    Article 2 of the Oklahoma Constitution
    No public money or property shall ever be appropriated, applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use, benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest, preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or sectarian institution as such.

__________________________________________________ __________

I know that there is an attorney who is considering filing a lawsuit against the state because of the State funds that were used to construct the 'dirt pile', since it is a religious monument. If the court rules State funding unconstitutional then that could set us back even further, epessially is they require that the state be refunded.
    You raise a really interesting point. I would contend that this is somewhat different, but I would concede that my own point of view is somewhat dismissing Indian religions as Greek mythology, which is kind of a bigoted truth perhaps. And then there's the hypocritical standpoint of throwing money at "cool religions" or "diverse religions" as long as it isn't Christianity, Judaism, or Islam.

It's a dilemma. This is a good project, though. Especially if we can keep the deal in place with the tribes and the state splitting the remaining construction costs..the one that was in place before the state moved on.

11. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I took 15 photos, available in high resolution, of the CAI grounds on September 23 and they are here: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.ph...465#post363465

Quote Originally Posted by Architect2010 View Post
    Ehh. I see now. Well I hope that this museum will achieve greater presence than those two other "Smithsonian affiliates."
    Just curious, what would be your specific issue with the Oklahoma History Center?

http://www.newsok.com/feed/construct..._headline_news

Construction to continue at American Indian Cultural Center in Oklahoma City
    $6 million in federal stimulus funds will help to keep construction going at cultural center in Oklahoma City. (Oklahoman, 10/1/10)

At the construction site, the gallery space is nearly complete. The building stretches across the site and flows into a large promontory mound — the large hill that can be seen from Interstate 35. Workers put the finishing touches on a native stone entry where 100,000 stones were laid.

The white steel support beams of the Hall of the People are in place and cast a shadow across the construction site.

Creation of a center to highlight Oklahoma's American Indian heritage has been in the works for more than a decade. The Native American Cultural and Educational Authority was created in 1994 to design, establish and sell bonds to build the facility. It's on land donated by Oklahoma City.

The museum complex, which is expected to include lodging and art galleries, will be complete by 2015 if lawmakers approve the bond issue next session, Timberman said. The development, off Eastern Avenue and Interstate 40, is expected to bring in nearly $7.5 million in state tax revenue a year, Timberman said.

That is good news that they will not have to cease or demobilize the contractors on site, that can cost far more than most realize. Not only in the additional costs that the contractors will charge for having to stop but then to re-mobilize to the site and then there is the risk that key personel might get relocated to work on projects that are going on in others areas of the state or country even. The contractor cannot afford nor should be expected to have highly paid quality employees just hanging out in limbo, waiting for the eventuality of funds, which may or may not happen in this world of financial uncertainty.

So a big hats off to the Govenor for his insight and being willing to front the money needed to keep them going until the next legislative session. Lets hope that the legislators are not asleep at the wheel or shortighted when it comes to approving the sale of the bonds needed to finish what we have started. The sooner it is completed the sooner it can generate tax revenues and draw patrons from around the country.

15. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by muzique808 View Post
    Just curious, what would be your specific issue with the Oklahoma History Center?
    Sorry for the late reply. It's nothing really bad, because that museum is really rather well done. I wasn't knocking it, however it kind of leaves something to be desired? I could literally walk through it in 1 hour and see everything that I'd want to. I'm hoping this new American Indian Cultural Center is a really vivid, memorable, and interactive one and will make me want to come back, which the OHC doesn't do for me. But to each their own.

I'm really hoping that the AICCM get's finished in a timely manner. They still need 82 million dollars!?

So is it not opening until 2015 or just the complex won't be complete until 2015, that seems unclear. I would imagine they would want to open what they can in 2011 or 2012 and then open other aspects of the project as funding and deadlines are met.

17. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

The visitors center has been open for some time, my wife tells me.

Here are some recent aerials from AICCM's Facebook page:

19. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Nice. I'm wondering, though, what Indian magic was done to make the Oklahoma River water blue.

20. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

The river always appears blue from a distance. Especially from such a great distance as those pictures which allows for greater refraction of light via the water to the eye and oila! Crystal blue water. It isn't until you're up close to the river that you see that it's not so blue.

21. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I know it's not done yet but I am kind of underwhelmed with the whole thing.

Very Awesome shots. Thanks for sharing those

23. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by worthy cook View Post
    I know it's not done yet but I am kind of underwhelmed with the whole thing.
    You might like a look through their website. Maybe you will like what you see there: general front page and here's a descriptive video

Are they still making any progress on this project or have the funds run out yet?

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Are they still making any progress on this project or have the funds run out yet?
    still lots of work being done at the site and another building getting close to being finished

Thread Information