Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NE Youth Center

Northeast OKC NE Youth Center

Youth center planned for NE OKC

City council will vote tomorrow to authorize the finalization for plans for a large youth recreation center in northeast Oklahoma City.

The project would be the first modern multi-purpose recreation center for the Parks and Recreation Department in over 40 years.

The 33,700 square foot building would be built near Douglass High School and feature two large gyms, an indoor pool, fitness equipment, social and learning areas, locker rooms and a child watch center.

If the item is approved, the design by Frankfurt Short Bruza would be finalized next spring with construction starting in the summer.

The cost is budgeted at $13.5 million and the targeted completion date is summer 2020.

The new center would replace an adjacent facility built over 75 years ago.

As a part of MAPS4, the December ballot will include $110 million in funding for at least four more similar youth centers to be constructed throughout the city.

Blog Entries

Default Re: NE Youth Center

Thanks for the renderings Pete of this center, let's hope they stay on pace to complete the youth centers with the approval of MAPS 4.

The city usually does (one for each quadrant of the city) when it comes to this type of services. A fifth center seems odd.

This is small, but I'm glad they are doing something. When i look at the renderings I already feel cramped. I dont like it, seems subpar in almost every way.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasOkie086 View Post
    This is small, but I'm glad they are doing something. When i look at the renderings I already feel cramped. I dont like it, seems subpar in almost every way.
    How large are the other centers? This is almost 34,000 sq feet so how is it in comparison with the others?

6. Default Re: NE Youth Center

Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    The city usually does (one for each quadrant of the city) when it comes to this type of services. A fifth center seems odd.
    I believe this makes way for the current Henrietta Foster Community Center on NE 4th to be closed and renovated into a "Center for Minority Small Business Development and Entrepreneurship" as a part of MAPS 4

More than the size, although that is what i alluded to, i'm just not a fan of the overall layout and the way the space if used. I think they will open short of storage space. Also, i get the need for some fun attractions in the pool/water area, but why not provided the minimum lanes necessary for youth competitive swimming? Again, I'm glad they are doing this, but it looks like the bare minimum.

I tend to agree with DallasOkie...it just doesn't look right...at least from the renderings

9. Default Re: NE Youth Center

and top it all off; little if any sidewalks, lighting, bike lanes, or apparent transit connectivity from the beginning. but there sure is a parking lot with sparse landscaping.

uggh...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

10. Default Re: NE Youth Center

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    How large are the other centers? This is almost 34,000 sq feet so how is it in comparison with the others?
    The rec centers here in S Denver Metro sre running in the 55,000 sf range.

I’m not understanding the hate on this. Isn’t it the first center of its kind? Why should this center construction include the addition of bike lanes? Sidewalks already exist in this area. The pool looks great and fun for children. Bigger pools are always better obviously. Weird this is being hated on.

I do't hate it but I find it odd that it doesn't appear to have an activity room for private classes or activities. (yoga, zoomba, karate, etc) The activity area is shown as the long hallway lounge that is basically a really wide hallway. Also, the locker rooms seem to take up a lot of space and divide the building.

I think this is my biggest concern too. In Dallas they run around 50,000 sqft.

Some cities choose to separate the water works area but the total us usually bigger with room to grow.

Press release:

Vote on the interior color scheme for OKC Parks’ new Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center
    05/14/2020

Visit okc.gov/willa by May 26 to see options and vote on the interior color scheme for OKC Parks’ new Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center in northeast Oklahoma City.

The recreation center, to be located in Frederick Douglass Park at 900 N Frederick Douglass Ave., is scheduled to open in 2022 after construction begins this fall.

“The Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center will be a focal point of our northeast Oklahoma City community for years to come. It’s exciting that it is almost time to break ground on the project,” said Ward 7 Councilwoman Nikki Nice. “I want everyone to take part in the opportunity to help determine what the community center will look like. It’s a unique way to play a role in designing something we’ll all enjoy together soon.”

A series of public engagement meetings led to the center’s amenities and design. It will have an indoor aquatic center, fitness room, gymnasium, child watch, social spaces, local art and more.

OKC Parks will tally the votes from the online survey, and the winning color scheme will be included in final construction plans.

The $18 million project is funded by the bond package included in the Better Streets, Safer City program. See project lists and maps at okc.gov/BetterSafer.

It’s named for former Ward 7 Oklahoma City Councilwoman Willa Johnson.

Visit okc.gov/parks for more information about parks and recreation in Oklahoma City.

It looks like a water slide is protruding from the backside. Did they change up a couple of things?

16. Default Re: NE Youth Center

option 3

Blog Entries

MAPS3 Re: NE Youth Center

Glad to hear they are naming this youth center after Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center; hope she's able to be there for the ground-breaking and dedication ceremonies.

Willa has always been a 'voice' in the OKC community; tough woman who we sometimes referred to her as 'Willa the Gorilla.' She is one of few like Thelma 'Reece' Parks that you didn't want coming at you--she would hold you to the highest of standards.

That’s going to be very nice. Kudos OKC

So, this is like a gym? Is there a center that the youths can learn something other than sports such as music, arts, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Oski View Post
    So, this is like a gym? Is there a center that the youths can learn something other than sports such as music, art, etc.?
    From the first post: "The 33,700 square foot building would be built near Douglass High School and feature two large gyms, an indoor pool, fitness equipment, social and learning areas, locker rooms and a child watch center."

Press release:

Oklahoma City opens first recreation center in over 40 years, hosts grand opening July 15
    06/20/2023

The community is invited to attend the grand opening for the Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center, 909 Fredrick Douglass Ave., from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. July 15.

The $17.5 million state-of-the-art recreation center is named after former Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa D. Johnson and is the first multicultural recreation center built by the City of Oklahoma City in more than 40 years.

The celebration will feature a live DJ, community vendors, live demonstrations, events, center tours and free food while supplies last.

“This is a momentous occasion for northeast Oklahoma City,” said Ward 7 Councilwoman Nikki Nice. “Having known former Councilwoman Johnson, I know she was proud to know how this center will benefit and improve the lives of all Oklahoma City residents, especially our young people within northeast Oklahoma City. I encourage everyone to come tour the new Willa D. Johnson Recreation Center, sign up for programs and become a monthly member as we continue to improve health, wellness and recreation within northeast Oklahoma City.”

The multigenerational recreation center is over 38,000 square feet and provides recreational facilities in addition to programming. The center includes a fitness area, lounge, two multipurpose rooms, gym and teaching kitchen. There is also an indoor swimming complex, which is over 4,200 square feet and features a 3,800-square-foot pool with three lap lanes, a current channel, a multipurpose area and a zero-depth beach entry with a water playground.

“We’ve been anticipating this day for a long time,” said Melinda McMillan-Miller, Oklahoma City Parks & Recreation director. “This state-of-the-art facility is the first of its kind in over forty years, and we are so thankful to the residents for their confidence in the Parks and Recreation Department to construct and operate this facility for generations to come."

The center features a mixed media mural titled “Freedom to Dream” created by Ebony Iman Dallas, Quiquia Calhoun, Jarica Walsh and Douglass High School students. Douglass High School was Councilwoman Johnson’s alma mater. The design features Councilwoman Johnson surrounded by children as she encourages them to follow their dreams.

A trailblazer, Councilwoman Johnson was the first black woman to serve on Oklahoma City Council. She represented Ward 7 for 14 years, was a County Commissioner for 11 years and passed away in 2022 at 83 years old.

The building will fully open to the public on July 17. Hours will be from 7 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday and from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Saturday. Adult memberships range from $15 - $25 per month, and memberships for youth range from $10 - $15 per month.

The recreation center is funded by the Better Streets, Safer City Bond Issue approved by voters in 2017. The 10-year, $967 million bond package invests in parks, streets, police and fire facilities and other basic needs.

24. Default Re: NE Youth Center

OKC needs to do better than just opening youth centers every 40 years. This is wonderful and took WAY TOO LONG, but many more are needed throughout the city. Our youth need places to recreate and stimulate their minds and body; new centers are needed on the southside, the SE, the inner north city, the northwest, the north, and the west, and downtown AND we need the transit and sidewalks/lighting/tree-lined streets/bike lanes to get to and from there; then watch the petty crime go way down in the city.

Thread Information