Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 55 12345651 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Boathouse District Boathouse Row

American Indian Cultural Center | Chesapeake Boathouse | Devon Boathouse | Finish Line Tower | Indoor Surf Park | OU Boathouse | Producers Coop | River Connection | River Grandstand | UCO Boathouse | Whitewater Facility | Zip Line

[/center]
    Links

Oklahoma City Riversport
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse6121.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	8795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse6122.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	211.5 KB 
ID:	8796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42012a.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	8797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42012d.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	8798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42012e.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	8799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42012f.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	8800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42112a.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	8801   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42112c.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	207.1 KB 
ID:	8802  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse42112d.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	8803   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse61212.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	8805   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boathouse61218.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	8806  
    Last edited by Pete; 02-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Wow! this venue if completed to this scale would be world class. Let's hope it gets done to this level of quality

I believe OCU, UCO & OU are all getting very close to starting construction.

I also saw on the city website several ground lease documents for a good chunk of property in that area, principally with Bill Canfield's investment group that owns most the surrounding land.

4. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Nice! Thanks for taking the time to post them.

I like how they're getting rid of the rock bank on the N side of the river.

6. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

I'm trying to figure out how they make the water blue.

J/K

If all that comes to pass...WOW. Just WOW. I have zero interest in rowing, but I'd go down there just to see the sights if all that gets built.

Besides rowing, that complex will certainly be used for other outdoor events, such as live music.

I love the idea of using neon/LED lighting of different colors. Could really become iconic with the skyline in the background -- something truly unique that would really distinguish OKC.

What's really amazing is that this was never really considered in the original MAPS plan but soon as the river was properly filled in, somebody said "What if?" and look where we're headed now. Pretty darn amazing.

I sure hope Core to Shore has the same type of unforeseen impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post

What's really amazing is that this was never really considered in the original MAPS plan but soon as the river was properly filled in, somebody said "What if?" and look where we're headed now. Pretty darn amazing.
    We need more of that "what if" atittude. It enables people to dream big and make places such as our once-forgettable river something better than we could have ever imagined.

This city is on the move in the right direction, even with a certain state rep. making foolish comments that the whole nation heard. Hope we can keep this momentum up
    !

Imagine how that's going to look with the skyline (new Devon addition included) just behind it on a warm summer night. When I was growing up, people didn't go near downtown just to take a walk. In the future, I think people are going to visit these kinds of places just to enjoy the beautiful view with their significant other. That's what OKC's destined to become; a place with options, not limitations.
    ...this shortest straw has been pulled for you

Could really become iconic with the skyline in the background -- something truly unique that would really distinguish OKC.
    Totally agree. This is impressive and something I never would have thought off. Kudos to those that thought this up and to those that took the first steps (Chesapeake... see I don't hate them )

Personally I think it is a bit modern. I love the idea just do not like the execution. I like the way the traditional boathouses back east look. I also think they would fit in with the architecture better.

I understand that the point is to stand out ant not blend in.....I applaud the effort and vision.

What will be going on the other side of the river? Besides removingthe rock?

I saw that they were planning to hold a triathlon along the river this spring, although I think it may now be up in the air due to I-40 construction.

However, it's a great idea and a great location for that type of event.

Triathlon is really growing in popularity and besides Redman in the fall (which is a full and half ironman) there aren't a lot of competitions in the state.

The river and bike/running paths are perfect for a medium-length race which is what they planned. If it doesn't come off this year, hopefully it will in 2009.

I agree Pete, although I wouldn't want to swim in that nasty water.

Is it really that nasty? I've seen several comments like this but I've never noticed.

But triathlon swims are almost always in open water and it's certainly never clean and clear. I doubt it would stop many people from participating. I assure you, I've swam in far worse!

Wow!! Fantastic OKC. This is truly visionary architecture that could put the city in a limelight that we never counted on. Reminds me of the type of really controversial, yet exciting architecture of Bruce Goff of OU fame. Now, a 700 foot Devon tower in the background would really shake off the old backwater image of OKC. Any more rumors on possible designs or architectural firms?

16. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Yea the water isn't nasty...The only time I've seen it look nasty is after it rains or after a storm. A triathalon would be soo cool! =]

So impressed with the direction, university participation, contemporary look ect.
    Give the venue 20 yrs and it could host the summer olympics.

The east coast natural beauty of a river is great, but serious people in the sport want a venue akin to what OKC is creating.
    The design is just more inviting and more accomidating for the true athlete in rowing.

have to agree with the above post about our spectacular river and what it has to offer rowers. Mike from the CHK Boathouse mentioned how straight the OK River is in a recent article and how the rowers just loved it. and I think the modern architecture is fantastic - let the Easterners have their collegiate boathouses.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pollard View Post
    Any more rumors on possible designs or architectural firms?
    E+A is doing all of the boathouses, I think.

As for the tower, there's a thread for that.

I read that Rand Elliott was not only designing all the boathouses, but the entire complex -- and at no charge to the city.

I know he'll get a lot of notoriety for this work but it's still pretty darn generous.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Is it really that nasty?
    I wouldn't want to swim in it.

Fecal matter levels to high

What are they going to do about the land on the on the south side of the river? If you look south of the boat house now it looks horiable. There is an old junky train yard there, and behind that there are some some really bad houses. I do not want people coming to OKC to see the ghetto while they watch a boat race.

Certainly, that entire river area has a long way to go.... It's been pretty much a dump for the last several decades.

Here's the long-range plan for the area:

I think David Pollard was asking about possible architects for the Devon Tower - anyone heard rumors on that? Steve . . . you probably have heard something - now tell us first!

There's a separate thread talking about the Devon Tower.

Thread Information