Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567853 ... LastLast

Thread: Boathouse Row

Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

The man made rapids would be really cool. Denver features some on the small river that runs near downtown, right next to REI. Another cool thing about it was that just down the river from the man made rapids was sort of a wading pool/shallow area created by the river where lots of people hang out and relax on the shore/grass. But that makes me wonder, is the Oklahoma River clean enough that people wouldnt mind getting in?

2. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

The types that would use the rapids wouldn't care about a little dirt. Mom's and their little kids, that's another story.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    The types that would use the rapids wouldn't care about a little dirt. Mom's and their little kids, that's another story.
    As one of those who would gladly put a boat into a whitewater course often, it's not so much the dirt as the little microbes and other infectious creatures swimming in the river. But ear and nose plugs can work wonders.

4. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

I've not heard of any kind of dangerous microbes in Oklahoma waters except for stagnant ponds.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

I wasnt really referring to bacteria but more the actual dirtiness of the water. I know the kayaking types wouldnt care less but Im not sure about people swimming or playing in shallow areas of the river. Thats assuming a wading pool/family recreation area would even be created.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrown84 View Post
    I've not heard of any kind of dangerous microbes in Oklahoma waters except for stagnant ponds.

http://newsok.com/article/2952223/?template=news/main

7. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Hopefully that's improved as it was 2 1/2 years ago.
    Don't Edmond My Downtown

Well, if you fall in the river it's best to take a shower shortly there after.

LOL, I ain't swimmin in it. Just sayin....

noticed a lot of new hotels have popped up and looks like there are quite a few more about to rise up over on meridian, anybody have any details on all of them?

New Oklahoma River tower planned
    by Associated Press
    May 20, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – Chesapeake Energy Corp. is planning to give more than $5 million to Oklahoma City to build a four-story tower along the Oklahoma River.

Plans for the so-called Finish Line Tower are to be unveiled at a news conference at the Chesapeake Boathouse on Thursday that will include Chesapeake founder Aubrey McClendon and architect Rand Elliott. Elliott designed the Chesapeake Boathouse. A row of college boathouses are also planned along the river.

http://journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recID=98818

Sweet! That's a big part of the Boathouse Row master plan (see the original post for renderings).

Must be close to getting started on the OU and OCU boathouses, too.

Those are not renderings. That is a rough video they put together. You can't even tell how big they will be. They have not released any of the construction details or renderings. Look at how specifice the Devon Tower design is and you will see what I mean.

I've seen the renderings and it looks pretty good. There will also be some "sound towers" and other features along the river shore. I'm not sure if it's part of the Chesapeake donation or funded seperately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Brzycki View Post
    Must be close to getting started on the OU and OCU boathouses, too.
    I was working at the triathalon Sunday and saw that they had already started dirt work on the OCU boathouse. There is also a large sign with the OCU boathouse renderings facing west toward the bridge.

yeah, they've broken ground several weeks back. I took pics with my phone, I will try and post some soon for those interested.

Those are not renderings. That is a rough video they put together.
    Just meant the conceptual plan, I (and I think everyone else) realize those aren't construction drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    I was working at the triathalon Sunday and saw that they had already started dirt work on the OCU boathouse. There is also a large sign with the OCU boathouse renderings facing west toward the bridge.
    Sorry if this obvious for people in OKC, but is the OCU boathouse the same building as the Devon boathouse?

I understand all of the launch-area cutouts have been excavated...other photos?

Anything started on the OU boathouse yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Noir View Post
    Sorry if this obvious for people in OKC, but is the OCU boathouse the same building as the Devon boathouse?

I understand all of the launch-area cutouts have been excavated...other photos?

Anything started on the OU boathouse yet?
    Devon donated $5 million to OCU to sponsor their boathouse so it will be the Devon OCU boathouse. The OU boathouse got a $2 million gift from Aubrey McClendon. So it will probably be the Aubrey McClendon OU boathouse.

20. Default Re: Boathouse Row Master Plan

Was McClendon's gift on margin? He may have to give take it back. Bwahaha.

Chesapeake backs $5 million finish line tower on Oklahoma River
    BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: May 21, 2009

Chesapeake Energy is backing construction of a $5 million finish line tower as part of a push to turn the Oklahoma River into one of the country’s top rowing venues.

The announcement Thursday at the Chesapeake Boathouse included a presentation of a framed rendering of the tower from McClendon to Mayor Mick Cornett.

“On this 20th anniversary of the founding of our company, we wanted to recognize the incredible role this city and state have played in our success for the past 20 years,” McClendon said. “While our company has expanded its reach and opportunity to become the nation’s largest independent producer of clean-burning natural gas, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to our Oklahoma values of hard work, creativity, integrity and service.”

McClendon said the company has contributed more than $80 million to non-profit organizations across the country and wanted to make a gift to its hometown that would bring it closer to “becoming a truly world-class venue for rowing, canoeing and kayaking training and competition.”

Elliott, who won national recognition for his design of the boathouse, said he anticipates the tower will be seen as an icon along the river.

“This is a remarkable gesture from one of the most exceptional corporations in our city. Chesapeake is an Oklahoma business success story,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “While we celebrate this milestone in the young history of the company, we look forward with increased excitement as natural gas plays a much bigger role in America’s new energy future, a future built on the greater use of alternative and renewable energy sources.”

Construction is expected to start within six months and will last one year.

The Chesapeake Finish Line Tower is designed to meet guidelines established by FISA, the international governing body for the sport of rowing. The tower will be used throughout the year for both race events and community activities.

http://newsok.com/chesapeake-backs-5...ad_story_title

pretty cool!

Sweet!

Chesapeake Finish Line plan rows into sight after gift

BY STEVE LACKMEYER
    Published: May 22, 2009

Chesapeake Energy is backing construction of a $5 million finish line tower as part of a push to turn the Oklahoma River into one of the country’s top rowing venues.

The structure, designed by architect Rand Elliott, will be named the Chesapeake Finish Line Tower. Aubrey McClendon, co-founder and chief executive officer of Chesapeake, said the tower is being presented as a gift to Oklahoma City in recognition of the significant role the community has played in the company’s success the past two decades.

The announcement Thursday at the Chesapeake Boathouse included a presentation of a framed rendering of the tower from McClendon to Mayor Mick Cornett.

"On this 20th anniversary of the founding of our company, we wanted to recognize the incredible role this city and state have played in our success for the past 20 years,” McClendon said. "While our company has expanded its reach and opportunity to become the nation’s largest independent producer of clean-burning natural gas, we have remained steadfast in our commitment to our Oklahoma values of hard work, creativity, integrity and service.”

McClendon said the company has contributed more than $80 million to nonprofit organizations across the country and wanted to make a gift to its hometown that would bring it closer to "becoming a truly world-class venue for rowing, canoeing and kayaking training and competition.”

Elliott, who won national recognition for his design of the boathouse, said he anticipates the tower will be seen as an icon along the river.

"This is a remarkable gesture from one of the most exceptional corporations in our city. Chesapeake is an Oklahoma business success story,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. "While we celebrate this milestone in the young history of the company, we look forward with increased excitement as natural gas plays a much bigger role in America’s new energy future, a future built on the greater use of alternative and renewable energy sources.”

Construction is expected to start within six months and will last one year.
    World competition

The Chesapeake Finish Line Tower is designed to meet guidelines established by FISA, the international governing body for the sport of rowing. The tower will be used throughout the year for both race events and community activities.

"We currently have a world-class 2000 meter race course which has attracted a great deal of attention both nationally and internationally,” said Mike Knopp, executive director of the Oklahoma City Boathouse Foundation.

"Adding this incredible finish line tower, which will meet international competition standards, will significantly strengthen the Oklahoma River race course as a world-class venue. It will be, without question, among the best regatta venue facilities in the world.”

http://newsok.com/chesapeake-finish-...ad_story_title

Very cool and detailed video from Newsok.com:

Inline Article Video Player

Thread Information