Widgets Magazine
Page 50 of 55 FirstFirst ... 45464748495051525354 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1354

Thread: Boathouse Row

Blog Entries

Default Re: Boathouse Row

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Would be cool to see a smaller version of this built here: https://www.wharfdc.com/wharf/

if on the south side of the river with a skyline view, I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    How is this a cash cow? They have been losing millions every year for the last 5 years.
    From the previous article; ďA recent study found the district's direct economic impact is $23 million annually.Ē

This is all money that goes back into our cities businesses, if you factor that in, its a different story. I get that the headlines make this a bit worrisome but that place is obviously complex. Also, where is the info that they are loosing millions per year? That would be interesting to look at I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is the feeling now that we should never have done this project?
    I donít think anyone is suggesting that. Itís a great asset to the city even if itís not generating a profit. Sounds like the financial issues stem from mismanagement more than lack of viability. Though I agree with Dan and others, there needs to be more entertainment options, housing or other developments nearby to draw people. I think there needs to be a lot more in the way of beautification on the river in general (which it sounds like is about to happen), a boardwalk or something to hide the stone rip rap would be cool. I donít know what it is but the rip rap banks just look awful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    if on the south side of the river with a skyline view, I agree
    What? You wouldn’t want to have a view of the old railyard and industrial areas instead???

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    where is the info that they are loosing millions per year? That would be interesting to look at I think.
    Their tax returns, which are public.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    From the previous article; ďA recent study found the district's direct economic impact is $23 million annually.Ē

This is all money that goes back into our cities businesses, if you factor that in, its a different story. I get that the headlines make this a bit worrisome but that place is obviously complex. Also, where is the info that they are loosing millions per year? That would be interesting to look at I think.
    That so called study would be more persuasive if it was known who did it, who commissioned it and the methodology. The fact that the article was in the Disappointment makes me wonder these things.

The water quality is truly terrible, with effluent runoff from the stockyards mixed with chemicals from the rail yard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Would be cool to see a smaller version of this built here: https://www.wharfdc.com/wharf/

The forest of cranes by Nationals Park in DC is incredible. The only thing anything close to it was was years ago when Sprint's campus in Overland Park was being built. But this is even larger.

9. Default Re: Boathouse Row

Can someone call up Gary Brooks and put one of his multi family projects on the south side of the river like the posts above? I know he is a bit busy with the FNC but at least put it on the pipeline of projects now that the Steelyard and Terra Norman are done.

Blog Entries

he's probably pretty tied up with FNC right now (and for the next 2-3 years probably)

11. Default Re: Boathouse Row

Isn't that how long it will take to put something like this together?

Blog Entries

Probably, and with a "typical" development, where he's maybe not so hands on I'd be like yeah he has the pipeline for that, but he seems so dug in on the FNC effort, I'm not sure that's the case currently.

I smirk to myself everytime I see pics of here, with the same pointy buildings and sidewalk locations that make no sense other than it might look cool from above. This place has very little character unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I smirk to myself everytime I see pics of here, with the same pointy buildings and sidewalk locations that make no sense other than it might look cool from above. This place has very little character unfortunately.
    And there are zero trees, which really makes everything feel very stark and cold.

And makes spectating hotter than blazes during the summer months.

HangryHippo Guest

Yeah, the north bank desperately needs trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yeah, the north bank desperately needs trees!
    I'm sure that is part of the Rand Elliott design, although I'm not sure he's going to be involved in future projects down there.

For the life if me I can't understand why they don't plant trees. If I knew who to contact, I would leave a message everyday until I got a response.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    For the life if me I can't understand why they don't plant trees. If I knew who to contact, I would leave a message everyday until I got a response.
    If you find out, be sure and share and I'll join you in calling.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin lee View Post
    Go to okc.gov, find out which ward this is in, contact appropriate city councilperson (or contact your councilperson), they should be able to direct you appropriately, that's part of their (or their assistant's) job...

Funny that people comment that this has no character or is the same pointy buildings repeated. Two of the boathouses have been noted as being the top in the world https://architizer.com/blog/inspirat...ons/boathouse/

As far as trees, yes, more please. The original reason for not planting many was to not obstruct the maneuverability of the long boats. They should have those patterns identified by now and plant where it makes sense.

Talked to Elizabeth from the boathouse foundation (nice lady). Basically she said
    A) Boathouse district was designed by Rand Elliot and part of his vision is the large expanses of lawn surrounding each building.
    B) They recognized the need for shade and they've planted a few trees but it takes years to reach a size to have impact in a setting as large as theirs. As a nonprofit they are always on a tight budget. BUT if anyone knows donors who might be interested in helping add landscape or trees they'd welcome them.
    C) They do have great news though. This summer you can cool off on the new 600ft water slide, Slide The Rapids. And in 2020 thanks to MAPS, they're planning on adding another water feature to make it easier to cool off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    In the first frame did they edit the video to make the water appear blue, or does it actually look like that now?

Blog Entries

Maybe this was filmed just after it got filled up and before storms that make it brown?

Thread Information