Widgets Magazine
Page 106 of 110 FirstFirst ... 656101102103104105106107108109110 LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2733

Thread: First Americans Museum

Default Re: First Americans Museum

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    Is the expansion of the south river trail from I 35 to the Museum and Eagle trail in the work ? It would make sense as it is just one block, I think.
    Yes.

I've been meaning to post these for some time:

Blog Entries

Thanks! Recommend posting in one of the bike trail threads as well

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Tickets go on sale august 1st for its September 18th grand opening:

https://famok.org/
    Going on Sept. 19th and really looking forward to it. Would have reserved the 18th, but football you know.

I’m probably going to wait a bit and hope the crowds die down.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I’m probably going to wait a bit and hope the crowds die down.
    I'm sure it will be crowded but I couldn't resist that $5 bargain price. I can always go back again later if it's so crowded that I miss something I want to see. It does mention that there will be no parking at the museum and a shuttle will be used to get there from another location.

Watching that video on the FAM home page made me realize they need a huge infusion of trees down there!!!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 5alive View Post
    Watching that video on the FAM home page made me realize they need a huge infusion of trees down there!!!
    Yep.

I just took a tour and will later post dozens of photos.

Super impressive and I can see how this could become a national draw; more so than the Cowboy Hall.

The Native American presence, history and culture are one of the few things that make Oklahoma unique.

10. Default Re: First Americans Museum

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I just took a tour and will later post dozens of photos.

Super impressive and I can see how this could become a national draw; more so than the Cowboy Hall.

The Native American presence, history and culture are one of the few things that make Oklahoma unique.
    Curious if it is mostly Oklahoma and Chickasaw oriented or does it cover other tribes?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Curious if it is mostly Oklahoma and Chickasaw oriented or does it cover other tribes?
    It will be focused on the 39 tribes that have their seat of government in Oklahoma.

^

Yes, and they have gone to great lengths to not only include all the tribes, but get their input on all matters.

Think about how complicated it has been to try and please them all. From what I saw, they've done an amazing job.

I have tickets for the grand opening weekend. I remember touring the construction site in…2008. Crazy how long it has taken but glad to see it finished.

Preview of the First Americans Museum

After almost two decades of planning and construction, the elaborate First Americans Museum will be opening on September 18th.

Press release:

OKLAHOMA CITY (July 22, 2021) - The First Americans Museum (FAM) will officially open its doors to the public Sept. 18-19 for a Grand Opening Weekend celebration full of entertainment, cultural demonstrations and activities for the whole family to enjoy.

Tickets go on sale Sunday, Aug. 1, at 10 a.m. for $5 per person, per day and can be purchased exclusively through the museum’s website. Admission for FAM members and children under 3 is free. Due to expected large crowds, all tickets must be purchased in advance of opening weekend.

“We are thrilled to share with the public a premier venue dedicated to the history, art and cultural lifeways of First Americans in Oklahoma. We invite everyone to the long-awaited opening of FAM in September,” said James Pepper Henry, FAM director and CEO. “Those who attend the Grand Opening will be among the first to experience a national treasure that will be enjoyed for decades to come.”

The museum will open at 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, with a tribal procession of 39 distinct tribal nations taking place at 10:30 a.m., followed by remarks from tribal, city and museum leaders. To view a complete list of Grand Opening Weekend entertainment, activities, shopping and dining options, visit famok.org.

During Grand Opening Weekend only, no onsite parking will be available, except for parking provided for visitors with disability parking placard credentials. FAM is finalizing details for offsite paid parking and will provide updates on the museum’s website as more information becomes available. Free parking shuttle services will be available to transport visitors all weekend to and from designated parking sites, starting at 8 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 18, and running throughout the weekend’s scheduled events. The use of rideshare services is strongly encouraged.

To ensure everyone's safety and enjoyment, FAM is following CDC COVID-19 guidelines for large group events. The museum's campus will operate with timed entry tickets to ensure visitors have ample space to observe social distancing. Due to observance of health and safety protocols regarding capacity in enclosed spaces, access to FAM exhibition galleries may be limited on opening weekend. FAM encourages visitors to return on a future date to explore the extensive exhibit galleries.

FAM is committed to providing universal access to our museum’s campus and all events. Please contact FAM to request additional disability accommodations. Advance notice is necessary to arrange for some accessibility needs.

###

About FAM
    First Americans Museum celebrates our shared American history through the collective stories of 39 distinct tribal nations in Oklahoma today. The museum promotes awareness and educates the broader public about the unique cultures, diversity, history, contributions, and resilience of the First American nations. The 175,000 sqft museum is located at 659 First Americans Boulevard in Oklahoma City.

Stunning! What a fantastic addition to Oklahoma City. Looking forward to visiting in person someday.

We will definitely be visiting this before the holidays. It will be interesting to see the programming they have for festivals and education.

Holy moly! What a beautiful development. I expected a lot and that is even better than I imagined.

At first I thought there would be a tunnel inside the mound, that will be cool.

They had quite the fireworks show for the soft open last night, judging by how loud it was in Edgemere at least! Apparently started some fires along I-40, which is funny, as the only other time I'm aware that they've done fireworks which was for a Deadcenter party in 2015 the hill surrounding the museum caught on fire. 2 for 2 (or 0 for 2 depending on your outlook)! Glad it sounds like there wasn't much real damage (which is why I'm making light of it).

Very glad this is done and can't wait to check it out. Look forward to seeing what additional development this spurs in the immediate area.

The overall quality of what I saw yesterday during my visit was outstanding. The gift shop would be great for Christmas shopping, especially for the children's gift offerings.

23. Default Re: First Americans Museum

I have visited all three days since it opened; made the opening ceremony Saturday, visited the galleries and store early Sunday, had lunch in 39 (the wonderful restaurant) there yesterday.the place is an absolute treasure.

In some ways it reminds me of the OKC National Memorial Museum it that it doesn’t shy away from telling some very hard, distressing truths. In fact, hard truths are the dominant aspect of the storytelling in the main gallery downstairs. It’s remarkable and necessary, and I’m proud that the story is being told in this way, without any sugarcoating, here in OKC.

^^^
    You might consider reading Oklahoma native Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz' An Indigenous People's History of the United States as an accompanying text.

I'm looking forward to visiting the museum.

Although I'm looking forward to visiting, they aren't making it very easy with the very limited hours on weekdays (10-5, closed on Tuesday) and 11-5 Sat and Sun. Why no variation? If you just want to run one shift, then have it open on Mondays and Fridays from 12-7. Or Saturday from 9-3. Or ANYTHING that provides more options if increasing hours isn't possible.

Thread Information