Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

There is a partial dam and the rowing is done upstream of the dam closer to downtown.

Here is a link for you. They are actually adding onto their boathouse that the Tulsa Rowing Club and Tulsa University share, at a fraction of the cost of the sterile blinding overpriced Rand Elliott folded pieces of paper.

Tulsa Rowing Club | Home Page

Quote Originally Posted by sroberts24 View Post
    yeah devon first but they are doing a lot of dirt work much for a long distance down the river so i'm thinkin they mite be preparing the grounds and landscaping for all the boathouses, whenever they mite be built
    if you scroll back a page or two, this is for utilities and city easements I believe someone said

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    ..the sterile blinding overpriced Rand Elliott folded pieces of paper.

LOL.... wow... keep saying it maybe someone will agree with you. j/k

and how would l/a know anything about Elliott's pricing? back it up if you make that type of statement

I do agree with la on the trees. What happened to the "reforestation" that was promised with MAPS? We seriously need vegetation along the river.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    There is a partial dam and the rowing is done upstream of the dam closer to downtown.

Here is a link for you. They are actually adding onto their boathouse that the Tulsa Rowing Club and Tulsa University share, at a fraction of the cost of the sterile blinding overpriced Rand Elliott folded pieces of paper.

Tulsa Rowing Club | Home Page

That boathouse looks like a barn. I'm much happier with Elliot's designs.

can you provide a link to TU boathouse? I can't find it on that webpage, most of the links are broken or programming errors.

This is what Tulsa is TRYING to build as an upgrade to their existing facilities:

^^^ Wow!!! Talk about state of the art boathouse!! That boathouse looks absolutely amazing!! Haha obviously I'm kidding.

According to this memo from the OKC Riverfront Development Authority from February of this year:

The Devon Boathouse (OCU) is expected to cover some 31,000 square feet. Similarly, programming for the University of Oklahoma Boathouse has been completed and the project is well into the detailed design phase. University of Oklahoma officials have established a design footprint for approximately 16,000 square feet for their facility. A DVD-based architectural walkthrough video of the University of Central Oklahoma Boathouse has been produced and presented to University officials and major project stakeholders. The UCO boathouse, which incorporates a small art gallery and UCO Jazz Lab annex, will cover approximately 27,000 square feet. By comparison, the size of the existing Chesapeake Community Boathouse is approximately 14,000 square feet.
    A series of large, national and international events is being planned, beginning in Fall 2010, when the Devon Boathouse should be nearing completion.
    It is expected that the OU facility will begin construction within 60-90 days of the Devon boathouse groundbreaking, with both projects expected to be wrapped up by October 2010.
    http://www.okc.gov/agendapub/cache/2...9040624378.PDF

Well, when I was in Philadelphia I was VERY impressed and wowed by their Boathouse Row, to already consider us in the same league as them (with only one boathouse thus far), is perplexing, but I'm still proud of OKC's honor! I would say OKC is just a refreshing twist for the sport.

Schuylkill Navy of Philadelphia

It sounds like the finish line tower, OCU and OU boathouses will all be under construction in the next six months and take about a year to finish.

Not only will this be great rowing venue, looks like all those facilities will be available for a variety of events as well.

Soonerfan1 read some articles!

All the articles I have read say $10 million for the Devon OCU boathouse. The Finish Line tower is $5 million. Don't think that Rand is not getting a big chunk of that. It doesn't take more than a million to do all of the dirt work.

I didn't say I liked the Tulsa design. It is just a fraction of the cost. Like the one in Philadelphia, there are tons of different designs that blend into the environment better.

Rand's design is good for anywhere but the river! It belongs in a parking lot void of nature. Plants would take away from its design, so I don't see them incorporating more than a few trees here and there.

It's not supposed to "blend" in, it is meant to be an iconic element along a man made canal, which is what that section of the river has always been in that location. It's a river in the middle of the city, it's not supposed to look like an idyllic river in The River Runs Through It. Yes they could do a better job of landscaping it but it will never look like a "natural" because it isn't and I don't think it should. Rivers in cities never look "natural", the Charles in Boston, the Chicago River in Chicago, neither of those are "natural" but yet they seem to work.

What would you consider a "big chunk" because I bet his fee is much less than you think it is, it almost always is much lower than what the movies make it look like what architects make. The only "rich" architects that I have known had family money, a spouse that made stupid amounts of money or got into the development business themselves and had some successful projects.

don't need to read articles (although have done plenty) to know arch. fees are usually based on % of cost. the amount of time he will spend in design will correspond on the project size. anyone else gonna do a crap load of work for pennies?

16. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

You'd be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan21 View Post
    don't need to read articles (although have done plenty) to know arch. fees are usually based on % of cost. the amount of time he will spend in design will correspond on the project size.
    What do you think his percentage would be?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerfan21 View Post
    anyone else gonna do a crap load of work for pennies?
    It seems like we are every month, I think we are taking work too cheap but it isn't my decision.

You can blow by your projected hours very quickly when dealing with a "design" project with constant owner changes and then value engineering/phasing. I am living through it right now on an inherited project, we are 900 hours over (which is more than double what was projected) and still have to issue CD's and the owner doesn't feel he owes anymore to us on a project that was well under what the standard percentage was, even before the bids came back double of what the original preliminary design estimate was. Based on the latest bids, our fee was less than a quarter of standard.

Blue,

Are you local?

I hear you on project fees, I am on the structural engineering side.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    What do you think his percentage would be?

It seems like we are every month, I think we are taking work too cheap but it isn't my decision.

You can blow by your projected hours very quickly when dealing with a "design" project with constant owner changes and then value engineering/phasing. I am living through it right now on an inherited project, we are 900 hours over (which is more than double what was projected) and still have to issue CD's and the owner doesn't feel he owes anymore to us on a project that was well under what the standard percentage was, even before the bids came back double of what the original preliminary design estimate was. Based on the latest bids, our fee was less than a quarter of standard.

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner View Post
    Blue,

Are you local?

I hear you on project fees, I am on the structural engineering side.
    I was until 2003 when I moved to Austin.

20. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Ground broken for Devon Boathouse:

http://newsok.com/ground-broken-for-...adlines_widget

Here is a neat video of the Devon/OCU boathouse. It will also have an indoor pool and indoor water rowing pool.

Inline Article Video Player

Just got an e-mail from a friend of mine that works at the boathouse and Mike Knopp has started a blog. So you can follow the Oklahoma River Development from the man himself.

Oklahoma River: A Vision for the Future

Great! Thanks for posting that.

Checking the various blogs, I found some photos that show the OCU (Devon) and OU boathouses are coming along... Still slated to be complete in about a year.

Not sure when they plan to start on the finishing tower. In the foreground is the prow for OCU and the OU site is being readied behind (this is from mid-September):

Thread Information