Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 110 FirstFirst 1234567891055105 ... LastLast

Thread: First Americans Museum

Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by sethsrott View Post
    Capital Campaign

They have a list of the major donors, they also are about $75M away from having full funding.

Notice all the donors are state or city related, where are the donations from the tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    For the record, the city did not pay anything close to $80 million for the convention center study. I'll ask and find out the cost, but likely it was in the low six figures or less.
    You'd better check with the chamber of commerce, not the city. pretty sure it was a chamber-funded study.

Blog Entries

You can't seriously believe a study cost $80 Million. Maybe $80 thousand. Let's get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    You can't seriously believe a study cost $80 Million. Maybe $80 thousand. Let's get real.
    No, I don't think anyone seriously thinks that. I think the initial mention of $80 Million for the study was sarcasm.

5. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

No one seems to be talking about this, but the museum construction is coming along. You can see it well from I-40. Apparently they found funding.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    LOL...I don't know. If the Government is involved.....

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    No one seems to be talking about this, but the museum construction is coming along. You can see it well from I-40. Apparently they found funding.
    I hadn't noticed, but I will look the next time I drive by. I am happy it is finally covered with vegetation. I didn't really want to have the "world's largest anthill" distinction for our city. This, when completed, will be a great thing to have, obviously for our Native American residents, but also for ourselves and visitors.

From their website:

May - December 2009

* Gallery Building and East Wing Structural Steel Erection
    * Issue contracts for partial mechanical, electrical, and sprinkler work
    * Installation of structural wood beams and roof deck (GB & EW)
    * Installation of metal roof and wall systems
    * Installation of exterior stud wall systems
    * Completion of promontory seeding of native grasses

Also:

Capital Campaign Goal: 177.5 Million

Funds Raised to date: (Figures as of March 17, 2009)
    State of Oklahoma $66.3M
    Federal Government $7.5M
    City of Oklahoma City $4.9M
    Private, Tribal and Other Sources $4.2M
    Total Funds Raised $82.9M

As a genealogist, I can assure you that most of us (families that have been here for 5 or 6 generations) are much more Native American than we sometimes are aware. Glad to see this project coming along... if it is .

Anybody know about the hotel and convention space that they said will be here?

Drove by about an hour or so ago coming back North on I-35 from Dallas. Looks like they erected a big "bandshell" type structure that looms higher than the dirt mound. They must have done this in the last 2-3 days as it was not there a few days ago. It appears like a significant change to the area. If someone can get pics it would be worth a drive over there to shoot the progress.

They had 3 of them up last Monday and the rest of them were up by Thursday night.. I can't wait to see the museum finished!

anybody get pictures of how this is coming along?

Not sure if this was posted but here's a week-ago article in the Edmond Sun:

1st column goes up on American Indian museum Local News The Edmond Sun

they're still saying 5 years to finish.

Here's the article (I paste it because often these links are later broken and it's one of the few articles that have these specifics):

March 16, 2010
    1st column goes up on American Indian museum
    Local architect’s Hall of People design begins assembly

Rachel Sheets
    Special to The Sun

OKLA. CITY — The first of 10 steel columns at the American Indian Cultural Center and Museum’s Hall of the People was erected and set in place Monday morning.

The Hall of the People will be the most visible architectural feature on the 300-acre museum site southeast of the I-35/I-40 interchange. The facility will be used for meetings, events and galleries.

Edmond architects Hornbeek Blatt and California architects Johnson Fain have spent years designing the museum, which is meant to reflect the values of the American Indians. Hornbeek Blatt has been a part of the project since it began almost 14 years ago.

“This is one of those projects that comes along once in a lifetime,” principal Anthony Blatt said. “To be able to work on it is really an honor.”

The museum, which is being funded by the State of Oklahoma, reflects all Native American tribes that were forced to relocate from their homelands to Indian Territory in the 1830s, said David Hornbeek, principal of Hornbeek Blatt Architects.

Within the next few weeks, 10 columns, 10 arching trusses and one arching rainbow truss will be assembled on the site to form the Hall of People. The 10 columns and trusses represent the estimated 10 miles Native Americans traveled daily to Indian Territory during the forced removal.

After much research and talking with native communities, the architects included many symbolic designs to help tell the American Indian origin and legacy that is part of Oklahoma history.

Hornbeek is devoted and passionate about the museum, on which he has spent more time than any project yet.

“I’ve become radical about getting this story out, because there are things to be learned from the American Indians and our state history,” he said.

The Hall of People will be enclosed in glass representing a lens and a prism to clearly see the multiple differences among the tribes of Oklahoma.

“When you enter into it and look through the glass, we hope that you will refocus your thoughts on Native Americans and see things differently,” Hornbeek said.

The Hall of the People will also be a connector to galleries, an exhibit hall and a library.

Hornbeek Blatt estimates that the museum will be completed in five years.

“When it is completed, I believe it will be the single most important institution that will attract visitors to the state,” Hornbeek said.

Here's a video also from early last week from News 9. They say 2014 completion on the video.

News9.com Videos - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

This is an older photo but shows the awesome skyline and river view from the center.

The large archway they are now erecting will bridge the gap in the main structure under construction:

And here's a short video of them delivering and placing the steel columns:

I'm glad this thread has been brought back to life......and thanks to those of you who posted pics and updates. This will be an awesome addition to OKC when its completed. Theres a great video link on the AICCM website going into detail about the museum.

video: OklaVision

Hey, Pete, it's too bad that the water in the Oklahoma River will never look as good as it does in that graphic there. The sky too....

Where is the entrance to the center going to be, off of Eastern?

This is a VERY important piece to Oklahoma City's future. It gives visitors another reason to stay in downtown and have something to do when they get done going to the memorial and Bricktown.

22. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Hey, Pete, it's too bad that the water in the Oklahoma River will never look as good as it does in that graphic there. The sky too....
    The sky looks like that often...

Yeah... I didn't get the sky comment either.

Quote Originally Posted by Platemaker View Post
    Yeah... I didn't get the sky comment either.
    If you look low toward the horizon, the sky is a green color. I don't think I've ever seen the sky green.... oranges, purples, blues, YES, but GREEN? Not so much. Thank you...

Green before a hailstorm for sure!

Thread Information