Widgets Magazine
Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34849505152535455 LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 1354

Thread: Boathouse Row

  1. #1301

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    What makes the "Oklahoma River" more polluted, the agriculture runoff or the industrial park runoff? Or is it the one-two punch.

  2. #1302

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    What makes the "Oklahoma River" more polluted, the agriculture runoff or the industrial park runoff? Or is it the one-two punch.
    Ground runoff from all up and down the river and then the manure from the stockyards.

    The latter is why they held one triathlon there and a bunch of people became ill.

  3. #1303

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Always hilarious to me how ugly the river looks after it rains. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately, and I do love this state's red dirt, but man does it look ugly when it's churned up in the river.

  4. #1304

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would be the exact placement of the USS OKC replica:

    https://www.news9.com/story/61b34d84...bmarine-in-okc
    Is this still part of this same project first mentioned in 2017?

  5. #1305

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    ^

    It's the same submarine but I believe the people involved in moving part of it to OKC determined that riverfront site was not going to work, at least as originally proposed.

    That News 9 story said they were hoping to just get the mast back to OKC; not sure where it would be placed.

  6. #1306

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    It said the new hull would be an exact replica of the current sub. Also, the mast from the original would be placed on top and be 15 feet tall. They said they have located some of the large Cannons from the USS Oklahoma that would be a part of the memorial. They also said the monument would be mounted as high as possible so it would be seen from I-40.

    I'm ready to donate to this cause.
    Ahh I gotcha, I saw this ^ comment talking about how the hull was going to be a replica for the initial plan so wasn't sure if they were going to use the original mast with replica hull or what the plan was.

  7. #1307

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    City set to give the Boathouse Foundation another $1.5 million for fiscal year as a 'management fee'.

    We continue to pour money into this even as the city is cutting way back on virtually everything due to the recent and continued shortfalls in sales tax revenue.
    You do great research, but when are you going to figure out what's going on with the tent?

  8. #1308

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowThings View Post
    You do great research, but when are you going to figure out what's going on with the tent?
    It's for e-sports camp starting this summer:

    Introducing Equinox Esports Camp at RIVERSPORT. Video games- they’ve come a long way since Super Mario Bros! Sponsorships, Twitch fame, and even college scholarships are all very real prospects for gamers now. Get you gamer ready with game specific training, competitions, career development and a focus on creating healthy lifestyles while enjoying esports.

  9. #1309
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,117
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Stayed on the USS KIDD Submarine Hotel in Baton Rouge, LA. It was a nice experience.

    USS KIDD:




    This would be a good addition for tourism in Oklahoma City if you could get some parts and replicate the decommissioned USS Oklahoma City [decommissioned June 30, 1947). And let's get that Aquarian built next to it.




    The Meridian Hotel Corridor with the replica of the USS Oklahoma City could be built off Meridian on the Oklahoma River.

  10. #1310
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Russian Invasion of Ukraine Prompts Olympic Watersports Move to OKC
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...er/7074439001/

  11. #1311

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    ^
    Yet again plagiarizing a press release (below) without attribution.



    Press release:

    ***************

    The International Canoe Federation (ICF) today announced that the 2022 Canoe Sprint Super Cup and the 2022 ICF Stand Up Paddling World Cup previously awarded to Moscow, Russia, will be relocated to Oklahoma City, OK, USA.

    The events will occur in August, and the final dates will be announced in early April. The move comes in response to the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) directive to move international competition out of Russia in the wake of the Russian invasion and the war in Ukraine.

    “The ICF and paddlesports family are fortunate and immensely grateful to our friends at the ACA and RIVERSPORT in Oklahoma City, USA, who offered to organize a high-level competition on short notice in these difficult times for the sports in the wake of the war in Ukraine," ICF President, Thomas Konietzko, said.

    "RIVERSPORT hosted the 2021 ICF Super Cup event and has the infrastructure and community support to host the 2022 event successfully. We are thrilled to be able to return to this very exciting venue."

    The ICF reached out to the American Canoe Association (ACA) late last week to explore the possibility of moving both events to Oklahoma City.

    “Even before the ICF approached us, we were exploring options to help Ukrainian athletes. Reallocation of events from Russia to the USA is equally a challenge and an opportunity, and we look forward to welcoming our Ukrainian friends and other international athletes in Oklahoma City this summer,” said Rok Sribar, ACA General Manager High-Performance Programs.

    “When we were approached about stepping up to host the displaced events, it was a resounding yes from everyone involved,” said RIVERSPORT Foundation Board Chairman Michael Ming.

    “Everyone from the governor of the State of Oklahoma to David Holt, the mayor of Oklahoma City to our board members and staff wants to exemplify the Olympic ideal of using sport to build a better world.”

    In 2021 following the Olympic Games in Tokyo, athletes from more than a dozen countries traveled to Oklahoma for the internationally televised Canoe Sprint Super Cup event held on the Oklahoma River. It was the first time for the event to be held at night under the stadium lights on the river.

    “The Oklahoma River is the only sanctioned racecourse in the world to have permanent lighting for night racing,” explained RIVERSPORT Executive Director Mike Knopp.

    “The athletes and spectators worldwide were enthusiastic about the unique racing experience. It just adds another level of excitement to an already adrenaline-fueled event.”

    Previous ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cups have been held in Barnaul, Russia, Linyi, China, and Oklahoma City, USA. The events offer sprint and distance racing for top canoe sprint paddlers worldwide.

    The ICF organized two world-class SUP competitions in 2020 and 2021, including impressively staged world championships in Balatonfured, Hungary. The ICF is reinforcing its commitment to SUP with three World Cup races in addition to its world championships in 2022. In early May, the world cups will be held in Thun, Switzerland, in Budapest, Hungary, in mid-June, and Oklahoma City in August.

    “We’re fortunate that both our racecourse and our racing facilities are large enough to accommodate both events throughout one weekend,” said Knopp. “We’re still working to establish the exact date, but it will be sometime in late August.”

    RIVERSPORT’s board of directors will be working with state and city officials and the business community to provide funding and hospitality for the event.

    “We look forward to hosting athletes and international federations for both events. I know the people of Oklahoma will show them the kind of hospitality we’re known for around the world,” Knopp said.

  12. #1312
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    World competitions along the Oklahoma River expected to attract thousands to OKC
    https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...on/7309754001/

  13. #1313

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^
    The International Canoe Federation (ICF) today announced that the 2022 Canoe Sprint Super Cup and the 2022 ICF Stand Up Paddling World Cup previously awarded to Moscow, Russia, will be relocated to Oklahoma City, OK, USA. The events will occur in August, and the final dates will be announced in early April. The move comes in response to the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) directive to move international competition out of Russia in the wake of the Russian invasion and the war in Ukraine.

    “The ICF and paddlesports family are fortunate and immensely grateful to our friends at the ACA and RIVERSPORT in Oklahoma City, USA, who offered to organize a high-level competition on short notice in these difficult times for the sports in the wake of the war in Ukraine," ICF President, Thomas Konietzko, said.

    "RIVERSPORT hosted the 2021 ICF Super Cup event and has the infrastructure and community support to host the 2022 event successfully. We are thrilled to be able to return to this very exciting venue."

    The ICF reached out to the American Canoe Association (ACA) late last week to explore the possibility of moving both events to Oklahoma City.

    “Even before the ICF approached us, we were exploring options to help Ukrainian athletes. Reallocation of events from Russia to the USA is equally a challenge and an opportunity, and we look forward to welcoming our Ukrainian friends and other international athletes in Oklahoma City this summer,” said Rok Sribar, ACA General Manager High-Performance Programs.

    “When we were approached about stepping up to host the displaced events, it was a resounding yes from everyone involved,” said RIVERSPORT Foundation Board Chairman Michael Ming.

    “Everyone from the governor of the State of Oklahoma to David Holt, the mayor of Oklahoma City to our board members and staff wants to exemplify the Olympic ideal of using sport to build a better world.”

    In 2021 following the Olympic Games in Tokyo, athletes from more than a dozen countries traveled to Oklahoma for the internationally televised Canoe Sprint Super Cup event held on the Oklahoma River. It was the first time for the event to be held at night under the stadium lights on the river.

    “The Oklahoma River is the only sanctioned racecourse in the world to have permanent lighting for night racing,” explained RIVERSPORT Executive Director Mike Knopp.

    “The athletes and spectators worldwide were enthusiastic about the unique racing experience. It just adds another level of excitement to an already adrenaline-fueled event.”

    Previous ICF Canoe Sprint Super Cups have been held in Barnaul, Russia, Linyi, China, and Oklahoma City, USA. The events offer sprint and distance racing for top canoe sprint paddlers worldwide. The ICF organized two world-class SUP competitions in 2020 and 2021, including impressively staged world championships in Balatonfured, Hungary. The ICF is reinforcing its commitment to SUP with three World Cup races in addition to its world championships in 2022. In early May, the world cups will be held in Thun, Switzerland, in Budapest, Hungary, in mid-June, and Oklahoma City in August.

    “We’re fortunate that both our racecourse and our racing facilities are large enough to accommodate both events throughout one weekend,” said Knopp. “We’re still working to establish the exact date, but it will be sometime in late August.”

    RIVERSPORT’s board of directors will be working with state and city officials and the business community to provide funding and hospitality for the event.

    “We look forward to hosting athletes and international federations for both events. I know the people of Oklahoma will show them the kind of hospitality we’re known for around the world,” Knopp said.
    Welp, time for OKC to shoot upwards. A shot at the international stage doesn't come often, nor is it awarded to someplace many would call a "fly-over state". The local economy is going to be in for a boom the next few years, even if it goes badly. At worst, it'll incentivize infrastructure upgrades and more amenities will look to be established. At best, this puts the city on the global stage for more business to look to advertise and build here. Either way, the city's direction is certain to go upwards from here on, despite some other specific discussions that are best to be saved for other forums.

  14. #1314

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
    Welp, time for OKC to shoot upwards. A shot at the international stage doesn't come often, nor is it awarded to someplace many would call a "fly-over state". The local economy is going to be in for a boom the next few years, even if it goes badly. At worst, it'll incentivize infrastructure upgrades and more amenities will look to be established. At best, this puts the city on the global stage for more business to look to advertise and build here. Either way, the city's direction is certain to go upwards from here on, despite some other specific discussions that are best to be saved for other forums.
    It certainly won't hurt and is great for the city, but aren't these events occurring in August? How much in the way of infrastructure upgrades and the like can really get done before then?

  15. #1315

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    It certainly won't hurt and is great for the city, but aren't these events occurring in August? How much in the way of infrastructure upgrades and the like can really get done before then?
    I don't think they can do much this time around, but they need to try and knock 2026 events out the park.

  16. Default Re: Boathouse Row

    ................ Just the very words "previously awarded to Moscow, Russia, will be relocated to Oklahoma City, OK, USA...... " There's something striking about that.

  17. Default Re: Boathouse Row

    .......... and this..... "In early May, the world cups will be held in Thun, Switzerland, in Budapest, Hungary, in mid-June, and Oklahoma City in August."

    There should be T-shirts printed..... "Thun, Budapest, Oklahoma City"

  18. #1318
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This would be the exact placement of the USS OKC replica:

    Wondering if this development will move this initiative along:

    https://www.okc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/4130/18

    Efforts are underway to preserve the ship’s sail and bring it back to Oklahoma City as a tribute to Oklahoma City’s naval history.

  19. #1319

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Got a good laugh from this https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...et/9752549002/
    "What attracts apartment investors to OKC? More than the money to be made: Investors dropped nearly $1 billion buying up apartment complexes in Oklahoma City last year. The Boathouse District, MAPS, low unemployment -- more than potential return on investment is attracting apartment investors to Oklahoma City."

  20. #1320

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    ^

    The Oklahoman and the Boathouse Foundation have a financial arrangement, which is the main reason they are always promoting it in their stories and why they don't delve into the large and seemingly never-ending public subsidies.

  21. #1321

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

    The Oklahoman and the Boathouse Foundation have a financial arrangement, which is the main reason they are always promoting it in their stories and why they don't delve into the large and seemingly never-ending public subsidies.
    Why do you think the subsidies are still necessary to such a large extent there? I know the COO pretty well and would love to get his take on it some time. The organization brings a ton of outdoor recreational value that was never really present in OKC before it existed(something I’ve come to really appreciate since moving to Tulsa), so I think keeping the organization going is absolutely in the city’s best interest but you’d think it could at least come closer to breaking even by now. I feel like they could also do quite a bit to expand their programs at overhulser/stichcomb and Hefner and probably a bunch of other stuff they could do to drive more revenue but everything does always feel fairly crowded in season.

  22. #1322

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    It's hard to imagine how it will ever generate enough revenue to offset its ongoing expenses, let alone come close to recouping any of the tens of millions in public investment.

    It is definitely an asset to the city and I am not advocating we completely cut them off, but they keep coming back for more and more, each time promising that whatever new thing they want to do on the taxpayer's dime will THIS time add profitability.

    Unless it's a very nice summer weekend day, there is almost no one down there apart from the rowing teams. I doubt many posters here go down there on a regular basis, if at all.

    It is what it is, I would just like to see more honesty and transparency especially when they are asking for yet another public handout.

  23. #1323
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Not sure if this deserves its own article, but apparently there's a "smashcade" now on the second floor of the whitewater center (didn't even know there was a second floor).

    https://twitter.com/Jelloicy_/status...01388667658243

    Linked in tweet:
    https://www.visitokc.com/articles/po...ouse-district/

  24. #1324

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Not sure if this deserves its own article, but apparently there's a "smashcade" now on the second floor of the whitewater center (didn't even know there was a second floor).

    https://twitter.com/Jelloicy_/status...01388667658243

    Linked in tweet:
    https://www.visitokc.com/articles/po...ouse-district/
    So it's basically a gaming-focused cyber cafe? I didn't know those were coming back into style. Interesting.

  25. #1325
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6,697
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Boathouse Row

    "eSports" training center maybe?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tulsa will vote on riverfront plan
    By metro in forum Suburban & Other OK Communities
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 01:01 PM
  2. City to fund master plan for downtown outdoor spaces
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 08:07 PM
  3. Chesepeake Master Plan Revealed
    By Pete in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 05:28 PM
  4. Research Park Master Plan
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 01:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO