Widgets Magazine
Page 100 of 110 FirstFirst ... 509596979899100101102103104105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2733

Thread: First Americans Museum

Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yes. It’s beyond annoying.
    No one who has had a negative response has actually responded to a single thing I have written. I’m fine moving on. I should have known better than to try to bring up these issues here.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I never said you shouldn’t take pride in being American anywhere in my post. I would never say that to anyone. You might want to re-read my post. But, more than that, I'm happy to engage in discussion. I want to learn different perspectives on these issues. I lived the first 29 years of my life in Oklahoma and didn't learn near enough about the Indigenous nations in the state. It's embarrassing. So, I've been doing what I can to learn as an adult. In fact, everything I posted I learned from Indigenous scholars (not to say I represent everything perfectly!). But to just call my post PC and dismiss me is disappointing. I'd be happy to learn from you and share your perspective (if you want) too.
    You seem to imply a couple things and maybe I’m wrong as I need to know my history better on all fronts.

It sounds like you’re insinuating that native Americans shouldn’t support this name change?

3. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I don't particular care for the name, but i'm also just "meh" about it either way. Not because of some political statement, i just think the name is boring. It is, however, descriptive.

I actually like this name more than Native Americans because they weren't native here either. They migrated over the land bridge and were the first settlers of the land, but they didn't just pop into existence here. So First Americans (with the term America covering North/Central/South American and not just the U.S.) seems to be a more accurate representation to me. Similarly, First Nation is a pretty good accurate description. But that's just me.

What i would like to see, is the place freaking open already!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    No one who has had a negative response has actually responded to a single thing I have written. I’m fine moving on. I should have known better than to try to bring up these issues here.
    Because you’ve seemingly become part of the subset of the population that has found a way to be offended by far more issues than the average person and engaging/acknowledging everything that part of the population takes an issue with has become incredibly tiring. Have to high grade the grievances that are worth taking seriously and dismiss over the top complaints like this and being offended by our flagship university’s mascot. Stay woke my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    I don't particular care for the name, but i'm also just "meh" about it either way. Not because of some political statement, i just think the name is boring. It is, however, descriptive.

I actually like this name more than Native Americans because they weren't native here either. They migrated over the land bridge and were the first settlers of the land, but they didn't just pop into existence here. So First Americans (with the term America covering North/Central/South American and not just the U.S.) seems to be a more accurate representation to me. Similarly, First Nation is a pretty good accurate description. But that's just me.

What i would like to see, is the place freaking open already!!!!!!!
    This...100%!!!

I like the name and logo... Big improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    I like the name, but I'm not thrilled with the logo and abbreviation... "FAM". Hopefully folks refer to it by it's full name, and it doesn't become "in" to refer to it as the FAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicker View Post
    +!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I like the name, but I'm not thrilled with the logo and abbreviation... "FAM". Hopefully folks refer to it by it's full name, and it doesn't become "in" to refer to it as the FAM.
    This mirrors my thoughts.

It's an unfortunate name all things considered.

The outrage about Dan's supposed outrage far exceeds his, it seems. All he did was mention some historical context from Indigineous scholars about why some may feel it isn't a great name, and he's met with sarcasm, mockery, and hysteria about needing to leave the United States, political correctness, allegedly being forced to take responsibility for past grievances one had nothing to do with, and other really over-the-top responses. RIP interest in nuanced discussions, I guess.

On that note, I do wonder how much of the difference in interpretation comes down to thinking of the "United States" when hearing "Americans" vs. "people who reside in the American continents (south + north)".

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    The outrage about Dan's supposed outrage far exceeds his, it seems. All he did was mention some historical context from Indigineous scholars about why some may feel it isn't a great name, and he's met with sarcasm, mockery, and hysteria about needing to leave the United States, political correctness, allegedly being forced to take responsibility for past grievances one had nothing to do with, and other really over-the-top responses. RIP interest in nuanced discussions, I guess.

On that note, I do wonder how much of the difference in interpretation comes down to thinking of the "United States" when hearing "Americans" vs. "people who reside in the American continents (south + north)".
    Dan is outraged by everything and it is an OUTRAGE!!!!

Blog Entries

Branding is the game these days and like it or not the FAM thing is super marketable and you just know we're about to have an onslaught of marketing about this place.

15. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Branding is the game these days and like it or not the FAM thing is super marketable and you just know we're about to have an onslaught of marketing about this place.
    ^^^^^

This museum has the potential to be a truly major attraction if done correctly and funded properly. I hope there is room for most all tribes to be included in some way and not just those in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    Good God, people will get pissed off over any stupid thing.
    I hear ya there. The term "Okies" will set off a lot of older citizens of this state.

17. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    ... sarcasm, mockery, and hysteria ... and other really over-the-top responses.
    Just a few of the many reasons I love OKCTalk. The speed these threads go off-topic never ceases to amuse.

Blog Entries

It is what it is. Someone or group of people signed off on this signature. There does appear to be a central color theme that blends in with the Scissortail Park and the new convention center.

Really like the coordination and complementary color blend. It's short and precise.

If they want to tie in with the other properties, then they need a different logo. Like a circular design that mimics the layout of their building.

Blog Entries

The "Oklahoma" instead of "Oklahoma City" bit of the branding is surprising

Blog Entries

Does anyone find it ironic that a bunch of white people on this message board are outraged that Dan might bring up the idea to be sensitive to Native feelings in the name of a museum that purports to be "for" Natives. This is white privilege at its finest.

Just who is this place for and why does it exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Does anyone find it ironic that a bunch of white people on this message board are outraged that Dan might bring up the idea to be sensitive to Native feelings in the name of a museum that purports to be "for" Natives. This is white privilege at its finest.

Just who is this place for and why does it exist?
    So, only native Americans, Indians, Indigenous peoples, first Americans, or whatever you choose are supposed to utilize this facility?

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    There does appear to be a central color theme that blends in with the Scissortail Park and the new convention center.

Really like the coordination and complementary color blend. It's short and precise.
    I hadn't caught that... don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's cool. Hopefully we'll see this trend continue.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I hadn't caught that... don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's cool. Hopefully we'll see this trend continue.
    Kind of reminds me of branding cities use when they host the Olympics.

25. Default Re: American Indian Cultural Center

I assume it is intentional. I've got some friends in the design industry that have been working with the state in a program to completely rebrand all aspects of the state in terms of image, marketing, etc. I would guess this might be part of that effort.

Thread Information